Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:56:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 211
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: retest?  (Read 6079 times)

Offline chewbacca

retest?
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:24:10 pm »
hello. quick question. A long time ago (last September) i had sex with a csw (vaginal, protected i believe. there might have been a rip. i don't recall exactly but i do remember her asking me if it had ripped and without even looking at it i said no and kept going anyways) and 11 weeks and 1 day after that incident i got tested for HIV and the other usual std's. all negative except for hsv-1 which i knew i already had before this and I'm not worried about it. I was wondering, how accurate is that result? my GP said 6 weeks was enough but i was wondering about testing again just to be extra sure. I haven't had any exposures ever since. ( i had blood drawn at the doc's office and they sent it to whatever lab they use)

Offline RapidRod

Re: retest?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:48:54 pm »
Had there been a condom failure you would have known without a doubt. You never had an exposure.

Offline chewbacca

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:58:46 pm »
alright, cool. i was a bit worried because im new to sex (im 19 and lost my virginity at 18 with a good friend at prom. So im not worried about that) so i have no experience with what a condom failure feels like (just out of curiosity what would that feel like?) and i was a bit worried that it might have happened. in any case i didnt ejaculate and it lasted like 30 mins. one thing i know for sure is im not doing this again. id rather wait till i have an actual gf. i think it was the guilt that got me a worried.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »
If the condom had failed it would have been very visible to the eye afterwards because it's not about itty bitty little holes as people sometimes imagine.

The whole thing goes and ends up looking like a hoop with fringe on your penis. If that did not happen then the condom did not break and you are worrying needlessly.
Andy Velez

Offline chewbacca

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 04:09:28 pm »
good good. one more question. had the thing actually broken, would 6 weeks be enough? and what about 11 weeks?

Offline chewbacca

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:27 am »
no answer?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:18:54 am »
If the condom had broken, a negative result at 3 months would be conclusive. A negative at 6 weeks would be a very good indication that the 3 months test would also be negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:54:42 am »
chewie,

As the others have said, a broken condom is VERY obvious. You would have known without doubt.

A negative test result at 78 days is not going to change even if you had a risk, which you did not. You do not need further testing at this time.

One thing you said that concerns me is this: "im 19 and lost my virginity at 18 with a good friend at prom. So im not worried about that". You need to understand that you cannot rely on how well you think you know someone. It's also no use asking someone about their hiv status. Many people do not accurately know their hiv status and only assume they're hiv negative when they're actually not, and some people will lie.

You need to assume ANYONE you have anal or vaginal intercourse with is hiv positive and protect yourself accordingly by using condoms for those activities.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chewbacca

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 03:53:46 pm »
thank you very much to all of you for answering my questions. Ann, ill take your advice to heart and use condoms for anyone. Although i think im gonna wait untill im in a safe monogamous relationship to have sex. Of course, ill make sure we both get tested for everything before anything happens. i will be moving on now. Cuz i got a lot of physics to study! but i will never forget what i learned from all of you. take care!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 08:09:08 am »

Although i think im gonna wait untill im in a safe monogamous relationship to have sex.

Chewie,

You're young and most likely full of raging hormones, so that may be a difficult promise/ideal to keep. You'll be tempted sooner or later, so the best thing is to always be prepared and have condoms and water-based lube on hand.

You can have as much sex as you want, with as many people as you can manage, so long as you're using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently. Do that and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!!!

Make sure you have a look at the information in the condom and lube links in my signature line. We're not born knowing how to use them, so get reading and learning. (Study your physics first! lol)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chewbacca

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 05:35:16 pm »
Ann, im afraid your right. I am full of hormones. BUT i also have a brand new box of condoms and i will soon purchase an appropriate lubricant (im low on cash at the moment lol). The link is very useful by the way!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 05:47:55 am »
Chewie,

Glad to help. I hope you studied your physics first, or at least only checked out the condom info during a break. Good luck with your exams - physics exams. You don't need further hiv testing at this time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline chewbacca

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 11:23:54 pm »
hello,

its me again. i was wondering. would one day affect a test result? i was looking over the dates and i dont remember the exact dates but it was either one day before or after the 11 week mark. so either 76, 77 or 78 days. Also, i live in southern california and i know my test was done via lab. Do you have any idea what kind of test could have been done? also, was it right of my doctor to say 6 weeks was enough time? and one more thing, would u say my test was conclusive?

Offline chewbacca

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 11:39:14 pm »
also, what are the chances of an 11 week or so negative turning positive?

Offline chewbacca

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 04:54:25 am »
wait. never mind. i reread the thread. answered all my own questions ( i was just being a paranoid parrot). sorry to bug. thanks again.

Offline chewbacca

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 05:11:27 am »
although it would be very much appreciated if you could share some stats, probabilities, figures and other things of the such. I like math and it would be really cool for me to see the numbers and since you guys are in the loop it would be cool if you guys could share some. or at least some observations you guys have made over the years whether it be personal experience or what not. again, thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 08:39:17 am »
No, we're not going to do that. We're not here to play a stats game or any game for that matter with you. What we do is evaluate each situation for risk as it is told to us by a member.

You did not have a risk. Period. And now I am going to warn you that if you continue to return here with more what ifs and requests about your non-risk situation you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

HIV is not your problem and it won't be as long as you consistently and properly use condoms for intercourse every time. As Ann says, "It's as simple as that."

So get on with your life. And consider yourself warned. 
Andy Velez

Offline chewbacca

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 05:33:39 pm »
alright alright. Ill be leaving this site for good. sorry for wasting your time. I will be moving on with my life :) thank you for everything once i again

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 06:57:28 pm »
You're welcome. And remember to use condoms properly everytime for intercourse in order to always be well protected.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.