Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:38:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 692
Total: 693

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: was i at risk?? i am a bit worried  (Read 6019 times)

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
was i at risk?? i am a bit worried
« on: November 16, 2013, 07:45:54 pm »
i have a couple of questions and i have been worrying about this ever since, a month ago i had an encounter with a man after a couple of drinks at the bar, he performed unprotected oral sex on me, fingered and licked my anus and i think he hay have rubbed his penis against my anus, he claimed to be hiv neg but i don't believe him, i mean people lie about that all the time right? at 4 weeks i had a test where they drew blood from my arm and it came back negative, from this exposure, was i at risk for hiv? and how conclusive is a blood test done at 4 weeks after this risk? and finally, would you guys recommend going back to test again at 3 months? appreciate the help :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: was i at risk?? i am a bit worried
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 07:51:29 pm »
Clover, you are worrying needlessly. Getting oral is one of the most common of sexual activities. There's no risk no matter what the details. It's safe to say you will not make history by becoming the first guy to get infected that way. Rubbing? Also not a risk.

There's no need for testing. Get on with your life and just remember to always use a condom for anal (and vaginal) intercourse. Those are the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV. 
Andy Velez

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 07:56:20 pm »
Clover, you are worrying needlessly. Getting oral is one of the most common of sexual activities. There's no risk no matter what the details. It's safe to say you will not make history by becoming the first guy to get infected that way. Rubbing? Also not a risk.

There's no need for testing. Get on with your life and just remember to always use a condom for anal (and vaginal) intercourse. Those are the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV. 
forgot to add that i am a man as well, but i guess that doesn't change anything right? i freaked out a little because the lady that did the test on me said that it was still a risk, so a 4 week neg test for this type of "risk" if you can call it that, conclusive??
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:59:56 pm by clover1987578 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 07:59:54 pm »
The "lady" was wrong. Period. You did not have any risk and there is no need for further testing. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 08:06:05 pm »
thank you so much andy

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 03:30:52 pm »
You're welcome, Clover. ...On with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 10:00:48 am »
A couple of hours ago I had an encounter with an older man which I do not know the status at a gay sauna. I was a little drunk but still conscious enough to know what was happening. He tells me to go to his room and he starts fondling me. Then he tells me to lay on my back on the bed and he starts fingering my anus. It hurts a little, then I feel my anus getting wet so I stand up and ask him what is he doing and I noticed that he is not fingering my anus but instead holding a syringe WITHOUT a needle and says he is trying to squirt crystal with water up my anus. He asks if I feel the high which I answer no I don’t feel anything and immediately walk away to the shower and start washing my anus thoroughly. I don’t know if he used the same syringe on him prior to using it on me and I don’t know how long he has had it but I noticed the syringe lying on his bed when I walked into his room. We stayed in his room for about half an hour. Assuming that he is hiv poz, was I at risk from this encounter? Can hiv survive in a syringe with crystal with water?? Should I start on pep right away?? Please help, I am really worried. The syringe had no needle.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 10:36:11 am »
Hiya,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and, its clear to me you are feeling distressed.  Look if he used it to squirt water in his own anus beforehand its not a HIV concern and, neither is the HIV in water so i'm not seeing anything that meets the conditions needed for HIV transmission from this incident.

Syringes as in directly sharing them for infecting drugs into the blood steam, are a risk as its blood stream to blood stream. I.e HIV is stored for a shot time in the hollow needle and chamber during drawback in what is a vacuum. This would not be the case in the scenario you are posting with the needle missing.   

My concern for you would not be HIV from what you detailed but with the question what he flushed into you ass. Also as you were drunk what happened that you did not notice and I am not normally one to express doubts my assessments are normally yes/no.  He claims its water & crystal but fuck knows what it was or the concentration so it might be a good idea to have yourself checked out by a doctor.   

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP in the future as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 10:48:42 am »
Thank you for the reply , I should mention that the “fingering” only lasted about ten seconds before I noticed and I didn’t really feel the liquid inside me but outside my anus. You think I should get checked out for other stds?? Or for what exactly??? So I shouldn’t start on pep??? Thank you again for your reply.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 11:14:56 am »
Okay relax and thank you for the clarification. Look the water was no HIV risk, neither is fingering. End of story really.

Any sexual contact comes with the risks for STI's that are easier to transmit than HIV like contact viruses or bacteria although you don't run out and test for them every time you have a sexual encounter and nothing you mentioned here changes that.

My concern is simply that you don't know for a fact what the fluid was, as in what chemicals. This combined with being under the influence I am saying it might be a good idea to have yourself checked out by a doctor.

See if you were drunk enough things can happened that you don't notice because you say:"
I was a little drunk but still conscious enough
" To me this does not add up because if your only a little drunk consciousness should not be effected or in question at all.  It sounds like you were prehaps more than a little drunk, now don't take me wrong I am not judging you at all. Just concerned with how impaired you might have been and if your recount of the situation missed anything.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 06:04:07 pm »
UPDATE: So I am here with the doctor and I explained my situation to him and he recommended that I should start on PEP. He's also doing a full STD check up. Now I am getting worried that I had a risk for HIV. He drew blood out and did a rapid test and it came out negative, but then again my risk was about 8 hours ago. Do you think I should worry about HIV from the encounter I described???

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 06:22:37 pm »
Hiya

I've already answered this, the water was not a HIV risk, neither is fingering. End of story. Nothing you described changes that.

My only HIV doubt is not the activities mentioned, but the indication that you were under the influence and from what i gather enough to for it somewhat to effect your consciousness. You say "still conscious enough" that simply raises red flags with me, again its not judgment about you, just honest concern.

Jim

My concern is simply that you don't know for a fact what the fluid was, as in what chemicals. This combined with being under the influence I am saying it might be a good idea to have yourself checked out by a doctor.

See if you were drunk enough things can happened that you don't notice
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:25:21 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 01:23:30 pm »
I should clarify that when I mean "still conscious", I mean that I remember everything that happened, there was no blackout or anything like that and I just felt buzzed and I  am 100% sure no other activities took place other than the ones I described, no penetration of any kind and no oral. I just laid down on the bed, then I felt him touching my anus and I thought he was just fingering me but then I realized he has trying to shove a syringe with NO needle on my anus  and was trying to flush what he said was crystal with water. That whole thing took about ten seconds and I immediately walked away, went to the showers to wash thoroughly and about 12 hours later I started on PEP. I know you already answered this but could there have been a risk of HIV from this incident??? What if there was some residue virus on the tip and it got in me when we shoved it and squirted it?? I am soo scared, The anxiety is killing me and I haven't been able to think straight these past couple of days.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 01:43:27 pm »
Hiya,

If what you have now clarified is true and, this was your only sexual encounter over the past 3 months than you have no HIV to worry about. - No anxiety required  :)

I should clarify that when I mean "still conscious", I mean that I remember everything that happened, there was no blackout or anything like that and I just felt buzzed and I  am 100% sure no other activities took place other than the ones I described, no penetration of any kind and no oral.

Look my doubt was (is) your statement "still conscious enough" If you are clarifying that there was no doubt whatsoever and you were 100% conscious so far more than just "enough" than there is nothing to worry about, I've already explained that the activities you posted simply are not HIV concerns. ;)

My only HIV doubt is not the activities mentioned, but the indication that you were under the influence and from what i gather enough to for it somewhat to effect your consciousness. You say "still conscious enough" that simply raises red flags with me, again its not judgment about you, just honest concern.

What if there was some residue virus on the tip and it got in me when we shoved it and squirted it??

Same as the fingering, I don't know where his finger had been or the tip of the object (or any objects on risk assessments here) however neither are a transmission concern. Its would not be infectious to start with or at infectouise levels. 

I am normally a very "Yes/No" with risk assessments it either is or is not a risk, however I gave you an extremely cautious risk assessment not because of the activities mentioned, they simply are not HIV risks. 

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 04:00:55 pm »
Thanks for the response Jim, I guess I just feel ashamed and guilty that I put myself in this situation when I should have known better. What made me scared even more was when I went to go see the doctor and explained my situation to him just like I explained it here, he looked concerned and recommended PEP 100%.Do you think his concerns are warranted?? I will continue taking the medication just to be on the safe side and plan on getting tested as soon as possible. I will update on any developments. Thank you so much for all your help

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 05:45:18 pm »
Hiya

You're welcome.

Look no shame required and I hope you understand my thoughts and comments are not judgment, just concern.

he looked concerned

Me too (Again not for HIV from the activities mentioned)

he looked concerned and recommended PEP 100%.Do you think his concerns are warranted?? I

The activities posted here are not HIV risks. End of story!
That is the limit of a good risk assessment.

My two cents on PEP are you have started PEP so continue the course.  I understand you had a scare from the unexpected situation and it's caused you to have concerns but try to relax

Best, Jim

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:48:32 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 08:55:38 pm »
UPDATE: So yesterday I went to go see an infection disease specialist (I think that's the name but it was a doctor) and all my STD tests came back negative. I also explained my situation to him and he also says my risk from getting HIV from this scenario is pretty low, he didn't say no risk just pretty low which helped me calm down. He said his only concern was what was the syringe being used for before but even that he says it's pretty low because when they talk about risk for syringes, they usually mean through IV. I also asked him if I should continue PEP and he said that was up to me and he said that he doesn't think I need it. Is this a good indicator that I don't have HIV???  :D

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 03:29:10 am »
Hiya,

As i said the activities posted here are not HIV risks, no PEP required and, i appreciate this incident was a scare to you but that does not create a risk. The syringe was not a HIV risk from this account.

I also asked him if I should continue PEP and he said that was up to me and he said that he doesn't think I need it. Is this a good indicator that I don't have HIV???

You don't have HIV from the activities posted. Taking PEP or not was always a choice up-to you, I have my doubts not over the activities posted though as i've explained and, my two cents on PEP are you have started PEP so continue the course but its ultimately your choice.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 02:02:31 pm »
Hello again,

First of all, I just want to say thank for all the work that you do in this forum and thank you for all the help that you have given me regarding my risk. Your words have helped me calm down every time my mind gets the better of me and I start to panic. I know you have already answered that the activities that I posted are not HIV risks and that I should not worry and I have really tried to move on, but my anxiety still keeps getting the better of me and I start to think about the worst case scenarios and what ifs. If you recall, I went to go see an infectious diseases specialist because the doctor that prescribed me the pep scheduled me to go. I explained my situation to him and he said the risk is pretty low because when they talk about syringes being a risk is sharing needles via IV which I did not do but that his concern was, what was the syringe used for before and that gets me thinking about the worst case scenario, what if the guy shot up using a needle and there was blood or other fluids that contain the virus and they got stuck on the tip of the syringe and that got washed into my anus when he shoved it and flushed the liquid??? I've read online that the virus can survive for a while inside a syringe and that makes me panic. What does that mean that the virus can "survive"???

I know you said I have no HIV to worry about from this incident but if you can possibly explain why it's not a risk?? It would really help my anxiety.

1.-Is the virus inactivated as soon as it leaves the body??

2.-Does air get inside through the hole on the tip of the syringe making the virus unable to infect? 

3.-Have you ever seen or heard of someone getting HIV from getting a syringe with no needle shoved up the back door and getting some unknown substance flushed??? I've read that the slang term is booty bumping, have you ever heard of someone getting infected through booty bumping??

I have searched everywhere for a case similar to mine and I can not find one at all, not even here and I refuse to think that I am the only one on the entire planet with this kind of risk. Please help, these past couple of days have been psychological torture for me. I wish one didn't have to wait so long to get tested and get a definitive answer.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 03:43:19 pm »
Hiya

I have read your thread and will come back to you shortly as I am in a call at the moment.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 04:37:28 pm »
Thank you for all your help Jim

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 04:50:10 pm »
Hiya

Firstly you are welcome.

Look i'll be honest I know you have threads running with other sites and although I will not go into details I do agree that you are letting fear get the better of you with these questions.

Look the reason why sharing syringes for IV drug use is a blood risk is it's directly injecting fresh quantity of blood (backwash) into the blood stream that has been short term stored in what is in essence a vacuum.  Its totally different when its juts the barrel, plunger, and tip as getting whatever into it is exposed and nothing on the tip it self is a concern either.  You seriously need to stop reading stuff online and taking it out of context to find a risk you did not have.

You're 3rd question is simply a no, as I have explained and many others HIV is not transmitted this way - hence no such cases. If there had been cases I would have been telling you about it.

Now I wish you well but I am not going to continue this endless questioning of doubts about the activities mentioned here, don't get me wrong I understand fully you had a scare however what you posted as activities as I have continuously said and as others have outlined to you are simply not HIV concerns.

Trust me when I say the below out of kindness.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum. 

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 05:22:49 pm »
I understand and thank you again for your help and all of your advice :) I had a really bad scare and that's what's causing all this anxiety as I tend to really overthink stuff in my life but you're right, I will try to move on.  At the end of this month, I will get tested since I have to see the specialist after I finish the PEP and also just for peace of mind. I hope I can come back then and update my situation.

Again many thanks and I wish you well.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 07:57:29 pm »
You're welcome
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline clover1987578

• Standard
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 04:00:49 pm »
Hello Jim, it's me again, I'm not gonna ask about my risk anymore, if you can call it that, because numerous people including a well respected doctor (yes I started a thread yet again on another website) have told me the same thing you have told me, that I had virtually no risk for HIV from my incident. However, I just can't shake off the anxiety and the what ifs start to consume me again. I am now on my last week of PEP and I have an appointment to meet with the doctor again on the 30th of this month for a follow up check up and testing. But I just want peace of mind so I am considering getting a 4th generation test sometime this week. It would be 3 weeks after my incident and 3 weeks into PEP. Would you say that if the results came back negative, would that be a good indicator that I am in the clear??? Would PEP affect the results of the test at all?? I finish PEP on the 26th and test on the 30th with the doctor  so it would be 4 days after I finish PEP. Would you recommend just wait or go and get tested on my own???

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 05:58:45 pm »
You know they will probably & rightly so shut down your threads there, if they have not done so already.

Anyhow your post was fantastic until you slipped in the word "however" that basically means your ignoring everything you have been told  ::)

Pretending for a moment that you had a risk, one that you failed to disclose here to answer your testing questions, its simple test 6 weeks post finishing PEP for a result, this result will rarely change and if you wish to confirm the result its a choice in that case test again at 3 months post PEP.

Please don't post about this again, I mean it as it will be a ban, instead go speak to a therapist to help you move past this instead of getting into the habit of pointless testing. 

Best, Jim

Hiya

Firstly you are welcome.

Look i'll be honest I know you have threads running with other sites and although I will not go into details I do agree that you are letting fear get the better of you with these questions.

Look the reason why sharing syringes for IV drug use is a blood risk is it's directly injecting fresh quantity of blood (backwash) into the blood stream that has been short term stored in what is in essence a vacuum.  Its totally different when its juts the barrel, plunger, and tip as getting whatever into it is exposed and nothing on the tip it self is a concern either.  You seriously need to stop reading stuff online and taking it out of context to find a risk you did not have.

You're 3rd question is simply a no, as I have explained and many others HIV is not transmitted this way - hence no such cases. If there had been cases I would have been telling you about it.

Now I wish you well but I am not going to continue this endless questioning of doubts about the activities mentioned here, don't get me wrong I understand fully you had a scare however what you posted as activities as I have continuously said and as others have outlined to you are simply not HIV concerns.

Trust me when I say the below out of kindness.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum. 

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:01:50 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.