Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 338
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 336
Total: 337

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risk of Infection  (Read 16049 times)

Offline neri

Risk of Infection
« on: September 26, 2006, 05:09:42 pm »
I had a male to male annonymous encounter 6.5 weeks ago similar to a glory hole.. we were seperated by a palstic curtain...
I received oral sex  ( inserted my penis into his mouth) .
I was wondering the chances of getting HIV..
I had my pants on and only my penis was exposed...
I recenlty had swollen glands.. for 3 weeks that have just gone away.. I have had gas in my stoamch..
I can keep food down, I have an appetite. I am not vomiting or nor do I  feel naussious
I have slight itching around the l/s side of my stoamch, usually more noticiale at night.
I have no leisions or vissible maarks around my genitals or thigh area..
I went to the doctor and ruled out strep.. Doctor also said I had geographic tongue but no yeast infection that they could see..
I have no fever..
I have been going to the CDC sight, WEB Md and other varoius medical sights and they aidvse that there is a risk of contracting HIV this way..you folks seem to be on top of things and upfront  so  Iam asking your opinion.
If HIV is ruled out what about other STD such as LVG,heapatitis, herpes, trich, etc..

I had my pants on and only my penis was exposed...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: HIV THUR ORAl
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 05:48:56 pm »
First of all you were not in anyway at risk for HIV in this incident. Uncounted blowjobs later there has never been a case of HIV transmission for someone getting blown and you aren't going to make history by becoming the first.

Whatever your symptoms are/were about it wasn't HIV. Period. If they persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

You do need to know there are other STDs out there, some of which can be contracted skin-to-skin. So we always advise anyone who's sexually active to get a full STD panel done regularly -- at least annually and every six months is even better.

You also need to read the lessons on this site about Transmission and Testing. You can find the link to them in the welcome thread which begins this section. Take the time to read them so you get all the basics you need to know about safer sex.

There is absolutely no reason for you to be concerned about this incident in terms of HIV. But your super anxiety and concern signals to me that you do need to become better educated about HIV issues in specific and STDs in general.

This time out happily HIV is not an issue for you.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline neri

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:51:56 pm »
Thank you for your response..
I just want to get some more clariifaction..
This was my first male to male encounter and I just want to be safe and sure as  Ihave a spuse at home.. and 4 children..
I have read the  lesson "HIV and Transmission and Testing" in the welocome thread.
It was stated there and that  "The reason why sexual activity is a risk for HIV transmission is because it allows for the exchange of body fluids.
It has to enter thru the mucosal tissue, open cuts, sores or breaks in the skin..
It also said that this was a theoretical risk..and because of this the CDC has to report it as a risk..

So by reading this is it possible for HIV to be obtained thru insertive oral sex or is the risk factor so minimal that it is not a concern..

Again I have no sores or cutes around my gential area. . So I am only thinking can HIV be transmitted thru the tip of the penis, as this is a mucosal membrane / tissue..
I do not know the other persons history..

Is this something I need to be concerned with..

I know I may be over thinking and I have a guilty concious..

THis will be my last post on this topic..
Thanks....

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 05:58:24 pm »
Neri,

I agree with Andy, I can't see a risk for HIV transmission in this case. Saliva contains substances that actually inhibit the virus, meaning that oral sex is not a concern for this.

I also would reiterate Andy's advice to you about regular STD screening. If you're sexually active then twice a year is the go. If it's been a while since your last full STD screen or you've not had one before you might like to make an appointment with your doctor or local clinic.

One last thing, I think you're right when you say this is about your guilty conscience. You feel that you've done something wrong by having sex outside of your relationship and it's not uncommon for people in that situation to believe they're going to be punished. HIV/AIDS is not a punishment from an angry deity for perceived bad behaviours, it's just a disease.

And fortunately, it's not a disease that you have.

Regards,

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 06:11:35 pm »
Guilt is a whole separate issue although it can often cloud one's perceptions.

What I can repeat with assurance is that you did not put yourself at risk for HIV by getting a blowjob. Uncounted billions of blowjobs later, there has never been a documented case of transmission in this manner during the entire epidemic. And you ain't gonna be the first. Really.

You may not be planning to have sex outside your relationship again. But IF you do, just make sure that if you have intercourse, whoever is the insertive partner is always wearing a latex condom.

I'll repeat again there are other STDs out there and they are actually much easier to acquire than HIV. So should you find yourself having any symptoms make sure to check things out with your doctor.

As for the guilt, well torturing yourself with remorse is not a tribute to your finer character nor is it a love bouquet to your wife and family.It's just destructive so take a breath and let it go right now. That's t he most loving thing you can do for all concerned.

Cheers.   
Andy Velez

Offline neri

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 11:38:45 am »
Thnaks again..

Sorry but  I have to post one more time..

It has been about  8 weeks now.. I went to a doctor -2 weeks ago beucasue I was having swollen glands and stoamch issues mainly gass and bloating.
I also developed what the doctor caleld geographical tongue, which I never had before..
doctor gave me some antibodies for the swollen glands and they went away for a while.. just came back..
thorat feels like I have soemthing stuck int it and stilll gassy /burpy.. still have the tongue issue ( little white rings that grow out and turn pinkish -tongue has a hiary fungus on it..
I know you state the there never has been a case if HIV reported thru insertive oral sex.. has this in fact been documented / studies perfromed..
I calleld the GMHC (-800-243-7692) and they adivsed that there is a risk factor involved but it is slight.. The CDC advises same as well as well as some local HIV support centers I called..

So since it has been 8 weeks is it to early to get tested for HIV and other STD's.. or should I wait another 4 weeks..
If one can''t get HIV do you know of other std's  I could have received.. I have not developed any sores or discharger from my penis..I do have some slight itching around my stoamch pelvic area.. small little bumps come and go.
Coulduld this be LGV, Herpes or some other STDlike chlymidia. or trich..

Do you know of any testing facilities that perfom annonymous testing.. by this I mean that they do not report your name to the Dept. of Health..
again sorry to trouble you with my worries but you all seem knowledgeable in this area..

Offline neri

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 06:42:59 pm »
Thnaks again..

Sorry but  I have to post one more time..

It has been about  8 weeks now.. I went to a doctor -2 weeks ago beucasue I was having swollen glands and stoamch issues mainly gass and bloating.
I also developed what the doctor caleld geographical tongue, which I never had before..
doctor gave me some antibodies for the swollen glands and they went away for a while.. just came back..
thorat feels like I have soemthing stuck int it and stilll gassy /burpy.. still have the tongue issue ( little white rings that grow out and turn pinkish -tongue has a hiary fungus on it..
I know you state the there never has been a case if HIV reported thru insertive oral sex.. has this in fact been documented / studies perfromed..
I calleld the GMHC (-800-243-7692) and they adivsed that there is a risk factor involved but it is slight.. The CDC advises same as well as well as some local HIV support centers I called..

So since it has been 8 weeks is it to early to get tested for HIV and other STD's.. or should I wait another 4 weeks..
If one can''t get HIV do you know of other std's  I could have received.. I have not developed any sores or discharger from my penis..I do have some slight itching around my stoamch pelvic area.. small little bumps come and go.
Coulduld this be LGV, Herpes or some other STDlike chlymidia. or trich..

Do you know of any testing facilities that perfom annonymous testing.. by this I mean that they do not report your name to the Dept. of Health..
again sorry to trouble you with my worries but you all seem knowledgeable in this area..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 07:10:54 pm »
Read the "Welcome" thread. You'll find the answers there.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 07:21:31 pm »
Neri, there's never been a single documented case of transmission through someone receiving a blowjob and I feel confident in saying you aren't going to make history by becoming the first. It's one of the most common of sexual activities and if there was any real risk we would have known it long before today.

When GMHC or the CDC call it a "slight risk" they are simply covering their butts because anytime anyone has sex other than with their own hand there is theoretically the possibility of risk. But in the real world of HIV transmission just doesn't happen this way.

Other STDs are a separate matter. Some of them can be transmitted by skin-to-skin contact so if you have any concerns about symptoms you should discuss that with your doctor. From what you have reported I expect he's already taken any such possibilities into consideration but you can double check with him just to be certain.

In terms of HIV testing the average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who will seroconvert will occur betwen 4-6 weeks after an exposure to HIV. So a negative result at say 8 weeks is more than encouraging. The CDC does recommend testing for a definitive answer at 13 weeks. This is only general information because I don't see any need for you to get tested, although I suspect you are sufficiently worked up about the issue to want the reassurance of a negative test result.

As a guy having sex with another guy for the first time and taking into consideration your marital & family status, your reaction overall seems to be about guilt and other feelings rather than any basis in HIV science to be concerned. If you continue to be troubled you might consider seeing a therapist or other like professional to sort out feelings about what's going on.

Toss and turn as you may, this is not an HIV situation.

Really.
Andy Velez

Offline neri

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 02:29:44 pm »
Thank you for your respnse..

BUt I am still curious on a few things

1) what is the difference between Oral Thrush and Geograhic tongue..
It seems doctor told me I have geographic time but it only developed after insertive ora lsex.. I still have hair ball in the back of my throat and stoamce bloating and itching on my side.. also frequent urge to urinate even after going within 5 minutes.. not signs of sores or discharge arpund the penis orthigh areas,,
I did not mnetiion to my doctor my ordeal ...

2) I plan to be tested in a few weeks for HIV .. are their annonymous testing sites in NYc / NJ area where they don't take your manme and addresss an report it to the dept. of health..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 02:37:52 pm »
Did you ever get tested for STDs? You keep looking into HIV of which you never had a risk, but I've never heard you say if you've had an STD screening.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 02:46:35 pm »
No matter how we tell you HIV is not the issue HIV is what you mistakenly continue to focus upon.

The symptoms which are troubling you are something you should be discussing in detail with your doctor. You do not need to test for HIV, but go ahead and do it if collecting the inevitable negative result will ease your mind about that.

Whatever is going on has nothing to do with HIV and you should be telling your doctor in specific detail about what's bothering you.  This is not the place for your symptoms to be evaluated or diagnosed.
Andy Velez

Offline haurd

Risk of Infection
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 11:07:55 am »
Hello,
I am new here and I have read your welcome thread and various other posts.
All of which are very informative..
I am still concerend and am hoping you can ease some of my concerns worries wihth regards to HIV and Oral sex..
Even though HIV transmission thru oral sex is at a low risk percentage, as I have read in your welcome thread and various posts. I am thinking I am the unlucky one..
About 10 weeks ago I had received a blow job, what you alll call insertive oral sex, from a male.. I ejaculated in his mouth..
This happened in a 24/7 xxx theatre.. so I did not know the person or really see him..
I know semen is a way a passing the infection on.. If he scuked off other guy(s) prior to me could semen be present in his mouth  pass thru the tip of the penis and pass hiv..
Also if he had sores in his mouth and was bleeding could blood pass thru the tip of the penis and infect me..
I have developed a white coating on my tongue.. I also get red circles
outlined with a white ring.. may be this is oral herpes not sure.. or thursh.. in any case would thrush come on so soon after exposure..
I also have some itching.. but no vissable red marks / blothces or burrning sensation when urinating..
I am not asking for a diagnosis but wondering if this is oral thrush, would it  come on so fast..
I am waiting for the three month mark to get tersted .. What is the most accurate test to take..
Are the web sites that offer all in one STD testing accurate and trustworthy..
As other info I have never had anal sex or perfomed oral ( receptive) sex..
I do not do drugs and my body is otherwise healthy..
This was my first male to male sexual encounter..
I have called the CDC.
The CDC advised me that oral sex is a risk factor for HIV transmission..

Offline RapidRod

Re: Risk of Infection
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 11:20:20 am »
You don't get HIV from receiving a blowjob. There is a very, very small risk that the person giving the blowjob theoredically could contract HIV. You weren't at risk by cumming in the other persons mouth, they were at slight risk for infection. In 25+ years there has never been anyone infected by RECEIVING a blowjob. Symptoms or the lack of symptoms are not a way to diagnosis HIV. HIV has no specific symptoms. If all you have done is received a blowjob then you have not been put at risk.

Offline haurd

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 01:26:29 pm »
Rapid Rod,

Thank you for your response.. However I am still a little foggy /confused.. ???

Symptoms:
When I looked at other web sites, WEB MD, THE BODY, CDC they state symptoms of HIV are , diarrhea, flu like symptoms, oral thrush, swollen lymph nodes..etc..
So I am curious can oral thrush be a symptom of HIV.. if so how long would it take to develop on avg.. Is 10 weeks to short a period..

Oral Sex:
I know HIV has been around for 25 plus years.
How has i t been documented that there is no risk thru oral insertive sex... 
Have controlled studies been done where the two partners  (female / male and male / male) have protects /safe  anal / vaginal intercourse and one has HIV and the other does not and than perform unprotected oral sex both receptive and insertive.. are these studies if done available for review..

HIV Testing
What is the most accurate test tot take to ensure a negative or positive result.. Is it thru actual blood work or are the oral  / mouth tests just as accurate..
Does one have to get retested at 6 months if they are negative at 13 weeks, which is when I plan to test..

STD Testing Via Web Sites:
Do you know if the web sites that offer HIV and STD  testing are safe / confidential and their results accurate.. or is one better gong to a local clinic / dept. of health for testing..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 01:48:22 pm »
Wow, wow,wow slow down. If you would have read, even on the body and other sites that symptoms are in no way a way to diagnosis HIV. HIV has no specific symptoms. Some people like me didn't have symptoms at all. The health departments keep data on all sexual acts that lead to infection, they investage them and document them if they can be confirmed. Since the beginning of HIV there has never been anyone infected by receiving a blowjob. If you want to test and you really have no reason to except for your own concern. Any test is good, oral testing or blood testing. Your hiv/std clinic are good for anonymous testing if you wish.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 04:46:41 pm »
haurd,

Can I ask why you are using different usernames while posting to our forums? Thus far, you have also used neri

Please realize that this kind of activity is disrespectful of other forum members, as well as our moderators. People spend a considerable amount of time helping others in these forums. Using multiple accounts is at the very least annoying, if not deceiving and disrespectful of others. It is also against our Terms of Membership which you agreed to when you became a member. This information is also contained within the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now. So really, you have no excuse.

You must realize that the answers won't change, no matter how many names you post under.

I would appreciate a reply to this message, and I hope you will commit to using just one account - preferably your original one. If not, you will be banned from further access to the forums.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline haurd

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 12:22:01 pm »
Please accpet my apology....I will use my original sign on..

Offline neri

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 01:13:33 pm »
I have another question..
Since I did not know the person giving me oral and this was in a xxx/theatre..
I know HIV is a virus.. and blood is a carrier fluid..as well as semen
Say he gave oral to someone prior to me.. and still had some semen left in his mouth form the previous encounter.
Could than the semen pass thru the opening of the penis and infect one with the hiv virus..
As to blood, if he had blood in his mouth or bleeding gums / open sores could it also pass the virus thru the opening of the penis..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 02:45:27 pm »
neri,

Getting a blowjob, no matter what sort of details you want to add, is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline neri

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 04:42:14 pm »
Ann,

Thank you for your reply....

I just thought that the penis opening leads to the urethra which is - a mucus membrane thus a entry portal for the virus..

From what I have learned here is that even if there were blood or semen in the other persons mouth and he  /she was HIV positive; The saliva breaks down the virus therefor transmission is not possible thru Oral Insertive Sex.

Offline neri

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 09:34:33 am »
Do I understand this correctly....
From my last post...

"I just thought that the penis opening leads to the urethra which is - a mucus membrane thus a entry portal for the virus..

From what I have learned here is that even if there were blood or semen in the other persons mouth and he  /she was HIV positive; The saliva breaks down the virus therefor transmission is not possible thru Oral Insertive Sex."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 10:01:22 am »
neri,

Saliva contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to transmit successfully.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline neri

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 12:09:11 pm »
Ann,

Thank you for the feedback..

Please advise if I understand reply correctly ...

Even if there were blood or semen in his mouth, which I am unsure of,  it would interact with the saliva in his mouth and the saliva's different proteins / enzymes would render the virus unable to transmit...

So there is no risk of HIV infection..but this does not rule out other STD's only HIV..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 12:11:30 pm »
neri,

Getting a blowjob, no matter what sort of details you want to add, is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

If you're worried about other STIs, go get a sexual health care check up. You should be having one regularly anyway.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.