Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:57:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 463
Total: 463

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Votiing for the AMG destination should be open to only...

Registered members
24 (80%)
Registered members and their non-member significant other
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: September 28, 2009, 05:26:19 pm

Author Topic: AMG Destination Vote Procedures  (Read 9423 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

AMG Destination Vote Procedures
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:26:19 pm »
Hello Everyone,

A minor issue has come up regarding how the destination for AMG should be chosen.

Should voting for the AMG destination only be open to registered members?

Or, should registered members also be allowed to cast a vote for their significant other, who is NOT a registered member?

Although I created a poll, I would also like you to post your choice below with any additional comments.

We'll discuss this for the next 10 days.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: AMG Destination Vote Procedures
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:40:27 pm »
I voted for registered members only.  This is, afterall, an AidsMeds Gathering, so it seems appropriate that AM members make the decisions.
Of course, this is not to imply that the gatherings be limited to members, - the more the merrier.

Mike

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:43:33 pm »
edited to say: Keep it simple, members only.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:46:18 pm by killfoile »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 06:00:46 pm »
I voted for registered members only.  This is, afterall, an AidsMeds Gathering, so it seems appropriate that AM members make the decisions.
Of course, this is not to imply that the gatherings be limited to members, - the more the merrier.

Mike

What I was basically going to say....Now and can relax and go feed my babies... :D ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:44:00 pm »
Since we are talking about voting proceedures for policy decisions, how locations and other things are determined on a members-only website, it only follows that only "registered members" should have a vote.  That is the way the Democracy of our free countries works.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 10:04:34 pm »
Ditto...registered members only for voting purposes.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 04:24:54 am »
I think we are making a big deal out of something that probably won't be in the end.  As far as I can tell only a handfull of people have registered partner/family votes and those individuals have primarily voted for Las Vegas/New Orleans.  If those votes are taken away, then I suspect those individuals will simply register their partners/family as members to get their votes back.  In which case, this discussion would have been a waste of time.  Plus how far back are you going to retrospectively change this rule, wouldn't Chicago have been a nominated city if this rule was in effect when we first picked cities?

Unless you will limit it to "participating" members (i.e., have had discussions in the forums or a message count above a certain limit), I see this rule as being not much of a solution to the real issue (some households have more votes than others).

You really shouldn't change vote procedures mid-vote.  Perhaps this vote was done too quickly and rules should have been established in advance.  Changing rules to take away people's vote is just asking for trouble (drama)!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 06:56:29 am »
Those of you who say that only members should have a vote, or only one vote per household, are forgetting that some of us have partners with minds of their own who want to vote for a location different to the location the primary member wants to vote for.

I could help my bf create an account, but it would only be used for AMG concerns as he just doesn't do computers. He IS interested in going, because we want to do some traveling together and he knows how much it would mean to me to go to an AMG. He'd RATHER go to NO, but will go to LDN, while I'd RATHER go to LDN, but will go to NO. What to do? He'd be helping me financially, so why shouldn't he get a say?

Mind you, he wouldn't be the only person here who only used their account for AMG stuff. And there have been people in the past who only registered in the first place because they wanted to attent part of - or all  of - the event, so the "active member" with a post count of "x" isn't necessarily fair either.

And Joe, just in case you're reading this, I hope you don't think he's my "bf of the month". (you mentioned this in the other thread, which I didn't want to hijack further now we have this thread) We were first together sixteen years ago (for five years) and we've been back together now again for nearly two. He's the flavour of my life, not the flavour of the month. :)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 11:33:38 am »
Yeah -- it's amazing how anything can get unnecessarily complicated. 

I think it is quite simple -- if someone who is presently NOT a member, feels so strongly about voting, then they can become a member.  Members can vote, non-members can't.  I can promise you all that Sid has no intention of becoming a member simply to cast a vote, so not everyone will be joining just to vote on AMG.

Finally, having members only vote, enables us to know folks are following the rules.  Allowing non-members to vote raises the possibility of non-existant significant others voting.

Mike

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 01:29:07 pm »
In the past, the choice of destination has been for the most part, unanimous. This hasn't been an issue in the past. Therefore, there was no need for any type of voting policy to be put into place. In fact, Rab brings up the AMG Handbook each year. I've yet to see it ;D

This year we have 2 destinations running neck to neck. It is quite possible that someone who is keeping tally on their end could jump in at the last minute to vote for their non member significant other just to swing the vote. I'm sure if anyone of us had any forsight into the future 5 or 6 years ago, policies of some sort would have been put into place from the very beginning.

If this isn't an issue, than why do we have so many more members this year casting a proxy vote for their significant other? We all know why. Because they want their choice of destination to win. Nothing wrong with that. But there needs to be a way to ensure that the vote reflects the MEMBERS of AidsMeds.com.

I'm confident that in the end you all will reach a consensus on how this should be handled. Not only for this year, but also for AMGs to follow.

P.S.

In the preliminary vote, all votes were counted. Even if the non member votes were removed, Chicago still would not have made the top 3. After removing the votes for Tom (Chicago), Nico's partner (Las Vegas), Mini (New Orleans), and Oscar (New Orleans), the results would have been...

Las Vegas      19
London         13
New Orleans   5
Chicago          4

Offline Cliff

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 01:43:40 pm »
Ah!  I stand corrected on the Chicago claim (perhaps I should actually count them before making the charge).  

I'm glad things are a bit close this year.  I think it will kick up some additional interest in AMG.  Call me naive, but I don't think we will have significant manipulations in the voting (and to date I haven't seen too much of this, I don't consider Mini/daddy, Santi's nor Ann's bf votes as unfair), but do acknowledge that there could be some issues.

Anyhoo, I think this will give London a bit more traction!   :P

Joking.  Sorta.

;D

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 02:54:46 pm »
And Joe, just in case you're reading this, I hope you don't think he's my "bf of the month". (you mentioned this in the other thread, which I didn't want to hijack further now we have this thread) We were first together sixteen years ago (for five years) and we've been back together now again for nearly two. He's the flavour of my life, not the flavour of the month. :)

Ann
I meant the comment tongue-in-cheek and I said it in support of having one vote per family unit, so they would be equal with a single member vote.  I am very sorry if anyone took that as offensive, because I know many of your partners and I cherish them as much as I do you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 06:33:17 am »

I meant the comment tongue-in-cheek and I said it in support of having one vote per family unit, so they would be equal with a single member vote.  I am very sorry if anyone took that as offensive, because I know many of your partners and I cherish them as much as I do you.

Cheers, Joe. I have to admit I did wonder what you meant. I'm glad we got it sorted. :)

And I hope people understand that my partner wants to vote differently to me. I'm not pushing for a vote-by-proxie (or become a member solely to vote) to strengthen my own vote. Just so that's clear...

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dennis

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 12:08:06 pm »
Here are the final results of the above poll.

30 persons participated by anonymously voting in the above poll.

24 (80%) persons expressed voting should be limited to registered members.
       6 (20%) persons confirmed they would like voting to be open to non registered members as well.

7 members vocally expressed their opinions above. Out these 7...

5 stated they would like voting to be limited to registered members only.
     2 stated voting should be open to non registered members as well.

Based on the above feedback from forum members, voting for anything related to AMG will be restricted to registered members only.

Offline Lakis

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 12:20:34 pm »
Members only

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.