Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:21:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 225
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: More vehicle repairs  (Read 5598 times)

Offline wolfter

More vehicle repairs
« on: February 10, 2013, 03:55:40 pm »
Some of you all might remember that I had to rebuild my nephews car last year after he wrecked it.  My sister had recently purchased it for him and was upset that he was texting when he wrecked.

I got a call in the middle of the night to pick my sister up after she swerved to miss a deer.  I assumed it was minimal damage since it was in an area known for droves of deer.

Well, looks like I'm gonna be rebuilding another vehicle after she swerved right into a tree to avoid a deer.  Had she not had a couple of drinks, she would have hit the deer straight on instead of swerving.  She has recently purchased a small commuter car since she drives 80 miles round trip to work and dropped the full coverage on her truck.  Wrong time for that!!!!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:58:07 pm by wolfter »
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: More vehicle repairs
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:08:51 pm »
 :o Yikes...

Do you really think you can repair that?  It looks totaled out to me, with major frame damage. Do you have access to frame straightening equipment? Would repair costs be more than the vehicle is worth ?

Good luck with that !  HHmmm,... I don't know !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 05:31:31 pm »
i agree with ray.
it looks like it's gone. :(
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 05:40:31 pm »
It'll never be a show truck again, but I'll be able to make it functional.  Such a shame as she bought this truck new and always babied it.  We have all the equipment needed to straighten any frame damage. 

She knows it'll be at least a couple of months before I can do the repairs, but she'll go ahead and dismantle it.  I think she's lucky she was driving the big Ram instead of that little matchbox Chrysler she bought.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 05:45:42 pm »
It'll never be a show truck again, but I'll be able to make it functional.  Such a shame as she bought this truck new and always babied it.  We have all the equipment needed to straighten any frame damage. 

She knows it'll be at least a couple of months before I can do the repairs, but she'll go ahead and dismantle it.  I think she's lucky she was driving the big Ram instead of that little matchbox Chrysler she bought.
my, my...
a seamstress/ mechanic/ autobody girl!
impressive! :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:10 pm »
I was thinking it looked gone.  If you can make that look good again, and run, then my hat will be off to you.  Post pics of the progress.  Glad no one was hurt. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 08:51:31 am »
We're having it towed to her house today and will have a better look.  I was gonna provide the link for my nephew's car that we rebuilt but the pictures are missing?  We can find the front clip for under $500 and the rest of it will be labor. 

If nothing else, it can be used as a farm truck.   Which is funny since it has only hauled a few things in its life.  We all have trucks but only use a couple of the older ones for the purpose they were intended.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:12:57 am »
did it have a gun rack?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:11:04 am »
did it have a gun rack?

Gun racks are so 80's.  I'd never leave a gun displayed in my truck any longer.  Since I've had my truck forever, it still has a gun rack.  Even in highschool, most of us had shotguns properly hanging above our heads.  It'd probably get ya in trouble these days.

Offline weasel

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:27:02 am »

OMG !   

I am so glad she is ALIVE !!!!!

I have always been told to hit the deer !

Thank GOD I had no response  time when I hit a Buck , my  "Cow Push Bar "
  saved it from going up the hood , But it did smash the side in before I ran it over !

I really hope you can fix it , Mine goes into the shop as soon as Bob's
 truck is fixed  ;)

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:31:20 am »
That Truck looks pretty totaled to me ??? might be better to just sell it off and part it out  :o

good thing nobody was hurt, that almost looks like a head-on-fatal to me  :(

HUGS

DEN  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 11:37:01 am »
I'm thinking that since the airbags didn't deploy, that the crumple points did their jobs.  It'll be at the house in a couple of hours where I can do a more thorough analysis. 

Again, had she not had a couple of beers thinking it was safe to drive home since it was all back roads, this wouldn't have happened.  She hit a deer in the same exact spot last year and only did minimal damage as she didn't swerve and hit it square on.

And when she swerved, she went down a ravine and hit the tree square on instead
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:38:40 am by wolfter »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 12:09:57 pm »
Sounds like she needs that drinking and driving talk.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 08:48:24 pm »

Naw, I think the Confederate flag came loose and got wrapped around her head.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 03:52:17 am »

I was wondering how she managed to not have to get bailed out of the local drunk tank. That's what would have happened in my neck of the woods. I guess you can get away with far more in them thar rolling pre-Appalachian hills of southern OH.

That's OH as in OH DEER! ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 10:34:15 am »

Perhaps you need another history lesson as I've never seen a Confederate flag displayed here or in our parts of WVA.  We succeeded from Virginia for a reason. ;)

I was wondering how she managed to not have to get bailed out of the local drunk tank. That's what would have happened in my neck of the woods. I guess you can get away with far more in them thar rolling pre-Appalachian hills of southern OH.

That's OH as in OH DEER! ;D

I managed to pick her up before the police arrived.   :)  She's usually the responsible one amongst us and I didn't even have to lecture her.  She's already aware of the potential consequences of her actions. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 06:11:32 pm »
Perhaps you need another history lesson as I've never seen a Confederate flag displayed here or in our parts of WVA.  We succeeded from Virginia for a reason. ;)

fascinating analysis
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:23:28 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 11:48:08 pm »

I managed to pick her up before the police arrived.   :)  She's usually the responsible one amongst us and I didn't even have to lecture her.  She's already aware of the potential consequences of her actions.

Isn't that leaving the scene of an accident?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 08:58:07 am »
Isn't that leaving the scene of an accident?

It's only considered an accident if there's property damage other than your own vehicle.  I made contact with the property owner that night and he gave us permission to retrieve the vehicle the next day.  The police only responded because someone else called and reported it thinking there might be injuries.  They only impounded it because they weren't able to make contact with her.

We took proof of insurance and licensing Monday and they released it. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.