Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 12:28:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 167
Total: 167

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV and stage 5 kidney disease  (Read 3244 times)

Offline mikekal

HIV and stage 5 kidney disease
« on: January 02, 2014, 09:27:41 pm »
I have been HIV positive for 10 years and in May of 2013 i was diagnosed with stage 5 renal failure. I went to the renal unit at my local hospital for 4 months and then started a 6 week home hemo course i now do hemo dialysis at home 5-6 nights a week. I am just wondering if anyone else on these forums have chronic kidney disease as well as HIV and how do you deal with both diseases.

Thanks. Mike.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: HIV and stage 5 kidney disease
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:32:46 pm »
Hi Mike, I'm sorry to hear about that.

I'm borderline 2 and 3. Right now all we are doing is watching my salt intake, etc.. Doc thinks Truvada might have done it but Im not sure.

Did you know you there were any problems before you hit stage 5 or did it just sneak up on you?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mikekal

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:58:54 pm »
My HIV doctor was watching the eGFR blood tests for about a year but my kidneys were hanging on in the stage 1-2 range. Then in January 2013 they suddenly dropped to a GFR of 45 he switched my antiviral drugs and one of them was Truvada. But it was to late i guess because at the end of April i woke up in the middle of the night with my lungs full of fluid and i could not breath. My wife drove me to hospital where my blood pressure was 280/160 and they were worried my heart was going to explode out of my chest. After a day in emergency running tests i was told my GFR was 9 and i had ESRD. I was in hospital for 31 days and they tried everything on me to save my kidneys but to no avail. They did a kidney biopsy and i was told that it was almost like a perfect storm of the HIV drugs and the virus itself attacking my kidney cells that caused my kidney failure. I am inquiring here because i am doing home dialysis and my blood work is great and i follow a strict renal diet but i am still very sick with no energy and i am fatigued daily. My  kidney doctor and HIV doctor are working together to try and figure out what is going on with me but i am a very complicated case obviously. So i just want to get some information or advice from any other HIV patients that might be going through the same struggles. Thank you for your response WillyWump.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:15:34 pm by mikekal »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:10:30 am »
Holy shit Mike that's a scary story. I'll have to make sure mine is monitored very closely.

I wish you luck with all this, maybe some one else will reply who has had more experience with these Kidney issues than myself.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:02:20 am »
Mike,

I am so sorry to hear what you're enduring and facing.  It is nice to meet you, but wish under different circumstances.  Do you feel like you have good docs, who are on top of their game? 

Ted

Offline mikekal

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:44:40 am »
Thank you Ted and a pleasure to meet you as well.

Yes i am very fortunate to have great doctors. My HIV doctor is considered one of the top doctors in his field in western Canada. I live in Victoria, British Columbia about 250 miles north of Seattle. My kidney doctor has been in his profession for 30 years and is one of the most respected kidney doctors in Canada so i have great care. Also because i do home dialysis i have a great support network of my home dialysis nurse, my dietician and a social worker that i am in contact constantly with them so like i said i am receiving great care and support.I am just a very complicated patient because of my HIV issues and my kidney failure and also i have suffered from depression and anxiety over years but i am in a good place mentally right now because i am trying to be as strong as i can for my wife and two daughters. I started a blog about my kidney disease and dialysis as well as my HIV back in August just to be able to write about my journey to get things off my chest. The blog has started to really take off with my family and friends following it as well as other end stage renal disease patients from all over the world so that has been very cool.

Take care and if you want to check my blog out it is http://mike2kal.wordpress.com/

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.