Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:06:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 217
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 159257 times)

Offline Salteen

Re: Smokers
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2007, 02:10:05 pm »
I have tried it here and there a while ago.  However, I do not smoke, guess I am against the odds once again ahaha.

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2007, 02:17:33 pm »

Attention smokers:

Consider this. Imagine someone on the sidewalk picked their nose and flung their snot on you. For us non-smokers, it's the same thing getting stuck next to you in public.

(I will now recede in peace...)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2007, 02:19:42 pm »
Attention smokers:

Consider this. Imagine someone on the sidewalk picked their nose and flung their snot on you. For us non-smokers, it's the same thing getting stuck next to you in public.

READ:  I will log on and make a nasty comment, then duck out before rebuttal.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2007, 02:42:38 pm »
Well, we were all "reckless" in obtaining this disease so it's hardly surprising that it's a theme that runs through some lives.  For one, I cut out doing hardcore drugs (and no, I was never an addict... just parting with ecstasy, ketamine, etc.... no heroin or meth (ick!) and I guit all of that after diagnosis in '93 -- though I did indulge again slightly for 2 years around '99.  Haven't touched any of that crap in 5 years.  I also RARELY drink at all.  I think the last time I got drunk was in 2.5 years ago though I will have a glass of wine in a restaurant.

I quit smoking when diagnosed for 2 years and then started up again.  My doctor said that, while not good for me, drugs and booze were worse.  Then again at the time life expectancy was shorter and I saw no reason to be a monk.  I also would get bronchitis yearly which sucks in a smoker, so I underwent hypnosis around '00 and quit for 2 years.  Then I went though an EXCRUTIATING legal situal for 2 years and smoked again.  I've now cut down to about 7 cigarettes/day in the last 2 years and only smoke 3/4 of each cigarette.  I met with a cessation coordinator at my monthly long-term survivor support group just last night who is doing PHD research on smoking in HIV populations so I may do something with her in this study.

My smoking is quite minimal at this point so I guess it won't be that big a leap to finally quit, though it will be my 2nd or 3rd time.  If I quit can I still enjoy a cigar -- you know you don't inhale.  Enjoy the aroma.

Anyway, it's nonsense that smoking causes HIV.  Defies logic.

As far as non-smokers being offended by smokers I'm personally more offended by grossly obese people on the street.  Why MUST I be subjected to them?  And really, which is more unhealthy?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2007, 02:45:28 pm »
Quote from: carousel
Smoking does seem to be more prevalent with the Gays.

Oh please... it used to be that I saw people smoking in GROCERY STORES while shopping in North Carolina.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2007, 02:46:59 pm »
Well, we were all "reckless" in obtaining this disease so it's hardly surprising that it's a theme that runs through some lives.

well i was reckless but not ALL of us were - i do believe we have a new member who has had hiv since birth  :-\

i would just replace "all" with "many of us"

you get the idea

anyway - it sounds like you're a hop skip & jump away from returning to non-smoker status  - best of luck amigo

SMOKERS & NON SMOKERS PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THIS 30 SECOND EDUCATIONAL CLIP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vec6SI6hGkY

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 02:56:01 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2007, 02:53:21 pm »
And really, which is more unhealthy?

My dear philly-

how could you ask such a question?  People who smoke subject others to their habit - second hand smoke - which is much more dangerous than someone choosing to kill themselves by becoming grotesquely obese.

hrm.

-joseph

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2007, 03:07:59 pm »
This sounds just like what is said about HIV and AIDS. I don't want them in my school, my kids my catch it. I don't want them playing with my kids, they may get cut and my kids may get it. I don't want my child drinking after them they may get it. I don't want them using the toilet as my kids do. This is what I think about second hand smoke. If you don't like the smoke don't go into, bars, bowling alleys, restaurants, don't ride in a car or visit someones home that smokes.

Offline rick21007

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2007, 03:14:26 pm »
Attention smokers:

Ah!  We have been joined by the truly righteous among us!  (takes hat off and bows down.)  

Rick  (pardon the sarcasm, but you are assuming  here that I am the jerk who is  going to be inconsiderate enough to subject you to my second-hand smoke, are you not?)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2007, 03:16:37 pm »
I also am skeptical about just how dangerous second smoke would be to someone just passing by it on the street.  Bowling alleys and bars, perhaps...but just casually and briefly happening by a whiff of second hand smoke?  I don't know about that.  We are already routinely breathing in a lot of environmental toxins during our day to day existence.  I question whether the occasional 'passing by on the sidewalk' breaths would pose such a significant danger.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline rick21007

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2007, 03:17:09 pm »
Sorry about the format error in the previous post.  Only first paragraph was the quote.  Don't blame ChaplinGuy for my sarcasm.   Rick

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2007, 03:25:18 pm »
More importantly....is it okay for smokers to bareback?

Or is it bareback smokers?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:34:03 pm by Dachshund »

Offline rick21007

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2007, 03:32:22 pm »
Does this mean you're gonna die soon? :)

I think this would be a case of using a double positive. LOL

-joseph
(who has never smoked)

I do have too much to live for---gotta make some choices and narrow it down. Think smoking oughta go first or barebacking????

Rick

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2007, 03:33:43 pm »
Smoking.  You'll have the lung capacity to bareback much longer.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2007, 03:34:25 pm »
This is what I think about second hand smoke. If you don't like the smoke don't go into, bars, bowling alleys, restaurants, don't ride in a car or visit someones home that smokes.

RapidRod-

As a child, growing up with two adult chain smokers, I didn't have a choice but to breathe second hand smoke.  I hated going to school and having my clothes reek of cigarette smoke - and the kids teasing me.  Perhaps this is the reason, most, I have never picked up the habit.

And, though to some degree we can all change our environments to fit our likes/dislikes (the above situation excluded), we all share the same air - especially in enclosed unventillated enivonments.  I don't give a flying shit (thank you, Courtney Love and School House Rocks for the Expletives), if you choose to breathe polluted air, but you can damn well bet I'm going to assert my rights to not be subjected to something that I choose not to do.

By the way, one of the best things about California is that save a car, home, hotel room, or outside environment, I needn't worry about being subjected to smoke in any of the places you referenced.  

California is a GREAT Country!

:)

-joseph
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:37:45 pm by Strayboy74 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2007, 03:43:02 pm »
My dear philly-

how could you ask such a question?  People who smoke subject others to their habit - second hand smoke - which is much more dangerous than someone choosing to kill themselves by becoming grotesquely obese.

hrm.

-joseph
WHATEVER... I smoke out my window and rarely smoke around other.  Don't lecture to me you little fist fucking pig! :)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2007, 03:45:38 pm »
Yeah, I wonder how many of these holy roller non-smokers are out at the bath house spreading demon seed nightly.

Offline rick21007

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2007, 03:48:14 pm »
Joseph---I gotta say as a smoker I have no argument with what you are saying.  It just irks me though when people assume I am going to be inconsiderate enough to subject them to my 2nd hand smoke.  I dont do it in my own home. Just feels like another kind of pre-judgment.  I admire you folks who don't smoke.  I am just not therer yet.  (I used to admire straight guys too--I never did get there despite my most vallant efforts to be what was socially acceptable to my family and others who mattered in my life, sigh!!)

Hunter---Only problem for me is that I was planning on using the gum to quit smoking but I cant bareback and chew gum at the same time.  A real dilemma!

Rick

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2007, 03:55:29 pm »
Quote from: Strayboy74
snip

Well... guess we won't be getting married next week.  Pity.

Seriously though... I fully understand.  I hate ciggie smells on my Alexander McQueen but I digress.  I *HATE* chain smokers -- SO WHITE TRASH!  I'm more of a glamor smoker!  REALLY... reminds me of starlets of yore.

I will quit soon... honestly.  At my ripe age of 38 *cough* 41 it's not so fetching any longer.  Tastes fab with a Makers Mark Old Fashioned though.

I'm hoping one day that I can get so I just have one cigarette per week... you know, after a really nice dinner.  Guess that's where the cigar will come in, plus they're expensive and I'm just a classy sort of gal.

PS:  I just smoked a cigarette (out the window!!!)  I hate for my apartment to reek of cigarettes!

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2007, 03:56:22 pm »
Don't lecture to me you little fist fucking, three-toed-toothless transexual faggot pig! :)

THAT HURT! :) LOL

God bless those expletives!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not lecturing people on what they should or shouldn't do.  I'm just glad that the choice has been removed politically for me in this state.  It makes things easier. :)

I don't care if people smoke.  I just choose not to... (the only way I've ever done pot is with brownies)

:)

I'm not passing judgement... believe me... I got HIV from getting fucked up the ass after being repeatedly told that without a condom I'd get it.  My fault? yeah.  Fuck it!

-joseph

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:58:45 pm by Strayboy74 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2007, 03:59:25 pm »
Oh... and I don't smoke pot.  Makes me anti-social and paranoid, but if I must I insist on using a bong.  I think joints (no filter you know) are much more harsh on one's lungs.

I'd rather have a percocet.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2007, 04:06:02 pm »
I started smoking in my late 20's after my last child was born..I have no idea why I just did, back then it was no big deal anyway.

I stopped in 2000 when I turned 54,  friends thought after my diagnosis in 2002 the stress would start me back again..it didn't, but in 2003 I started back again...again no excuses, just did.

My husband has never smoked and I have never smoked in front to him, or my kids when they were young and certainly not in front of my grand children.. I don't smoke in the house at all, I go down to one of the sheds when I want to smoke or out in the back porch when the grand kids are in bed.

Chaplinguy  I can understand a nonsmoker finding it hard to understand a smoker..but I say everyone to their own...those of us who enjoy a smoke don't run around telling you nonsmokers how disgusting we think you are because you don't smoke..so please don't do it to those of us who do...it's a choice we make..I made mine.

BTW...I think pacif smokers should buy their own anyway...just sayin'.. ;)

To all those who are thinking of giving up or have already started I wish you the best and hope you are doing it for YOU and not for those who are nagging you into it.

Hugs
Jan :-*
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:09:52 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2007, 04:11:28 pm »

I *HATE* chain smokers -- SO WHITE TRASH!  

LMAO...  I don't chain smoke.  I always make sure one is completely out before I light the next one.  Not a chain if I break a link ;)

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2007, 04:26:20 pm »
Where's Jack?

Pelosi bans smoking near House floor

By ERICA WERNER, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 20 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Smokers may be one minority in Congress with even fewer rights than newly demoted Republicans. Now they're losing one of their last, cherished prerogatives — a smoke break in the ornate Speaker's Lobby just off the House floor.

New House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., announced a ban Wednesday, effective immediately.

"The days of smoke-filled rooms in the United States Capitol are over," Pelosi said. "Medical science has unquestionably established the dangerous effects of secondhand smoke, including an increased risk of cancer and respiratory diseases. I am a firm believer that Congress should lead by example."

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2007, 04:29:35 pm »
Where's Jack?

The United States will be such a wonderful place, when California takes it over!

LOL

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2007, 04:40:55 pm »
When I so many stories about people who want to quit who can't I'm so happy I never started. I'm not sure what it is about me that growing up I never succumb to peer pressure. I suspect my resistance to peer pressure has to do being an incredibly introverted person. I grew up in the mountains of NC and cigarettes, skoal and chewing tobacco were everywhere. All the jocks chewed tobacco. Then when I went to college and came out it was the same with alcohol, marijuana and cocaine... all the cool people did it, all the "A" gays did it. I still get pressured by people to drink alcohol: try this wine... you won't even taste the alcohol in this mixed drink... why don't you drink, are you religious or something? Now I find out that these guys at the gym who have awesome physiques are on steroids.

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2007, 05:03:34 pm »
Now I find out that these guys at the gym who have awesome physiques are on steroids.

Disheartening, isn't it?   I don't do it because I believe that the rewards of hard work are longer lasting.

-joseph

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2007, 05:08:48 pm »
*sigh*

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2007, 05:38:46 pm »
Attention smokers:

You know, I asked my grandmother (who smoked like a chimney until the 1960s) if people bitched, whined, pissed and moaned about cigarette smoke then like they do now.

She said they didn't... except for complaints about clothes smelling smoky in bars, no one minded. 

Me, I smoke.  Like a chimney.  And if people wanna stay away from me because of it... that's cool. 

They might be killing me, but they're keeping me from killing you.  Remember that, people. 

Edited to Say: I actually like smoking, too.  I really don't want to quit.  I suppose I might want to at some point... but I just like the act of smoking. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 05:40:30 pm by aupointillimite »
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2007, 05:47:06 pm »
Studies have shown that quitting smoking is much more difficult than quitting heroin.

Just sayin...

Ann

It is.  I tried to quit smoking once to see if I could do it.

Nope.  I just decided to like it.

Quitting heroin?  Cakewalk by comparison.  Of course, I wasn't a hardcore junkie... but I was into heroin pretty damn deep.

But I can attest that those studies know what they're talking about.

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2007, 05:53:05 pm »
i been smoking since i was 12. love it! but sadly my boyfriend does not and after about a year of my HIV diagnosis i quit. i used nicotine replacement. actually i never stoped. i use the gum at first but found the new cherry flavored Commit lozenge the best! i'm down to a few of the 2mg pieces  a day. i know i am still addicted to the nicotine but at this rate i dont care. it's much lower than i would consume if i were smoking.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2007, 05:54:48 pm »
All this talking about it is making me wanna smoke.

Mmmm... nummy Camel treat!

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2007, 05:57:56 pm »
Of course, I wasn't a hardcore junkie...

You're only a hard-core junkie if you make, "I can't believe I'm not a Junkie" armbands out of the tops of your tube socks to hide the track marks.

::)

-joseph

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2007, 06:00:27 pm »
It is.  I tried to quit smoking once to see if I could do it.

Nope.  I just decided to like it.

Quitting heroin?  Cakewalk by comparison.  Of course, I wasn't a hardcore junkie... but I was into heroin pretty damn deep.

But I can attest that those studies know what they're talking about.

Of course, it might be a great deal harder to quit heroin if it was easily purchased in the checkout line of your local grocery store.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2007, 06:02:07 pm »
Oh yeah.

That makes a huge difference, actually.

You wouldn't think so... but man... if dope was available at the 7-11, I'd be the next Nico.     ;D

Offline Eldon

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2007, 06:27:10 pm »

Interesting. There was an e-mail from POZ today about this.

"What can I notice right now that makes me smile?"

Offline racingmind

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2007, 06:29:44 pm »
hmm damn we've got quite a volatile thread going on here....
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2007, 07:05:43 pm »
I'm waiting for the big boom to watch CA fall into the water.  :D I use to live in LA County and we had so much smog that it looked like you were in a bar. Cigarette smoke doesn't hurt my eyes half as much as smog does.

Offline bear60

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2007, 07:28:00 pm »
"Statistics 101: Correlation is not causation.

Because a higher percentage of people with HIV smoke doesn't mean smoking causes HIV or HIV causes smoking. It does mean there is some kind of relationship between people who smoke and people who have HIV if the originally quoted statistic is even valid. I'm curious as to the nature of that relationship."  Gymrat
Hey Thanks for the Statistics 101 lesson.. Really I have forgotten everything I learned in that course.!!!
If you want my opinion, the relationship is in the risk taking. ( We know smoking is bad for us....but do it cause it feels good....as does barebacking.) I will go further and say if you look at the profile of smokers....there might be some clues there.  Maybe.
Oh, and Tim, I had to learn to smoke also, when I went into the Peace Corps, because the people in the country where I was  used cigarettes as tokens of friendship and comraderie. Giving them....lighting up...etc.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2007, 07:47:17 pm »
I'm waiting for the big boom to watch CA fall into the water.  :D

And I'm prepared with my Shelley Winters routine! 

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
smoking impacts our immune systems
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2007, 07:51:40 pm »
I am not telling anyone here to quit, and certainly not how to do so. But remember. having two cancers is much worse than one. Moreover, there is no question smoking negatively impacts the immune system long before it kills someone off. It's not cocaine and it's not heroin. So we can quit with willpower alone. Other methods might make that easier, like hypnosis.  8) -megasept

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2007, 11:25:30 pm »
Not that anyone is really prosecuting here, but in my defence I'll say that I'm a very apologetic smoker. Anyone at the dinner table (if my friends and I are out at a restaurant that allows smoking), or the next dinner table for that matter, has the power of veto.

I've been smoking for half my life exactly, 17 years. Have tried to quit several times. But, as I wrote in a post recently, I associate cigarettes with drinks (cocktails, if that sounds better) and with writing. Since I don't see myself quitting either of those activities anytime soon, I doubt I'll give up my smoking.

I have cut back, though, from a pack a day to 5 or 6 a day. More out of "vanity" than anything else. Smoking is hell on the facial epidermis.  ::)

And echoing Tim's remarks (and other posters' as well) about depression, stress, and self-medicating.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2007, 11:34:25 pm »
Oh Lordy Joseph, now I have this image of you in chiffon!  :o EEEP!

Some interesting points here. One thing I would like to clear up, though. I didn't find myself living with the bug through reckless behavior.

Back in those days, what is now called barebacking wasn't considered reckless because we didn't know HIV existed. Ah, those were the days. I guess, technically, we could call them my reckless days of youth.

What we really need is some good sex education. Too many of those heterosexuals are still barebacking, judging from all the women i see getting ready to drop another one.

That said, wasn't it President, er, I mean Gov. Arnie of California who used to frequent the cigar bars of L.A.?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Bartro

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2007, 11:53:18 pm »
Posted without permission.

I look at my Virginia Slims Menthol Lights as my anti-alzheimers treatment.  I know they're kind of girlie, but so am I. Anyway, here is something I'm going to "cut and paste" without permission.  Very thought provoking.

"Does nicotine have beneficial effects in the treatment of certain diseases?Birtwistle J, Hall K.
University of Southampton, Department of Psychiatry, Royal South Hants Hospital.

Although tobacco smoking has long been associated with diseases of the lungs and cardiovascular system, numerous studies have demonstrated a negative association between tobacco smoking and ulcerative colitis, and the neurodegenerative diseases, Alzheimer's disease (AD) and Parkinson's disease (PD). The evidence suggests that nicotine--the main pharmacologically active ingredient of tobacco--appears to be responsible for this effect. Pure nicotine has no known carcinogenic properties and can be administered in numerous ways including transdermal patches and tablets. As a therapeutic agent, its association with tobacco can be likened to morphine and opium smoking. There is ample clinical evidence to suggest that nicotine could be beneficial in the treatment of some patients with diseases. Pharmacologically, nicotine acts on cholinergic (nicotinic-specific) receptors which are depleted in AD and PD. Nicotinic receptors also interact closely with several neurotransmitters including dopamine, which is implicated in both PD and Gilles de la Tourettes's syndrome. There is no doubt that tobacco smoking can be harmful and no-one should be encouraged to smoke. However, although nicotine has many harmful side-effects, it may have therapeutic value or at the very least be a useful tool for future drug development."

source:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=9006184&dopt=Citation

Rusty

Offline texasguy

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2007, 11:57:29 pm »
Like Joseph, I had two smoking parents, and as a kid always hated it.  I've never had a cigarette in my life.  When I was younger and pressured to take a "social toke" on a joint to "fit in", I wouldn't even do that.  So began my long history of someone who didn't quite fit in.  But I digress.  Interestingly though, just about all my gay friends smoke.  I'm talking 90% of them.  I've learned to cope with that socially because I had to.  But I will have to admit, whether it be a trick for the night, a boyfriend, or a lover; smoking is a deal breaker for me.  Not gonna happen.  Not in my bed, my house, or my car.  That's just me.  Just sayin'........

8/12/2008    102        402      26.8
                    VL         CD4     CD4%
7/11/2008   Started Atripla and Lisinopril for high blood pressure
6/8     654000(?) 347     20.4
5/08   42100       287      20.5
11/07 52930       438     27.3
5/07   48800       356     22.2
2/07   89000       316     23.2
7/06   51700       459     25.3
2/06   346000     386     20.3
           VL          CD4     CD4%
Poz Antibody Test January 2006
Seroconversion December 2005
Exposure November 2005

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2007, 12:06:53 am »
Smoking as a deal-breaker: my mind jumped immediately to Sex and the City, season three. Carrie meets Aidan, for whom her smoking is a deal-breaker. She quits for him. Over the next season, her smoking behind his back becomes an allegory for her cheating with Mr. Big.

Sorry folks, I have a problem besides smoking: I don't see things as real unless I can relate them to a novel, a story, a poem, a song, a TV show... Very hard to quit that habit; been trying for years.

And, oh dear yes, the humiliation of a cute guy not wanting to kiss me because of my smoker's breath. (I brushed my teeth; like I said, very apolegetic smoker.)
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline texasguy

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2007, 12:20:30 am »
Well Jay, when I say a deal breaker, I would never be so rude as to tell someone directly that's why I'm not interested.  I would probably just excuse myself, saunter back to my fave bartender, and down another Vodka and diet Seven-UP cocktail.  Which, I might add, I have heard is a deal breaker for other people.  Although I'm not sure if they are talking about my penchant for good Vodka with a diet mixer, or the fact of how many I tend to have at one sitting.  Again I digress, not thread hijacking here....back to smoking.... :)
8/12/2008    102        402      26.8
                    VL         CD4     CD4%
7/11/2008   Started Atripla and Lisinopril for high blood pressure
6/8     654000(?) 347     20.4
5/08   42100       287      20.5
11/07 52930       438     27.3
5/07   48800       356     22.2
2/07   89000       316     23.2
7/06   51700       459     25.3
2/06   346000     386     20.3
           VL          CD4     CD4%
Poz Antibody Test January 2006
Seroconversion December 2005
Exposure November 2005

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2007, 01:05:37 am »
I hate cigarrette smoke!  Yes, I smoked many cigs at an early age and thank the Gods often that I quit early on.  I moved from Phillip Morris country, Virginia, to smoke-free country, California, and love most of their anti-smoking efforts.  Actually, I could not care less what one does to ones own body, but only as long as I don't have to breath it or smell it.  I thought the "anti-smoking Nazis" out here had probably gone too far when they started banning smoking on all of the beaches, but then I realized I'd overlooked one aspect of smoking that drives me crazy - one of my biggest pet-peeves... YOUR FREAKING NASTY CIGARRETTE BUTTS!!!!!  For those of you who treat the world as your ash tray you deserve all of the ill contempt that society can dish out to you!  You're littering - plain and simple!  Eat the damn things, stick them up your ass, but DON'T toss them about like they're invisible.

That said, and I can come down from my soap-box now, I can understand why anyone who's stressed out, HIV+ or otherwise, would smoke to calm themselves.  We all have our "medications", if you will.  More power to you if that's your choice.

Oh, and to folks who attempt to use the tax revenue of cigs to justify their "good" to our economy - REALLY!?!?  That "good" is easily whiped out each year by the cost to our healthcare system - please think before you make such statements!
;0

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2007, 01:34:29 am »
Of course, it might be a great deal harder to quit heroin if it was easily purchased in the checkout line of your local grocery store.

You've obviously not been to North Philly

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2007, 01:43:00 am »
Quote from: stevevaboy
Oh, and to folks who attempt to use the tax revenue of cigs to justify their "good" to our economy - REALLY!?!?  That "good" is easily whiped out each year by the cost to our healthcare system - please think before you make such statements!

Are you obese?  I'd say that's just as bad.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.