Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:30:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 300
Total: 300

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ron Paul's Views On AIDS And Healthcare  (Read 5241 times)

Offline tednlou2

Ron Paul's Views On AIDS And Healthcare
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:00:21 am »
Just read and watched this here on Poz.com.  It is no shocker that Paul feels this way.  After all, many of us read what happened to one of his campaign workers who raised so much money for his campaign, but died penniless and without health insurance.

Something that struck me most was what interviewer, Chris Wallace said.  I'm sure it will stick out to all of you.  Although, I shouldn't be surprised by what he said either.  What he says shows how so many feel and think about HIV/AIDS and who gets it and who doesn't.  Yes, HIV in America does affect more gay men.  But from what he says, it would seem he feels that is the only group it affects.     

http://www.poz.com/articles/RonPaul_HIV_highercost_1_21710.shtml 

Offline TonyDewitt

• Standard
Re: Ron Paul's Views On AIDS And Healthcare
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:09:58 am »
Reading between the lines, sounds like this candidate doesn't care about HIV, never mind not caring about the people who have it. Obviously, vote with your lives!

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:54:02 am »
Well, I'm not American but I follow American politics sometimes.

Considering Ron Paul is steadfastly and consistently anti-establishment, wants to abolish the IRS and is an unflinching foe of abortion, is it really any surprise he holds such views on people with HIV/AIDS ?

There is a point where extreme prejudice crosses over to delusional lunacy. I think Ron Paul illustrated that perfectly with his comment in this video.

Since he's got his head so deep down his ass about HIV being a consequence of a 'bad and immoral lifestyle', I guess all the "innocent and virtuous housewives/girlfriends" who contracted the bug should be eligible for health insurance ? Or is she also a de facto whore, in his mind, since she's poz ? Not to mention all the innocent victims who were born poz or got it from blood transfusions.

I wish he'd enthrall us with his morally impenetrable 'health insurance eligibility' screening process   ::)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:28:06 am by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:09:18 am »
The judgement behind his views is repugnant.
However, looked at in the weird logic of that crowd:
You have to take as a given they are UNABLE to see the finer distinctions about sexually transmitted diseases touching the "innocent" who did not get them from promiscuity (his word) but rather from a partner who lies or does not know he/she is infected with a disease. Thus, they can't deal with the dissonance of the "innoncent" person who has a sexually transmitted disease.  (Children they could probably forgive, if the question is put to them...)
What is truly offensive is that treatment for this disease (HIV) is singled out as a financial burden on "innocent" other people without it. 
He is arguing that the market should set the insurance rates for everyone - based on these private companies' actuarial projections. Therefore he will have to STAND to accept the same projections on smokers, overweight people, poor people, uneducated people, etc etc etc.  A young healthy gay guide shopping for insurance will be rated a risk and will pay more.  As will a smoker.  Or the children of alcoholics. Or certain races with certain percentages of certain diseases.  If he is willing to go THAT far, then he is a true libertarian, besides being an ingrate.  People with diseases already. well tough shit. Public charity if you are lucky. 
But, I personally do not think an libertarian can say things like one group is "innoncent".  Its not pure enough for me.

So, in a nutshell, he is evil.  Really an awful, scary person.  Reactionary. Completely deluded about modern society, multicultural society, equal rights, and what a rich country owes its every citizen.  Crap. Garbage. Old white guy rantings.  Small minded. Hideous.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:15:24 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:18:18 am »
But, I personally do not think an libertarian can say things like one group is "innoncent".  Its not pure enough for me.

Morals are 'always' subjective and are influenced by cultural norms etc etc. And a virus has NO MORALS.

HIV doesn't discriminate between a whore and a housewife. Never did, never will.

This guy's smarmy condescencion is far more telling of his outrageous belief system than it is about poz folk.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:45:08 am »
Ron Paul has been a hateful, bigoted, evil man for many, many years. Check this out. (hat-tip to Aztecan for providing the link on FB) There's been plenty written in the blogosphere in recent days about his hateful newsletters - the article I linked to is just the tip of the iceberg.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline surf18

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:07:56 am »
you know i had supported ron paul for years ,but the truth about this old bigoted prick is coming out. he hates gays and for that i can't pull the lever for him at election time. and his anti aids stance and how he hates us with aids and he does. i hate the man and i d vote for obama before i ever vote for this old ugly troll.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 08:42:17 am »
you know i had supported ron paul for years

I'm amazed at how many people are suddenly shocked.  He a Libertarian.  I wish people (especially the young voter base that is actually voting for him) would educate themselves on what it actually means to be a Libertarian.  This isnt specific to HIV or does it have anything to do with prejudice.  It has to do with a political philosophy of doing it alone.  That means when you get sick for whatever reason (and he does say that) you deal with it on your own and not burden the rest of society with it (and for most people that means you die quietly). 

Those are his political (Libertarian) views an he has held them for decades.  Its amazing to see sooo many people support him who have absolutely NO idea what it means to be a Libertarian.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 08:53:20 am »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
I agree with buginme2. I'm soooooo surprised at how many of my younger friends and acquaintances are rooting for RP and think he is the change that America needs. Like McCain before him, I just don't get excited when RP speaks. I don't think he has enough energy or enthusiasm to really get to the bottom of any of our economic issues... and furthermore why the hell are these social issues getting more press than the obvious crumbling of the avg everyday working class. It's a sad day when we are more worried about reinstating DADT than solving our economic woes. Why HIV even comes up during an election time is mindboggling. We have many more important issues to deal with... unless of course a candidate realizes how much we need HIV medical care reform to make it affordable to all without bankrupting public funds.
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline bosco

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 09:09:56 am »
Hopefully as more and more of Ron Paul's true beliefs come to light via the web and in blogs people will stop supporting this hate monger.
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline ejwilliamson90

• Things can only get better
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 12:30:44 am »
well we certainly can all look at the past and scrutinize weather we should have wore a condom or really trusted our partner that much. Using "him, or his" and not neutral words is a bit insulting of course since one of the largest demographics of new cases is in Black women..... not saying that it should be "she or her"  but that it's a disease that affects everybody relatively equally, it doesn't discriminate on your sexual preference.  Also I have paid for my HIV treatment over the past six months since diagnosis with my two insurances, one I carry through work, and my mother got me on her policy so that i woudlnt have to pay copays or out of pocket for lab work , or pay the out of pocket for RX's. Not everybody is that lucky. At 21, only making 20k a year I'm proud that I can do that. But i'm grateful we have ADAP and Ryan White programs, it helps keep americans who don't have insurance covered, and healthy, and it certainly helps americans who may find themselves unemployed due to the recession, have some gap coverage, so that they don't lose  their ability if they get a new job to get their meds covered because of a pre exisiting condition. Not only that ,but giving people in the HIV community drug coverage drastically cuts the amount of transmission to new people. So in the end they are saving money. I like Ron Paul's views on limited government but I really feel like he needs to back the EFF off of medicaid, social security, medicare, adap, and other programs which have saved lives, and kept food on tables of millions of american families. I think this is gonna be another cycle of Obama in the white house, hopefully we can win back the house and get some real work done in the next four years!
04/14/11  HIV- + Diagnosis
05/15/11 Initial CD4/VL reading: 89/ 550,000
05/15/11 - Genotype Test revealed no mutations
06/01/11 -Started Atripla
07/01/11- CD4/VL 125/900
09/26/11- CD4/VL 183/90
10/20/11- CD4/VL  172/72
11/15/11- CD4/VL 185/82
12/20/11- CD4/VL 186/<20!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY UD!
02/10/12 -CD4/VL 175/70
02/14/12- New Regimen: Norvir, Prezista, Isentress, Truvada
03/05/12 - CD4/VL 203/30 :
04/06/2012: cd4 228 vl <20
05/26/2012 cd4/vl 253/80
07/25/2012 cd4/vl 249/<20
09/10/2012 cd4/ vl 294/<20
Medications:
Prevacid 30, Ativan 2mg 4x/day,Testim 50mg daily, Certavite Multivitamin with Antioxidants, Quinapril 40mg, Fish Oil 3/day, 1000mg Garlic, 2-4 G Carafate, Paxil 20mg, Dapsone 100mg, Norvir, Prezista, Truvada, Isentress.
PRN: Marinol, Baclofen, Ultrum, Patanase, Lidoderm

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.