Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:33:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 314
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Edina and Patsy Are Back...  (Read 3764 times)

Offline carousel

Edina and Patsy Are Back...
« on: April 20, 2011, 05:01:54 pm »
..For three episodes, apparently.  Hope they're great.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/apr/20/absolutely-fabulous-bbc-1-sitcom

Not sure whether it is a good idea.  Some of the later series were a bit ropey and some of Jennifer Saunders later comedy shows with Dawn French were a real shocker.

But at its best, AbFab was sheer genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r_JnGUexsw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW7XEv_2pk0

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Edina and Patsy Are Back...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »
You got a problem with Dawn French?  >:(

MtD

Offline carousel

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:27:10 pm »
Nope.  My Mum and Dad spend their days watching Vicar of Dibs repeats.

But, err..the double act of her and Saunders had run a bit out of steam.

For fans, they are appearing on BBC Radio 2 for a series of Bank Holiday specials.  I think you can listen to this channel outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010dn0g

edited to add link.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:29:29 pm by carousel »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:07:02 pm »

"The great thing is that because ... we fast-forwarded to where they're very old and nearly dead and practically plugged into vodka machines, it doesn't matter how beyond [the original series] we do it," she added.

I'm loving it. I hope they do whiskey machines too. ;D

I'll have to catch the Bank Holiday specials.

Speaking of Bank Holidays, we're getting two four-day weekends in a row over here, all thanks to that stupid royal wedding and the whole xtain spring fling thing. My daughter's impressed - it's her birthday weekend as well when the wedding is going on so she's got extra time in which to get get over getting suitably inebriated over her 24th. :)

Thanks for the heads-up on Ab-Fab, Carousel! :-*
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:09:37 pm »
Nope.  My Mum and Dad spend their days watching Vicar of Dibs repeats.

But, err..the double act of her and Saunders had run a bit out of steam.

For fans, they are appearing on BBC Radio 2 for a series of Bank Holiday specials.  I think you can listen to this channel outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010dn0g

edited to add link.

Yeah. I think Dawn and Jennifer have gone their separate ways, no?

Speaking of British Comediennes, I'm a HUGE fan of Miss Catherine Tate. :)

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 06:12:46 pm »
Yeah. I think Dawn and Jennifer have gone their separate ways, no?

Speaking of British Comediennes, I'm a HUGE fan of Miss Catherine Tate. :)

MtD

I think French and Saunders fell out around the same time as French fell out with Henry. Don't know quite what precipitated all that and they don't seem to be saying.

And yes, Catherine Tate is fantabulous. Haven't heard much from her in the past year or so though.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:45:08 pm »
I love listening to all things British, having recently been a big fan of The Tudors and now The Borgias with Jeremy Irons and a predominantly British cast.  I also loved Are You Being Served and other comedies but I had difficulty understanding Edina and Patsy and the Ab Fab cast, I guess that was part of their charm, if I see it on I'll give it another chance.  My old friend and roommate Les introduced me to Masterpiece and Mystery Theater, narrated by Alistair Cooke and Diana Rigg and we loved to hear them speak and the shows were wonderful, it is one of the little joys with Les I remember after he has been gone 16 years.  I will have to check out the BBC America schedule but it is usually the public TV stations in New York that have the best British programming.  Perhaps I shall make a spot of tea and sit down for the Eastenders? :)

Jody :)  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:47:18 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 06:56:18 am »
Diana Rigg, in her role as Emma Peel in The Avengers, was my sister's first childhood celebrity crush. :) I was still a little too young at the time to notice. She's still a handsome woman at the age of 72, and it doesn't appear as though she's resorted to plastic like so many do.

Jody, Eastenders? Nooooooo!!! That show is so depressing. Coronation Street and Emmerdale at least have some comic relief. Eastenders is all doom and gloom 95% of the time. Wrist-slitting viewing.

Have you ever watched any of the Carry On films? Good, camp fun. If you like British humour from the sixties and seventies, you'll like the Carry On genre.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 07:05:53 am »
F & S Show dates less than Ab Fab. But of course Ab Fab was great and it was nice to see them age.  

I'll be interested to see what 60yo themes they can do in a reboot. Cause I do hope they let Patsy be 60.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:07:43 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 12:39:51 pm »
F & S Show dates less than Ab Fab. But of course Ab Fab was great and it was nice to see them age.  

I'll be interested to see what 60yo themes they can do in a reboot. Cause I do hope they let Patsy be 60.

It was established on the 2004 Christmas edpisode that Patsy was 65, so that would make her 72 today.

French and Saunders were still performing their live shows as late as 2009. We have several DVDs, 6 I think, and we love to watch them.

Offline next2u

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 12:27:53 am »
me and my best fag were supposed to dress up as edina and patsy and get royally fucked up one year. it saddens me this never came to fruition.

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Jody

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 04:05:56 pm »
My father used to love Benny Hill, especially when they went slapstick and Benny used to chase the old man around and slap his head...My dads name was Gus and when they had a skit where Benny says: The fungus in the garden is better than the fun Gus had with you he laughed so hard.  But he really cracked up during one skit when an Asian woman, having difficulty with English, says: We go horse piddle.  Benny keeps repeating: horse piddle, what is horse piddle?  And she says: Man hurt- we go horse piddle, horse piddle, of course trying to say hospital !!! :D

Jody :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.