Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:46:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 380
Total: 380

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 7898 times)

Offline loshan

Hi All
« on: November 15, 2006, 11:28:31 pm »
Hello,
I was diagnosed a year ago and am going to the doc tomorrow to start meds (two weeks ago....cd4 - 250, vl 75,000).
I have been lurking around for awhile but just joined and decided to post and introduce myself before I start meds.
I am female...42 yo and live in a VERY rural area....5 miles from nearest town of 400, 40 miles from the nearest bank and walmart..... and 110 miles (one way)  to doctor.
And, of course tonight we are under winter storm watch so getting to the doctor tomorrow may require the chains to come out of the trunk, but I will get there ;)
Anyway, it is nice to know all you guys will be here when I start with the weird dreams and drunken behavior I have been reading about tonight.

loshan

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 07:56:39 am »
Hi Loshan, welcome to the forums!

I've moved your thread into the Living forum (from Treatment Questions) where you'll get more responses.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Welcome thread posted at the top of the Living with forum. There you'll be able to find out what else this site has to offer.

Good luck getting to your appointment - drive safe!

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:22:56 am »
Welcome Loshan....

Glad you decided to take the plunge....  I personally love this place although its not the same anymore...
I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not....  Hang in there Kiddo!  You are among friends now.  Welcome to the
family.........((((( Big Hug ))))) :-* :-* :-*
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 08:25:56 am »

So glad you decided to post and introduce yourself. Hope to hear more from you.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline clarke

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 08:55:20 am »
Hi Loshan, we used to be in the same kind of predicament, living in a rural area (West Tennessee), 40-odd miles to Walmart, over 80 to an MD (until the state placed one closer).  We had to drive to Memphis until an HIV/AIDS MD was placed in Jackson.

We moved to Maryland (Gaithersburg) 3 years ago, and our MD is about 20 miles, but grocery stores and stuff are way closer.

Let us know how things go with you, and check around on this site and the forums.  Lotta interesting people and information is around.  And these guys know how to help, and many of them (us?) have "been there, done that".

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:02:55 am »
Loshan - he from the big city... newly diagnosed here as well, had to start on meds immediately - no real side effects to speak of. 

Hope things go well tomorrow.  Starting meds is really the beginning of a new chapter for you.  Your health will improve before your very eyes, and the side effects are generally manageable.  Best of luck -

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 09:23:12 am »
Hey Loshan,

Welcome to the family here. I am glad you decided to join in.

I live in a rural area of Northwest New Mexico. But, in my case, we are somewhat more populated, around 125,000.

We have only one HIV doc here, and he plans to retire this June. What happens then is anyone's guess.

Anyway, glad you are here and let us know how the first night with the meds went.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 09:38:04 am »
Hi Loshan

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your doctor appointment.  Keep us posted on what regimen you and your doctor decide upon, and don't be afraid to ask any questions.  There is loads of experience here.

(I don't envy you if you have to put chains on.  I remember those days from my childhood in Montana. )

RAB

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 09:39:32 am »
Hello and Welcome Loshan!

Drew

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 10:52:42 am »
Loshan, welcome to the forums! I am sure you will be fine with your meds...anyway, this is a great place for support, love, and laughter...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 12:07:37 pm »
Welcome!

Thats all i got for now.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 12:50:38 pm »
Hi Loshan,

Welcome to the forums!   We have lots of folks here who live in 'rural' areas, and even for some who live in small cities (like me) the forums is our only way of having a support network.  That's why this place is so important!

Glad you found us, and hope you make it safely to the doctor and back.   Don't think about starting the meds with dread in your heart, but think of it with gladness.....they are literally saving your life.

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »
hello, welcome  :)

kate

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 01:00:25 pm »
Welcome Loshan,

Glad you found us! I hope you get to your doc appointment safe and sound. I know how it is to be hit with snow, we get a lot of Lake effect snow here....Hope to hear more from you...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 01:18:28 pm »

Welcome honey, you'll learn tons from us, we're a very experienced bunch  ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:31:53 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Eldon

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 02:54:04 pm »
Hello Loshan,

It is unfortunate that you have tested HIV positive. However, it is good that you are aware now so that you can take action with your health. Take each step day-by-day.

I wish to extend to you a warm WELCOME here at the forums. Here you will find the encouragement, communication, understanding, support, some cries, some laughter, and many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS answered.

We have a great group of Real people who will listen as well as answer you. We are here to encourage one another and to learn from each other.

Talking to other people helps us see that we are not the only ones with problems. Feel free to come and vent with whatever is on your mind from time-to-time as it is highly therapeutic.

In the interim, you may want to start taking a multi-vitamin, Omega 3 and eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and low-fat dairy and avoid processed foods, saturated and trans fats. This will also help you maintain a healthy weight.

Exercise at least three times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Offline Longislander

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 06:24:18 pm »
Hi Loshan, welcome, glad you decided to join in!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 06:31:16 pm »
Hi and welcome !!!

I too live in a rural town though twice the size of yours, 900 people. I think I have you beat on the Walmart however as the nearest to me is 8,000 miles away ( I live in Australia).

Glad you decided to join us and hope to hear more from you.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Iggy

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 08:35:16 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 07:41:06 pm by Iggy »

Offline slimbimale

• Tested Oct 21 1994 ( A New Life Begins )
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 02:55:25 am »
Hi and welcome .....your among family  ;D
Let Go and Let GOD

Offline Cliff

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 01:59:47 pm »
Hi Loshan,

Welcome to the forums!

Cliff

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 03:53:54 pm »
Hi Loshan

Welcome to the family.

I live in a rural part of NZ..but it's big compared to where you live, we have 750 in our community... ;) my ID Doc is a two hour drive (one way) from me but we do what we have to do, getting to an ID Doc is crucial to our health and treatment.
I have had a few scary trips in the snow but have never had to use my chains yet..so you drive careful and keep us up dated on what's happening with you and your doc..it good to hear from you...you will get all the support and help you need here so don't be afraid to ask questions there will always be someone here who will give you the answers you are looking for.

Take care and i hope you stay around.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline loshan

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 11:55:30 pm »
Thank You All for your welcome. I got back WAYYY late last night so I didn't even check here til now.

BTW...I am in Northeastern Washington State 110 miles north of Spokane.
The doc put me on Atripla (as expected) and I took the first one last night.
Nothing out of the ordinary yet except being sleepy today, I'll see how it goes tonight.

I am fairly educated on all this......(some background coming up) in a most unusual way. I was a lesbian (never even thought bisexual) all my life til about 5 years ago when I fell in love with (gasp) a MAN!!!! I moved up here from Texas four years ago. I lost countless friends as well as both my ex "wife's" brothers to AIDS in the 80s.

The boyfriend (can't get married, would mess up his benefits) has been positive since 1992 and my status came about as the result of a condom break summer 2005. He has tortured himself enough though....I knew the risk and was willing to take it.

What I didn't expect was having to go on meds so soon. Although I should have.....I remember vividly how fast people used to get sick and and be gone. I think the average from diagnosis was two years?

Anyway, thanks again for the warm welcome.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.