Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 10:35:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 98
Total: 98

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Partner  (Read 4791 times)

Offline SANJUANDUDE

My Partner
« on: December 12, 2011, 12:36:19 pm »
 :)  My partner has had a consistent less than 200 t-cells for the past six years, and he is still doing "ok."  I didn't say great.  A couple of months ago, he had an aches and pains thing going on in his legs, but that seems to have passed.  He did some research and thought he may have mylopathy.  He then contacted his ID doctor at the VA and the pysician informed him with an undetectable viral load, the liklihood of that is not great at all.  I was happy to hear that.  However, he does have "hairy tongue" or black tongue.  it began to go away with acylovir treatment, but then came back.  Has anyone else here experienced this???  Will this go away or is he stuck with it???

I did hear from one gentleman who siad that his CD-4 count was down to -2- but he was able to get it back up again to around 350. 

http://timehasshownme.com
10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline Rockin

Re: My Partner
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:17:19 pm »
:)  My partner has had a consistent less than 200 t-cells for the past six years, and he is still doing "ok."  I didn't say great.  A couple of months ago, he had an aches and pains thing going on in his legs, but that seems to have passed.  He did some research and thought he may have mylopathy.  He then contacted his ID doctor at the VA and the pysician informed him with an undetectable viral load, the liklihood of that is not great at all.  I was happy to hear that.  However, he does have "hairy tongue" or black tongue.  it began to go away with acylovir treatment, but then came back.  Has anyone else here experienced this???  Will this go away or is he stuck with it???

I did hear from one gentleman who siad that his CD-4 count was down to -2- but he was able to get it back up again to around 350. 

My doctor said he has treated people with less than 50 CD4 count and the person was able to rebound and be well again. So it's not a hopeless situation I guess.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:36:53 pm »
I'm taking it that your partner is on antiretrovirals.  ;) Studies have shown that often when someone has had a very low nadir (the lowest cd4 count) that it takes a long time to recover and recovery may never be "that" much. If your partner has been below 200 for many years, it sounds like he must have been very sick at one point and had a very low nadir.

I have gone through a similar situation. I hit a low of 7, 12, 23 over the span of a couple of years, then took ARV's and lived for the next 16 yrs with tcells well under 300, actually well under 250. I was prone to thrush, rashes, fatigue, and other problems. But finally after 19 yrs of meds I have now been just barely over 300 for the last year. So it can take a looooong time for anything like a "decent" recovery depending on how low you reached.

even though recovery may be slow, recovery can happen and is a good thing. even more good news is that low tcells counts aren't the end of the world. Even though for a decade I only averaged 235 (so I had counts <200 and counts >250 off and on), I haven't been back to the hospital or even very sick in over 14 yrs. It's actually not how many tcells you have but how well they work.

I can tell you that for 16 of the last 20 yrs I felt terribly sick, had tons of issues, and was often dealing with AIDS conditions; however, staying on meds and staying UD gave my body the chance to finally recover so that I can say that I now feel better than I have in 20 yrs. ;) Tell your partner to hang in there, deal with issues promptly, stay adherent to the meds to stay UD, give it more time (yes, even more time than he's already waited hoping to recover more), and hopefully he too can reclaim some better health in the near future. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:35:52 pm »
My doctor said he has treated people with less than 50 CD4 count and the person was able to rebound and be well again. So it's not a hopeless situation I guess.

I had 25 CD4 cells about three months ago. Back up to 140. My personal low was less than 12 when I was in the hospital.

BTW those 25 CD4 cells and I had a fucking fantastic time whitewater rafting in August, for what it's worth.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:25:44 am »
There are many of us here who have rebounded from single digit numbers.  I hope your partner finds the internal strength to fight.  It definitely can be done.  For me, it required a total body, mind and soul approach.

Best of luck

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 09:29:35 am »

BTW those 25 CD4 cells and I had a fucking fantastic time whitewater rafting in August, for what it's worth.

Is this something we commonly do when we only have a handful of CD4's left?  I too went and did the upper gulley in the New River Gorge while probably at my sickest.  2 days of fun, 2 months of recovering.  Was well worth it as I thought it'd be my last great adventure.

Wolfie

Modfied to add;  Yes, I have pictures.....so it did happen. :D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 07:50:37 pm »
Although I love him dearly, he should take better care of himself, such as quit smoking that stupid pipe.  The lowest his cd-4 count has ever been is 100.  Neither one of us do drugs or drink alcohol, so those things are not dragging his count down.  We have read up recently that somebody was on some sort of anabolic steroid and acyclovir, which helped their cd-4 count.  He is due to go to the doctor in mid-January, and I encourage him to get on a different regimen.  sometimes though, one has to want to take care of themselves and get better. 

At this time, he is on Viramune, Truvada, and a Bactrim every 2 or 3 days.

10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:07:36 pm »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:11:23 pm by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:53 pm »
quit smoking that stupid pipe.  The lowest his cd-4 count has ever been is 100.  Neither one of us do drugs or drink alcohol, so those things are not dragging his count down.  We have read up recently that somebody was on some sort of anabolic steroid and acyclovir, which helped their cd-4 count.
smoking, drinking, and/or drugs have no effect on the cd4 count (although smoking may bump it UP by about 50 or so, which means nothing). Also acyclovir and/or steriods won't increase the cd4 count.

if your partner is staying undetectable why in the world would y'all want to mess up a good thing by changing regimens? Staying UD is the biggest issue, NOT the cd4 count. He could add a PI (like Norvir) to the mix, but that wouldn't change his cd4 count. Honestly, there really isn't anything to do to increase a person's cd4s; but to let the body recover by keeping the HIV to UD.

If there was something to jump cd4s up, there'd be a lot of us here using that solution. ;) (I sure didn't stay below 250 all those yrs because I wanted to. LOL) It's tough but there is nothing (not even "healthy living" whatever that is LOL) to help recover CD4s. There is nothing to help cd4s except for time and sometimes it takes a long time too, as in decades even. Yet other times, not even time helps. That's just how it is.

by the way, I have had thrush more times than I can count; but had never heard of "black tongue". You should probably read up on it (your partner isn't taking a lot of Pepto Bismol is he??), because it shouldn't have been the acyclovir that got that under control as it takes an antibiotics or antifungal to do that. (http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/black-hairy-tongue)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 08:18:58 pm »
Although I love him dearly, he should take better care of himself, such as quit smoking that stupid pipe.  The lowest his cd-4 count has ever been is 100.  Neither one of us do drugs or drink alcohol, so those things are not dragging his count down.  We have read up recently that somebody was on some sort of anabolic steroid and acyclovir, which helped their cd-4 count.  He is due to go to the doctor in mid-January, and I encourage him to get on a different regimen.  sometimes though, one has to want to take care of themselves and get better. 

At this time, he is on Viramune, Truvada, and a Bactrim every 2 or 3 days.

If you love him dearly, don't you ever mention that he is not doing enough for himself.  You have no idea how painful it can be to do everything right and your counts still tank.  I assume you are not a doctor, so why should he change his drugs?  They are doing exactly what they are supposed to do.  Maybe you should stop blaming him for being poz and realize that it is his disease and he will fight it as he sees fit.  If you were my partner I would be insulted that you thought I didn't want to get better.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.