Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:58:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 225
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mental Health forum?  (Read 5790 times)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
Mental Health forum?
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:28:12 pm »
A new  -- or for that matter, long-standing -- HIV diagnosis obviously has enormous impact on a person's state of mind. More so, it would seem, than almost any other medical diagnosis. I know that issues of anxiety, depression, panic, feelings of guilt and shame... these are all covered and discussed in the Living With HIV forum. But I was wondering if it was an important and large enough sub-theme to deserve/merit its own separate forum. Doing so would "highlight" mental health issues and someone looking for information or support on how to deal with anxiety, say, could go straight to that forum. Or would that be overkill, multiplying categories and forums? (One could similarly argue for separate forums on Serodiscordant Couples, Dating and Disclosure, Fatigue, etc etc.) What do people think? And the Moderators?

lydgate
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline cubbybear

Re: Mental Health forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 08:01:04 pm »
I think you get all the mental health support you need from the living with forum.  I know the living with forum has saved me from many a dark moment in my life over the last 8 months.  I don't think it needs it's own forum though, but that's just my 2 cents.

Living with HIV.. it encompasses every aspect, including our mental well being.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 08:02:52 pm by cubbybear »

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 08:58:42 pm »
Or would that be overkill, multiplying categories and forums? (One could similarly argue for separate forums on Serodiscordant Couples, Dating and Disclosure, Fatigue, etc etc.) What do people think?

Hmmmm, well, posts often have overlap e.g. "Too Fatigued to Date" or "Neg in +\- Couple Wants to Disclose to Parents"

I agree with cubby bear

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 09:27:59 pm »
hi...

I'm not newly diagnosed but depression has certainly become a new and wholly unexpected part of my life.  I deal with it, like Matt (cubby) said in just opening up the "Living" section.  It always gives me a boost.

By the way, you're from CAnada, right?  I hope you're planning on coming to Toronto in August.  The dates are 18-21 although many people are showing up on the 16 and returning on the 22.  There is a seperate Forum section on the AMG meeting.  That should answer all your questions.

Hope you can make it.  Would love to see you.

robert

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:55:40 pm »
I have to agree with Papa Bear (cubbybear) and the others. I think the Living With HIV forum accomodates our mental health needs more than admirably.

MtD

Offline joemutt

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 01:25:27 am »
I think specific threads about mental health in the living with forum wd be the way to go, since the living with forum has the most trafic, so more possible feedback and input, my 2 cts

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 02:43:14 am »
I feel the same way Cubbybear does..........and that's my two cents worth.
But then I'm mental :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 04:14:40 am »
Keep the worries here, please.......it is nice to read cheerful ánd gloomy posts, I always cheer up from something nice after I read something heavy here!

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 07:16:33 pm »
I think it would be duplicitious.   and fear creating a forum would further fracture the forums... we already can see that in some of the forums which are 'less popular' and don't get much traffic, hence less responses, whereas the living with forum is high traffic and virtually guarantees more response and discussion.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 06:56:08 am »
Have to aqree. Mental health (pesky thing) is part of living. There are already a large variety of threads here in which the mind and all it's junk plays an active part. LOL

Just my 2 little pennies.  ;)
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.