Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:08:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 652
Total: 653

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A Cool Thing About Living Next to a New Park  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Basquo

A Cool Thing About Living Next to a New Park
« on: May 21, 2007, 06:05:16 pm »
BESIDES all the hotties jogging by, I have fresh flowers all Spring (which I harvest in moderation.) Mabel Davis Park is a designated Wildflower Preserve.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: A Cool Thing About Living Next to a New Park
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »
I've got to say this - I'm really disappointed in you Creighton. You say you "harvest in moderation", but what if all your neighbours did the same? It's been designated as a wildflower preserve for a reason - to preserve wildflowers for everyone to enjoy. As a keen conservationist, I think this is wrong of you to do, no matter how beautiful your arrangements are.

In sadness,
Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 06:25:07 pm »
Creighton.
maybe you could harvest the hotties instead.

your friend
                                                lucas

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 06:38:28 pm »
I've got to say this - I'm really disappointed in you Creighton. You say you "harvest in moderation", but what if all your neighbours did the same? It's been designated as a wildflower preserve for a reason - to preserve wildflowers for everyone to enjoy. As a keen conservationist, I think this is wrong of you to do, no matter how beautiful your arrangements are.

In sadness,
Ann

Allow me to untwist your knickers, Darling…I just traipsed out and took a good look at the sign, and it’s actually a “site” not a “preserve.”

Less than two years ago, it was an ancient landfill full of lead and mercury, on the EPA’s “hot list” for site remediation. I dealt with the dust and compost fog for many months, and now that they’ve thrown a few flower and barley seeds out there I feel I’m entitled to two dozen blossoms once a month. Not to mention the fact that all the displaced wildlife (okay, the three-eyed variety) moved into my backyard and dug up all my beds looking for food.  Now you have to be an all-hours meth-person in order to see the deer, owls, foxes and ferrets that lost their homes in the process. They don’t dare come out in the light of day anymore.

My neighbours?  Gather flowers?  Piss on them.  They don’t even curb their dogs, much less give a flip about what they can’t appreciate. As you can see, some of their offspring have “tagged” the city’s proud sign.

In Glee, for flowers that are Free,
Creighton

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Basquo

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 06:39:53 pm »
Creighton.
maybe you could harvest the hotties instead.

your friend
                                                lucas

And Lucas, dear friend, don’t think I haven’t thought of that! But I’ve given up posing on my porch since I became a boyfriend.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:47:29 pm »
they are wildflowers. There are a gazillion of them and they will be dead in a few days. who cares? no one. They were beautiful on the road to Austin this weekend,what few were left.
dont mess with texas

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 07:52:53 pm »
they are wildflowers. There are a gazillion of them and they will be dead in a few days. who cares? no one. They were beautiful on the road to Austin this weekend,what few were left.
dont mess with texas

LOL!  At last!  We agree on something!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 07:58:14 pm »
Oh Creighton, I think Mrs Alden Davis, the civic leader who the park was named after, would much rather you harvest the hotties...but not in moderation   ;D

Offline Jean-Yves

• Meow!
    • Home for Sign of the Tiger
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 08:06:07 pm »
Every time that you see all of those wildflowers along the highways in Texas, Say a thank you to Lady Bird Johnson. She was the driving force behind the planting and designated "No Mow" areas along Texas highways.
Jean-Yves
a former Texan

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 08:32:05 pm »
Every time that you see all of those wildflowers along the highways in Texas, Say a thank you to Lady Bird Johnson. She was the driving force behind the planting and designated "No Mow" areas along Texas highways.
Jean-Yves
a former Texan

ABSOLUTELY!!  Lady Bird is still with us, at 94, and though she's a bit of an invalid, she still makes appearances from time to time.  I do indeed think of her often, once I leave the city and start driving through grand Texas.

By the way, travelling here is like going anywhere in the world.  A little geography lesson for all - Here's a list of actual places to travel in Texas :

Need to be cheered up?   
               Happy, Texas 79042
               Pep , Texas 79353
              Smiley , Texas 78159
              Paradise , Texas 76073
              Rainbow , Texas 76077
              Sweet Home , Texas 77987
              Comfort , Texas 78013
              Friendship, Texas 76530

Love the Sun?
               Sun City , Texas 78628
              Sunrise , Texas 76661
              Sunset, Texas 76270
              Sundown, Texas 79372
              Sunray , Texas 79086
              Sunny Side , Texas 77423
               Sunnyvale , Texas 775182

Want something to eat?
               Bacon , Texas 76301
              Noodle , Texas 79536
              Oatmeal , Texas 78605
              Turkey , Texas 79261
              Trout , Texas 75789
              Sugar Land , Texas 77479
              Salty, Texas 76567
              Rice , Texas 75155
              And top it off with:
              Sweetwater , Texas 79556

Why travel to other states? Texas has them all!
               Atlanta , Texas 75551
               Detroit , Texas 75436
               Colorado City , Texas 79512
               Denver City , Texas 79323
               Nevada , Texas 75173
               Memphis , Texas 79245
               Miami , Texas 79059
               Boston , Texas 75570
               Santa Fe , Texas 77517
               Tennessee Colony , Texas 75861
               Reno , Texas 75462 

Feel like traveling outside the country? Don't have to buy a plane ticket!
               Athens , Texas     75751
               Canadian , Texas 79014
               China , Texas 77613
               Egypt , Texas 77436               
               Italy, TX 76651
              Turkey , Texas 79261
               London , Texas 76854
               New London , Texas 75682
               Paris , Texas 75460

No need to travel to Washington D.C

Whitehouse ,   Texas 75791

We even have a city named after our planet!

Earth , Texas 79031

And a city named after our State!

Texas City , Texas 77590

Exhausted?

Energy , Texas 76452

Cold?

Blanket , Texas   76432
                 Winters, Texas

Like to read about History?
                 Santa Anna ,   Texas
                Goliad , Texas
                Alamo , Texas
                Gun Barrel City , Texas

Need Office Supplies?

Staples , Texas 78670

Men are from Mars, woman are from

Venus , Texas 76084

You guessed it... it's on the state line...

Texline , Texas 79087

For the kids...
                 Kermit , Texas 79745
                Elmo , Texas 75118
                Nemo , Texas 76070
                Tarzan , Texas 79783
                Winnie , Texas 77665
                Sylvester , Texas 79560

Other city names in Texas , to make you smile..... :
                Flower Mound , Texas 75022
                Frognot , Texas 75424
                Bigfoot , Texas 78005
                Hogeye , Texas 75423
                Cactus , Texas 79013
                Notrees , Texas 79759
                Best, Texas 76932
                Veribest , Texas 76886
                Kickapoo , Texas 75763
                Dime Box, Texas
                Telephone , Texas 75488
                Telegraph , Texas 76883
                Whiteface , Texas 79379
                Twitty, Texas 79079

And last but not least.  The Anti-Al Gore City

Kilgore , Texas 75662

Whoops, left out
                 Muleshoe
                 Cut 'n Shoot,
                 Hoop And Holler,
                 Ding Dong, and don't forget......
                 Farewell , Texas 

And, of course, there is a place in Texas that is......

KNOTT , TEXAS

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 08:47:22 pm »
Leave it to Texas to come up with those names! :D (No offense intended).  Texas is just too hot for me (weather wise I mean).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 08:48:13 pm »
......and judge, that's why I love him!  ;D
Go C.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 06:59:26 am »
Hey Creighton, thanks for untwisting my knickers! ;D

It's just that I've had this debate with others in the past, but concerning actual "preserves" where there are endangered plant species. Reading your first post, I thought that was what we were talking about here and I now understand that it isn't. Thanks for clarifying.

Although it is true in a sense what Jack said about the blooms dying in a few days, what people often fail to remember is that when the bloom withers, it's time for the plant to make seeds to further propagate the species. When the flowers are removed in their prime, the plant can't make the seeds. Some plants will try again with more flowers, others can't.

But I'll say it again - the arrangement of your illicit ;) flowers is beautiful! You've really got a talent there.

I apologise for the misunderstanding on my part - but as I said, I'm a keen conservationist and I keep up to date on what wildflowers are endangered/protected species here where I live. There are often species from the animal kingdom that are dependant on the preservation of some plant species, so wiping out certain plants can have a far-reaching, knock-on effect.

Wildflower hugs,
Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 07:17:57 am »
any of you a "Lost in Space" fan...that campy series from the 60's?  If so, remember the eppy entitled "The Great Vegetable Rebellion"?  Makes one think twice about harvesting fresh flowers.  For me its silk flowers all the way baby!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 07:27:14 am »
Makes one think twice about harvesting fresh flowers.  For me its silk flowers all the way baby!

Silk? Oh yes darling, without a doubt. It's nice to see you bringing a touch of Manhattan to dear old Queens.

MtD

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 07:39:18 am »
Makes one think twice about harvesting fresh flowers.  For me its silk flowers all the way baby!

Silk? Oh yes darling, without a doubt. It's nice to see you bringing a touch of Manhattan to dear old Queens.

MtD

I have one silk arrangement, it has to be silk...otherwise, you know how many flowers would have bit the dust by now? This Manhattanite does not have a green thumb!  Besides, not many places here in the city to harvest flowers.  Not more than one floral arrangement though...wouldnt want anyone thinking Im gay or anything.   ;)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 09:35:59 am »
Ann, I was the one who said "preserve" in error in the first place! But I do stand by my comments about my neighbours!  ::)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.