Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:17:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 218
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Side effect - constipation  (Read 7687 times)

Offline wondersy18

Side effect - constipation
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:37:16 am »
I just found this board and I am so grateful. I have had HIV for 20years, but never been sick with an opportunistic infection. However, the medications have put my body through the ringer. I know usually the problem people have with combination meds is diarrhea, but mine is the opposite. My lower digestive system shuts down and I get constipated to the point of throwing up water! Has anyone else experienced these types of symptoms. My physician has put me on a "bowel regimen", which is colace and sennacot. Talk about making you feel awful. Just wanted to know if I was alone or there were other who had this same problem.

thanks,
 :(

Offline fearless

Re: Side effect - constipation
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 08:06:00 am »
Hi matey,
I generally have the opposite problem - chronic diarrhoea, but every so often the diarrhoea stops and I become constipated and bog up totally for a few days. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd prefer the diarrhoea anyday. The constipation is really debilitating, the nausea, the headaches, the bloating.

I don't know of colace and sennacot so assume they are prescription meds. Have you tried Metamucil or prune juice. they should both help. Pure aloe vera juice is also very good at soothing the bowel. the juices made from crushing the hole plant are quite bitter but also have a laxative effect. the juices made from cold pressing only the inner plant has a much nicer pallatable taste, reportedly soothes the bowel but without the laxative effect.

Good luck
Stephen
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 08:46:48 am »
Hi there !

Welcome to the forums. I am another long termer. Was diagnosed positive in 1985. I began meds in October of 2003, but to date, have not suffered from either diarhrea or constipation problems.(knock on wood) Are you drinking enough fluids.

This link, from The Body, may give you some more info. Click below :

http://www.thebody.com/gut/gut_7_constipation.html

Takke Care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline doyourowndamndishes

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 09:13:34 am »
I'm right there with ya!!

I'm the only patient my doctor sees who has been on PI therapy all along and have a problem with constant constipation.  I thought it was simply IBS since he has no idea why and frankly, I don't want a camera shoved up my ass for them to take a peek!!  Since going on Kaletra (I've been off it for over 6 months now with no improvements) I have a bowel movement once every 10-14 days.  SOme weeks are a bit better with at least one bm in a week.  But me days of every day at 3:30pm are soooo long over!!

What meds are you on or have you been on?  Perhaps there's a common drug that I can look more into.  I've been poking around for a long time but can find nothing corelating constipation with arvs.

Cheers,

Alan
"All that we are is theresult of what we have thought." -Buddha

Offline BooBoo

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:46:11 pm »
Alan,

Only 1 BM every 2 weeks???   OH....MY....GOD!!!!!   It's a wonder you don't explode.  I couldn't imagine going just once every 2 wks.......you must feel bloated all the time.

I've never really had an issue with constipation.  My BM's have always been quite regular....by the time I'm finished eating my breakfast every morning I'm ready to go.

Jim

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 01:19:17 pm »
Happily I am like clock work every morning and that's it, done.  If you are getting 'impacted' there may be another cause other than HIV or meds.  Before I had  back surgery, I had serious problems and nothing worked, metamucil(a Walgreens generic brand helped some with massive doses).  But mine was caused from pressure on the nerves in that area not allowing them to funtion properly: since disk surgery, no problem.  Not suggesting you have a slipped disk, you would know from the pain if so; just thinking maybe some tests are in order to determine the cause.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 01:24:23 pm »
P.S there is one old time remedy that should work; drink epson salts in water, directions are on the package.  If that don't work, don't know what will...it caustions you not to do this on a regular basis.  It works like a backwards enama, drawing water from your system and pushing it thru your intestines, to put it simply.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline doyourowndamndishes

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 02:31:12 pm »
JIM, LMAO!!

Na, I have not exploded yet but as days pass I tend to eat les and less: just don't get hungry like I use to.  If I did .... who KNOWS what would happen to me!!  I've tried the high fiber, metamucil, mineral oil, olive oil, nuttin' seems to work.  Brocolli helps but I can't eat it every day for every meal...I'd just wretch at the though and I love brocolli!  I know my doctor will order the scope if he feels it's warranted.  I don't have any abdominal pain except once in a while if it's been a really long time and I don't seem to ahve any other "symptoms" of anything so I'm not too worried, yet.

Cheers,

Alan
"All that we are is theresult of what we have thought." -Buddha

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 07:54:44 pm »
What a crappy subject! I have found that good old fashion prune juice helps along with a large bowl of shredded wheat at night. Daily exercise helps allot as I tend to drink much more water, which also helps. Good Luck!
Positive since 1985

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 09:38:56 pm »
What a crappy subject!

:D  :D  :D at least the advice ain't crap (it's to crap ... or not to crap ... that is the question)  :D  :D  :D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.