Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 10:04:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 140
Total: 140

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Positive, I'm adopting... Meeting Resistance.  (Read 6126 times)

Offline engineergirl

• What?
HIV Positive, I'm adopting... Meeting Resistance.
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:50:47 pm »
It's a mess.

My name is Amanda Brown, some of you here know me... some don't.  Hi!

I've found myself in quite the legal battle.

Biological mother (I co-habitated with the Biological Mother's mother, just another reason to legalize gay civil union's, we raised the baby together after the kids couldn't) would like me to adopt her daughter (child has been in my custody since 01/20/2012), father was initially absent but appeared at the guardianship hearing and contested the guardianship and filed for full physical/legal custody of the minor, he is unfit. Originally his immediate family did not have an issue with the child in my custody until they were urged to reconsider after disclosure of my HIV status and Sexual Orientation (Lesbian) from an individual whom I filed a civil stalking injunction on today, an individual who is not an interested party, and individual who printed up papers from my blog and distributed them to interested parties...

I make more money than most legal aid services will allow for free legal aid/representation. I have spoken with three different attorney's who all want $5,000.00 to put towards the retainer. I don't have $5,000.00. I set up a facebook page to raise money for the child. Will you take a look at her facebook page and "Like" it, then share it... I'm trying to spread the word.

For more information on this story, you can check out my blog:

http://www.hivpositivelypositive.org/#!about-me/blog

Looking forward to hearing from you...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:56:35 pm by amandaj.brown »
amanda j.
Currently 28 weeks pregnant with a little boy...

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: HIV Positive, I'm adopting... Meeting Resistance.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:29:15 pm »
I feel for you and I hope this goes well for you, but adopting a child against a biological parent's (read: the father's) wishes is going to be an almost impossible battle, even if he is deemed unfit he will probably have some leverage in who he would favor to raise his child.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:35 pm »
I feel for you and I hope this goes well for you, but adopting a child against a biological parent's (read: the father's) wishes is going to be an almost impossible battle, even if he is deemed unfit he will probably have some leverage in who he would favor to raise his child.

Sorry, Hellraiser, but you've posted in a forum limited to women living with HIV. I'll let this message stand, but please be mindful of this in the future.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:30:47 pm »
I read your blog and my 14 year old daughter read it... she is still liking the message of "if it's wet and not yours...
She also really liked your explanation of HIV infection.
I had her when I was positive and she is negative.
I hope everything happens for you.

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:43:05 pm »
Thanks for your reply... I appreciate it.

I have hope that everything will work out the way it should.
amanda j.

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:06:58 pm »
I Won!
amanda j.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:31:12 pm »
congratulations amanda

this is wonderful news!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.