Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:00:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 447
Total: 447

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First Line Therapy Nutrition & Naturopath  (Read 8713 times)

Offline nycthreeoh

First Line Therapy Nutrition & Naturopath
« on: December 30, 2006, 03:54:21 pm »
Hey there,

I started the First Line Therapy nutrition plan which includes taking a supplement "shake" that helps build lean muscle mass - accompanied with some great recommendations for eating well and I feel great.  This plan was recommended to me by my naturopath when I lived in Vancouver and I've since moved to New York.  I want to know if anyone out there is also doing the First Line Therapy plan and if they are using a naturopath.  If so I'd love to hear about your experiences and also see if you can recommend a naturopath in Manhattan for me?

Take care...Anthony.

Offline qrky

Re: First Line Therapy Nutrition & Naturopath
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 06:41:51 pm »
Never heard of it...interesting.  First thing any naturopath's going to do (which is why it puzzles me people are so afraid of them) is change your diet and get exercise...they don't give you a ton of supplements most times.

-doug

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 07:41:40 pm »
Hi there. Unfortunately some naturopathic doctors here in NYC will push homeopathy on new patients as a way to balance the books. Ugly, but true, unless of course you're a fan of homeopathy (sorry Hermie, don't get upset please :)). Needless to say I think homeopathy is worthless money-making BS. If you meet a doctor like this you can always respond with something simple and direct e.g. "I don't do homeopathy. Next!"  The discussions will then open up to include other remedies e.g. tinctures

Any nutritional or naturopathic areas that pique your curiosity MUST be discussed with your HIV doctor first - just a reminder. Never take supplements etc without your HIV doctor's knowledge. Do not self-medicate etc. You know the drill

Offline nycthreeoh

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:22:55 pm »
thx for the tip  :)....I don't think homeopathy as an exclusive method of treating any illness is for me anyway.  I am on HIV meds but am taking vitamins and supplements to help keep me healthy.  I personally think that the metagenics stuff is the best after the research I did, but I do agree that if you're not careful a naturopath will try to get you buy what's on his/her shelves regardless of whether or not they really think it's going to do any good for you! 

Offline qrky

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 10:30:08 pm »
Go with a licensed naturopath.  Mine in VT - happy to give you a reference to him, he knows people everywhere - has been phenomenal.  Every time except one I've gone to a "real doctor" it's been a disaster of bad proportions.  You can't do much worse than a doctor giving you a scrip to put on your gums and then reading the label that says do not take internally, spending the night puking your guts out over this.  He's fixed things doctors can't and never been scared to tell me to see a doctor.  Not all naturopaths are quacks (there is after all a process of getting a degree and in several states a stringent licensing process).  And, if done right, it works.

-doug

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 11:22:29 pm »
yes, what you said is true. ....Not all are quacks.  However some will dibbledabble in quacky things for whatever reason. In the example I gave , a naturopath can push homeopathy because of the profit margin and just gamble on the placebo effect kicking in (then of course the naturopath looks like a genius), plus they have no guarantee you'll come back if you're a new patient. It's a win-win situation for them. If the placebo effect helps you, you'll likely come back. If the homeopathy fails and you don't return, well, they still made money off of you from the consultation fees and the homeopathy itself. If it fails and you do return, well, hey, another win for the doc. It's win-win-win for the naturopath ... I do like my naturopath - I think he's cool - but I cringe at some of his strategies. I can overlook a few flaws I guess, it depends on the person. Also ask the naturopath if he/sje has a lot of HIV positive patients, if they have any other training, etc. My naturopath was a nutrition expert before anything else. He knows a lot about nutrition
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:27:06 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline qrky

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 12:41:04 am »
Not sure if yer doc's an N.D....if mine recommended something and it was wrong he'd be in trouble with the State.  Usually I'm the one pusihng things on him.  My doc has always been loathe to give me anything...he does like certain products but always explained why even though I use New Chapter not his prefs.  A real naturopath is in serious states probably not going with pre-made stuff...sure you can buy all or most OTC if u look...but its a plan specific to you, not based just on those labs but also other factors.  Most of what an N.D. recommends is going to be OTC available if you try - not a lot of room for a cut.  Unless we have a black market licorice dealer, then we worry.  If he's an ND - then IMO you're pretty good, see me for a rec if you want cause my gu'ys has proven he's good  before.

-doug

Offline rick21007

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 07:49:42 pm »
I do go to an ND in addition to my regular ID.   I give her credit for getting me over acute hepb which did not go chronic earlier this year.  I went to her again to ask her for treatment to support my immune system.  What she prescribes you cannot get over the counter BTW, as I had tried.  My goal is that naturopathic treatment will help keep my numbers good so I dont have to start meds.  I think both naturopathic and conventional therapies can work well together.  And a good naturopathic physician will stress a general healthy lifestyle including diet and exercise.   Coincidently at my next appointment I am going to ask her about her recommendations to restore lean muscle mass.  I lost a lot with both the hepb earlier this year and with a chronic bowel and urinary tract infection which had just been diagnosed and treated at the same time I was diagnosed with hiv nearly a month ago.  Will be interested to know how you do with your shakes.   I know I need animal protein.  I just can't utiize plant protein as well.  I am a red-meat eater and a big milk drinker and that works for me.  One more thing, she does not recommend a lot of supplements including vitamins.   

rick

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 07:17:44 am »
Interesting about red meat and milk- I don't do much of either. I go more for soy and chicken/fish. To what Alex says my findings about regular docs can't don't think outside the box. I remember getting hep and going to to the doc. He said go home and come back in 2 weeks and we will know if you become immune or if it doesn't clear.
I found milk thistle and took it every day. When I told him after the good news, he didn't know what milk thistle was . I find with regular western docs I am always explaining things to them , because of my viral record. My new one wants to take me off meds for awhile, which I won't do.
I am not into vitamins anymore but searching for nature foods that fill the needs. I am really happy with taking bee pollen, stoneybrook yogurt and foods lacking corn syrop!
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 09:51:32 am »
My goal is that naturopathic treatment will help keep my numbers good so I dont have to start meds. 

Hi Rick,

Above you wrote "so I don't have to start meds" but I think you meant to write"so I can DELAY starting meds as long as I can"    Yeah?? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

And what did your I.D. doctor say to you on the above goal   ???

Curious,
Alex

Offline rick21007

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 01:05:04 pm »
Correct Alex--that is what my hiv MD told me.  Thanks for clarifying.

Rick

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 01:55:32 pm »
Correct Alex--that is what my hiv MD told me.  Thanks for clarifying.

Rick

thank heavens  :) good luck. hope you can delay as long as you can. the new drugs keep getting better and better  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.