Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:08:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 191
Total: 191

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Christmas movies, songs, and family traditions  (Read 6103 times)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Christmas movies, songs, and family traditions
« on: December 11, 2009, 08:07:22 pm »
We still haven't put up a Christmas tree or any other decorations.  At this late date, looks like we're not going to, either.  I have yet to buy, let alone send, any cards.  Tomorrow our Menorah will be taken out and the first of the candles lit.  Bring on the fried foods!

However unfestive our house looks, we pulled out our collection of Christmas movies to begin our 2 week marathon.  Tonight we're watching "Polar Express".  What are your favorite holiday movies to watch?  Are there any that need to be returned to the vault - never to be seen again?  What about the 30-minute cartoon specials that used to fill the evening: Baby New Year, Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer, The Land of Lost (or forgotten) Toys? 

While we're at it - what about songs, recipes, or family traditions?
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Christmas movies, songs, and family traditions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 08:28:08 pm »
Every Christmas Eve since we've lived in Richmond, Sid and I head out to the old Byrd Theater and see It's a Wonderful Life for $1.99 -- they have an old organ that they play before the movie, that ends with a Christmas sing-a-long.  Cheesy??  yeah, but it's fun.

Each Christmas morning, after we open presents, we put on White Christmas.  I had never seen that movie until I met Sid, now I can't imagine Christmas Day without it.

Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:50:07 pm »
Oh, I have to see "A Christmas Carol" starring Alister Sim every year.  And I make Fannie May fudge, and molasses cookies, and one other kind of fudge.  This year butterscotch fudge was it.  And I put a wreath on the door, and a few Christmas lights on the porch.  I also have a red wagon on my porch, and every year I go to Goodwill to look for random decorations to put on it. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline MarkB

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:10:35 pm »
I will follow an old custom, and place a light in a darkened window to guide the way of strangers.

:)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 10:23:36 pm »
"It's a Wonderful Life"!!!! The best, great to curl up in jammies with a nice cup of Sleepy Time Tea! I've done this religiously for the last 15 or so years, It just wouldnt be Xmas without "Its a Wonderful Life"! Which reminds me I need to dig up the DVD and perhaps buy another box of Sleepy time.

Bocker, that sounds so cool... xmas eve, Old Organ, Its a Wond Life....good times.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 07:19:57 am »

What about the 30-minute cartoon specials that used to fill the evening: Baby New Year, Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer, The Land of Lost (or forgotten) Toys? 

"Used to..."? ??? Don't they show those old cartoons any more? What a shame! This will be my 20th Christmas on the Rock and those shows are something I've always missed over here. One of my favourites was the Charlie Brown one - can't remember what it was called, probably "A Charlie Brown Christmas" or something equally as obvious.

I don't really have any Christmas traditions these days. Since my daughter's father and I broke up, she and her father usually travel to the mainland to be with his mum, so I haven't seen the point to  putting up decorations or whatever. Christmas is for the kids, after all. To me, it's just a quiet day that I share with my bf and a few close friends. But I do miss those old cartoons!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 07:50:04 am »
"Used to..."? ??? Don't they show those old cartoons any more? What a shame!

They still show some, but it's not like it used to be.  Yesterday I saw like a box set of the old cartoons, like "Frosty," "Rudolph," etc. It cost $25.  And I saw an advertisement on t.v. about a Charlie Brown boxset that has that famous "Charlie Brown Christmas" in it, along with 3 other holiday cartoons. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:08:07 am »
Some years I can really just enjoy seeing lotsa red and shiny decorations around the city. I sure did love it when my kids were KIDS and they used to go searching for their presents beforehand and/or begging/torturing me to let them have JUST ONE of them early. And then my having to resort to storing their gifts with a neighbor across the hall. Who later told me the boys had come over and attempted to negotiate with them about checking out their gifts. Oh, the fun of it all.

What remains a pretty constant pleasure through the years is enjoying the music. Two faves are Mahalia Jackson's album and the tippy top rockin' best of all, A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector with the Ronettes, Darlene Love and that gang on Santa Claus Lane.

Oh yah!

Andy Velez

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 09:16:37 am »
Now that I live alone as an AIDS spinster I have no traditions.  I don't even put a wreath on the door like the other single people in my building do.

But lately once I'm home with my parents I've developed the desire to make a yearly huge gouda cheese and potato gratin, as well as a delicious bourbon soaked bread pudding.

I spend as much time traveling in a car at Christmas as I do actually celebrating it, so it's a bit of a chore.  Since I go down to my brother's in Raleigh the day after Christmas it just adds to the drama.  Next year I'm going to buy a one-way airline ticket back.  Oh, and the annual mother/sister-in-law drama doesn't help either.  What is it with women that they can't play nice around each other?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 01:32:02 pm »
I saw a patrick swayze christmas movie the other day it was awful. Terrible dreck.  Christmas in Wonderland.  More like christmas in C-movie hell.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 01:45:59 pm »
In terms of seasonal television programming, my favorite is the minor 1970's classic The Year Without a Santa Claus which features the hilarious Heat Miser and Snow Miser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yon2YuXssvo
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:40:32 pm »
Tequila Butter Cookies

1 Bottle Cuervo 1800
4 Egg Yolks
2 Cups Butter
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla
4 Cups Flour
jelly, almonds, chocolate chips (optional)

The first step is to check quality... pour yourself 1 shot of tequila.  Is it as expected (I personally never use lime or salt).  Preheat Oven to 350 and please feel free to retest the tequila for consistency.  Pour yourself another shot and beat the Egg Yolks until foamy and the color of lemon. ADD Butter, pour yourself another shot of tequila, add sugar, and Vanilla and mix well. Doesn't another shot of tequila sound real good about now? Indulge yourself, have another shot. ADD Flour gradually and combine thoroughly. Quality check time, have another shot of tequila. Pinch off pieces of the mixture (marble size) and place on a greased cookie sheet  OPTIONAL: Make a depression in each and fill with jelly, almonds, or chocolate chips. Bake for 10 minutes and treat yourself to another shot of tequila. Watch carefully, the cookies will not turn brown. The bottom will get a very light brown. Yields 4 Dozen

;D Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 03:44:04 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 05:41:03 pm »
In terms of seasonal television programming, my favorite is the minor 1970's classic The Year Without a Santa Claus which features the hilarious Heat Miser and Snow Miser.

Isn't Heat Miser (or his hair) part of the cast of "Jersey Shore"?

Love the show you mention + "March of the Wooden Soldiers" with Laurel and Hardy!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Texan38

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 06:21:00 pm »
I have more of a memory.....my aunt's house, a live Christmas tree which filled her house of fresh pine, lights, decorations and a fireplace roaring while I was sitting on the carpeted floor with a 7 month old puppy they had just gotten as a gift. Suddenly, I saw snow outside the windows of the living room slowly begin to fall.
The silence, the smell of pine, the puppy breath.....it was and is the best memory of Christmas I will ever have.

Merry Christmas All!

:-*
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 07:28:52 pm »

I like the movie Christmas Story, something about that movie makes me feel good.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 07:32:15 pm »
I love A Christmas Story. It cracks me up every time.

Mr. Parker: Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian.
Mrs. Parker: Uh, I think that says FRAGILE, dear.
Mr. Parker: Oh, yeah.

I think Herbie from Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer was one of the first gay characters I identified with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwlOUAAyPQE&feature=fvw
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 07:42:29 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 05:48:40 am »
I love A Christmas Story. It cracks me up every time.

Mr. Parker: Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian.
Mrs. Parker: Uh, I think that says FRAGILE, dear.
Mr. Parker: Oh, yeah.

LOL... remember after the dogs got into their kitchen and ate the Christmas turkey? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WcFObgYhI
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 07:26:30 am »

I think Herbie from Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer was one of the first gay characters I identified with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7usbZhBMIjE ;)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 07:49:08 am »
Based on an Actual letter written in 1897...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aevy8jIBZmM&feature=related

Ray
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:56:52 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 07:58:59 am »
Andy, all the kids' stuff is right outside the door that leads from their playroom to the garage.  If they just opened that door, WHAMO! they'd find their booty still in the store bags. If I earnestly tried to hide it from them, they'd find it.  I'm still not finished with the shopping - haven't thought about it since Black Friday.  Doesn't help that the kids haven't asked for anything.  Guess I need to get on that - I'm usually done by Black Friday.

While we're on the trend of favorites - what your favorite gift to give or a favorite gift you've received?

Watched the end of "It's a Wonderful Life" last night.  That movie never gets old.

Mum

www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 10:17:22 am »
Since I just left behind every Christmas tradition I ever had over the last 25 yrs (why I even had to give away my Christmas tree cause it wouldn't fit in the Uhaul ::)), and since the leaves have barely even fallen off the trees and the temps are still in the 50s here in SC; instead of the ground being covered in white, and the temps barely able to get into the 30s like it was in OH all those years, it doesn't "feel" like Christmas time at all. It's very weird and feels like Thanksgiving should be coming around again.  ::)

Some years I had been lucky enough to get early Christmas presents (sometimes paid for by family, sometimes by friends, and sometimes even by co-workers) of being able to fly back home to attend the family Holiday get-together. It'll be nice not having to go through my usual Holiday traditions of checking my luggage, taking off my shoes, or worrying that my shampoo has too much liquid and will be confiscated to see them this year. :D ;D

Since the Family get-together is held the weekend before Christmas (because my brothers' traditions are to take their families to their wives' parents' houses on Christmas Day), a friend and I are going to Myrtle Beach for the weekend. ;D Trapped up in landlocked Ohio, I haven't seen the beach in over 25 years :o and I can't wait to walk on the sand and wade in the surf. No matter how cold it is, I plan to get a pix of me smiling in my speedos on the sand to make all my old COLD Ohio friends envious. ROFLMAO

What a change of tradition this could become to be at the beach instead of buried under snow. I think I might like this change. ;) ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7usbZhBMIjE ;)
that was brillant! ;D thanks 4 the link :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 08:10:57 pm »

YAY PHILICIA!!! That's my alltime favourite, too!  I bought it a couple of years ago on DVD and made Santi watch it last year.  Judging from his reaction, I'll probably enjoy it by myself this year.  Like you, I also spend a helluva lot of time in a car during the holidays. I do enjoy flipping through the random AM stations once I get out to the desert or the Plains and there's no FM to be found.

BT, check out discount stores like Ross or TJMaxx for cheap holiday DVDs. I found a box set like the one you described for $7 or something like that.

Offline Carly

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 09:08:14 pm »
We've not really been in the Christmas spirit since things have been rather shitty lately.  We found out the boyfriend was positive in mid November & then right before Thanksgiving I got word from the big boss at my company that my maintenance man was being fired, but it was confidential, so I couldn't tell him.  He's been with us for years, but he's getting older & just can't keep up anymore.  But basically what the company did was advertise his job in the local paper, & that's how he found out he was being fired.  Nice, eh?

So with all that, I just haven't felt very Christmassy.  I got all my shopping finished in one night online, & it was much, much better than fighting people in the stores.  Most of the time I just want to hold all of the other Christmas shoppers underwater until they stop twitching.  And I figured this year I would probably end up punching someone in the face, so I thought online would just be better.  And it was. 

We have the usual family tradition of eating lunch at his parent's house on Christmas day, then we have two seperate Christmases with my family because my parents are divorced, which basically means we have 3 places we have to go in approximately a 48 hour period & the stress on us is hell.  But I am grateful that we at least have families that we love who love us back that we can share the holidays with.

And as far as movies go, I love A Christmas Story too.  It's a brilliant movie that really stands the test of time.  I also love the original claymation "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer".  But the only movie that I really make a point to watch around Christmas time is Silent Night, Deadly Night, because I am a horrible, bitter person.  But I just love that movie.  I love the perversion of Santa Clause & all that is Christmas.  I think I've just been angry ever since the 3rd grade when I found out Santa Clause wasn't real.  Also I hate the fact that Christmas is all about spending money.  And ever since I joined facebook I just want to punch people in the face who send those little cause invites to me that say "keep Christ in Christmas", a fucking Pagan holiday.

Sorry guys, I guess I'm just a regular old Schrooge.

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 12:39:15 am »
Eating Panettone always makes it feel like Christmas to me.

When I can, enjoy going away for Christmas... with family and/or friends to somewhere warm.
Christmas is usually my longest holiday of the year... so in town or not I usually enjoy it  ;D

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 07:20:20 am »

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:38:43 am by Grasshopper »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.