Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:07:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 244
Total: 245

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why are straights so paranoid about gays?  (Read 13311 times)

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
Why are straights so paranoid about gays?
« on: January 22, 2007, 10:29:36 am »
was at a party sat night and a guy was telling a story about a person who was saved by some paramedics and one guy quipped "with my luck the paramedics would have been gay". Everyone laughed,except for yours truly. WTF? I guess some people think that gays have some uncontrollable urge to have sex with anyone no matter their appearance or personality. What a dick head. Later I got into an argument(i seem to get in many of these)about how lucky the Patriots were that the Charger safety intercepted the pass instead of just knocking it down and the a guy says what do you expect from some one that color, and everyone laughed.This guy is the father in law of the fuckwad who made the gay quip. He is also a deacon in a baptist church. I guess these aholes dont take the bible as literal as you all think. I felt very bad afterwards that I didn't step up and argue with the guy about the color thing and I felt very sick about everyone laughing at the joke. If you laugh at a joke you are just as guilty as the ahole telling it.

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Why are straights so paranoid about gays?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 10:45:31 am »

I guess this answers my question why some gays lash out at straights that are not so "paranoid".  Why some blacks hate all whites.  Why some whites hate all blacks. 

Will we continue to keep a closed mind because of a few ignorant assholes?

Hate me for dating women.  Hate me for experimenting and just not getting it.  Hate me for having mostly black friends.  Hate me for the music I listen to.  Hate me for only dating black women.

All I ask is do not hide it and make me think you are my "friend".  Just do me a favor and hate me outright!

Thomas

PS I thank you Jack for starting this thread.  After this weekend and receiving a PM that had me upset, but mostly disappointed... I needed the chance to vent!  Love!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 10:55:46 am »
Jack, I think it's about projection of often unconscious (but not always) impulses and fears of acting on them.

That doesn't mean everyone who might be straight who acts in the way you described is unconsciously gay or so inclined. It's their having impulses they're afraid of and particularly about sexual matters of whatever sort.

Even in the relatively liberalized atmosphere regarding gays in our society, we have all too much evidence that matters today are far from full integration in terms of civil rights and acceptance as equals in all matters.

Gays, (and I'm including both men and women here when I use the word "gay"), are still experienced and viewed as sexual outlaws here and in most of the world. Remember, last year in Iran two teenagers were executed for being gay! And that kind of violence is still evident every day here in America towards gays, hate crime laws notwithstanding.

Gays do "forbidden" things which for those who are into repressing feelings and are afraid of their impulses makes them very, very dangerous people to have around. And they become especially dangerous when they are open and visible about their outlaw behavior. As long as they were willing to be closeted and shamed, they could under some circumstances be tolerated.

But now they're REALLY dangerous because they're unwilling to settle for that. Can you imagine! Whatta nerve to be demanding equal rights. We still see similar repressive attitudes with regard to race and to women as well.   

That putz at the party attended has lots of company. The past few decades have brought about some substantial progress, and we still have a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng way to go, baby.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:04:41 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:05:27 am »
Hey Jack,

This thread kind of goes hand-in-hand with one I just posted about the new generation of gay people.

I guess that, being gay, I feel a sense of loss for not being special any more. Then, on the heels of it, comes this type of thread to remind me there are still people filled with hate out there.

I applaud your standing up to the gay quip. I have had to rethink many of the beliefs I had when I was younger. I was one of those gays who didn't associate with straights.

I had an "Us vs. Them" type attitude.

I was wrong. I was young and insecure. That's no excuse, but that was what was.

You are right. By letting things like the racial comment pass unchallenged makes us no better than those espousing it.

Thomas, I can only imagine the backlash you experience.

I agree, hate me openly, don't couch it with politcal correctness or faux friendship.

Sadly, I worry that today's assimilation of the gay community, of interracial couples, etc., is simply superficial.

I guess that means we can't back down or enjoy complacency.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 11:07:41 am »
Well, not to sound like an after school special or anything...but...I think people laugh for two reasons: one, being uncomfortable, and two, the human's inate NEED to belong...

I think when we laugh at things that we don't think are funny, but we see everyone else doing it...gives us a sense of belonging and acceptance (within that particular situation).

Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline jack

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 11:12:02 am »
Mark, I didn't stand up to anyone on the gay quip, I did make it known that the color joke was very stupid. I did not laugh at either, and was repulsed by those that did. I need to get some balls.
At the same party one guy kept telling my wife what a great ass she had. I am gonna kick his ass.
Had one single woman,who is pretty good looking, ask if she could join my wife and I in our bed.
Had another married woman ask me if I minded my wife coming to a  sex toy party. WTF is going on? I guess I have been out of circulation too long.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:21:46 am »
Sounds like it's time for some new friends. ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:54:45 am »
This is news to anyone?  People like others to be lower down on the totem pole.  Racism and homophobia are the easiest route to that for most.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Christine

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 12:07:21 pm »
Jack,
I have been in situations like this also. I don't laugh, or join in "the fun". After the laughing has died down, I calmly say that I find what you said offensive, please don't speak like that in front of me. Then I walk away.

There is no point in getting into it with a raciest. You can't rationally argue with an irrational person.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 12:18:14 pm »
A month or so ago, I was playing tennis and a PHYSICIAN made a crass HIV/AIDS joke.  I about fell on the floor (and an overhead DID accidentally land right on his chest -- but I'm really not so good that I can take full credit for it  ;D )  At any rate, after the match -- I pulled him aside and told him that I expected better from a doctor -- that making jokes about serious illnesses was the last thing I would expect from anyone, but especially from Cancer Surgeon.  I then went on to say that he may have thought it was "safe", but he really never knew who might be around who is affected by HIV.  His eyes bulged out of his head and he put his arm around me and said, "You're right, it was stupid and insensitive -- I'm sorry."  I said, "Thanks -- and you should be."

So to answer your question, Why??  Probably all sorts of reasons, ignorance, fear, etc.  but I think it gets down to this:

"They have to be carefully taught......"

OK -- so when someone starts quoting lines from musicals, I guess it is clear where he falls   ::) !!

Mike

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 01:33:39 pm »
There is no getting around the fact that gays and lesbians have suffered greatly because of our society's inability to see sexuality as a bell curve. When people are discriminated against, marginalized and given second class citizenship, the trauma is enormous. I think "shell shock" is a good description.
I have had the priviledge of seeing the very beginning of the Gay Rights Movement. At that time it was illegal for men to dance with men in a club or bar...it was also illegal to serve a homosexual a drink in New York City. I suppose that is why a lot of gay clubs were mafia operations.....they paid off the cops. But the discrimination has taken its toll on me over the years.  I still instinctively seek out a gay friendly environment...or doctor or dentist ( our dentist has a gay son who works as the receptionist in his office...oh mary!) 
Its being said that young GAY people today do not need the sense of safety or comraderie that we needed 30 years ago. That the gay culture built up by gay people over the last 30 years is disappearing. Well, I want to hear from some of these young guys who dont think gay culture is necessary anymore...and why.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 02:05:15 pm »
I am always afraid a gay guy will sneeze on me and then that will make ME gay!  It's really that simple.  I mean look at all the gooey gayness in the pic below!

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 02:07:29 pm »
There is no getting around the fact that gays and lesbians have suffered greatly because of our society's inability to see sexuality as a bell curve. When people are discriminated against, marginalized and given second class citizenship, the trauma is enormous. I think "shell shock" is a good description.
I have had the priviledge of seeing the very beginning of the Gay Rights Movement. At that time it was illegal for men to dance with men in a club or bar...it was also illegal to serve a homosexual a drink in New York City. I suppose that is why a lot of gay clubs were mafia operations.....they paid off the cops. But the discrimination has taken its toll on me over the years.  I still instinctively seek out a gay friendly environment...or doctor or dentist ( our dentist has a gay son who works as the receptionist in his office...oh mary!) 
Its being said that young GAY people today do not need the sense of safety or comraderie that we needed 30 years ago. That the gay culture built up by gay people over the last 30 years is disappearing. Well, I want to hear from some of these young guys who dont think gay culture is necessary anymore...and why.

Everyone needs community, safety and comraderie and it shall one day be not only allowed, but an afterthought.  Thats what I hope.
RIDE!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 02:10:50 pm »
Jack anyone that had me treat them in the back of the box, did get a gay Paramedic. :D

Offline bear60

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 02:46:13 pm »
Yea...speaking of paramedics....around 1989.....a gay guy with AIDS collapsed on the sidewalk outside a gay bar here.....the paramedics refused to touch him.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 07:03:34 pm »
bear, I knew how funny people were in the early 80's. I know doctors, nurses, paramedics and firefighters that didn't want to treat patients with AIDS. You want to see cops move away quick, go to an accident scene and advise the cop that the victim is hiv positive and watch them freak out. I use to love doing that to them. The was my kick for the shift. Which of course they didn't have AIDS.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 07:41:00 pm »
Seriously just dont sneeze on me.
RIDE!!!

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 08:23:53 pm »
Alexander Pushkin used the epigram "Don't start an argument with an idiot."
(не оспарывай глупца)

I used to think this was elitist.  But it helps me in situations like these.
Anymore I react to people like this with an off the cuff attitude that it is perfectly obvious that they are truly in the minority and completely worthless as human beings.    It usually goes something like this:

(prefacing a statement about blacks...)
"I hate to say this but..."
(me, interrupting) "If you have to preface it with 'I hate to say it' perhaps you should just not speak at all so you don't embarrass the rest of the room for calling you a friend"

Don't be surprised by people who are intolerant...just disdain them.  And celebrate cool straight guys who have experimented, but only date black chicks these days... for example.
But, just don't be cheesy about how tolerant you are... cuz when you wear it on your sleeve and spout off random quotes from the cult of self actualization, you sound insincere and insipid...because you probably are.

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 09:40:11 pm »
Do I think there is something wrong with a man that has sex with other men? Yep. But then again that’s just my opinion. Hating someone based on opinion is dumb and dangerous.

No biggy, there are lost more people I can hate like the politicians, my boss, my neighbours, them crooked cops and most of all those phuckin MIMES !!

God I hate those mimes!  >:(

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 11:42:20 pm »
Do I think there is something wrong with a man that has sex with other men? Yep. But then again that’s just my opinion. Hating someone based on opinion is dumb and dangerous.

I just checked your profile.  I understand why you are part of the problem.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 12:25:57 am »
Why am I part of the problem?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 12:35:38 am »
Cultural baggage... all ex-colonized British places in the Caribbean are incredibly and irrationally homophobic in the most backwards knuckle dragging manner.  But then again that’s just my opinion.  Don't hate me for it!

The ex-Spanish islands are remarkably more accommodating.  Why is that?

Offline Rhino

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 01:10:56 am »
I don't hate you for it because to a certain degree what you are saying is true. Unfortunately gays in this country are still openly persecuted. Most people here have zero tolerance for homosexuality. For most of my life this environment has strongly influenced my own viewpoint towards gays.

What I was trying to say (which obviously came across the wrong way) is that the homosexual act itself seems very strange to me as a straight person. But I do understand that someone may choose a differently lifestyle to mine because they have a different opinion about what is attractive or what is normal. I don't find men attractive, you do, so what? I'm gonna hate you on a difference of opinion, a difference of choice? Gays have sex with gays, straights have sex with straights, bi's have it good they have sex with everybody. Where is the victim in this scenario?

If a person is gay then that is there choice which they are entitled to. I believe that as long as sex happens between two consenting adults then there really is no problem.

I apologise. I honestly did not mean to offend.

*Phew* excuse me I have to go put some lotion on my knuckles now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 01:14:21 am by Rhino »

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 01:18:05 am »
Rhino, (and im sorry to thread jack here) are you or anyone close to you HIV positive?
RIDE!!!

Offline Rhino

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 01:20:50 am »
Three dead relatives. Why?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 01:24:40 am »
You just came over from the AM I forum and only have posted in the Off Topic Forum.  Just wondering who was behind the name is all.

OK its late and that made a LITTLE sense.  I was trying to say, you have only posted in those 2 forums and that seemed a bit odd for around here.

Hijack OUT.

So, anyone been straight bashing lately?
RIDE!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 01:39:57 am »
Homosexuality is not a "lifestyle" and I did not "choose" it.   That's homophobic thinking right there.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 01:52:30 am »

Lifestyle?  Choice?  Opinion?

Like I said I checked your profile so the above is your ignorance helped by your culture....  By the way, did you choose to be born in Trinidad?

Offline Rhino

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 02:14:15 am »
Oh Geez, Whether you choose it or it choose you is besides the point. You're a gay adult that has sex with other gay adults right? That the style of life you live. Because I don't live the same way is not a reason for me to hate or even dislike you!!

I'm not afraid of you and I don't hate you even if you guys seem to want me too.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 02:32:52 am »
I really couldn't help being straight or being born in an ex British colonized Caribbean country but if I did have a choice I probable wouldn't change anything. See I like that fact that no matter how I trash it out in my mind, at the end of the day I don't hate/dislike gay people just because their gay.

I'm done now.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 02:34:00 am »
You have to understand that these words "lifestyle" and "choose" are keywords employed by the religious right in the United States (and indeed elsewhere) to justify their hatred-dressed-as-scripture homophobia.  If homosexuality is NOT a choice, it's hard to justify something that God created, isn't it?  Either God created it, or he messed up something really bad in those first seven days because homosexuality is in all the animal species too.  Go and figure.

As far as a "lifestyle" why do I not ever hear about the heterosexual lifestyle?  Why do only the Evil Sodomites get this generous greeting?  You're not born with a lifestyle, it just "is."  Wearing Prada shoes and driving a Jag is a lifestyle.  I don't buy cock sucking skills at Neiman Marcus.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:35:37 am by philly267 »

Offline Rhino

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 03:14:03 am »
OK seems I'm not done. You wanna know something. I hate those 'christian' fking bastards that tell people on their dead beds that they brought HIV on themselves because of their 'sinfull' ways and that they need to repent to save their souls. I wanna rip their throats out with my bare hands.

I hate those Catholic priests that raped all those kids and are probable still raping kids in your country and mine. I hate our governments for dragging their goddamn feet dealing with this epidemic and are instead busy lining their pockets with our money and talking shit about abstinence.

Profiling me based just on my birth country is just plain wrong.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 03:24:57 am »
Saying what I do in bed is "wrong" is... well, wrong.  You seem to forget conveniently that you made that remark first.  We've exchanged several PM's on the matter so I have nothing further to say.

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2007, 06:35:18 am »
I'm late coming in on this one.
Jack - What kinda parties do you attend?  Baptist bigots and players?  Weird combo - or maybe not so weird.  Anyway eye daggers usually work for me in situations like that.  Silent and deadly.
Rhino - Are you supposed to be posting here?  If you're not poz I think you need to restrict yourself to Am I?  or Someone I know... forums.  I any event your comment would make one believe you're an insensitive dolt, not true I'm sure.  But spare us any further comments lest we firm up that conclusion.
PS - I went birding on your island many years ago - great birds - you guys ever get control of the garbage and trash problem?  The place was a mess.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 06:39:44 am »

Jack - What kinda parties do you attend?  Baptist bigots and players?  Weird combo - or maybe not so weird. 

Ted Haggard's birthday party?
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 06:58:35 am »
Why are straights so paranoid about gays?

Ignorance and hate often go hand in hand, Jack. This essay might be of interest:

Homophobia: The Fear Behind The Hatred
An essay on the origin and nature of homophobia.
A personal essay in hypertext by Scott Bidstrup

If you look up "homophobia" in the dictionary, it will probably tell you that it is the fear of homosexuals.

While many would take issue with that definition, it is nevertheless true that in many ways, it really is a fear of homosexuality or at least homosexuals, as we will see in this essay.

Homophobia is widespread in America, far more widespread than most heterosexuals realize, and it is far more subtle, too. The discrimination it inspires touches the lives of many Americans, not just gay Americans, but all Americans. And America pays a very dear price for it as we shall see.

The Effects of Homophobia On American Society

In 1994, during the campaign of Oliver North for the U.S. Senate, there were several of his supporters seen carrying signs along a Virginia freeway that read, "Homophobia Doesn't Kill." By announcing that belief, they were exposing their ignorance to the world, because homophobia does kill, and it kills with surprising frequency.
There are the obvious murders inspired by hatred. In the U.S., they number in the dozens every year. Abroad, the numbers run to the hundreds to thousands, no one knows the precise number for sure, as in many countries, the deaths of homosexuals are not considered worth recording as a separate category.

But there are other ways in which homophobia kills. There are countless suicides every year by gay men and lesbians, particularly youth, which mental health professionals tell us1 are not the direct result of the victim's homosexuality, but is actually the result of how the homosexual is treated by society. When one lives with rejection day after day, and society discounts one's value constantly, it is difficult to maintain perspective and realize that the problem is others' perceptions, not one's own, which is why suicide is several times as common among gay men as it is among straight men.

Perhaps the highest price is paid by youth. The young person just emerging into adulthood who has begun to realize that he is different, and the difference is not approved of, finds acceptance of self particularly difficult. This is especially true when others perceive the young person as different, and persecute him as a result, with little effort made by authority figures to stop the torment. This is why gay youth commit suicide at a rate of about seven times that of straight youth. Yet it is surprising how often homophobes actually try to prevent intervention by teachers in the schools!

The Reasons Homophobes Give For Their Hatred

It's not natural.

It's a perversion.

It's against God's law.

It's disgusting.

The Real Reasons Behind Their Hatred

Loss of control:

Threat to one's world-view:

Fear that one may actually be homosexual himself:

(content of each point omitted for brevity)

(more ...)

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 07:00:31 am »
Bringing things back to Bear's post:  Not much has changed in NYC.  Bars and clubs are still controled in some way by the Mafia which guarantees things such as the places won't be burned down 'by accident.'  We might also wonder just how it is that when all the other bathhouses were being closed by the Department of Health, one chain survived and survives to this day, making so much money that it then started to open restaurants and bars to funnel the bathhouse money.  Democratic or Republican mayor, they remain.  There was and is a distasteful relationship of gay owned organisations with non-gay organisations in the name of business.

The change in gay culture, in a gay friendly environment, in the sense of safety which he commented on I saw change from pockets of gayness within the larger non-gayness to total gayness, the blocks of Chelsea in NYC where the stores, restaurants, items sold, employees all were gay or gay directed.  We now have gay medical practices, not a hidden gay practice, but an out and about number of medical practices at least one of which is under the umbrella of St. Vincent's which used to have 'issues' over gay and hiv.  As I posted somewhere else, it is easily possible to have an 'all gay, all the time' existence in NYC in the same way that other cultural groups have their own pockets (Chinatown, Little Italy, Harlem).  Win

Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2007, 09:50:37 am »
Some one PM'ed me and explained to me exactly what I said wrong and why it was wrong and I'd like to thank them for it. They even managed to get their point across without ragging on my country or calling me stupid.

Rhino - Are you supposed to be posting here?  If you're not poz I think you need to restrict yourself to Am I?  or Someone I know... forums.  I any event your comment would make one believe you're an insensitive dolt, not true I'm sure.  But spare us any further comments lest we firm up that conclusion.
PS - I went birding on your island many years ago - great birds - you guys ever get control of the garbage and trash problem?  The place was a mess.

Wow. I'm not worried about being infected, Those I knew with HIV are dead and no body told me this off topic area was just for gay pozs but I know now. So I guess I'm not welcome anywhere in aidsmeds. Bye then, I learned allot from you guys.

P.S We did sort out that garbage problem. (That comment was low and totally unnecessary).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:59:53 am by Rhino »

Offline jack

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2007, 10:58:30 am »
I guess the reason I ask the question is I just dont hear shit like this much anymore and I was startled to hear cracks on gays and blacks from a person who supposedly has found religion. We all know most straights think gay sex is strange, its different. But to think that a gay person might be interested in molesting or having sex with every person of like sex they encounter,just seems stoneage too me. I sort of thought we were past that,but we aren't.  How does someone make a comment about blacks intelligence in pro football when the two coaches of the Super Bowl teams are black. I mean,you have to be a fucking idiot,but this person is very intelligent and very,very successful.
I haven't seen most of the people at this party since I went underground(because of lipo) 8 years ago. I really feel change takes time but it appears its taking longer than I thought. Maybe in my kids lifetime.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 11:13:35 am »
  Rhino,

I for one was not ragging on your country.  If you took it that way I am sorry, but you have to admit the Caribbean culture does view gays in a very negative way.  While I know he is not from your country all we have to do is listen to the lyrics from Boom Boom Bye  In A Boty Boi Head by Buju Banton to get a gist of how most of the Caribbean culture views gays.  When I pointed out from where you are from as being part of the reason for your "opinion" I still do believe I was on point.   If by way of PM you learned something, then you have an open mind which should be commended because it is not shared by most even here in the states.  We can agree that this is unfortunate.

While I am not an expert on the Caribbean culture I am very familiar with it.  I spent 10 years married to a woman from the Caribbean and grew up in a predominately Jamaican neighborhood.   Hence why I am a fan of much of the music, but not all.  Notice my signature line...

Once again I apologize if I offended... i just pointed out a weakness in your train of thought brought on by circumstances that were pretty much out of your control.  Much like our sexual orientation is out of our control.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Thomas
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:16:34 am by skeebo1969 »

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 11:26:17 am »
all we have to do is listen to the lyrics from Boom Boom Bye  In A Boty Boi Head by Buju Banton to get a gist of how most of the Caribbean culture views gays. 

LOL Thomas - i'm afraid to ask!!  :D

i say we can all safely end any perceived ugliness with the picture below!  :D

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2007, 11:28:06 am »

That is the person who plays the Elephant Man!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2007, 12:39:31 pm »
To answer Jack's question, I think it's because for most of them, being gay is only a 12-pack away!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »
LOL Thomas - i'm afraid to ask!!  :D

i say we can all safely end any perceived ugliness with the picture below!  :D

If she was that ugly after plastic surgery, what the hell did she look like before? I'm scared thinking about it.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 03:09:42 pm »
I just wonder when straights chose to live a heterosexual lifestyle?  Since gays obviously choose to be 'different', those who aren't gay must have made a consious decision, too.   ::)

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2007, 07:27:41 pm »
I've always wondered that myself, David.   Whenever I have asked a straight person "When did you decide you were straight?"  they look at you weird and say "What do you mean DECIDE?  I was born this way."   They see it so simple in black and white -- for themselves.   Yet, they are blind as a bat as far as seeing that it is exactly the same for gay people.

As my Dad always said, "Why argue with a sign post?  It isn't going to change."

I don't waste much of my breath arguing with anybody about anything these days.   Life is way too short.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2007, 12:46:23 am »
I think ignorance is a big part in it or disliking anything different.  I've noticed it worse in the men.  I work in a small town area and I spent part of my life in one as a kid.  I remember one guy being beat up at my school because he was "hitting on them".  There is an ER clerk that people whispers about being gay--just because of the way he acts, no actual evidence.  Personally, I could care less if he dated chickens, he's a great guy, does his job well, doesn't annoy me like all the other clerks do who no matter how many times I tell them how to do something, they can't figure it out.  I also have a theory that many homophobic people are repressed homosexuals--just think of some of the homophobic people who have been discovered to be gay--Ted Haggard is one example.  They hate what they can't stand about themselves and aren't happy with who they are.  I remember being around guys who said, "Well I don't care if he is gay--he just better not look at me in that way."  I told one, "First of all, don't flatter yourself.  Second, who cares?  If a woman (unless it is Angelina Jolie) hits on me, I take it as a compliment and tell her I'm not interested and that I'm straight." I just think if someone is comfortable with their sexuality, it will never be a big issue about who is gay, whether they will be hit on, etc.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2007, 01:14:18 am »
I had a guy in a straight bar call me a faggot until I stood up and he saw how much bigger I was compaired to him. I simply asked him how he was going to feel after a fag beat the hell out of him. After he left some of the straight guys at the bars laughed and bought me a drink. Just a shame none of them were good looking lol. I come across as being straight to most people. Its funny when thay start telling gay jokes and then find out I am gay. I stand 6'6" 255 and have heard so many I'm Sorrys I stopped counting. I look at it as maybe the nnext time they open their mouth they may think twice. 
Meds doing well so far.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.