Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:46:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 160
Total: 160

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV vaccine to watch for in 2008  (Read 6599 times)

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
HIV vaccine to watch for in 2008
« on: August 26, 2007, 03:16:40 pm »
Hello everyone,

A Vaccine developed by the Western Ontario University in Canada could be tested on humans by next year.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/2007/08/24/4443990.html

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline LPinUK

Re: HIV vaccine to watch for in 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 05:37:08 pm »
Thanks for the post Justin, lets hope that something comes of this.

Laurence
Diagnosed Poz September 2003, Current Regimen Truvada & Sustiva.

Offline hahaha

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 11:31:29 pm »
This is the vaccine that lead by the Korean professor, Kang, who claim that the vaccine will be out in 2010. 
Now I am looking forward to .....
   1.  Merck Ad5 vaccine...  it may only be 30% effective, but better then nothing, and it may give us hope for interruption of treatment for a short period of time (God, I really need this!!)
   2. GeoVax (Emory Univ vaccine), which claim to make 22 out of 23 monkey survive for over 3 years, it just start its phase II clinical trial and is three month earlier. obvious it is very successful.....
   3. LC002 (dendritic cells vaccine), has been in phase II already, a good therapeutic vaccine candidate.
   4. Vaccine developed by a Russian group, which claim to kill HIV in spleen and now in phase I in Russia...

The damned thing is that I didn't see anything promising in Asia (esp, Taiwan, Hong Kong), wonder if anything will come to me when I am still alive...... :'(

Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline Yohoe

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:31:05 pm »
I spoke to someone who's father is a doctor who went to med school at Western.
(I am from Toronto)

He says the community is optimistic about this vaccine, and will be out in a couple years.
Western is one of the top schools in the country and I the outlook for this project
is very strong.

Advancements in medicine are only improving.

Here's an update:

http://www.fyilondon.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?x=articles&p=194168&s=health

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:03:37 am »
How does HIV vaccine actually help people who are already infected with HIV?
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:32:15 am »
How does HIV vaccine actually help people who are already infected with HIV?

Hi Egello

It's my understanding therapeutic vaccines are the ones that might help poz people.

You seem to be thinking of preventive vaccines, which would be for neg people.

Someone correct me if this is wrong.

Offline ronaldinho

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:20:27 pm »

Hi Egello

It's my understanding therapeutic vaccines are the ones that might help poz people.

You seem to be thinking of preventive vaccines, which would be for neg people.

Someone correct me if this is wrong.

In the case of the Merck vaccine that failed, i remember having read that there was the expectation that the vaccine could either prevent the infection, or , at least, help the immune system to control the virus after the initial infection, so that the infected vaccinated person would have a lower viral load setpoint and higher CD4 counts afater seroconversion, as opposed to an infected  person that had not received the vaccine. Unfortunately, the vaccine was a complete failure, as we all know. But the fact  that even the people who were responsible for the trials were not sure exacctly what to expect from the vaccine means that  vaccine development may have unexpected results, a vaccine that was designed to prevent, might eventually have some therapeutic effetc.

Offline hahaha

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 03:39:33 am »
Correct me if I am wrong.

Theoreitcally speaking, if you are on Haart and you have a viral load undectectable, then the antibody in your body will decrease to zero or a very limited amount.  In that case, when the vaccine injected into your body, you "may" have a chance to crreate a new type of antibody to fight against the virus.  However, the vaccine may not be that effective as those injected in a non-infected person. 

As far as i know (again, correct me if i am wrong) if you have HPV, and has been "cured" from the virus.  you may still have HPV vaccine injected.  However, for non-infected person, 3 shots is enough for, let us say, 10 years.   But for HPV infected person, you may need 3 shot for every single year.
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.