Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:58:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 232
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tomorrow will be a living hell for me!  (Read 16607 times)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
Tomorrow will be a living hell for me!
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:55:41 am »
It's been nearly 4 years!   :-[

I know, I know!   :(

I am way overdue! 

It's just I have this very real fear!  It starts manifesting itself in the pit of my stomach.  It travels to my head and produces a pounding ache.

I find myself forgetting to breath.  My anxiety level goes off the charts and there isn't enough Ativan in North America to calm it!

This is completely irrational of course.   :'(

Tomorrow, 10:00 a.m. to be precise, I go to the dentist.

I don't want to go!  I really don't want to go.  I've picked up the phone 3 times to cancel.

I am terrified of the dentist.  Always have been.

I also worry about what they may find. Cancer?  Gum disease.  10,000 cavities--each needing major drilling (scream!)  I don't have dental insurance, so just covering the cost of this checkup with xrays ($125.00) is going to be a struggle.  If they find something major--yikes. 

I need a new night guard.  I grind my teeth a lot at night.  I've chewed through the old one.  They'll want to make me a new one.  Those things are very expensive.  If I don't wear one though I risk cracking my teeth and that would be even worse.

O.K. I'm done with all the whining and imagined problems.

It's just I really hate going to the dentist.

10:00 a.m. tomorrow morning!  SHIT!   >:(

RAB
(Who hates going to the dentist)

Offline cubbybear

Re: Tomorrow will be a living hell for me!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 10:06:28 am »
Hey Rocky,

I feel for you matey, I have the same dentist phobia, I avoid them for as long as I can and visits to that damn chair are hell. 

xxx
Matt

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:07:25 am »
What you need to do, rocky, is master some relaxation techniques.  Relax today.  Nothing strenuous. A little exercise.  Nice, deep breaths.   Go out and rent a  movie. And tonight, have a nice BBQ, a cocktail, then watch the movie.

Oh, by the way, the perfect movie?   THE MARATHON MAN!!   ("IS IT SAFE?")

robert

(who also needs to go but just hates the idea of paying someone for that kind of pain.)

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:32:03 am »
All that prodding...
drilling....
bleeding....
fist in your mouth....
shots.......

What's the problem?

(Is this helping Rock?)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:46:14 am »
Don't feel bad Rocky, I need to make an appointment too.

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 10:49:20 am »
HAHA! Love the pic J!  Just what Rocky needs to see hahaha..

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 11:04:44 am »
Okay, the truth is, Dentists scare the shit out of me too.

Offline ademas

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 11:09:53 am »
Hope all goes well, Rocky, and that there are no ugly surprises ($$$).

(My dad was a dentist, as are several uncles and both brother-in-laws.  They are really very nice people!)

Offline David_CA

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 11:23:59 am »
Hey, I feel for you.  I'm the same way about the dentist.  My childhood dentist hit a nerve with the needle a few times when I was young.  Talk about being traumatized at an early age!  I didn't go for a few years a while back and paid for it with a couple of cavities and a crown.  Now, I have dental insurance, but it doesn't really save me much money (unless I need another crown), but it keeps me from cancelling appts using the excuse that I can't afford it.  Now, I brush 3+ times a day and floss every day.  I haven't had a cavity in years and they say that my teeth are always immaculate.  I did have to take a couple Valiums when I went for a crown a few years ago, though!  Now, I just force myself to relax and do breathing exercises.  Hell, if we can deal with HIV, the dentist should be a piece of cake right?  Good luck with it.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline tuggem

• Ron Hudson, same body, new face
    • 2sides2ron
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 11:32:36 am »
I am sure it is more expensive, but there are "sedation" dentists cropping up around here.  I am also not sure what drug they give you to knock you out before hand and it might interact with your other meds, so you would definitely need to check that out.

Fear of going to the dentist in my early life has given me a mouth full of crowns and fillings.  I still hate it and have to take valium too...no amount of breathing can calm me down when they hit a nerve and my teeth are super sensitive for some reason.

It might be worth finding a sedation dentist just to investigate the option.

Good luck.
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Poz since 08/25/1985 or earlier

Safe journeys!

Ce fut une belle aventure...

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34:41 am »
Ryan White will pay for dental services. It pays for mine. I go to the regional health department dental office and do it for free. HIV + people should take really good care of their teeth the meds can make your mouth dry and cause plaque and tarter to build up faster than on a person without this condition.

I am a fanatic about my teeth anyway. I brush/floss them several times a day. I don't like going to the dentist either  & get a prescription for valium before each visit.

Good luck

Dan

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 11:36:45 am »
Hi Rocky,

Until a few years ago I never minded going to the dentist. Just accepted it like having to ride in a non-air conditioned train in the summer. You know, it sucks but you gotta get to where you gotta get.

Somewhere along the line something has shifted and while I don't get into an uproar, it's harder and harder for me to get myself into that chair. When I was having root canal I did allow the shreds of my mind to dirft and imagine having more appealing things in my mouth. (That actually helped).

I also was able to figure out just how long each step was going to take when being worked on so that gradually I knew when I was halfway finished for the visit. That helped. Oh good, I'm on my way out of here.

So I have just developed little tools and techniques for getting me through. It works in other situations too. If the appointment is for 1:00, I know that by X time I will be outta there and into the rest of my day.

And make sure you get plenty of novocaine.

Awaiting your report with big cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Cliff

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 11:47:36 am »
oh dear....I pity the dentist that's gonna have to deal with your bitchy ass!   ;D

Have fun and let us know how it goes.  I'm sure your checkup will be fine.  I hope your dentist also gets to show you movies or pictures of your mouth to keep you occupied.

Cliff
(Who actually likes going to the dentist, for some strange reason.)

Offline Trish

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 11:50:59 am »
The only part about seeing the dentist that I enjoy -- the ANESTHESIA!!! ;D  I like it ALOT!!! 8) :)

Good luck Rocky... I will be thinking of you.

Love ya,

Trish :-*
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 11:51:10 am »
Cliff
(Who actually likes going to the dentist, for some strange reason.)

Definitely strange and disturbing Cliff.  ::)

RAB,

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning while drinking my coffee..and possibly with a big grin on my face.  ;D

The Canuck
(Who doesn't like dentist much either..not them as much as having the inside of my mouth becoming a playground for tools)

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 12:24:29 pm »
Oh Rocky,

Get it over with.

I want no smelly breath next time you comfort me.....poor baby....

I will think of you tomorrow.

Hermie
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 01:21:48 pm by heartforyou »
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 12:37:40 pm »
Cliff, say it aint so!

(heebeejeebees)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 12:38:48 pm »
Hi Rocky,

I took your attitude for years, and then when my teeth were falling out a few years ago, I finally broke down and went in to see what could be salvaged.  Wouldn't you know, Root Canal, a couple of extractions, and finally the fitting of a false tooth.  

Now for the good news.  I discovered gas!!!.  Oh that sweet smell of "I don't give a shit, just do it".  I had never known that dentistry would ever be something that I would be able to tolerate, because Novocaine does little for my sensitive mouth.  Then the doctor suggested that I try the aromatic stuff.  Well, all I can say my dear, is this is the only way to FLY.  Please do me a favor, and insist on gas, lots of it.  

I will definitely be thinking of you in your state of trauma tomorrow.

In Love and Sadness.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 01:15:12 pm »
Rocky,

What you do is when you get into the dentist chair; you grab him firmly by the balls and say

“NOW WE DON’T WANT TO HURT EACH OTHER, DO WE?”

Terry (Who sees his hot, cute, young, gay dentist every six months.)  ::)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 02:28:31 pm »
I feel for you.   Just came from the dentist myself.....was in the chair 1.5 hours today.   The hiv clinic dentist I see doesn't have gas available, but I agree with Tim -- if  you're seeing a private dentist and he has to do much work in there, ask for the gas!   I've had 3 root canals, and one endodontic surgical procedure, and was in the chair 4.5 hours for that.

My problem today was the fact that I desperately needed to pee the entire time he was working on me..... :'(

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 03:29:57 pm »
Don't wait too long Rocky or you will be gumming your meds....or other things? Actually, I had my six month check-up yesterday. Dr. found a cavity...now the pain will be in my pocketbook. Dan is right...healthy teeth and gums are VERY important!

Hal ;D

Offline TugaMan

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 03:37:13 pm »
Er.... am I one of the few who are NOT afraid of dentists? I go there every six months (ok, sometimes i forget for other six months and one year has passed).
No. My dentist is not sexy (not for me, at least), just in case you were wondering ehehe ;-)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 08:26:45 pm »
Hello Rab,

Wishing you the best , at the dentist tomorrow. I am also one of those, that don't have a problem, with the dentist, and actually look forward to it.

The only thing I hate, is when they put the jaws of life in your mouth and stretch your mouth all to hell... :)   Just Kidding !! :P

Your visit tomorrow, will be over with before you know it...

I remember a comedian once saying," you can tell how good your dentist is, by the amount of blood in his hair.. :o

The Best-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jody

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 08:39:43 pm »
Best of luck at the dentist Rocky...I'm sure all will be fine, as the good folks here have said don't be afraid to ask for whatever you need to make it painless...As far as the wallet, you can always make small payments, something coming in is better for the practicioner than nothing at all.

Jody ;D
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Eldon

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 09:01:36 pm »
I see that everyone is going to the Dentist. My appointment is tomorrow at 11:00am.

You will be fine.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 09:03:26 pm »
Jeez, quit worrying.

Go get the checkup.  If you need treatment, ask if he'll sedate you with some oral Halcion prior to the treatment.  one or two .25mg tabs one hour prior to the appt and I hardly even remember what happened.....it's really almost pleasant.  If you're on Norvir, one tab will be enough.  Oh, and you'll have to get someone to take you there if you do this.....you can't drive.

As for the pain in the wallet.  Can't help ya there.  It is awfully expensive.  

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 09:19:37 pm »
My childhood dentist hit a nerve with the needle a few times when I was young.  Talk about being traumatized

Same thing happened to my ex-boss. Since he told me that story it's now a damn phobia for me. @#&!!!!!!!!

And now your story. Double @#&!!!!!!!!

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 10:49:57 pm »
I know how ya feel.  When I get in that chair I'm so tense I don't bend.  After having 6 shots of novacaine and still being able to feel the drilling, I try to avoid going as much as possible.

I really need to go bad myself.  My teeth are in bad shape but I keep putting it off which only makes things worse and means more that needs to be done. Which makes me more afraid to go.  Plus, even with insurance, I can't afford to have done what needs to be done so I put it off even more.  It's a vicious cycle.  :-[

I been stashing money in savings so I'll have some to get started on but that won't last long.  I really dread it.  :'(

I need to win the lottery... at least enough so I can afford it.  :P
Member since March 2004

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 11:02:33 pm »
HAVE THEM GAS YOU!  ITS ALL GIGGLES AND BOOBS IN YOUR FACE... ;D

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2006, 02:51:38 am »
I don't hate the dentist, mine is a fine human being with caring and compassion.  I hate the procedures, the needles, the drilling and the smells.

Do you know what I hate more than that?

My dentist has done everything he can but I have to go to an Oral Surgeon.  The nearest one who will accept Medi-Cal payment is UCSF in San Francisco.  I have to go there for a consultation, it is over an hour away, my vehicle will not make it there because of cooling system problems.  It takes 2 hours to get to the bus station and another 3 hours to get to SF, where oh where is UCSF once I get there.  Then there is 5 hours to get home.

Then there is the procedure (on a different day) with 5 hours of travel on public transportation, each way.  With all the drugs to keep me out and all the travel is one bad day.  You may have read in some of my posts that I have problems with medications and short warnings before bowel movements... I can't control it and what if I take a dump on public transportation in Marvelous Marin?  There is no one in the richest county in California who will help and the walk home is simply too far.  I choose to live with a couple of broken teeth because a casual observer can not see them.  I would trade disability income and benefits for a menial job with good health insurance in a heartbeat.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline Cliff

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 04:05:30 am »
Today is the big day Rocky!!!!   ;D

- Cliff

(Who loves to see a sexy man sweat!)

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2006, 09:16:12 am »
A dr once told me before a major surgery: BE BRAVE...I never forgot those two words, and refer to them on a regular basis. Good luck!
Positive since 1985

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 09:30:16 am »
Gud Murning mi cumrades

cupl more hours I go to toothy woothy guy  ;D <<<<(see them toothy's? He He He)

noprooblum fur me

addvannnnnnn (oppsy) attackvan  (oppsy) thos lil itsy white pill thingys wurk really well (He He He)

RuB
(Who tuk sum avan)

Tanks fur youur sport (cept you ewil 1s who tourmunted me)   >:(

;D<<<looksy more toothies He He He

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 09:51:27 am »
Good luck Rock,

(by the way......SHOULD anything happen, can I have your new computer?)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 11:41:48 am »
What's the problem?

:D :D :D :D :D LOL !!! that ain't right!!!!   :D :D :D :D :D

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 07:35:37 pm »
NO CAVITIES!  NO GUM DISEASE!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just need a cleaning and a new night guard!

I told all you damn worry warts this was no big deal!

Sheesh, if you would all just listen to me!   :P

RAB

(who firmly believes there are too damn many drama queens around here and he aint one of em!  No siree Bob!   :-[ )

Edited to correct spelling and to add this little official diagnosis--the dentist commented that I have a very small mouth!  (YEP, NO ONE CAN EVER AGAIN ACCUSE ME OF BEING A BIG MOUTH!)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 07:46:46 pm by RAB »

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2006, 07:38:39 pm »
I will pretend I never read that.  :-\

The Canuck

Offline bear60

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 08:51:10 pm »
Hey there
I hope it goes well for you.  You know, there are breathing and meditation exercises you can do. I get accupuncture and there are several places he puts needles that just send me up the wall...but he just says BREATH. And its all over.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 09:02:56 pm »
Hey Rocky

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 11:36:11 pm »
LMAO!
John, you are one sick puppy.

Terry (I can’t see the keyboard from the tears in my eyes. I hope you never find Trish’s toy’s.)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.