Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:46:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 212
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Yes, Chick-fil-A Says, We Explicitly Do Not Like Same-Sex Couples  (Read 10222 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
I actually eat here once every five years when I manage to go to a mall.  Good thing it's not any more than that -- ok, I had some idea previously how right wing the family that owned it was but I'm not sure if they've been this clear before.

source

Yes, Chick-fil-A Says, We Explicitly Do Not Like Same-Sex Couples

Bet Chick-fil-A wishes this month would end. Over the past few weeks, the restaurant chain's deep ties to the anti-gay movement have been exposed and uncovered by a number of activists, most notably Jeremy Hooper at Good As You. Whether it's Focus on the Family, the National Organization for Marriage, the Pennsylvania Family Institute, or Exodus International, Chick-fil-A ties run deep.

Of course, the President of Chick-fil-A wants gay people to share no hard feelings. The restaurant will gladly feed homosexuals gobs of chicken sandwiches, after all. But when it comes to marriage, Chick-fil-A believes strongly that same-sex couples just don't deserve equal rights.

As we wrote about a few weeks ago, Chick-fil-A's charitable arm, the WinShape Foundation, has been particularly active in the fight against marriage equality. They've hosted conferences with some of the leading opponents of gay marriage in this country. A higher up at WinShape has even praised the efforts of anti-gay activist David Blankenhorn for working against marriage equality, and for articulating a solid reason why American culture should reject same-sex couples.

Now comes some email correspondence that Good As You has shared on their blog, where the WinShape Foundation's Retreat Center -- a center run by the charitable arm of Chick-fil-A -- admits that they have a severe distaste for LGBT people.

The email correspondence goes a little something like this. Someone writes WinShape an easy question about whether their retreat center is open to LGBT people. WinShape's response:

"WinShape Retreat defines marriage from the Biblical standard as being between one man and one woman. Groups/Individuals are welcome who offer wholesome, educational conferences and programs that are compatible with Biblical values and WinShape's purpose," WinShape wrote back.

Kind of some corporate speak, right? So the activist wrote back: can you just give a clear-cut answer? And WinShape confirmed:

"We do not accept homosexual couples because of the statement in our contract."

And so it goes like this: Chick-fil-A is a restaurant where franchises frequently donate to anti-gay organizations like the Pennsylvania Family Institute, Focus on the Family and others. The restaurant's charitable arm, WinShape, holds conferences for opponents of gay marriage and praises their work. And this charitable arm's Retreat program puts a blanket ban on gay couples using their facilities, because they "do not accept homosexual couples."

Yet the President of Chick-fil-A still says that all people, including LGBT people, are treated with respect by the restaurant? Huh, what a funny definition of respect.

Meanwhile, check this story out. So the Human Rights Campaign's NOMExposed project tried to submit an equality-minded video to the Ruth Institute's "Reel Love Video Challenge." The Ruth Institute is an affiliate of the National Organization for Marriage, and they're running a contest where folks can submit videos talking about what love means. The video below was originally accepted, but then promptly booted out of the project once the Ruth Institute became aware that it actually championed equality for same-sex couples.

Here's the kicker: the Ruth Institute's "Reel Love Video Challenge" has a tie-in to Chick-fil-A's WinShape Foundation. Wouldn't it be nice to hear why the Ruth Institute and the WinShape Foundation find the below video so offensive? After all, what is love if it isn't equal?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

Re: Yes, Chick-fil-A Says, We Explicitly Do Not Like Same-Sex Couples
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 02:24:41 pm »
My local Chick-fil-A is managed by two of the biggest queens you've ever seen. Not only that, the damn place is closed on Sunday. What's next, no meat in my tacos?

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:32:12 pm »
I don't like chicken anyway!!!!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:36:14 pm »
I don't like chicken anyway!!!!

Seven moral charges beg to differ. ;D

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:01:11 pm »
In the words of my younger brother when realizing it was lunchtime and a Sunday:  "Damn those Christians and their delicious chicken!"

The Chick-fil-a where I live is always packed. I don't know if they only hire people from the town of Stepford but the employees are always eerily pleasant, wholesome and attentive. It's simply impossible to hate them.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »
LOL, there are two Chick-fil-A's I could have been going to right downtown.  I didn't know they were even there (just saw it on google-maps)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 03:27:51 pm »
Oh, and I almost forgot (though it deserves it's own thread!) in other Fundie-Chickenmeant news Ted Haggard declares he only bought meth to enhance masturbation.

k

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »
Oh, and I almost forgot (though it deserves it's own thread!) in other Fundie-Chickenmeant news Ted Haggard declares he only bought meth to enhance masturbation.

k

That's why I buy it. That and to enhance house cleaning.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 03:31:55 pm »

k

OMG that is too funny! :D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:28 pm »
That and to enhance house cleaning.

Girl, that's no joke -- I pull out the fridge and get in the corners with a used toothbrush on that stuff.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 03:42:36 pm »
Girl, that's no joke -- I pull out the fridge and get in the corners with a used toothbrush on that stuff.

Heroin used to have that effect on me. My house would gleem!!!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 08:40:41 pm »
although their cow advertising has been cute (eat mor chikin), and their vanilla shakes taste like (but better!) delicious snow cream, what do you expect from a Southern-based company that doesn't open on the "Lord's Day"?  ::) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A#Religious_connections

In the words of my younger brother when realizing it was lunchtime and a Sunday:  "Damn those Christians and their delicious chicken!"
excellent!  :D ROFL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 08:54:01 pm »

I once thought of opening my own housekeeping business with it.

Tina's Cleaners..."Let Tina get ya cleana!"

(But yanking on the stuff is no joke either.  I've damn near blacked out while orgasming.  Had to scrub the walls, too.  - And we're back to cleaning again!)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »
I only did meth and masterbated once ... non stop for eight months  .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 09:06:25 pm »
I only did meth and masterbated once ... non stop for eight months  .

Testify!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:13:14 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 09:17:50 pm »
I just joined the Chick-Fil-A Insiders Club!!  http://www.chick-fil-a.com/#insiderssignup

Just wait until I get inside...I'll let you know if it's really chicken.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »

I think all the queers should unite and friend them on Facebook, then only descend on the place when they offer "free chicken sandwich day".

Use them for what we want and then leave.  Kind of like how we use most everybody else on the net.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 09:33:42 pm »
Well, I've fil-Aad a few chickens in my lifetime  ;D and the 2 we have here in Albuquerque, NM our run by the biggest DIKE I've ever known & loved, (sometimes I get free-food) not sure if they are open on Sundays tho
blue-laws really don't go over well in my neck-of-the-woods, this is the liberal desert for crying out loud :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:40:12 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 09:41:08 pm »
not sure if they are open on Sundays tho
bule-laws really don't go over well in my neck-of-the-woods,
from the wiki article: "Cathy's beliefs are also responsible for one of the chain's distinctive features: All Chick-fil-A locations (company-owned and franchised, whether in a mall or freestanding) are closed on Sundays"
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 09:51:49 pm »

I think all the queers should unite and friend them on Facebook, then only descend on the place when they offer "free chicken sandwich day".

Use them for what we want and then leave.  Kind of like how we use most everybody else on the net.

This.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 10:41:28 pm »
facebook terrorism... that'll learn 'em! ::)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 01:00:57 am »
This reminds me of something I read today about Harp's Grocery Stores of Arkansas.  One of their stores covered up the magazine featuring Elton John, his partner, and new baby.  It was my understanding that it was just one store and they reversed themselves.  I saw the magazine while checking out at Krogetto.  I was only bothered by Elton's image.  In that picture, he reminds me so much of my grandmother.  I swear, he looks so much like my late grandma.  I didn't check to see if this has been discussed in another forum.   

http://wonderwall.msn.com/music/baby-cover-up-grocery-store-censors-eltons-us-weekly-cover-1593596.story?gt1=28135 

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 06:30:33 pm »
This is your Captain speaking:

They have a Chik-Fil-A at the Student Union Building where I work at the University of New Mexico. I have a feeling UMN will not be too pleased when this is brought to their attention. And trust me, it WILL be brought to their attention. They have a policy that anyone doing business with them has to basically have the same non-discriminatory policies as the University when it comes to things like this. Discrimintation is not taken lightly there. They have a Queer Student group, and a gay student resource center that it run by a bunch of Uber-PC drones, as well as an office of Equity and Inclusion. The college paper will also be most interested as well. For once I cannot wait to get to work on Monday morning. ;D

It'll be fun to see what kind of mischief we can get whipped up over this. College students always seem to be on the lookout for something to get indignant about, they're always having demonstrations/candlelight vigils/group handwringing type activites, so this should really get them going. I'll keep you posted on any developments as they happen. Maybe they'll even get their lease cancelled, now that would be awesome.

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 06:50:21 pm »
Good point Capt!  I know NYU has a Chick-Fil-A (the only one in all of Manhattan!) and you can be sure students will get them kicked out.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 08:29:23 pm »
Ugh, I hate Yuk-Fil-A, and now I hate them even more.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 08:42:29 pm »

Never been to a Chic Fill-A.  Will just add it to the list , along with Coors and Cracker Barrel... We do have a few of them here.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 08:54:19 pm »
Ugh, I hate Yuk-Fil-A, and now I hate them even more.

-Will

I swear when I made this thread you were the first person that popped into my head as a #1 patron.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 09:08:34 pm »
I swear when I made this thread you were the first person that popped into my head as a #1 patron.

awwwwe, that's so sweet.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 09:28:56 pm »
Willy is from Texas. I trust his opinion as a certified Southerner when he says their chicken sucks!

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 11:57:58 pm »
Never been to a Chic Fill-A.  Will just add it to the list , along with Coors and Cracker Barrel... We do have a few of them here.

Ray

What'd Coors do?  I thought they were extremely pro-gay, did I miss a memo?

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 07:41:50 pm »
I thought they were extremely pro-gay, did I miss a memo?

Yes,  You missed the 70's.   :)     There were over 20 years when Gay bars refused to serve Coors beer. All gay bars I went to in the 70's and 80's, and probably up into the early to mid 90's,  Refused to stock it  sell it. There were signs stating that in each bar. " We dot no serve Coors Beer".  I still remember the signs.

They were homophobic and racist.  This was also around the time of Anita Bryant and the Orange juice boycott.

There are some that say Coors made amends,  but I don't but that.  They still contribute heavily to  conservative right wing causes, and even into the 2000's were against gays and lesbians serving in the military.

There are many articles on this.  A little research will reveal quite a lot.  There are still a few of us around that continue to protest Coors.  At the same time, I think the Gay community sold out to Coors,( amazing what money can do)  And most gay bars do sell Coors now.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 07:48:18 pm »

And most gay bars do sell Coors now.

Ray

I never liked the taste of Coors.  Give me an ice cold Corona with lime instead. 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 08:53:38 pm »
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.