Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:56:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AIDS question  (Read 8197 times)

Offline michaelman333

• Chaos and reason collide
    • My Facebook
AIDS question
« on: June 20, 2006, 06:16:14 pm »
So my BF was diagnosed with HIV in Jan. They think we had gotten in within the previous two months.

His #'s seemed good and then all of a sudden they dropped.

Yesterday his Dr. Diagnosed him in AIDS status. We are both obviously shaken up a bit. He keeps saying that he is going to die within 6 months based upon the research he has read.

I am a bit scared and I wondered what others' experience's were. This al happened so fast and I am not sure the answer.
06/29/09 ---- CD4- 392 (20%)   VL-Und
02/19/09 ---- CD4- 513 (23%)   VL-Und
01/11/09 ---- Switched Atripla
11/05/08 ---- CD4- 462 (23%)   VL - Und
04/01/06 ---- CD4- 274 (19%)   VL - 1200
03/20/06 ---- Started Truvada/Azatanovir/Ritonavir
02/28/06 ---- CD4- 219 (17%)   VL - 217,000
Diagnosed HIV+ 11/30/2005

You said I was lost/Wrong again
Said I had crossed that/Line again
Made it to easy to/Scream again
Made me feel queazy/Let me in
~~MLH

Offline Eldon

Re: AIDS question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 06:43:24 pm »
Just calm down, with the meds that we have available to us if followed as prescribed, his #'s can turn around. I've seen it happen. If he drinks or smokes, he's going to have to drop it to help his helper cells generate more helper cells to fight this battle.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 06:54:02 pm »
Just calm down, with the meds that we have available to us if followed as prescribed, his #'s can turn around. I've seen it happen. If he drinks or smokes, he's going to have to drop it to help his helper cells generate more helper cells to fight this battle.

As Eldon said, I've seen it happen too. First hand. I went to 419 from 42, a tenfold increase in 9 months. My VL is under 70 copies. I fully agree with Eldon's advice re: booze and cigs  -- to this list I would add illicit drugs, strenuous activities, and, to the best of your abilities, processed and fst foods with lots of additives -- but especially illicit drugs. If you wanna give us the actual numbers (you don't have to of course) and other details (again, optional) that info would be helpful

Offline michaelman333

• My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 07:01:41 pm »
well i know that his #'s went from 315 cd4 -121cd4

i worry though he refuses to stop smoking and drinking .. they are his major vices ... that is what worries me sometimes

~~MLH

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 07:14:28 pm »
well i know that his #'s went from 315 cd4 -121cd4

i worry though he refuses to stop smoking and drinking .. they are his major vices ... that is what worries me sometimes

hmm, hmm  :-\  .... baby steps if anything. that might be better. it's something. in times of stress, cold turkey might be a horribly bad idea. what about cd4 percentages?

Offline Teresa

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 07:20:51 pm »
Is he on meds?? My hubby was diagonised may of this yr..CD4 85. Hes on meds and feels pretty good..go next week for his first set of labs since starting his meds.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline michaelman333

• My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 07:31:03 pm »
just starting them :) so that should be a good sign.

~~MLH

Offline Teresa

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 07:39:39 pm »
Hopefully he will start doing and feeling alot better. I hope he doesnt have any side effects from the meds. Have you clicked on the drugs at the top left corner. It talks about all the drugs and the possible side effects. If you havent you should...its very good at explainingg the drugs.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 07:48:08 pm »
Personally, I would go shopping for another doctor. Any doc who claims that someone has six months to live with a new AIDS diagnosis is at LEAST in dire need of a second opinion. People just don't seroconvert, pass into AIDS, and die in less than a year. Not without some serious mitigating circumstances.

Before you and your BF commit to a lifetime of drug therapy, I would do some serious second-opinioning.

*edited to add*

The first year of diagnosis, CD4 counts and Viral Load can fluctuate WILDLY before they settle. Your doctor should know that.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 07:52:35 pm »
JK is on the money here. Get a second opinion. HIV is notorious for it's mad fluctuations in the first 12- 18 months after infection.

Oh and welcome to the forums.  :-*

Fondly,

MtD

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 08:08:16 pm »
Most definitely you need a new doctor, because the one you have just won't cut it.  Forget the numbers and labels for a minute and just work on getting a good doctor to start working with and to begin I would request a full copy of all of your labs from your current doctor, to take with you to the new doc.  (No need wasting money repeating tests)

I understand how the labels can scare the hell out of you, but like JK said, you don't get HIV and die from it within a year.  You both need to just slow down, start doing some research into both the disease and to find a new doctor and then go from there.  I also understand the fear you face and realize that what I suggest is easier said than done, but that's another lesson you need to learn.  Managing HIV takes work and the only way you will really feel comfortable is when you understand what HIV can and cannot do.

For now, just take is slow.  Your emotions will roller coaster and it's all normal.  This is a time when you just support each other and be kind to yourselves.  It will get easier, I promise, but some days just suck no matter what.  Most important is you found your way here so feel free to ask whatever you need to, so you can both feel more comfortable.  As others said, read some of the lessons and relax.

You've got plenty of time to begin this journey.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 08:13:57 pm »
I guess i didnt understand..I thought it was his partner that was saying he (himself) only had 6 months to live..not the dr saying it.

by all means if its the dr saying it find a different dr.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline jon

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 08:20:14 pm »
I got diagnosed with a CD4 of 12.  2 or 3 years later I'm still here.  Meds work. 
You'll have to kill Me before I die!!!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 08:29:15 pm »
I am with Teresa here. It was the patient himself that said he was going to die in six months :"from research he had read" ----Sometimes dangerous to read to much.

I had an aids diagnosis in October of 2003. T-cell were at 16. I have recovered, But it was certainly a struggle. And...We all respond differentlly, to the meds. Tell your BF, to try an realax, take his medication as prescribed. What is his current regemen ? What are his current numbers. This info would be helpful.

Ray
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 08:31:23 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 09:04:38 pm »
Hey Michael.

Many of us wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for meds, as we've been in double and even single digit CD4 counts and bounced back.  Your boyfriend's numbers will bounce back once the meds start doing their thing.

Cheers
Matt

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 09:10:40 pm »
Hey Michael,

I'm confused.....the doctor actually SAID he had six months, or that is just what your partner thinks he has?   In either case, it's just not true.  Slow down and breathe.....

Alan (who heard that six month thing 230 months ago)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 09:31:40 pm »
Did his CD4% fall significantly as well? The percentage tends to be more stable than the absolute count, which can bounce around a lot. And what are his viral load numbers?

Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline USNRET

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 10:24:45 pm »
I was diagnosed with AIDS by my doctor.  It was just a routine physical.  I was never ill.   I have been on Sustiva/Truvada for about 8 months.   In 2 months my Viral load went to undetecable.  My CD4 Count over double in 6 months and my percentage doubled also in that time.   Meds work...don't fret.  I plan on being around for a long time...and I bet your BF will also.  I'm sure that HIV/AIDS won't be the end of me.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 10:34:09 pm »
FIRE ZE DOCTAR! :'(

Offline michaelman333

• My Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 09:10:20 am »
Hey Michael,

I'm confused.....the doctor actually SAID he had six months, or that is just what your partner thinks he has?   In either case, it's just not true.  Slow down and breathe.....

Alan (who heard that six month thing 230 months ago)

My BF thinks he is going to die not the DR. just for the clarification...

~~MLH

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 10:31:02 am »
OK Michael,
First, before firing the doctor and moving on, have your boyfriend have a serious talk with him/her.
Since this is the first year, the advice offered by others is right on. His body is still adjusting to the fight it is waging against the virus. Someone already asked what his CD4 percentage was. I would also ask what is is viral load?

During the first year, both of these numbers will vary wildly.

Now, about your boyfriend's vices: Smoking - well, many of us do. If he can quit, mores the better. Drinking - how much? I have known chronic alcoholics who, when tested, had no immune system. But they didn't have HIV. It was the booze.

If your honey is a heavy drinker, it is time for him to start thinking about this lifestyle and possibly changing it. If he can't quit, then cutting back would help. This is called harm reduction and it is definitely better than doing nothing.

How many labs has your honey had? A decision on treatment should never be made on just a few tests. A series showing a pattern, i.e. dropping CD4s and rising viral loads, could indicate a need for meds. But a single or just a couple of labs won't show any pattern and only give an incomplete picture of what is happening.

Don't rush into anything. Your boyfriend should have a heart-to-heart with his doctor, have him explain what he is seeing, what his decision to recommend meds was based on and why.

Take care and let us know how things are going.

HUGS,

Mark

P.S. As the notation below my photo says, I've lived with this a long time, as have others here. Tell your boyfriend his days are not as numbered as he may believe.
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Etay1207

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 07:06:02 pm »
Wow!    121 t-cells?  I'm envious!  Mine were 71 the last time I had labs done. 
POZ since 1999
1/07 tcells: 530 vl: 72,922 7/07 tcells: 542 vl: 26,577
9/08 tcells: 339 vl: 56,120  7/09 tcells: 267 vl: 663,160
11/09 tcells: 71 vl: 498,670 2/10 tcells: 52 vl: 322,000
 no meds and feeling great!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 08:14:38 pm »
Etay, I understand you're new to the site, and welcome, but this thread is from 2006.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.