Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 03:43:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: RISK OF HIV FROM KNIFE CUT  (Read 12205 times)

Offline Maximiliano

• Standard
RISK OF HIV FROM KNIFE CUT
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:27:45 am »
Hello, first of all I want to apologize if my question is dumb, i just don't know all of the facts about every way HIV can be contracted and what are the posibilities after diferent types of exposure.

Last night I was at a restaurant with my wife having dinner, while waiting for the food I grabbed the steak knife and wipped it with a napkin cuttin my middle finger. How much risk there is in this episode for catching HIV? Since it just happenned, my friend who is a nurse (which i don't think it makes him an expert on HIV) is telling me that I am in the window of opportunity for getting PEP. He says at the hospital where he works they encourage PEP after punctures, cuts, etc. Should I have the PEP therapy? What are the posibilities of contracting HIV if a previous HIV+ customer put the knife in his mouth o cut himself with it? I am just getting a lot of information from people around me. My wife says I probably should not listen to what they say and ask an expert. I am a bit paranoid right now and don't know what to do.

Offline RapidRod

Re: RISK OF HIV FROM KNIFE CUT
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:47:12 am »
Not an HIV exposure.

HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child

Offline Maximiliano

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:51:42 am »
Thank you so much for your quick response. Just wondering about my frIend's advice about PEP. Should I consider it just for being on the safe side or Is it just a waste of time and money in this case?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:55:02 am »
You never had an exposure and nPEP is out of the question.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:58:46 am »
Max,

You absolutely do NOT need PEP over this NO RISK knife incident.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies.

Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. For this reason, you are NOT going to become infected with hiv from objects in the environment, and that includes steak knives sitting on a restaurant table.

You have NOT had a risk for hiv infection - by any stretch of the imagination - and you certainly do NOT need PEP. No doctor in his or her right mind would prescribe it for you under the circumstances anyway.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Maximiliano

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:10:01 am »
Thank you so much Ann, it just freaks me out to see a LOT of WRONG information about HIV all over the Internet, I found this forum and looked serious with lots of serious information. Thank you so much for your quick responses to both RapidRod and Ann.   :)   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:24:15 am »
Max,

All the misinformation out there not only on the internet, but also amongst health care professionals (such as your nurse friend) FREAKS ME THE HELL OUT TOO! Sorry for shouting, but it does my head in. Seriously.

Please tell your nurse friend to go have an hiv awareness refresher course before he gives out more bad advice concerning hiv.

Relax. You didn't have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Maximiliano

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:28:49 am »
HAHAHAHA, It freaked me out to the point where it gave me diarrhea and didn't sleep all night long, Im serious, sometimes nurses and doctors are soooooo scary.

Offline Maximiliano

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:01:06 pm »
I am sorry for previously posting this question on a new thread, I just read your reply so I'm moving my question to my this first thread. I apologize.

This question is regarding a coworker who had unprotected sex 8 weeks ago, He has been on Celexa (Citalopram) for about 5 years taking the medication only for periods of time (periods of 7-8 months every year) whenever he feels he needs it.

Reading about the side effects of citalopram he says Citalopram depletes the immune system of glutathione as other SSRIs medications do.

Since glutathione is a component of the immune system that boosts the strength in lymphocytes, Can a depletion of it caused by citalopram delay seroconversion?   

He says that other powerful drugs and autoimmune disorders can cause delayed seroconversion. Does taking citalopram needs certain consideration as to whether or not it decreases the ability of the immune system to fight infections?

Is the Rapid Elisa test at 12 weeks conclusive under this circumstances?

Thanks

Max.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 02:00:56 am »
The drugs your friend is taking in no way impact the 12 week testing window.

AN example of a drug therapy that can cause delay is chemotherapy for cancer. In that treatment, the entire immune system (along, hopefully, with the cancerous cells) is basically destroyed. It is for this reason that it is imperative that people undergoing harsh chemo be in an astonishingly dust and dirt free home or in a hospital clean room, as any pathogen would stand the chance of killing the patient. Masks and gloves and surgical gowns are often required for any contact.

Obviously, over time, this immune system rebuilds itself. And when it does, future chemotherapies notwithstanding, the patient's testing window returns to the 12 week standard.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Maximiliano

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 04:15:45 am »
Thank you jkinatl2 for this extensive and perfect explanation. ;D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 05:51:52 am »
Max,

In addition to the (correct) information JK gave you...

Your friend was incorrect when he told you that autoimmune disease can cause delayed seroconversion.

If autoimmune disease effects the tests at all, it is through causing false positive results. A person with an autoimmune disease has a hyperactive immune system to the point where it is attacking the person's own body, and creating antibodies that can cross-react with the ELISA test, causing a false positive..

Western Blot tests confirm whether or not the positive is a false one (possibly caused by an autoimmune problem) or an actual positive. That's one of the reasons why a person is not considered hiv positive until a confirmatory WB test has also come back positive.

The only people who might take a little longer to seroconvert and test positive are those on chemotherapy for cancer, on anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, or those who have been injecting street drugs, every day, for years. Even these people will normally test positive (if actually infected) by three months.

The window period has been at three months for years now. If common drugs like SSRIs caused delayed seroconversion, the window period would be much longer to catch people who don't want to admit to SSRI use. (because mental illness carries stigma)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Maximiliano

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 04:36:56 pm »
Wow, Ann that was an AWESOME explanation.  :D Thank you so much.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.