Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:35:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 222
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is anyone fed up with the term "poz" (or Postive Everything)?  (Read 21183 times)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Is anyone fed up with the term "poz" (or Postive Everything)?
« on: February 10, 2007, 02:48:23 pm »
Cos I am, and Positive This & Positive That etc

When people ask me why I take my meds I say chronic HIV 1 infection, maybe it's the scientist in me,maybe its a cultural (English) thing

Deffo off organisations that are eg called Positive Nation, Positive Place, Positive Help etc (although this Scottish ASO called Positive Help is rather to the point and useful as it happens) or some kind of intials like ABCD+, ENP+, GNP+, HIDEHO+

- matt (don't wave your POZness at me mr, it's looking rather small and pasty) the newt
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:57:53 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Is anyone fed up with the term POZ (or Postive Everything)?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 02:55:26 pm »
John Poz and John Neg
sat on a fresh-cracked egg
in the frying pan

and both of them cried
before they died
when the egg got fried

because the flame was hot
and poz or not
you still get cooked

In Memoriam
Jon Poz
John Neg

and their fried egg
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Re: Is anyone fed up with the term "poz" (or Postive Everything)?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 03:10:19 pm »
Matt, how about that we are just trying to "fend off the Umpa-Lumpa's?"  ;)

Not very scientific, I know..

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 03:18:30 pm by Eric »

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 03:11:26 pm »
Good poem.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 03:31:55 pm »
Matt, I will walk into this one and step on the eggs.  What drives me nuts is the phrase 'I am hiv' as opposed to 'I am hiv positive.'  (Told you I would walk right in.)  As in G.M.H.C. meaning gay men's health club instead of crisis.  The diminutive 'pozzie' does grate and the 'poz' as opposed to 'positive.'  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 03:40:31 pm »
Matt,

It's been a long time, since I had to say to someone" I am HIV positive, with an aids diagnosis in 2003.

Personally, I don't like the term "POZ". It's too slang for me.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 03:46:56 pm »
George Orwell used to decry the process by which mass media causes language to become bland.  I took that to heart as a teenager, and through the process became very interested in language and linguistics.  In fact, I liked linguistics so much that I have an MA in it. 

And, basically, comparative structures like XXX positive which derive from YYY positive, aren't really that unusual.  Just about anything which proves useful in language (for example, the suffix construction ???-postive) gets used, overused, and then it eventually becomes archaic.  I see no reason to get emotional about it.  It speaks more to the attachment to the connotation of the word "positive" to you than to the usefulness of the suffix to speakers of English.

As far as the abbreviation of "positive" to "poz"  ....  or the dimunition of "positive" to "pozzie", these are also perfectly normal linguistic processes.  Generally, the law of linguistic economy dictates that "positive" would eventually become "poz" much in the way that "taximeter cabriolet" evenually became "taxicab" or just "cab".  The word is no less useful, and much simpler to say.  It also, as a general rule, fits better into the phonetic patterns of English, so pretty much feels more natural to the average speaker. 

Grammar purists decry change in language as something akin to a sign of the apocalypse.  All languages change... it is a process that cannot be stopped.  It is perhaps more interesting to analyze why a particular speaker would have an issue with one particular change and not another.  It says a lot about a person. 

For example, I cringe every time I hear anything that even closely resembles psychobabble.  It's basically, I think, because I am stongly prejudiced against re-wording things in order to lessen their effect.  And, frankly, in my opinion, a jerk is a jerk even if he is emotionally challenged.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 03:48:47 pm by dtwpuck »
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 03:49:58 pm »
how poz and poetic...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 03:51:43 pm »
What drives me nuts is the phrase 'I am hiv' as opposed to 'I am hiv positive.'

Me too, Win. If you are HIV you better start runnin' because I am gonna whup your sorry ass but good!

:-*

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 03:54:55 pm »

My blood type is  o+. so I guess,  I am O- pozitive !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 08:55:44 pm »
The term doesn't bother me at all and have used it plenty of times. If a person doesn't want to be called poz, then you should let others know this. It would also be nice to know what you would want to be called. If nothing at all and just your name, fine, if something else, fine too. I try to work with people's preference but if you don't make it known then how the hell am I suppose to know? Just throwing that out there.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:26:41 pm by Razorbill »

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 09:16:18 pm »
It doesn't bother me to be called poz by other poz people and especially online but it bothers me that I will from now on be identified as an HIV positive person. Yes, I am positive, but that is not who I am. What is bothersome is when people use the term AIDS so commonly. They called the drugs I take AIDS drugs and the disease I have is AIDS. Technically I guess I already have AIDS at 200CD4 cells but I hope to rebound my CD4 cells and not see them drop this low. The word AIDS bothers me more than poz.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 09:24:42 pm »
I think I prefer "I have HIV", like "I have a cold" or "I have diabetes".

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 09:58:20 pm »
No.  I sorta like it, but I don't think it has much meaning beyond poz people and those who deal with them.  If you walk up to 10 people and announce "I am poz" I bet at least half would have no clue what you mean.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 10:09:57 pm »
If you walk up to 10 people and announce "I am poz" I bet at least half would have no clue what you mean.

Boo

They'd probably think you were trying to do British slang like in Mean Girls.

That is so fetch.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 10:44:12 pm »
They'd probably think you were trying to do British slang like in Mean Girls.

The type of people to whom one would address such a statement are not likely to be familiar with Mean Girls or British slang.

And stop trying to make fetch popular!  It's just not gonna happen. 

Remember to wear your hair in a pony tail tomorrow, please.

Boo

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 10:54:37 pm »
As far as the abbreviation of "positive" to "poz"  ....  or the dimunition of "positive" to "pozzie", these are also perfectly normal linguistic processes.  Generally, the law of linguistic economy dictates that "positive" would eventually become "poz" much in the way that "taximeter cabriolet" evenually became "taxicab" or just "cab".  The word is no less useful, and much simpler to say.  It also, as a general rule, fits better into the phonetic patterns of English, so pretty much feels more natural to the average speaker. 

Speaking as one who shortens everything, "Seven-Eleven" has become "The Sev," "Project Runway" is now "The Proj," and "HIV" has actually become a phoenetically-pronounced word instead of an acronym, I find that the things I tend to shorten are that which I have to say most often. 

That said, "poz" instead of "HIV positive" is, to me, as objectionable as saying "AIDS" instead of "Acquired Immunodeficiency syndrome" every time... which is not at all.

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 11:45:31 pm »
it's all i ever think about in one way or another that i am hiv positive and how it effects my life. i fear what people will think if they knew or if they can't tell because to me i feel like it's written all over my face. sometimes i'm okay with it and other times i hate it and don't want it to be part of who i am but it's infected every cell. i try not to hold it against me that i didn't protect myself. i can't change the past all i can do is live for today and keep faith to see my future.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 11:53:01 pm »
oh duh? the term?  i'm kinda slow....marinol must be kicking in i was think i was fed up with being pos.   :-\
now that you mention it i haven't given it much thought.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 02:53:23 am »
Speaking as one who shortens everything, "Seven-Eleven" has become "The Sev," "Project Runway" is now "The Proj," and "HIV" has actually become a phoenetically-pronounced word instead of an acronym, I find that the things I tend to shorten are that which I have to say most often. 

That said, "poz" instead of "HIV positive" is, to me, as objectionable as saying "AIDS" instead of "Acquired Immunodeficiency syndrome" every time... which is not at all.

Yes, I also don't like the abbreviated... Such as It used to be Anderson Cooper 360, now it's AC 360. America's favorite videos, is now AFV. That just drives me nuts. :P I know there are more...

Thats just the way I am though. And yes, if I was to walk down the street and say I am "poz" some people would wonder what I meant. If I said I was HIV positive, those same people, would know exactly what I meant.

I Will just live with  it, like all the other boyz (boiz) and Girlz.....   :)

Ray 8)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 03:08:02 am »
Matt, I like blowing their minds and say, I have AIDS. Then I wait for a stupid reaction. I've noticed it doesn't bother people like it use to. My doctor is big on Advanced HIV disease. I could say, I have human immunodeficiency virus but then I get that what is that look.  :D

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 05:14:59 am »
Everything becomes pollutant or noise in large repeating quantities... I dunno...

Drew

Offline mjmel

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 06:09:14 am »
This forum is the only place I use "POZ" CUZ it gets the message across quickly and
because I type so frigging slow+ typos that I can use all the help I can get.
Nice eggy poem, newt.
I wouldn't like it if I had hear someone use it to refer to themselves, though. On that, I'd agree wholeheartedly.
Luckily I don't talk to many people these days since I'm located in rural area.........and I like it that way.
:)

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 09:38:30 am »

Yes, I also don't like the abbreviated... Such as It used to be Anderson Cooper 360, now it's AC 360. America's favorite videos, is now AFV. That just drives me nuts. :P I know there are more...

Ray 8)

KFC. 
mmmm, anderson cooper.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 10:10:22 am »
I mostly just use it here.  But I have caught myself saying it in the 'real world'.  Poz/Positive for organisations doesn't bother me too much, though I've never given it any thought. 

I don't like those bio-hazard signs/tats people use.

Offline terpie82

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 10:45:39 am »
I for one can't say I'm fed up with it...at least not yet. Perhaps we should come up with our own term, like how the term for homosexuals was replaced  by the happy "gay" term. Although it may be difficult to incorporate into daily conversations, expecially since the forums is found on "poz.com", but we can be trendsetters. I'll start off with a few suggestions. So my sister and I have our own secret language that we use when we're talking or chatting online. Someone who is HIV+, we say he/she has "sugar", as in sweetness. Yes, I have sugar but sorry, I don't let anyone borrow a cup. We also have a term for gay, and it's "intense". Yes, I'm intense but that's only because I can't change who I am.

As for people using AIDS in lieu of HIV+ Ihavehope, it bothers me too but whenever that happens in my presence, I'm sure to correct it/them without any reservations (oops, did I let the tiger out...sorry, I can go from 0 to bitch in less than 2 seconds, haha).
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 10:55:33 am »
I think it is just a process of linguistic evolution.....if being "HIV Positive" has evolved to being "Poz" I am okay with it....I find it more annoying when filling out health-related paperwork and there is a question "Do you have AIDS?"....I would probably answer "no" and then elaborate in the margin or add another question: "Are you HIV positive?" and answer "yes" to my addition.

Be Well...
Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 10:58:56 am »
terpie82, when someone that has Advanced HIV Disease uses the term AIDS, it's because they are knowledgeable of the definition of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.  HIV with CD4 <200 with an OI.

Offline terpie82

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 11:08:51 am »
Hey RR, I'm well aware of the AIDS definition. It bothers me when people who don't know the distinction between HIV+/AIDS -especially the uninformed neggies- use it synonomously with everyone who is HIV+.  :)
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 11:16:56 am »
terpie82, that is something that will always be. That is the same as people that hear that someone had stints put in for vascular heart disease  always presumming that, that person has had a heart attack when is far from the truth. That's something we can't avoid.

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 11:23:56 am »
I'm with Cliff about the biohazard tats.  They are disturbing.  On the bright side though, they are a form of automatic disclosure to potential sex partners.

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 11:50:58 am »
Matt, I like blowing their minds and say, I have AIDS. Then I wait for a stupid reaction. I've noticed it doesn't bother people like it use to.

Rod, I do the same thing and most people are so incredulous (mainly because I'm overweight and they think everyone with "AIDS" is skeletal) they usually don't know what to say but "I'm sorry."   My standard response is "Don't be sorry, I've had a very easy time of it all-in-all and at the rate I'm going I'll probably live longer than I really want to..."  Almost everyone is pretty cool about it -- no one's ever started and stepped back or anything like that.

Even when I used to say "I'm HIV+" people were incredulous, but that was back in the days when I had a size 32 waist and a decent body.  The stereotype of the emaciated and pallid "AIDS victim" is still alive and well. 

Boo

P.S.  I dislike the biohazard tattoo because it implies the wearer is a danger to others (I know the tattoo is ironic but irony is lost on a lot of people).  I have a small equilateral black cross with a pink triangle in the center of my left shoulder.   I should have just had "HIV+" tattooed there because most neg people (an even some pozzies) ask me what it means.  I say it means I'm a gay christian.  If they're stupid enough to believe me I know to avoid further interaction with them.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 12:05:16 pm »
Boo, that's like being told, "You don't look like anything is wrong with you or Nah, you don't have AIDS you look as healthy as a horse." My reply is, "don't let my looks deceive you." If I want to have fun, I always ask, "What I'm I suppose to look like?"  :D

Offline chadnla

• Relaxed in SoCal
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 01:12:34 pm »
The community is famous for coming up with slang terms for a lot of facets in our life.  personally POZ term doesn't bother me (it's less letters to type).  it's just a fact of life that people are always going to make slang and it can change over time e.g. previously AIDS was called GRID, although I will say neither soounds good, but its only because the connotations that people have assoc with those words.  The word really doesn't matter, it's how the word is used and defined in the media. Let's face it the media has a lot of power in determinng the meaning of a term.
"I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing."

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 01:34:38 pm »
Hmm, this term Poz doesn't really bother me.   

However, when I hear some really nelly guy say us pozzies or what not I just cringe.

The terms I find offensive are "Clean" and "barebacking".    Uh, now those two really irk me.   Why is it that unsafe sex between gay men gets this horrible term?   Is there an equivalent for straight people who have unsafe sex?

The most vile one to me is still "clean".   

As far as poz, I got no issue with it so long as people don't start introducing me as their poz friend ; )
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 01:44:41 pm »
This is just not something I even think about.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 01:58:37 pm »
This is just not something I even think about.

philly, why don't you just admit now that you are HIV- but simply don't have much else to do?  We all know it's true.

Love,

Boo

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 02:12:53 pm »
philly, why don't you just admit now that you are HIV- but simply don't have much else to do?  We all know it's true.

Love,

Boo

The funny thing is that when I was first diagnosed for many, many years I'd never refer to my diagnosis as "HIV" specifically.  I'd just reference it as my "condition"...

I never use the word "Poz" though come to think of it.  Reminds me of a magazine... wonder why.

Anyway, HIV is so trendy now.  I hear the medications enable you to climb mountains and stuff.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »
Strange that you should bring this up cos I'm into positive thinking and living and whenever I say to folk something like "I'm feeling really positive" I find myself grinning. Not that I'm particularly happy at anything at that precise moment nor am I crazy (well maybe a little) but I find myself grinning at the different way I'm using the word 'positive' nowadays. The irony, I guess.

Seven years into my diagnosis, I'm now aware that I spent a huge part of that period obsessing over and adjusting to the new uninvited permanent viral resident in my life. It may sound nuts but being diagnosed hiv+ really f**ked up my use of the word positive for a long long time. A word that had been a normal everyday word in my vernacular suddenly started sticking in my throat.

But thankfully something has shifted again. Not sure what or why but it has. And now when I use the word 'positive' I can kick it around quite comfortably and with some amusement to mean either my hiv status and/or my frame of mind. Like I said, strange.

However, the shortened term ‘poz’ makes me think of Scousers (Liverpudlians), who have a tendency to shorten almost every word. So, as a ‘Manc’, I avoid using it. Nuff said! [perhaps UK members only will get this bit..]  

As far as using the term 'positive' to disclose, I've always just said (after taking a deep breath): "I have hiv". Thinking back now, when I said that I often felt like I should have been wearing a label too or waving a flag or something! I'm actually rethinking my whole disclosure technique. I'm thinking along the lines of trying something like:

"I have hiv, 2 beautiful cats and really nice breasts!"

See where that gets me... ;D

By the by, mr the newt, like your ditty!

Melia :)

/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline mjmel

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2007, 02:33:18 pm »
are u people talking in code or have I just taken a leap into another zone (again)?
What is "Deffo off .........." ?
What is "By the by, mr thenewt, like your ditty!"
O.K, I'm officially old. 

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2007, 02:49:16 pm »
I hate the term to it's like, 'hey lets do lunch and by the way I am  poz`'

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »
Hi mjmel:

"Deffo off" = Definitely off = Definitely don't like...
Not code, just newt's way with words...

As for mine:
By the by = By the way
mr the newt = Mister the newt (the poster calls himself matt the newt)
like your ditty = like your little poem

Hope that helps to clear and not further confuse!

Miss Melia :)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline mjmel

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2007, 03:02:45 pm »
Got it. Thanks, Sweet Melia.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2007, 03:14:14 pm »

By the by = By the way

I say this too!  Huzzah!

I also say "mos def" for "most definitely." As in...

"We should do something."
"Mos def."

And we'll say "as soon as poss" because saying "ASAP" makes us sound like yuppies.

I'm a busy guy... I don't have time for all these extra syllables.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 04:41:21 pm »
I don't particularly have a problem with the word poz it probably isn't a word i'd ever use myself though.  I did see someone describe themselves on here as riddled once I have a problem with that one!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 04:53:44 pm »
The terms I find offensive are "Clean" and "barebacking".   

"Clean" pisses me off too.   A lot.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007, 04:56:22 pm »
  I did see someone describe themselves on here as riddled once I have a problem with that one!
  I am still trying to make sense of this sentence.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2007, 04:57:39 pm »
"Clean" pisses me off too.   A lot.

I hate that term... so very much.

This guy, who knew I was poz, said to me, "I'm clean..."

And I was really drunk, so I didn't manage to have quite the daggers in my voice that I wanted... but I slurred, "So... what?  Am I dirty then?"

All I heard was crickets.

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2007, 05:02:22 pm »
This guy, who knew I was poz, said to me, "I'm clean..."

Here's what you say:   I love it when bottoms prepare before going out to the bar, turn around.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.