Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:30:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 291
Total: 292

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Rectal (anal) fistula  (Read 4486 times)

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
Rectal (anal) fistula
« on: January 14, 2007, 07:54:42 pm »
Anyone ever have one or have surgery to fix it?  I am facing it.....any info appreciated.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline Eldon

Re: Rectal (anal) fistula
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 07:56:15 pm »
No I have not. But, good luck and best wishes.

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 10:19:45 pm »
Thanks Eldon!  Seriously folks, I am facing surgery, these are semi common in HIV dudes....no one has had one?

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:10:25 am »
SD: Have you seen this info? http://www.fascrs.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=1        Em

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:12:44 am »
Yeap, that is what I have got and that is the surgery they need to do.  I have read both good and bad things about it and was hoping someone on here had some personal insight, so to speak.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 04:34:45 am »
SD,

A ( negative) friend of mine had one removed.
It all healed well, after some initial discomfort.

Good luck

Herman
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 05:58:07 am »
Hey SD,
I know someone who had one of these. Apparently it was quite incomfortable prior to treatment.

His cleared up just fine after the surgery.

When will you have the procedure done?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 09:25:42 pm »
Hey Mark,

Well, I have been uncomfortable for a year.  It has taken that long to finally figure out what the hell is going on.  I am meeting with a colon/rectal surgeon next week and planning surgery for when I get back from Italy on the 8th of Feb.  I am not looking forward to the healing process.  I do not want to be incontinent nor loose, so to speak.  Just freaked.

Thanks!

Offline randym431

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 03:39:46 am »
I had one back in 1998. Per hiv days and not hiv related. So I'll spill my guts with my experience for ya...

I got food poisoning from a TV dinner back then and had terrible squirts for 3 days and thats when the god awful pain started. I think mine was just stress on the innards from the bad food and the constant squirts those 3 days.

ANyway, like with you, it took me NINE MONTHS to get properly diagnosed by a doctor. It was truly hell on earth for me. The pain was just awful, day after day after a bowel movement. Then the pain lasted 12 hours after till it finally calmed down, that is... till the next bowel movement. When I had to have a bowel movement, knowing the pain to follow, it was just like sitting there looking at my hand with an axe in the other hand and deciding when you were going to chop off your other hand. What I mean is knowing this terrible pain was to follow.
And the doctors. What a nightmare. One figured out I was gay from being over 40 and never married. He suggested the pain (not knowing then the cause) was because I was gay and suggested I get tested. THATS medical health care in the midwest for ya.
So I got tested anyway and was then neg in 1997. So on to the next step....

So this same doctor had me go thru every test for colon cancer. Every test came back normal so cancer was ruled out. He finally gave up, had no idea of the cause of pain, and told me to start a high fiber diet...goodbye.

So I suffered several more months as things got worse. The pain was so bad on a daily basis I lost 30 #s and considered taking my own life rather than live with this nightmare pain daily. It was that bad.

Then at work they changed med insurance and I had a new doctor on the list I never seen before or knew about in my area. There were only TWO that specialized in this area. And the one had given me the kiss off after finding nothing and doing ever test under the sun.

So this new doctor was actually a real old guy that had been around for years and was about to retire that next summer. He was really old.
So nine months had gone by since my first pain started by now.
I went to see this new doctor (the old guy). He did a visual examine with a little scope in office. Took just 5 minutes. Found the problem right away. Told me what was involved with fixing it and how long I could expect to be off work. Every thing he said was right on the button.

I went in for surgery. It was out patient. He did the surgery and also stuffed all kinds of packing up "there" for it to heal.
He said to do sits baths 20 min a day, three times a day and after 3 days the packing would work its way out and with my first bowel movement.
I had a spinal and was not put clear out for the surgery, so I was semi awake. No pain during surgery at all, even getting the spinal was painless. Then I rested in recovery for 2 hours and was sent home with pain pills. The doctor also said the spinal (or whatever else they used for pain during the surgery) would last some 10-11 hours on its own. So when I got home, I felt great!!!!! No pain at all.

But my BIG mistake was not taking a pain pill BEFORE they spinal wore off. So 11 hours to the minute the pain hit and I freaked out. I called the doctor at 1am, woke him up, and said I was in bad pain. He ask if I had taken any pain pills yet and I said no. I realized how dumb I was as he said to take a pain pill. I don’t know why I hadn’t, I guess I was in no pain after surgery so I thought I'd have no pain. Anyway, I took a pill and the pain did subside a lot. I took pain pills a few times through out the next day and that was all I needed. After one day on pain pills, the pain was pretty much gone and I did not take anymore.

Then after a few days the first bowel movement came along and I was SHOCKED when it was painless. Just a little scratchy but not painful at all. First time in nine months, no pain. And this was just a few days after surgery. Man oh man was I happy beyond words. FINALLY my nightmare of nine months of pain and doctors was over.

A few follow up visits to the GOD SENT old doctor, and I was good as new. I ask if this would ever come back, out of the fear of it happening again, and he said no. Very rare.

Sorry to go on so, but I wanted to give you a real life experience and let you know the pain (not really pain, more just discomfort) afterwards will be nothing like the pain you're probably going thru now, pre surgery. My only advice is, after surgery you will feel great with no pain because of the pain med they give you during surgery. But don’t do like me and wait too long to start your pain pills. That was my only big mistake. And like I said, I only needed the pills a 24 hours after the surgery anyway, then I felt fine without.

The fix is much less painful than the problem, so don’t worry. Sounds like you too finally found a good doctor that knows his stuff. SHOCKING how many out there DO NOT! And put you thru more hell for months, then send you away unresolved.
Don’t worry. You'll do just fine...

PS. I was told to expect to be off work for two-three weeks to heal (no lifting). I actually felt good enough to bo back to work after only one week, but took the three (it was paid) cause I wanted a little vacation away from working anyway. Dont tell my boss  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 03:45:14 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 11:38:11 pm »
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

That is the kind of experience I needed to hear about.  I knew I could not be the only one!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.