Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:43:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 221
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Am I old, antisocial, both?  (Read 7239 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Am I old, antisocial, both?
« on: November 29, 2008, 10:03:20 am »
I was reading about how so many people are gaga over Twitter so I checked it out. I can't imagine why anyone would want to know about the day to day minutia of my life. I know I don't care about the random stuff that is happening in my loved ones lives. The idea of stopping what I'm doing to text on my phone what I was doing before I was interrupted by the urge to tell everyone what I was doing boggles my mind. It is like people are making an effort to communicate inane jabber that anyone skilled in the art of conversation would try to avoid.

Since there are apparently millions of people out there texting their fingers to the nubs desperate to let everyone know they ate the McRib instead of the Big Mac today could one of you explain the appeal?

As my partner summarized recently, "Jesus Christ! Why does your sister have to email us pictures every time one of her grandkids takes a shit! Who the hell cares!"

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Am I old, antisocial, both?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:11:02 pm »
Old is subjective. You seem social, at least here. I think they flood  with pics and updates estimating the recipients (you, your lover, etc., etc.)  read maybe 10 percent or less of the updates. So even a 10 percent read rate will provide enough information to know which kid belongs to who, which kid loves ballet, etc. My extended family uses http://groups.yahoo.com and you can set it to "don't send emails. i will read the board" or something like that. it's my setting.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 04:13:08 pm »
I think the whole thing is silly and inane.  I refuse to buy into the whole texting silliness.  It seems that a whole generation of people have no communication or social skills unless they're communicating with their thumbs.

maybe I'm old, antisocial, or both.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 04:56:35 pm »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 05:18:06 pm »
If you're not good at texting and use the ABC mode, i can see it being frustrating and seemingly stupid.  I don't know but I love all this stuff.  If I'm bored I can read up on people via Facebook.  I've also been able to reconnect with people I thought I would never see again from my youth.  If I meet someone at a party or while out, I can exchange Facebook profiles and get to know them via the chat or via their updates over time.  

I wouldn't say you're old or antisocial.  Perhaps you haven't given it enough of a chance or it's just not your thing...  which is OK too.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 06:10:39 pm »
 :) I'm waiting for the chip in the brain and the rabbit antennas sticking out my head.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 06:16:20 pm by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 06:42:06 pm »
omg... I'd love for my brain to be connected to the internet

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 07:27:50 pm »
omg... I'd love for my brain to be connected to the internet

Given your post count I thought it was. ;)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 07:44:43 pm »
Given your post count I thought it was. ;)

Ouch.

:D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 07:47:14 pm »
If she only knew my cumulative totals from the dozen or so web boards I participate on she'd really gag

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 12:32:51 am »
I have never heard of the site really. But considering that I am hearing impaired, texting use to help me out a lot when I had my cell.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Roie

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 02:31:12 am »
I think that texting is the BEST mode of communication that there is.
It great for short messages to convey something when I dont want to talk to a person, but I do still want to be in touch.
Especially when I am abroad. I can tell people I am fine with a quick simple message. And hear back from them.
Its marvellous and most certainly has its advantages.
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Seadickrun

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 04:17:38 am »
I'm old AND anti-social.  If there are more than three people in the room, I become uncomfortable.  No one I know uses Twitter but everyone I know (except me) plays World of Warcraft and are in the same guild.  That seems to be the way everyone keeps updated where I live. 

Offline bear60

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 09:04:25 am »
I dont own a cell phone.
However I do own the latest AT&T touchtone phone, no rotary here!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:08:55 am by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 10:06:53 am »
I will add that texting in a nightclub kind of defeats the purpose of being in a club, with the only exception being locating a drug dealer.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 10:19:15 am »
I am glad some people use it, including my ex.. i am regularly cyberstalking his twitter page.. ;)
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 10:19:37 am »
If I meet someone at a party or while out, I can exchange Facebook profiles and get to know them via the chat or via their updates over time.

I have a friend who does this except he doesn't ask them for their online profile. He finds out their name, searches for all their online info, stalks them for a couple of weeks and if he likes what he sees makes his move.

Nope, no issues there!

Offline ademas

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 11:13:52 am »
I'm old and antisocial.

And crotchity.

I long for the old days--when you could identify the crazies because they walked around talking to themselves.  Now you just assume they're on the phone.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 11:26:30 am »
I'm old and antisocial.

And crotchity.

I long for the old days--when you could identify the crazies because they walked around talking to themselves.  Now you just assume they're on the phone.

Its nice to be insane, cause no one will ever ask you to explain  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 11:30:33 am »
I'm old and antisocial.

And crotchety.

My personal cell phone is a Star Tac. It has an antenna, a green screen and can actually receive text messages, as my nephews have discovered.

I use it to keep in touch with people when I get lost on the way to their home, or with my mother when I am traveling. It keeps her from worrying about me.

Aside from that, I don't use it. I have sent one text message to date. It took me about 10 minutes. I write in English, not the text abbreviations that are meaningless collections of letters.

I find texting inane, for the most part. People don't need to be in constant contact with others to justify their existence.

I can go for days without calling or visiting anyone. Well, if I get the chance, that is. I don't know what benefit being constantly in contact could have.

I guess that makes me old and crotchety.

That's OK. I don't care.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:38:25 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline 1GutsyDiva

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 11:37:56 am »
I know I'm anti social...but I'm so sweet.

I think most facts can be communicated without the fluff and unnecessary things can be simply be deleted without reply.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 06:32:32 pm »
I like to talk live and text.  I freaked my brother out when I sent a text message to his land line phone.  He received the personalized message that the computer read in a robotic voice and I said love ya, goodbye and my name. It was wild!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:34:57 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline fearless

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 07:12:06 pm »
I think that texting is the BEST mode of communication that there is.
It great for short messages to convey something when I dont want to talk to a person, but I do still want to be in touch.
Especially when I am abroad. I can tell people I am fine with a quick simple message. And hear back from them.
Its marvellous and most certainly has its advantages.

I'm not an avid texter, mobile user, facebook user etc. I certainly never text when abroad or on holiday, unless it is an emergency. For me, the whole point of holidays etc is to get away from where you were and to relax. I feel like I'm not really on holiday if people from my everyday life are in constant contact.

Facebook, myspace, twitter etc I find incredibly tedious and dull. And, I hate the fact that people I've not seen or heard of in 20 years or more can track me down - if i wanted to be in contact with them, I would be.

I went to a Conference on the weekend and the only interesting session was a talk/discussion by a Professor on languages and how 70-90 of the worlds languages are likely to disappear in the next 10 or 20 years. He noted, that for the first time in human history, the thumb is now a communications device.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 07:31:14 pm »

I went to a Conference on the weekend and the only interesting session was a talk/discussion by a Professor on languages and how 70-90 of the worlds languages are likely to disappear in the next 10 or 20 years. He noted, that for the first time in human history, the thumb is now a communications device.

ONE WORLD, ONE LOVE

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 07:37:03 pm »
He noted, that for the first time in human history, the thumb is now a communications device.

Bull.  It's been used to communicate "I need a ride" for decades.

(But for the record...I found beepers too damn invasive.  You can bet I'm not the twitter type.)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline fearless

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 08:04:19 pm »

(But for the record...I found beepers too damn invasive.  You can bet I'm not the twitter type.)

Yes, and of course you have been able to give proposals the 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' for centuries. But, i think you get his point.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 08:13:14 pm »

ROFLOL...........beepers, now that's really OLD SCHOOL, reminds me of the BIG 80's  ;D

now, you want OLD SCHOOL  how about a pair of Techins SL-1200 MK2 Turntables, and some 70's
Disco 12' inch singles, now that's OLD SCHOOL......yeah...I know, I'm old  :-[

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:30:14 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 11:10:33 pm »
Yes, and of course you have been able to give proposals the 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' for centuries. But, i think you get his point.

I guess...if he's just trying to ephasize how the way many people type has changed or something like that.  The thumb has, as you said, been used as a signifier for centuries.  It was even used on on keyboards - going back to typewriters - way before now.  All that has changed in that regard has been a shifting of the hand position.  And it's also been used in language - sign language, specifically - since its inception.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 08:50:27 am »
We still use pagers in hospitals, lots of them.  My boss keeps hinting that she would like for me to have a Blackberry and my reply is "HELL to the NO!" I finally had to get a text plan for my mobile because Abbey can't call from work but she can text, and sending or even receiving a text message w/o a plan was .20 each.

I hate texting.  HATE IT. Just press a few goddam numbers and CALL ME if it's that fucking important.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 10:03:04 am »
I am certainly old, (62 in Jan), but I do accept the computer as an inconvenience, and I have worn out most of the keys and space bar on the keyboard.  (my pink royal standard office typewriter never wore out, and I really miss that damn thing)  I still have dial up, because it really isn't important for me to see what others are doing in their lives, outside of this site.  I have a Tracfone, and don't use it for anything but talking to my sweetie when on trips.  I know it texts, but I don't care how that works.  The other day I even found it has games, but my eyes don't want to focus on the miniscule screen for more than a few seconds.

Now, do I twitter?   FUCK NO!!!!  I don't even know what that means, and furthermore, I don't care.  I can obviously see why Ms. Queen uses these wonderful new technologies, but for the rest of us, Hell no.  If you want to know how I am doing, ring my wired phone that rings far too much with marketing calls.  PM me if you are serious about a nice talk.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 11:28:14 am »
We still use pagers in hospitals, lots of them. 

My workplace has pagers when we are on-call. Actually the reason I bought a cellphone is because of having to be on-call and respond within 5 minutes. My coworkers and I were talking yesterday about having "pager anxiety". Pager anxiety is when you can't completely sleep because your afraid that the pager is going to go BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! any minute or that the damn thing will go off and you'll sleep through it and get the dreaded "Where the hell are you!" call. I've had nights when I wake up in a panic because I thought the pager had gone off and it hadn't. It is like having a bomb on your nightstand and my heart pounds like a drum when it goes off at 4:00 am.

I can understand why some people like to text but the twatter twitter thing baffles me.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 11:46:19 am »
I bet you would be "baffled" by a news aggregator application as well (with full audio/video podcast support) but I can dutifully inform you that it greatly enhances your internet experience.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 12:16:08 pm »
You bet correctly. I have no idea what you are referring to but I'm all for enhancing experiences!

(Hey Honey! Some guy on the the internet says there is this alligator pod thingy that I simply must have. Something about enhanced video experience, which sounds like better porn! Buy it for me!)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:23:31 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 07:59:59 pm »
(Hey Honey! Some guy on the the internet says there is this alligator pod thingy that I simply must have. Something about enhanced video experience, which sounds like better porn! Buy it for me!)

LOL!  Seriously, it was bustout loud laughing!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.