Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:08:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 341
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I can't believe I'm going to do this...  (Read 8713 times)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
I can't believe I'm going to do this...
« on: July 14, 2007, 07:08:55 pm »
So, I've quit smoking.  Yes.  Two weeks of no smoking.  Go me.

When I quit, I told myself that I would let two weeks of healing happen until I began the next step in my "Be more healthy regimen" thing.

In the spirit of that... I... am... going... to... start... oh God... exercising.

Yeah.  Exercise. 

Me.

I have some sort of idea that the endorphins will provide a nice, mood-boosting alternative to nicotine... and I'm also rather tired of being indie-rock thin.  I've been rocking that look since 2004, and it's time for a change.

I plan on discussing this with my ID doc... I'm sure she'll be thrilled... but I have some questions and such.

And I was wondering if you cats had any advice for combining HIV and exercise.  I think it will help with stress... but is there anything I should concentrate on eating?  More protein is a must, I know.  But anything else?

Oh, and I plan on focusing on swimming (I went to Junior Olympics in swimming a number of years ago, so I know how to do this quite well), and probably some other aerobic activities with muscle building. 

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline RapidRod

Re: I can't believe I'm going to do this...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 08:07:35 pm »
Exercise? Isn't that a disease worse than having HIV? ;)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 08:17:55 pm »
Nice going, Benj. Metamorphism.
xxx,
Mike

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 08:35:58 pm »
Who are you and what have you done with our Benjamin?

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 08:36:23 pm »
Wow, you're undertaking a lot - esp the quitting smoking - it's a real bitch, but doable.  By not smoking you've done the single most important thing to preserve your health and help your HIV stay in check.
Before exercising have a power bar and a glass of OJ, so you don't slump.  I like to ride my road bike 15-20 miles (that's not so far really), lift weights, go to a weight lifting class (weights and music - I know so gay, but if the shoe fits...), and other exercise classes if I feel like it.  Do consider the class route - having someone direct the activity will ensure you get it done efficiently.  I'm glad you're over the indie rock thin look - it's been so done.  Young hot guy with trim, hard body - now there's a look I think you can pull off well.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 08:51:48 pm »
Who are you and what have you done with our Benjamin?

I'm almost 25.

25 is the age where you can't get away with it so much anymore.

I always swore that once I turned 25, all the smoking and boozing and drugging would cease, decrease dramatically... and decrease dramatically.  Respectively.  I'm trying to get a head start.

Anyway, I'm thinking that being healthy would be different for a change.  And if I'm going to hang around for decades pissing people off, it's not gonna be done on the backs of Camel cigarettes. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 09:05:08 pm »
I can't wait until you "get Jesus" on us next week.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 09:08:58 pm »

If he "gets Jesus", does that mean we get to crucify him too?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 09:42:30 pm »

I've had Jesus.  He's great.  He has HUGE wood.

~YPT

(Who is SO going to Hell for this post.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 09:54:58 pm »

Running is the best nicotine replacement drug there is.  It worked for me anyway.

If you've gone two weeks, you're home free.  The rest is all in your head.  I'll still occasionally have a cig, but they taste like shit and make me sick.  Then I always tell the cigarette, "Cigarette, we were once in love and it was beautiful, but I'm sorry honey...all things must pass." 

With the whole working out thing, just listen to your body.  You'll find where your limits are.  And expect to be sore all the time for a month or two...you'll learn to love it. :D 

GOOD WORK!

brian

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 10:13:08 pm »
Excellent move!! Next month, I celebrate 20 years off of cigs. Smoked 17 before. Quit at 2+ packs per day. ID doc said when he listens to my lungs he cannot detect I EVER smoked. Hang in. Every so often, a lit one will smell intoxicating, but most will stink. Inhale. Hold your breath for 30 seconds and the urge, if you have one, will pass. Tres bon!!!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 10:32:44 pm »

I've had Jesus.  He's great.  He has HUGE wood.

~YPT

(Who is SO going to Hell for this post.)

Something tells me that large cross marks the place along the highway where you lost your virginity.

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 10:40:58 pm »
Exercise it the best thing to keep you off cigarettes. When you're body needs more oxygen due to exercise, the last thing you'll want is to smoke...
The body was designed to move... 

Sorry no specific advice.

Keep moving what ever you do :)

Mauricio.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 11:01:24 pm »

Ew.

I very well might get Anton LaVay on you guys... but never Jesus.

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 11:09:16 pm »
LMAO
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 12:45:55 pm »
And I was wondering if you cats had any advice for combining HIV and exercise.  I think it will help with stress... but is there anything I should concentrate on eating?  More protein is a must, I know.  But anything else?

Oh, and I plan on focusing on swimming (I went to Junior Olympics in swimming a number of years ago, so I know how to do this quite well), and probably some other aerobic activities with muscle building. 

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I basically started doing the resistance machines two to three times a week and would intermix cardio/yoga and swimming.  I would do all my muscles groups (chest, back, shoulders, arms and lower) at once.  When that eventually stopped increasing muscle, I started doing weights more often but less per session by categorizing my muscles groups.  I would do back/bicepts one day, then chest/shoulders/tricepts the next and then lower.  By breaking it up, I could spend a little more time on each group and exercise them better.  The next phases was to get off the machines and do free weights.  I did spend a little on a personal trainer (which was crap) but mostly started paying attention to the people I knew were doing it right from what I could ascertain from the internet.  I've been in that mode for quite awhile now.

I've been pretty steady at the gym for about five years.  There's never going to be one right way to do it because you'll be building in phases all the time.  And then there is the need to keep it fresh and varied through classes to keep you going.  Honestly, my first suggestion would be to find a fun gym where you have some friends and a lot of cruising to keep you motivated.  Having classes really helps too for when you just want to be told what to do. 

Best of luck. 

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 01:43:59 pm »
Hey Benj....
GOOD FOR YOU!! Most people your age don't get futuristic in terms of health and fitness issues so your efforts are truly commendable.  The swimming is a great cardio regimen....it doesn't wack your legs like runniing will.  I don't have time to do the gym so I just do a basic routine every morning:  stretches followed by 150 squats and 100 push-ups.  Of course when I started this routine 3 years ago it was 10 squats and 20 push ups!  Whatever you do, start slow and work your way up! (kinda like good sex!)

Keep on keeping on!

Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline bear60

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 02:18:35 pm »
My My I am impressed.  This has to be some kind of miracle and I dont believe in miracles.  So, I guess Ben got the pants scared off him. Good luck Ben.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 03:33:12 pm »
My My I am impressed.  This has to be some kind of miracle and I dont believe in miracles.  So, I guess Ben got the pants scared off him. Good luck Ben.

I'm full of surprises.   ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 04:33:04 pm »
so you're only doing this because of "teh boils"?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 05:17:54 pm »
so you're only doing this because of "teh boils"?

Well, I'm not so stupid as to think that recurring staph infections are signs of a flawlessly functioning immune system.  I'm already prone to wretched skin infections anyway, and if the first sign of immuno-suppression for me is incredibly disfiguring, unbelievably painful boils and abscesses on my face that keep me out of work and socializing for over a week at a time... well, I'm going to do what I can to prevent that from ever happening again. 

This is twice in two months now... and Benjamin is a smidgen tired of it.   

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 05:39:58 pm »
Well, did you doctor indicate this or is it more of a case of "in the wrong place at the wrong time"?  I was not aware your numbers were so low.  Maybe I missed something.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 05:48:47 pm »
Well, did you doctor indicate this or is it more of a case of "in the wrong place at the wrong time"?  I was not aware your numbers were so low.  Maybe I missed something.

They're not particularly low... but they're not that great.  The staphies seem to pop up in moments of stress... and I'd like to remove some of the behaviors that haven't been really helpful in dealing with stress lately.

If you think I'm cutting everything bad out completely... no.  I'm not someone who can abstain completely... nor would I want to.  But I'm talking about cutting back by like 98%.  Except in smoking... that's gotta go.  I can't do that socially. 

Offline bear60

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 06:06:43 pm »
I agree.....socially...its not cool to smoke anymore.  Thats why I quit.  Well, that and the fact that my doctor told me that after 40 years of smoking I had early stage emphysema and would end up tethered to an oxygen tank. 
I quit the day that the city of philadelphia banned smoking in bars. Now its just pathetic to see the people outside the clubs who have to smoke .....wind and rain, summer or winter. And teh butts are really annoying. They stick to your shoes.
Ben Its a very mature decision and I hope you stick with it. Have your friends given up smoking?  Mine...at least those still alive...all did.  So being the ONLY smoker in the room was definitely a problem.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 06:16:03 pm »
I agree.....socially...its not cool to smoke anymore.  Thats why I quit.  Well, that and the fact that my doctor told me that after 40 years of smoking I had early stage emphysema and would end up tethered to an oxygen tank. 
I quit the day that the city of philadelphia banned smoking in bars. Now its just pathetic to see the people outside the clubs who have to smoke .....wind and rain, summer or winter. And teh butts are really annoying. They stick to your shoes.
Ben Its a very mature decision and I hope you stick with it. Have your friends given up smoking?  Mine...at least those still alive...all did.  So being the ONLY smoker in the room was definitely a problem.

Hmm... a couple of my friends have quit.  All of my close friends still smoke... but they're being very, very nice about me quitting.  They've cut back on smoking in front of me... I've enthused about the money I've been saving but haven't nagged them into quitting.  Because that's fucking annoying. 

Yeah, all the bans (bills to ban smoking in public places here in Virginia have all failed thus far, but just barely... which is saying something about the popularity of the bans) have urged me to quit... as has the ever-increasing expense.  I started smoking in 1999, and it was about $2.00 a pack here then... now, it's about $3.75.  That's sort of ridiculous... so I've quit.

I feel better already... can taste better and stuff.  It's nice. 

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 07:13:25 pm »
Hey Benj,

You will thank yourself for this decision. I quit six months ago after smoking for 34 years. (Love that Chantix).

Anyway, you will feel better, look younger longer, smell better, be better in bed (more stamina, you know) and discover there are smells in the world you had totally forgotten about - some of them good.

Keep up the good work!

HUGS,

Mark

(Speaking of Anton LeVay)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 07:49:47 pm »
Benj, try yoga if you get the opportunity.  I did it for the first time yesterday.  The hour passed quickly, it only hurt a few times, and my IBS behaved itself all day long.  The way I'm sore today, I think that maybe you can build muscle and maintain flexibilityif you do it regularly.  But not the next day!

Offline bear60

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 01:27:37 pm »
Hows it going Ben?
quote you" I started smoking in 1999, and it was about $2.00 a pack here then... now, it's about $3.75.  That's sort of ridiculous... so I've quit."  Gosh a pack of cigarettes only cost a quarter when I started smoking. But I have accepted the need to quit as well as save money.

Basquo has a good suggestion with the yoga. There is also an acupuncture treatment to help you stop. I know that acupuncture has helped me feel better.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 02:59:16 pm »
A dr. friend of mine swears by chantrix. He claims he has had several long time smokers who after just 4-8 weeks have no desire to smoke anymore. Almost makes me want to start again. I quit over ten years ago and I still dream about them

Offline northernguy

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 07:46:30 pm »
There was a recent health ad campaign here that stated 50% of people in our hospitals today were there for some smoking related reason.  That seemed high to me but perhaps it took into account those who weren't healing quickly due to smoking etc.

I still look back in amazement that people ever were allowed to smoke in bars, restaurants, planes etc.  As a non-smoker I remember waking up after a night of partying and smelling the smoke on your pillow, and in your hair when you started to shower - yuck!   Now there's a move afoot here to ban smoking on outdoor patios and even beaches, we'll see if it goes ahead.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 08:29:48 pm »
Benj, try yoga if you get the opportunity.  I did it for the first time yesterday.  The hour passed quickly, it only hurt a few times, and my IBS behaved itself all day long.  The way I'm sore today, I think that maybe you can build muscle and maintain flexibilityif you do it regularly.  But not the next day!

Thanks for the idea!  I should do that...

I joined the Y here... mostly because of the pool. I love to swim... but they offer yoga classes and stuff... so I think that might be something cool to try.

I went exercising for the first time today.  I feel all endorphiny and oxygen-filled.  Needless to say, I feel nice. 

It's sort of like cocaine... except it seems to last much longer and I don't feel cracked out.  Interesting.  And this is supposed to keep me thin too.  Hmm.

There are many, many attractive homosexual men who work out there as well. 

This is a definite plus. 

Why no one told me about this earlier is beyond me.   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.