Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:17:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 351
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question Health Insuranc  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Oh501sguy

Question Health Insuranc
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:59:32 pm »
Forgive me if this is not the correct place for this question....

Im a young 42, pretty much healthy and have been poz for 14 years.  That said, I work for a major corporation where I have been for 10 years.  Mediocre, pencil pushing job in a 6X8 Cube. 

I have decent health insurance.  Problem is, Im really bored with my job and tired of the corp politics.  I've often thought of starting my own business, not 100 percent sure of what, but my question is, IF I did this, what can I do about health insurance?  Im sure the rules and laws have changed since I last remembered them.  Will I be dropped from my insurance due to HIV?  Am I crazy to even consider leaving my job? 

Thanks,

Chuck

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
Re: Question Health Insuranc
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 03:08:49 pm »
actually (and I think this is the case in every state - I might be wrong though.), you'll be able to cobra your current insurance for up to 18 months after quitting.  Should give you plenty of time to try and start your own business.  However, individual insurance beyond the cobra period will become exceptionally pricey and may require an HIV test.  I know that here, in CA, if you're on a large group insurance plan, they can not deny you coverage - but might be able to POSTPONE payment for treatment of certain hiv related care based upon "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION" clauses.  It's a very tricky sea to navigate.  I would have a talk with my HR representative.

Good luck!

-joseph
in california

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 03:14:55 pm »
I went from an office policy, then COBRA, then a private policy in NY a few years ago with no problem.  I recall there being some law (not sure if it's a state thing or federal) that they can't deny you coverage for a pre-existing condition as long as there's no gap in coverage. 

I'd still go talk to someone at an ASO about all of this.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:20:55 pm »
I think you're right.

But if you just need someone to play nurse for a weekend or so, ring me up! :)

-joseph

Offline Oh501sguy

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 03:36:09 pm »
I DO!

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 03:45:17 pm »
Hi Chuck:
             I hope this helps a bit. A few years back, 2002 to be exact, my company closed and I had to stay on the Cobra benefits for as long as possible because finding full time jobs in Puerto Rico is hard as hell. More so permanent jobs. I payed a reasonable amount of cash during the time it lasted on a monthly basis. Hiv meds were not included on my pharmacy benefits (as usual). I don't remember how long I lasted on cobra but I did find another job about 1 month later, but as a "temporary" employee (Kelly Services). The time of my benefit expired but I was still on a temporary basis at this company. My monthly payment was going to go up "double" and that was if I was accepted in the same insurance. I did go to their office and was given an application form where you had to expose all your previous and actual health conditions and the doctors name who attended the case. All was well until I saw the hiv/aids blank. There, I was afraid of being denied insurance because I knew it was a disqualifying thing in many health plans. I was with MCS at the time. I was truthfull about the whole thing because if you lie and they find out, the plan will be cancelled for giving false information. Anyways, there was a "comment area" on the last page and there I wrote of my years with MCS (which had been about 11 years) and how well the insurance has helped me in spite of having another source of receiving my hiv meds. Sort of "ass kissing" them to see if I was lucky enough to continue participating in the insurance. To my luck they switched me from a group plan to a personal plan and I continued with my insurance in spite of paying them double amount of what I was paying. I think with Cobra I payed about $80-$100 a month, and when my plan went "private" I payed $190 a month. It has risen after that, but I don't know what the cost is now. I was made a regular employee at the pharmaceutical company where I work in 2004 and now have Triple SSS as my insurance provider but it still doesn't cover for hiv meds unless you pay a high deductable amount. I'm personally not too happy at my job ,either. But the medical insurance is what really keeps me there. I consider it to be more important than whatever can bother me at this job. We just have to be patient and try to make the best of whatever we have. Consider this in whatever decision you make. But do whats best for yourself because I'm not really in your pants to know exactly how you feel. The best of luck to you anyways, my friend.  8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 03:47:04 pm by Catman »
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 03:47:39 pm »

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
HIVers Don't have to be Slaves to Employers to Keep Insurance.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 02:43:07 am »
Hi. You're not a slave! Research the answer to your question in your state. The laws affecting patient rights  improved remarkably in Democratic-dominated states starting about 10 years back. Fed laws also improved. "Philly", above, has it right.

I live in California. You'd take COBRA (Fed Law) for 12-18 months then convert to an "individual policy." You might not like the premiums (my Cobra is $610 with dental just for me). Then at the end of COBRA you "convert" and leave the group plan. If you leave that insurer it seems HIPPA law covers no break in coverage and requires an insured to accept you without the 6 mo "pre-existing condition exclusion." I have done the latter 4 times. I have paid COBRA 3 times since 1990. It works, just keep notes. None of this should be affected by state, but you may have additional rights statewide.

Once again confirm that what I said applies 100% in your state. I am pretty sure you have good options. It's great to follow your heart, especially if you've banked a bit.

Let me get on my soapbox and say I think we should throw out this whole health "system", dump the insurers, make the government the payer, and extend coverage of one single-standard to all. OK, that's my 2 cents. Good luck!  8) -megasept
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:47:13 am by megasept »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.