Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 02:15:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 120
Total: 120

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 6 gay couples sue to overturn Florida same-sex marriage ban  (Read 7664 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
6 gay couples sue to overturn Florida same-sex marriage ban
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:32:39 pm »
 :)

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/1/21/florida_gay_marriage.html

MIAMI BEACH --

Six same-sex couples in Florida are making their voices heard by filing a lawsuit against the state of Florida. They join 40 other states where same-sex marriage lawsuits are pending.

The six couples filed the lawsuits Tuesday morning in Miami Beach, claiming Florida’s marriage ban violates the Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection and due process.

They are seeking to overturn Florida’s ban on same-sex marriage, which is something voters put in the state Constitution in 2008.

Equality Florida and the National Center for Lesbian Rights are the groups filing on behalf of the couples.

“This is the first time anything like this has ever happened,” said Michael Farmer, the statewide field director for Equality Florida. “We’re the first state in the deep South to file a lawsuit like this so it’s certainly a big deal.”

Similar suit claims have been made in other states. Many of those judges have struck down gay marriage bans as discriminatory.

“These people are loving, committed couples who just want the same rights and responsibilities as everybody else,” Farmer said. “They want to be able to protect their families and they want to be able to know that their home in Florida recognizes their relationship.”

Currently, 17 states and the District of Columbia allow same-sex marriage.  Attorneys for the six gay couples said they believe public opinion is different now in the state than it was in 2008, and judges are increasingly concluding the laws are unconstitutional.

A spokesperson for Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi said she has not seen the lawsuit.

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

Re: 6 gay couples sue to overturn Florida same-sex marriage ban
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:51:38 pm »
Go Florida! Hope the judge that hears this has a brain and a heart.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:52:02 pm »
Hey Ray,

Great news, however, I shudder to think how many millions the Republicans will spend to fight this lawsuit.  Bigotry is a hard beast to tame, let alone kill.

Joe

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:58:28 pm »

“This is the first time anything like this has ever happened,” said Michael Farmer, the statewide field director for Equality Florida. “We’re the first state in the deep South to file a lawsuit like this so it’s certainly a big deal.”

Has Florida always been a part of the "Deep South?" 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:08:09 pm »
The pace is picking up much faster than I ever imagined.  I remember thinking how great civil unions would be, never expecting legal marriage in my life time.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:58:03 pm »
C

:)  I think that depends on what part of Florida you live in.  I wouldn't consider the West central coast of Florida, or south Florida deep south( only geographically) although I have driven to places 30 miles north of Clearwater, that sure seem like the deep south, and may as well be in Georgia or Alabama. Rural Florida, is still very conservative.

I Think anywhere along the I-10 corridor may be considered by some to be part of the deep south. and some areas along the I-4 corridor may still be considered deep south to some.

We're changing down here, but still not fast enough, we got to get rid of the good ole boys in Tallahassee, get rid of this governor. And it would be great to get Alex Sink voted in to replace the deceased Bill Young's seat. ( 13th congressional district)

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/national/alex-sink-announcement/2149702

Alex Sink ran against Rick Scott, in the last election and lost,  because Scott had a gazillion dollars.  That special election will happen in March and hopefully she will win this seat that was held by Republican Bill young for over 40 years.

And Finally, Charlie Crist ( former Republican/Gov , turned independent,(( to run against Marco Rubio) turned Democrat,  ::) will be running against Rick Scott in the next election. Polls show him slightly ahead of Scott.

http://www.watermarkonline.com/?s=crist

But I'm rambling ...... :)  Got some work to do down here, lots going on !!

By the way, Florida is expected to surpass the population of New york this year ! Im sure that will happen, after the winter up north ! !  8)

Ray 8)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:16:11 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline zach

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 11:05:07 pm »
florida seceded before georgia, and the biggest rednecks i know live down there... yeah, they're deep south, just not really bible belt

Offline J.R.E.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 11:09:26 pm »
and the biggest rednecks i know live down there... yeah, they're deep south, just not really bible belt

You got that right !

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 11:16:06 pm »

When it was first a state only the northern parts were settled -- the southern part, now the most populated, was too swampy and difficult to get to until a train line was built. It's a big state with a big population now, but I think many people consider Interstate 4 east to west the dividing line between sane and insane. The capital is still closer to Atlanta than to Miami, and somehow Republicans have managed to create districts that keep them in power at the state level even though obviously the scales are more evenly based during national elections. And it doesn't help that liberals suck at going to vote for off-year elections and only have themselves to blame in states like this (Pennsylvania is similar in this respect, blue state with Republicans in power at the state level).
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 11:31:42 pm »

And, Not meaning to change the subject, but this has been making the news today:

Fla. House candidate from Pinellas calls for hanging of President Obama.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/1/21/fla_house_candidate_.html

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline darryaz

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 11:37:22 pm »
And, Not meaning to change the subject, but this has been making the news today:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/1/21/fla_house_candidate_.html

I saw that earlier.  What a nut.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 02:04:54 pm »

I'm sure the Secret Service will be very interested in his reasoning... or lack thereof.

Joe

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:59:32 pm »
I'm sure the Secret Service will be very interested in his reasoning... or lack thereof.

Joe

They already paid him a visit....

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/1/22/call_for_president_s.html

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:04 pm »
As these couples file this suit, Indiana repubs just passed a bill to put a ban on the ballot in November.  It is a shame they want to go backward, when many states and the federal government are moving and trying to move forward.  Huge Indiana companies like Cummins Engine (HQ in the town I grew up) and Eli Lilly are spending money to defeat it, saying it is discrimination and it will hurt their ability to recruit good workers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-15/eli-lilly-cummins-fight-against-indiana-gay-marriage-ban.html

Offline buginme2

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 11:08:02 pm »
Huge Indiana companies like Cummins Engine (HQ in the town I grew up) and Eli Lilly are spending money to defeat it, saying it is discrimination and it will hurt their ability to recruit good workers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-15/eli-lilly-cummins-fight-against-indiana-gay-marriage-ban.html

Don't these politicians get that?  If I  were offered a job from a state where my marriage would be considered invalid there's no way I would accept it.   Companies want the best talent and will go where they can get it.

It's very anti business.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 11:56:26 pm »
I'm confused by the whole thing.  I have wondered why more couples (including me) haven't filed suit.  Florida has 20 million people and must have thousands of gay couples.  But, I know timing is key.  Many felt DOMA and Prop 8 were taken to SCOTUS way too soon.  I suppose it must be financial issues, as well as just people trying to get to work everyday and not having the time or energy to file suit. 

Is there power in numbers, or does that not matter?  I am confused by the case here in KY, which will be heard by a federal judge.  The media portrayed it as a challenge to our entire ban.  But, I was reading the plaintiffs are only seeking to have KY recognize marriages performed in states or countries where it is legal.  They are not seeking to have KY allow same-sex marriages here.  So, I'm not sure when I read the judge could rule our ban is unconstitutional means he would have to rule the entire ban is, in order to have KY recognize marriages from other states. 

When I have googled, I find copy and paste articles from our newspaper, which didn't do a good job saying what can and what can't or may not happen.  So, if the judge will only rule narrowly on what they are seeking, then that would mean there are no cases that I know of here seeking to knock down our entire ban.  And, I thought if he ruled in their favor, then that would apply to all the states in our district.  I think that is Tennessee, Michigan, and some other state.  But, many have said that's not necessarily true.  I've also read that recent case in Ohio didn't apply to everyone, rather it only applied to that one couple.  So, I am confused how all this works.  I need to do more research on the Ohio case, because that was just one article. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 03:07:09 pm »
Looks like nobody has mentioned today's big news that Virginia's newly elected Attorney General just filed a brief declaring the state’s ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, and he joined two same-sex couples in asking a federal court to strike it down.

Keep in mind that he won his election by less than 1,000 votes -- down ballot voting matters, a lot.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 04:51:02 pm »
'Tis true Miss P.  and the additional "wow factor" to the VA case is not only will the state be siding with the plaintives, but the two attorneys from the successful Prop 8 SCOTUS ruling have joined the case.  Perhaps Virginia will provide the same-sex equivalent to the Loving ruling!

Ted -- I haven't read KY's ban, but these bans are generally worded to say ONLY marriages with one man and one woman will be recognized.  So -- if a judge finds that the state must recognize a same-sex marriage from out of state, it sort of unravels that entire logic.  I'm no lawyer, but that is how I interpret it.

Mike

Offline buginme2

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 07:44:30 pm »
I hope they get this taken care of in short order.  I've always wanted to get a place near the beach in Ft  Lauderdale to retire, or a summer place.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 09:41:05 pm »
I hope they get this taken care of in short order.  I've always wanted to get a place near the beach in Ft  Lauderdale to retire, or a summer place.

Summer is the absolutely worst season in South Florida -- have you been there?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 10:33:43 pm »
Summer is the absolutely worst season in South Florida -- have you been there?

Oh yes.  A hundred years ago during my more productive tramping  days my friends and I  used to frequent the bars and under belly of South Beach quite frequently. 

The summers never bothered me.   Everyone would complain at how hot and muggy it was but I think being from Seattle where it's always so damn cold and gray it was welcome.  I have  some very good memories from there.   

A lot of good memories of mine are from there ( even though I've never lived there).

Offline randym431

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 10:04:43 am »
Marriage equality favors quite well in the court room.
All it takes is a challenge to the state ban.
Ever since the DOMA ruling from the US Supreme Court, I am not surprised at all by the flood gates now opening and challenges to these state bans.
When the court rules in favor of marriage equality in Utah, followed by the same with Oklahoma, all hell will break loose nationwide.

And I expect the US Supreme Court will either get involved, and I believe they really want to, or if they do not and turn this back to the states, game over.
With so many states and courts over turning bans, if those state high court rulings continue, the state will have to live with the decision favoring marriage equality.
In a way, I kind of hope the US Supreme Court rejects hearing the state challenges decided by state courts.
Turn them all back to the states.
But I expect the US Supreme Court will get involved.

I think they really wanted involvement back last Summer by limiting their ruling when overturning DOMA. But no doubt they felt also addressing the state issue would be looked upon as an activist outreach. Especially since the state issue was not before the US Supreme Court back then at that time of their DOMA ruling.
So they ignored the state issue with fully expecting that issue to come back to their door step soon or latter.

By the time the US Supreme Court is ready to hear the state cases, there will be far more states where the high state courts have also struct down marriage bans.
So expect not a few but a bucket full of state challenges to come before the US Supreme Court when that day arrives.
For now, just keep an eye on Utah and Okey.
And you know all the republican congressional loonies in all these states will go absolutely total batshit after Utah's and Okey's overturned bans are upheld by the district court. That should be interesting to watch.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.