Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 15, 2024, 01:35:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37594
  • Latest: FloBeee
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772732
  • Total Topics: 66292
  • Online Today: 182
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 174
Total: 174

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bittersweet movies  (Read 24394 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Bittersweet movies
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:45:40 am »
Catching up on my list of bittersweet movies to watch. 
Do you like them, too?
Any recommendations?

So I just enjoyed

Broken Flowers - Jim Jarmusch.  Bill Murray as an aging and improbable "Don Juan", stoic and then increasingly tender feeling, while making an "autumn of life" summary of his experiences in love and intimacy.  The last scene is incredibly bittersweet.  It's all about Bill Murray's face. 

500 Days of Summer - the flip side of the coin from Broken Flowers. A young man in the spring of his career and love life, gets a whammy wake-up call about his naivete, spinelessness, and tendency to wallow. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was below my radar, but the camera loves his face in this film, and you might too!  He's not gorgeous but he's perfectly between boy and man, masculine and feminine, and all the emotions of the character play across the face in a bittersweet manner.  The very pretty Zooey Deschanel plays the black widow character, or is she?

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: Bittersweet movies
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:58:46 am »
I don't know if my list of favs is all bittersweet, but some are:

1) RENT
2) The Fisher King
3) Terms of Endearment
4) The Boys in Company C
5) Longtime Companion
6) Steel Magnolias
7) Hardball
8) Moulin Rouge
(I don't know why the smiley thing w/ sunglasses showed up instead of the #8)  ???
Each has its bittersweet moment(s) - Each brought more than one tear to my eye.

Edited to add: The comment about the smiley thing (emoticon) appearing instead of #8.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:31:33 am »
I'm not clear what's intended genre wise specifically by "bittersweet" -- does my Jennifer Lopez collection of romantic comedies count?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:56:06 am »
I'm not clear what's intended genre wise specifically by "bittersweet" -- does my Jennifer Lopez collection of romantic comedies count?

Bittersweet = the taste of spunk

Oh, and 'Gigli' was quite bittersweet; it is up there with 'Brokeback Mountain' and 'Schindler's List'

Now, if you want a truly sad movie (if that's what Mecha meant by bittasweet) you need to see 'Dancer In the Dark' (first one that comes to my mind along with BBM and SL).

I don't know if my list of favs is all bittersweet, but some are:

3) Terms of Endearment
6) Steel Magnolias

Phil, girl, you are so predictable.  I must be the only queen in this planet who doesn't care for either one (gimme 'Sunset Boulevard' instead).  All that's missing from your list is either 'Stepmom' and/or 'Beaches.'

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:59:31 am »
Rev you don't like Steel Magnolias?  I'm gonna need you to turn over you gay card missy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 12:09:49 pm »

Phil, girl, you are so predictable.  I must be the only queen in this planet who doesn't care for either one (gimme 'Sunset Boulevard' instead).  All that's missing from your list is either 'Stepmom' and/or 'Beaches.'

omg, live for "Terms" -- I always cry at one point in the end... you know wacky ole Shirley keeps it real.

Cant's stand "Steel Magnolias" but then Julia R. gives me hives, unless it's Notting Hill but I have a fetish for mediocre Hugh Grant films.

All that's missing from your list is either 'Stepmom' and/or 'Beaches.'

I've never seen either!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:11:25 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 12:28:53 pm »
Bittersweet?

1  involving or causing feelings of happiness and sadness at the same time

a bitter-sweet love story

Its not completely sad and bleak, like Dancer in the Dark.  Though I thought Deneuve was moving in that film, and I cried when she sang in the factory.  

Terms of Endearment is a "tear-jerker" because of the third act dramatic death.

Shirley MacLaine is quite a master of bittersweet, especially the Billy Wilder movies.

Bittersweet is more an extended rumination on the coexistent pleasures and pains of love, or relationships, etc.  

If all you can do is crack on it, then it's not your cup of tea for a genre.  

Some suggestions:

Bridget Jones
Casablanca
The Bodyguard
Moulin Rouge (good call!)
American Graffiti

Can be crappy or schmaltzy.  

Miss P - I'm not up on the Jennifer Lopez filmography - but its possible she does bittersweet, you tell me.  

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 12:29:28 pm »
All that's missing from your list is either 'Stepmom' and/or 'Beaches.'

Excellent movies!  ;)

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 12:33:35 pm »
Bittersweet = the taste of spunk

Oh, and 'Gigli' was quite bittersweet; it is up there with 'Brokeback Mountain' and 'Schindler's List'
Now, if you want a truly sad movie (if that's what Mecha meant by bittasweet) you need to see 'Dancer In the Dark' (first one that comes to my mind along with BBM and SL).
Phil, girl, you are so predictable.  I must be the only queen in this planet who doesn't care for either one (gimme 'Sunset Boulevard' instead).  All that's missing from your list is either 'Stepmom' and/or 'Beaches.'

Damn, that's right I forgot Beaches.  I guess I find scenes that make me cry cathartic - since not a lot of things in "real" life make me cry like I do when I watch a tear-jerker, bittersweet movie. 
I had to put Steel Magnolias - lest my gay card be revoked - as Trey said.
I also like 50 First Dates with Adamn Sandler and Drew Barrymore.  Also, love Mask - with Cher.  Of course, E.T. made me cry... :o
On the laughter note - I also like Serial Mom.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:36:10 pm by phildinftlaudy »
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 12:37:55 pm »
Here, we can look at tvtropes.org exploration:

Note that is just about "bittersweet endings", however. 

Bittersweet Ending

Victory, at last! The Big Bad has been vanquished, the day has been saved, the damsels in distress and innocent bystanders have been rescued and the heroes are ready to reap their reward, kiss their Love Interests and walk away toward the setting sun...

...victory, really? Then why does no one feel like cheering? Why is the atmosphere so heavy with melancholy? Why do you find yourself counting your losses as well as your gains? Why couldn't Aerith and Hughes be here?

Somewhere between the Happily Ever After and the Downer Ending, the Bittersweet Ending happens when victory came at a harsh price, when, for whatever reason, the heroes cannot fully enjoy the reward of their actions, when some irrevocable loss has happened during the course of the events, and nothing will ever be the same again. A Bittersweet Ending is still ending on a high note, but one that is mixed with sadness and nostalgia. Often, such endings are the result of the plot making a completely happy ending impossible. (Looked at objectively, some Happy Endings have more things lost or irrevocably broken than some Bittersweet Endings. This trope relies more on the mood than on such objective weighing of matters.)

Some specific cases of Bittersweet Endings are:

* Did Not Get The Girl: when the Official Couple is broken for the right cause.
    * When the hero fades into obscurity, gaining nothing in exchange for everything they sacrificed.
    * End Of An Age: When an irrevocable loss happens, which removes the innocence of the hero or of the world forever.
    * When the victory is only achieved at the sacrifice of people dear to the heroes (if not the heroes themselves) — or perhaps was attempted to be won at this cost, and the heroes had to soldier on to victory without any benefit from it.
    * The bad guys get away in part, and the heroes will have to face them again, and know it.

Bittersweet Endings are frequent in stories on the cynical end of the Sliding Scale Of Idealism Versus Cynicism. They also work well when the characters are at a loss about what to do now. They come up frequently in High Fantasy, for obvious reasons — an epic that ended with evil winning would usually mean the end of the world, and the mother of all Downer Endings, but at the same time defeating the ultimate Big Bad without paying some kind of price would be awfully unsatisfying. Sometimes these are worlds and stories where you can Earn Your Happy Ending, though it won't be Exactly What It Says On The Tin. Also shows where too many females are introduced for one male hero are doomed to end in this way or Cliff Hanger, since painless resolution is mostly impossible

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 12:41:03 pm »
Damn it - I gotta draw the line on you queens.  We're not discussing Tear Jerkers in this thread!
It's like Lee and Levi's - NOT THE SAME THING.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 12:42:22 pm »
Does "The Last Castle" (Robert Redford) qualify?  Excellent movie about leadership...

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 12:43:41 pm »
Brokeback Mountain qualifies as bittersweet.  

Beaches? Please.

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 01:44:26 pm »
Life is Beautiful
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 01:58:37 pm »
Life is Beautiful - it can't really be in the genre because the entire 2nd act takes place in a nazi concentration camp and the dad is executed!  Its a tragicomedy.  Anything with concentration camps is a tragedy - its just too freaking dark and heavy to be "bittersweet". 

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 02:54:42 pm »
Life is Beautiful - it can't really be in the genre because the entire 2nd act takes place in a nazi concentration camp and the dad is executed!  Its a tragicomedy.  Anything with concentration camps is a tragedy - its just too freaking dark and heavy to be "bittersweet".  

Dang. I would have thought that 'Life is Beautiful' would qualify based on your definition. You are being a bittersweet movie Nazi :)

How bout that cheesefest 'The Broken Hearts Club' (or whatever) with Dean Caine? Can't say that I truly liked it, but it kept me entertained.

Then there's always your run-o-da-mill gay flick like 'Beautiful Thing,' 'Get Real,' and 'Wild Reeds' (which I love to death).

My gay card remains intact, even if I can't stomach the Magnolias or endure the sadness of Terms.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 04:30:55 pm »
Then there's always your run-o-da-mill gay flick like 'Beautiful Thing,' 'Get Real,' and 'Wild Reeds' (which I love to death).

My gay card remains intact, even if I can't stomach the Magnolias or endure the sadness of Terms.

There you go. Totally agree with the loveliness and bittersweet quality of Wild Reeds!  Many summer romance movies are bittersweet and of course the French have a flair for this.  Romer is good.

Offline leese43

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 05:48:12 pm »
How about stepmom with Susan Sarandon?
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 05:58:42 pm »
You tell me.
If we all get the differences between tear-jerker and tragedy and bittersweet. I'm looking for recommendations.  No total "debbie downer" movies. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 06:09:22 pm »
The Lost Language of Cranes or whatever it was called.

Flick to avoid: In the Gloaming. Just awful. I was so glad when the AIDS victim in that lozenge popped his clogs at the end. Glen Close should be ashamed of herself.

MtD

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 06:19:54 pm »
For me personally the movie "Life as a House" has always touched home. It stars Kevin Klein and is about a disconnected father who, when diagnosed as terminally ill, decides to re-establish his relationship with his troubled son. It's both touching and life-affirming at the same time :)
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 06:26:00 pm »
Flick to avoid: In the Gloaming. Just awful.

Hideous.  That one and 'It's My Party' (I know, I'm going to hell for that, but I hated that movie as much as I hate 'Philadelphia,' both of which made me cry like a Magdalena).

Speaking of hideous, here's one über-fantastic, bitter-sweet flick: my goddess, Kate Winslet, in 'Hideous Kinky.'  I could watch that one two million times.

And last, another lovely and bittersweet film, even if it is three hours long, is 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.'

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 06:29:31 pm »
For me personally the movie "Life as a House" has always touched home. It stars Kevin Klein and is about a disconnected father who, when diagnosed as terminally ill, decides to re-establish his relationship with his troubled son. It's both touching and life-affirming at the same time :)

"Troubled" as a metaphor for?

MtD

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 06:37:57 pm »
"Troubled" as a metaphor for?

MtD

I think it's just a case where a son was raised with an absentee father and is rebelling. He yearns for attention from his father and finally when he gets it doesn't react the way he expected.
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 06:42:45 pm »
I must agree with Matty about "In the Gloaming." Hideous.

It's My Party also sucked, not to mention the main character wasted an entire baggie of cocaine near the end of the movie. Hell, if I was going to knock myself off, I would have snorted it, enjoyed the high, then popped the pills. I guess I shouldn't have watched that movie at a Christmas party. ::)

Here are some of my favorite bittersweet movies:

Casablanca

Schindler's List

Longtime Companion (OK, it is dated, etc., but I always cry at the end during the beach scene.)

Philadelphia

Funny Girl

The Way We Were (gotta have my Babs) ;)

Torch Song Trilogy

See, gay card still intact even if I didn't mention Beaches or Steel Magnolias, the latter of which I do like.

HUGS,

Mark
)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:46:33 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 06:43:29 pm »
I think it's just a case where a son was raised with an absentee father and is rebelling. He yearns for attention from his father and finally when he gets it doesn't react the way he expected.

Ah. Well colour me disappointed. I was hoping "troubled" was code for "sodomite" as it was when I was at school.

Dear Mr and Mrs the Damned

Further to our conversation of Friday last the College Chaplain, Father Muck, holds grave concerns that your son Matty may indeed be "troubled" and intends to conduct a thorough investigation of the same this Sunday after Mass.

MtD

Offline leese43

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 06:51:32 pm »
You tell me.
If we all get the differences between tear-jerker and tragedy and bittersweet. I'm looking for recommendations.  No total "debbie downer" movies. 

OK..stepmom with susan sarandon. lol

Truly, madly, deeply
As good as it gets - my fav movie
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 06:52:34 pm »
The Last Castle
Roman Holiday
To Kill a Mockingbird
Seven Pounds

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 07:17:02 pm »
Forgot about Torch Song Trilogy -
Oh, Titanic probably doesn't count as bittersweet, right?
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 08:16:21 pm »
Ah. Well colour me disappointed. I was hoping "troubled" was code for "sodomite" as it was when I was at school.

Dear Mr and Mrs the Damned

Further to our conversation of Friday last the College Chaplain, Father Muck, holds grave concerns that your son Matty may indeed be "troubled" and intends to conduct a thorough investigation of the same this Sunday after Mass.

MtD

Hmmm... I was seriously troubled then.  Did I ever tell you about that one time when a priest smacked me silly 'cause I confessed my impure thoughts and feelings towards my friend Luoie?  Made me embrace the half-Jew in me with a passion.  It was the last time I ever told my dirty little secrets to one of them pervs.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 08:18:35 pm »
I'm watching Legally Blonde right now on TBS in HD, and it's so sweetly bitter.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 08:20:18 pm »
"OMG...It's the bend & snap!  Works everytime!"  lol :D

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 08:21:55 pm »
I'm watching Legally Blonde right now on TBS in HD, and it's so sweetly bitter.

Clueless - "Whatever!" Edition is the utmost of bittersweetness.  Especially when she gets held at gunpoint by some pre-meth addict and her dress is ruined.  The line "You Don't understand... This is an Alia!!!" brings me to tears.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 08:25:39 pm »
Desperate Living by John waters .  
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 08:40:06 pm »
Here are some of my favorite bittersweet movies:

Casablanca

Schindler's List

Longtime Companion (OK, it is dated, etc., but I always cry at the end during the beach scene.)

Philadelphia

Funny Girl

The Way We Were (gotta have my Babs) ;)

Torch Song Trilogy

See, gay card still intact even if I didn't mention Beaches or Steel Magnolias, the latter of which I do like.

HUGS,

Mark
)

I hadn't remembered those Babs movies but right you are. The Way We Were wiki article summarizes bittersweetness here:

Katie, now re-married, invites Hubbell to come for a drink with his lady friend, but he confesses he can't. Katie's response acknowledges what they both finally understand: Hubbell was at his best when he was with her, and no one will ever believe in him or see as much promise in him as she once did. Their past is behind them; all the two share now, besides their daughter, is a memory of the way they were.

I dunno.  I still resist any movie with either a holocaust or aids+death theme as possible bittersweet material.  Not saying these aren't moving or great movies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 09:35:13 pm »
"OMG...It's the bend & snap!  Works everytime!"  lol :D

Don't stomp your little last season Prada shoes at me, honey.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 09:56:32 pm »
I know people may not agree but I thought Sixth Sense was bittersweet when Haley Joel Osment tells Toni Collette about her deceased mother. I actually choked up.

I also was moved by the flashback of the old man's marriage in Up!

And in true geek fashion I teared up when a friend of mine started crying and reached over to hold my hand when Frodo leaves Middle Earth at the end of Return of the King.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 11:30:13 pm »
8) Moulin Rouge
(I don't know why the smiley thing w/ sunglasses showed up instead of the #8)  ???
Edited to add: The comment about the smiley thing (emoticon) appearing instead of #8.
emoticons are usually created by symbols for "eyes" and "mouths". at AM, they are also followed by a space (without the space the emoticon will remain text)

"8" for the eyes covered by sunglasses, followed immediately (with no spacing) by a ")" for a smiley mouth, followed by a space is the emoticon 8)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 11:36:36 pm »
emoticons are usually created by symbols for "eyes" and "mouths". at AM, they are also followed by a space (without the space the emoticon will remain text)

"8" for the eyes covered by sunglasses, followed immediately (with no spacing) by a ")" for a smiley mouth, followed by a space is the emoticon 8)
Thanks Mikie - man I wish I had your techy abilities  :)
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 02:03:36 am »
Annie Hall is bittersweet.

Offline edfu

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 04:14:51 am »
Billy Elliot

Away from Her (Alzheimer's + Julie Christie)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:19:43 am by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 03:25:12 pm »
but I have a fetish for mediocre Hugh Grant films.

How sad. Hugh Grant makes me cringe.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 05:11:20 pm »
How sad. Hugh Grant makes me cringe.

I told you I was hardcore.  I have a high pain threshold for bad movies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 05:15:45 pm »
Iris & One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 05:23:29 pm »
Love Iris.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2010, 05:31:45 pm »
My Own Private Idaho and Elephant.

MtD

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2010, 05:37:17 pm »
Iris

Hmmm... I adore my Kate :). She has so many films that could be included in this category (Little Children, Finding Neverland, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, etc.).

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2010, 05:40:13 pm »
Hmmm... I adore my Kate :). She has so many films that could be included in this category (Little Children, Finding Neverland, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, etc.).

Not to mention co-starring with Patrick Wilson's taut buttocks in Little Children.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2010, 05:42:18 pm »
I told you I was hardcore.  I have a high pain threshold for bad movies.

I'm sure the klonopin helps in that regard. Maybe the poppers too.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2010, 05:46:33 pm »

I thought American History X was bittersweet.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.