Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:42:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 622
Total: 623

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pumping Hard!  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Growler

Pumping Hard!
« on: October 31, 2011, 04:44:06 am »
I received a call today. I've been referred by the HIV clinic to start "gym" and I'll be going for physio and occupational therapist reviews next week.

Should be interesting, since the only thing I've ever pumped is my....

GROWLER (Who hates exercise so much he thinks breathing should be a voluntary activity)
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline 47DegreesNorth

Re: Pumping Hard!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:32:20 am »
Do ittttttt!
The gym gets addicting and it makes you feel good especially if you start getting good results :)

Offline numbers

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:04:00 pm »
You can enjoy it, the gym is great for stress relief and you will feel better!  Try signing up for a class or two so others can help motivate you, or if you can afford a few sessions with a trainer that might help you get into a good routine and learn what to do.  Good luck!
Tested positive Feb. 2010 VL 181K CD4 161
Started Truvada, Prezista, and Norvir
Sept 2010 VL UD CD4 380
Jan 2011 VL UD CD4 450 I can sleep now thanks to Cipralex!
March 2011 VL UD CD4 490
September 2011 VL UD CD4 500

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:53:05 am »
Remember, most gyms don't appreciate members hanging around the locker room too much.  Or so I heard.  If you're just starting, perhaps an at-home approach should be used first?

Best of luck.  I too used to hate exercising.  I bitched about walking to get my smokes.... ;)

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Growler

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 05:54:39 am »
Remember, most gyms don't appreciate members hanging around the locker room too much.  Or so I heard.  If you're just starting, perhaps an at-home approach should be used first?
It's the hospital rehab gym that I'll be attending, so I suspect that my cruising opportunities will be limited to old dear's who are post-op hip replacements.  :D

GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:15:16 am »
Consider yourself lucky to have this support!  I couldn't always afford physio everytime I needed it in my life.  But every time I was able to afford it or have it covered, it was very helpful. 

If they are working in the hospital, they are professionals, unlike the crap shoot you find for trainers in a gym.

If the physio goes well, and you enjoy it, they might also give you instruction how to continue on your own in a gym or just exercising out in the fresh air.

Maybe the hospital has a chic tea room with a view, you can bring a glammy magazine and enjoy the experience.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:30:54 am »
speaking of trainers -- do a google-image search on "Brian Pumper" (making sure "SafeSearch" is turned off!). Before his current career he was a trainer at my gym :) He was about 20 years old at that time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:32:50 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Growler

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 01:35:26 am »
speaking of trainers -- do a google-image search on "Brian Pumper" (making sure "SafeSearch" is turned off!). Before his current career he was a trainer at my gym :) He was about 20 years old at that time.

Damn! I'm accessing the internet from the local library at the moment and I just know somebody will scream out pervert if I do that search.......fuck it I'll risk it ;D

Ahhhhhhh!!!! He's playing with boobies! You could have warned me he's straight!

GROWLER
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:49:54 am by Growler »

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 04:37:13 pm »
Hospital Gym was the best most relaxed funny gym time i have had
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 05:59:45 pm »

Offline thales

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 07:31:27 pm »
Do ittttttt!
The gym gets addicting and it makes you feel good especially if you start getting good results :)

second2one is totally right. I only can encourage you. It's perfect for body and mind.

My regular exercise at the gym helped me a lot to deal with my HIV infection in general. Unfortunately, I do have to cope with weight loss....

Offline karry

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 06:32:42 am »
In my experience, exercising  helps with coping with living with HIV. I hit the gym 1 year ago and I feel  a lot better about everything. Yoga classes are also offered at my gym and they help me clear my mind and concentrate on the things that keep me happy. I don't know if its the effect of the gym or not, but since I started my CD4s have gone up from 760 to 980...and I am not on meds. Add to that the fact that I am stronger physically and have lost a couple of pounds in the right places...its all pluses for me!
Goodluck with the gym
Karry (who is almost addicted to the gym)
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline Growler

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 05:48:01 am »
I had the assessment this afternoon and the verdict is that the torture commences in 2 weeks time! I'll be starting resistance training (what ever the fuck that is...no don't tell me, I'm sooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to that surprise) and guzzling protein shakes.

On the bright side, I'll need some clothes for the gym (I don't think the leather boots and harness will cut it) so time to go shopping! Also the physiotherapist I'll be working with is a lovely young lady and from all appearances should be a lot of fun.

GROWLER

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 08:21:53 am »
On the bright side, I'll need some clothes for the gym (I don't think the leather boots and harness will cut it) so time to go shopping!

If you do decide to workout in leather boots and a harness I want video. ;)

Offline Growler

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 01:14:51 pm »
If you do decide to workout in leather boots and a harness I want video. ;)
Put me in front of a camera at the gym and I guarantee the only thing that anyone will remember will be the scene where where my arse prolapses in close up for the camera as I pickup the first set of weights :o

GROWLER

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 04:08:21 pm »
Put me in front of a camera at the gym and I guarantee the only thing that anyone will remember will be the scene where where my arse prolapses in close up for the camera as I pickup the first set of weights :o

GROWLER
[/quotApparently theres an audience for everything in the internet, You could end up a star, award ceremonies the lot
tt
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline auspoz

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 09:14:07 am »
I tell ya, if I can do it, ANYONE can!!!

Get the BEST goddam music mix on an ipod and go for broke. That's what I did! Been on a gym break ATM, but back soon, and I'm making my mix as we speak!

I NEVER went to a gym seriously before my diagnosis. But when I did I made new friends, had some fun, and found myself more confident. Takes a while, but believe me, it's worth it.

Hang in there.

Sincerely,

auspoz.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.