Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:51:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 355
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Worries....  (Read 2824 times)

Offline idee

• Hi...
Worries....
« on: May 18, 2013, 06:03:02 pm »
I have nothing to do since school let out. I might be failing my sociology class, they haven't posted the grades yet. I hope I at least get a C. I did not study for the sociology final and my essays were ok.
I am just not into sociology. It was all about the world basically and I am not planning on going to places like Africa or the middle east. They just scare me to much.
And my BLS class is $47.00. It is not the cost, but I am just not sure if I am ready to do CPR on someone. What if I dislodge a bone and it goes through their body slicing everything in its path? My mom told me that it can happen. And she had medical training. Well she is a retired ex ray technician.
But on the other hand I really want to do something where I know how to handle an emergency, not just for work, but for my family.
My daughter has her CPR card and she is only 15.
I know this has nothing to do with HIV, but my life is kind of boring and does not involve the topic of HIV unless I am at the doctors. I avoid ignorant family members who are scared of my virus. I do take my pills every day and so does my husband. Our daughter is HIV negative.

Offline darryaz

Re: Worries....
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 07:46:13 pm »
CPR is a good skill to have.  Many years ago I was a CPR instructor but I never actually had to perform it on an actual dying person.

One thing I have noticed in other kinds of medical emergencies is that you kinda go into auto-pilot and just do what needs to be done to handle the situation.  You don't take the time to be scared until it's over.

So I think if you did have to perform CPR you would do fine.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 10:30:27 pm »
I'm sure if given the option a dying person would rather have a HIV positive person perform CPR on them if the alternative is dying. 

What are you afraid of? You cannot give someone hiv by performing CPR on them even in the worst of circumstances. 

Not only that, why would you ever, ever, have to disclose you are hiv positive to someone you have give CPR to? You can't transmit hiv that way, you do know that right?

Unless I completely misread your post, which I think I did.  Regardless I hope this has nothing to do with your hiv status.  Take the CPR class, you might actually enjoy it and who knows, maybe it will open up a whole new field of interest and maybe you will want to become a paramedic, nurse, or other medical professional.  Think of the possibilities. 

Ps. The chances of a bone breaking, eh so what, when the alternative is death break some bones.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:35:01 pm by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 11:44:40 pm »
I know you said this isn't about being poz, but I am wondering whether you're dealing with depression.  Losing interest in things you once had interest in sounds like it to me.  Having said that, I know many choose fields of study that they really were never all that interested in to begin. 

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 12:04:20 am »
Hey Idee; 

Did I read in an earlier post that you are already in the CPR class?

It sounds like you want to have the skills and abilities for emergencies, but are concerned about handling the situation in the right way.  I got my Emergency Medical Tech (EMT) certification, and a few of my classmates went on to be Paramedics.  I think that everyone that does emergency medicine has a little underlying concern that they may not perform adequately in the heat of the moment -- but that was what made me study a little harder.

As Bug pointed out, if the choice is death or a few broken bones, I think most of us will choose the broken bones.

Best, JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:18:16 pm »
Idee, one of the advantages you have when coming to handling emergencies is that you're a mom.  We're equipped to handle all types of emergencies that our children can get into.  Have you had to deal with one yet?  I had to a few times when my daughter was growing, and you'd be surprised what a mother can do.  With those skills, we transfer them to others when faced with other emergencies, and do well.

As for sociology, unfortunately there are certain core classes that have to be taken.  I hated statistics and policy writing, but had to take them (ick).  I know it's difficult to work through a subject you don't care about, but it would do you well to try this.  Sometimes employers look at a candidate's overall gpa, when considering who to hire. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 12:46:55 am »
I really did not think about depression, my house is in amazing condition, I mean it is clean and I take showers on a regular basis. My motto is if I do not like it then change/fix it. So I do not think it is depression.
But thanks for the replies. I guess I need to put more thought into studying than worrying.
I am a little more motivated because I found out today that my grade in sociology is a C.
I just need to find out my psych and English grades.
Also I am interested in the field I am going into, I am just not too good at things. My older brother is an artist, my younger sister speaks three languages and the other younger sister has had the same job for 13 years now. I have gone from a house wife to a student in the last six months, so college is new to me.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:52:29 am by idee »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.