Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:58:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 224
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I am now on the Obama Train bound for the White House  (Read 15740 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
I am now on the Obama Train bound for the White House
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:16:57 pm »
Well I have officially put away all my Hillary buttons and stickers and signed up on the Obama web site as an official supporter.  Anyone who supported Hillary and believes in the Democratic party's ideas must support Obama.  It has been laid out for us all week as to why.  If the speeches by Pelosi, Michelle Obama, Hillary, John Kerry, Bill Clinton and Joe Biden didn't convince doubters of why Obama needs to be the next President, then you really need to vote for McCain.  And if you claim to be a democrat you really need to change your party registration!!!

HILLARY SUPPORTER FOR OBAMA!!!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline atlq

Re: I am now on the Obama Train bound for the White House
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:33:04 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Welcome aboard!...The Clintons have really shown themselves to be class acts this week. Bill Clinton laid it out last night...a great endorsement and an old school beatdown of the repugs....
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 04:40:39 pm »
The Clintons have really shown themselves to be class acts this week. Bill Clinton laid it out last night...a great endorsement and an old school beatdown of the repugs....

Here, here.  Bill Clinton did a damn good job.  Looking forward to hearing Obama's acceptance speech tonight.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:48:48 pm »
I said during the primary election that I would vote for Senator Clinton and if she did not win, I would support Senator Obama.  I have been watching the convention and agree the Clintons are a class act.  Today, Forbes released their 45 most important women of the world, Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton are included in that group.

As Hillary Clinton was talking about Universal Healthcare, I couldn't help wonder why it wasn't established during the Clinton Administration and if such a program really be of importance to the Obama Administration.  There will be changes and I support Obama on November 4th.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Also: Hillary Supporter For Obama

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 07:50:34 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:28:30 pm »
Holy Crap.  CNN reporting lines to get into tonight's speech are up to 6 miles long.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/28/invesco.color/index.html

I mean ya gotta admit....for even just purely historical reasons, this is all WAY cool.

My little country's growing up.   :)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 08:32:53 pm »
I don't know if this link will work because it is from the home page of Comcast.net but Forbes 45 Most Powerful Women of the World www.comcast.net/finance/powerfulwomen2/slideshow/view/1  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 08:43:47 pm »

AL Gore is scheduled to speak next ( At the stadium) followed by Barack Obama.
What an incredible turnout. Just turned it on now !

R
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:51:55 pm »
No offense, but blowing off you bozos to go watch!   :P

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline atlq

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »
  WOW....

After a week of great speeches, I was a little nervous about tonight, but talk about rising to the moment.........

Just incredible....

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:28:55 pm »
  WOW....

After a week of great speeches, I was a little nervous about tonight, but talk about rising to the moment.........

Just incredible....

Agreed.  As has been stated by the TV talking heads, it was more of a meat & bones / practical speech than an eloquent "carve it in granite" speech - and I personally think that it was right on the money by being so.  Just what was needed, IMO.  He put substance to his claims - and he also did not shy away from spelling out who he is. 

And MAN!  How cool just to watch this bit of history going down! 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 11:36:48 pm »
And talk about your sour grapes...Reps scoff that the stadium and the turnout are "all a bit much". 

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/28/gop.react.thursday/index.html
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline atlq

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 11:48:50 pm »

And talk about your sour grapes...Reps scoff that the stadium and the turnout are "all a bit much".  -thunter34

For them, I think it is going to be a bit much....a bit too much...

Offline randym431

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 04:39:48 am »
Yeah I've never seen the republicans so pissed and petty acting.
I can’t wait to see their convention next week, as well as Mccains VP prick (ops...pick that is).
I swear, if Obama was Jesus and walked on water, the republicans would say "well he is on a diet,
and his shoes do look puffy, and I think I seen some invisible wires".
Its almost funny embarrassing watching their rebuttals on CNN.
Not only their lame replies but the sour look on their faces.
Very weird... and telling.
At least they could or would call Clinton a douche bag,
But its like they are biting their tongue trying to keep from
using the “N” word. Just hilarious!

Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 07:55:41 am »
 8)

I'm completely energised !!! Obama's speech last night was incredible !! Can't wait until he debates with McBush. Obama's going to make mincemeat out of him !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 07:59:13 am »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 10:09:44 am »
It was a good moving speech.

Can't wait to see how things go down today if McCain adds Sarah Pallin.

If McCain picked a woman I would definitely have to reevaluate my tepid support for Obama.
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 10:25:13 am »
I even ordered an Obama bumper sticker and I usually can't stand them.

I didn't watch the speech but was watching a documentary called Uncounted , directed by David Earnhardt, it was interesting to say the least.  Check it out, if you can.

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 10:28:50 am »
It was a good moving speech.

If McCain picked a woman I would definitely have to reevaluate my tepid support for Obama.

So what are you voting for?  A candidate?  A platform?  Or simply a vagina?

What's the story?

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline atlq

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 10:49:45 am »
So what are you voting for?  A candidate?  A platform?  Or simply a vagina?

What's the story?

Its a good pick politically though. She touches all the Repug base drool issues (anti-choice, lifetime NRA member, huge supporter of drilling anytime, anywhere)...I was hoping for Romney....damn!

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 10:52:04 am »
Well I think Sarah Pallin is more than just a vagina.

I'm not ltryingto spark a defensive back and forth -- I'm sure I'll vote for Obama and my vote in NY isn't going to make a difference either way.

But I do take into account personality, character, experience, platform, my gut insrinct about people (which serves me well) and, in an election like this after the way I viewed the primary- yes, gender... Mix it all up and listen and see where I land. The convention impressed me a lot, but if McCain picks Pallin I will simply reevaluate (nothing more).

And if he does pick her it will be the smartest move of his camapign in what I've been saying will no doubt be a close election sans all the over the top hoopla.

Peace out...
Mike :)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Cliff

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 10:52:59 am »
She's also hot!  Did yall see her on the cover of Vogue.

I doubt she's picked.  She's too goodlooking to not have some skeletons in her closet.  I'm sure she stripped to pay for college or something like that.

God help us if he picks Kay Bailey from Texas.  She is a disaster!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:55:11 am by Cliff »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 10:53:00 am »
I think Obama did a great job last night.  The whole convention was great.

My favorite part of his speech was when he spoke about the repugnicans bringing up "petty issues" to try to instill fear and divide people.   Abortion, gay rights, gun control.....   to me it is insulting for them to even remotely SUGGEST that these issues are near the top, on the priority list of this country.

I think Barack will make a great President, and I think Michelle will be a wonderful First Lady.   And their daughters are absolutely adorable.

Alan   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Cliff

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 10:53:59 am »
DP.

Offline atlq

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 10:56:17 am »
...in addition she's married to a Native Alaskan, who works on an oil rig and competed in the Ididarod (sp?). She gave birth to a son with Down's syndrome in April, while her oldest son will be shipping out to Iraq next month....That's a bio better than any political consultant could create....

Anyone who has read my (numerous) posts knows where I stand, but I think this election just got a whole, whole lot tighter....

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 11:00:33 am »

It was just announced on NBC -- what a transparent ploy.  She may be a woman, but how well does this conservative speak to liberal female voter concerns.  Not to mention she was merely a mayor of Wassilla, Alaska (population 5,469) just THREE YEARS AGO.

Is this a joke?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 11:03:22 am »
No, apparently McBush wants to get some mileage from her.

I was a Hillary supporter.  I agree, both she and Bill are class acts, clearly demonstrated by their speeches at the convention.

I now fully support Barack and have put a Obama 08 bumper sticker on my Miata.

I also support Tom Udall, another good Democrat.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline atlq

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 11:06:53 am »

It was just announced on NBC -- what a transparent ploy.  She may be a woman, but how well does this conservative speak to liberal female voter concerns.  Not to mention she was merely a mayor of Wassilla, Alaska (population 5,469) just THREE YEARS AGO.

Is this a joke?

Nope...the average "independent"  doesn't give jacksquat about years of service ....they want to feel a "connection" to the candidate.

Besides, the Obama campaign theme is "Change" not "Experience". It will be hard to make that argument....

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 11:11:53 am »
And Oh yes,...  It didn't rain !.. Asswipes !

http://pageoneq.com/news/2008/Focus_on_the_Family_video_Pray_for_rain_at_Obamas_DNC_s_0812.html

Ray

I wonder how they will be feeling about that sentiment if Gustav makes landfall in NOLA just in time for the Republican convention. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 11:17:28 am »

I'm not ltryingto spark a defensive back and forth -- I'm sure I'll vote for Obama and my vote in NY isn't going to make a difference either way.

I'd really like to comment on this repeated canard spoken by people who do not live in a "battleground state."  While entirely true in the context of the electoral college, please keep in mind that the popular vote tally is STILL entirely important after the election results, as the losing side will rhetorically use the lack of "political mandate" to diminish any policy proposals by the winning side.

Remember how the Republicans did this repeatedly during Bill Clinton's first term.  So, even if you do not live in a crucial state, so NOT waste your vote.

This is an issue that annoys the living crap out of me every year, and everyone seems to forget the effect of wasting their vote in such states.  Popular vote totals DO COUNT.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 11:20:50 am »
Yeah, I had my Hillary avy going here a few months back. I did peep Michelle and Barack speeches, I was sold by hearing Michelle's alone. As for Ms. Palin, the scandal is that she fired a trooper that was married to her sister. It is being investigated but she has also put some political figures out of office too. I think his choice was to try to sway over some female voters from Hillary's camp.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline atlq

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 11:36:53 am »
She's also a creationist:

http://scienceblogs.com/afarensis/2006/10/27/intelligent_design_and_the_ala/

Its the whole wingnut package!....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:48:27 am by atlq »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 11:52:10 am »
*sigh*

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 12:01:21 pm »
So how does McCain question Obama's experience to be President when his pick to be vice-president, the person who is a heartbeat away from leading the country, is a first term governor, three years removed from being mayor of a town population 5,000 or so.  The first decision a President makes is choosing his running mate after that the vice-president really doesn't factor into the outcome.  This pick makes the point even more true that it isn't about experience but judgement.  McCain once again has proven poor judgement.  The McCain of 2008 is nothing like the McCain of 2000.

This would be extremely funny if it weren't so sad.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 12:01:29 pm »
The pick of Palin is a cynical attempt by McCain to appear bold. In reality it smacks of desperation and is an insult to women. Quick, find me a pro-life, conservative gal to appease the evangelicals so I can pretend to be bold and history making. In reality, today, which is McCain's 72 birthday points out to all people paying attention who will be a heartbeat away from the Presidency should (heaven forbid) McCain wins.

ps she supports a constitutional ban on gay marriage
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:04:26 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 12:27:59 pm »
Really amazingly bad choice.  McCain really will do ANYTHING.  Forked Tongue Express.

Offline atlq

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 12:49:59 pm »
Just heard her speak...they are going right for the disgruntled Clintonistas...she even used HRC's "18 million cracks" line....

This was not a choice for governing.....

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 01:12:34 pm »
Just heard her speak...they are going right for the disgruntled Clintonistas...she even used HRC's "18 million cracks" line....

This was not a choice for governing.....

If McCain thinks the few remaining disgruntled Hillary supporters will win him the White House, well as Barack said last night, he just doesn't get it.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 01:13:58 pm »
Imagine McFossil croaking in his first year and Palin becoming President.  Pretty amazing.  Hope she's ready for that 3am phone call.

Offline atlq

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 01:42:23 pm »
Imagine McFossil croaking in his first year and Palin becoming President.  Pretty amazing.  Hope she's ready for that 3am phone call.

lol.....

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 02:34:31 pm »
Tokenism, pure and simple. Any man with a similar background or political history would have never been considered.

Let's see if the press treats her with the same respect (not) they gave Hillary.

Offline atlq

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 04:12:08 pm »
This is an obvious attempt to win female Hillary supporters.  I have always been an Obama supporter, so nothing lost.  And yes, Palin is pro-life and against domestic partnerships or any rights for LGBT people.   Hopefully this will convince the female voters that what McCain did is highly insulting to female intelligence. 

Obama's speech was terrific.  I've not seen excitement like this; my brother says it was like this when Kennedy was running (I was too young to remember).  Obama laid out how he was going to make things happen, so people now can't say "well, he hasn't said how he's going to do things."  If anyone was still undecided after last night's speech (and the previous ones by the others), God help us.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2008, 03:15:56 pm »
There's a lot of news out there after McCain's pick of Palin yesterday.  One thing I thought I DID hear was that she supported health care benefits for domestic partners.

Did anyone else hear this?  I'll have to look it up.....

OK, after looking online, "She vetoed a bill that would have blocked gays and lesbians from health and other benefits provided to state workers's domestic partners."

Not sure if that counts as "support" or not...?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 03:19:34 pm by MOONLIGHT1114 »
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2008, 04:11:55 pm »
Neither candidate supports same sex marriage so I guess I'll do a write in vote. Neither political group has given use a real good choice to pick from.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2008, 04:22:58 pm »
There's a lot of news out there after McCain's pick of Palin yesterday.  One thing I thought I DID hear was that she supported health care benefits for domestic partners.

Did anyone else hear this?  I'll have to look it up.....

OK, after looking online, "She vetoed a bill that would have blocked gays and lesbians from health and other benefits provided to state workers's domestic partners."

Not sure if that counts as "support" or not...?

She vetoed the bill because it was ruled unconstitutional, and to sign it would have violated her oath of office.

http://www.gaycitynews.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20098390&BRD=2729&PAG=461&dept_id=568864&rfi=6

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2008, 06:11:03 pm »
A little letter to the editor that brings a neat point to the story...

Here is the letter to the editor (Fresno Bee of August 29, 2008):

Why change all that?

Michelle Obama said she loves America, where a young black woman from south Chicago with middle-income parents can go to Princeton and Harvard Law School and to have the choice  to work with underprivileged people.  An America where a young black man with a single mother can be raised by his grandparents, become a lawyer, become a U.S. senator and be nominated to become the president of the United States.  An America where a young couple, who came from modest means, can buy a $4 million home.

What a great country.  Vote for Barack Obama, so he can change all that.  What?

Robert Brown, Fresno

Change can be wonderful if you can control what changes!!!!!!

Nick

remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.