Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:53:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 459
Total: 460

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Progressive lipohypertrophy  (Read 18864 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Progressive lipohypertrophy
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:14:57 am »
I have read the Egrifta thread with interest, but didn't want to hijack it.

So, I started a new thread about an observation I have made.

My lipohypertrophy seems to be progressing, despite having switched to a lipo-friendly combo (Isentress-Truvada).

The hump is about the same, but my gut is expanding and I have noticed changes in my upper body. I have fatty deposits on my chest and under my arms/on my sides.

I first noticed them when I felt them jiggling as I drove over bumps in the road. I didn't think too much of it, until the other day when I was showering and realized there was a lot more flesh in those areas than there used to be.

I haven't gained a substantial amount of weight, I usually fluctuate between 170 and 175, so that shouldn't be the cause.

I have cut out the soy-based foods in my diet, just in case it is a reaction to the phytoestrogen in the soy. So far, no big difference, but I just began eschewing those foods recently.

To put the icing on the cake, I ran into someone this week I hadn't seen in a long while. As we spoke, he kept eyeing me in a very peculiar way. Finally, he asked what had happened to my neck to cause it to be misshapen.

:-[

I am wondering if Egrifta might not be an option for me. I also wonder whether my insurance would balk at the price, or whether I could afford the co-pay, based on what I have to pay for Isentress.

And life trudges on.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Progressive lipohypertrophy
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:57:15 pm »
I'm starting to loose a lot of fat in my facial area (in the cheeks & temples) but I'm not really sure if this is lipo or not, my ID Doctor tells it could be, but she thinks it's my aging ( I'm 54) so it's kinda hard to distinguish this, however, Mark in your case, it seems to be the exact opposite, this is interesting to say the least, and somewhat scary for me  ??? if your ins company will pay for this, and you really think that you might benefit form the Egrifta ,what have you got to loose Mark  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:02:42 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline hoosier69

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:38:34 pm »
In my own personal expirences with changing med to try and ward off the effects of Lipodystrophy & Lipoatrophy  it always seemed like these side effects would continue or even intensify for six to eight months before it would finally stabilize.  That's just been my own personal obsevation

Offline aztecan

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:12:25 am »
In my own personal experiences with changing med to try and ward off the effects of Lipodystrophy & Lipoatrophy  it always seemed like these side effects would continue or even intensify for six to eight months before it would finally stabilize.  That's just been my own personal observation

That is why it is so perplexing. I switched two years ago, but things either didn't change or are getting worse.

I wonder whether it is the HIV, the meds, or simply getting older. I will be 54 in a few months, so maybe its just the sands of time settling, so to speak. ::)

I am going to continue to steer clear of the soy-based foods though. My doctor mentioned it could be a problem if I consume too much of the stuff, and I probably was in an effort to get my lipids under control.

I am going to try more exercise, more vegetarian meals (sans tofu, etc., ) and losing another 10 pounds or so.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline denb45

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:03:47 am »
That is why it is so perplexing. I switched two years ago, but things either didn't change or are getting worse.

I wonder whether it is the HIV, the meds, or simply getting older. I will be 54 in a few months, so maybe its just the sands of time settling, so to speak. ::)

I am going to continue to steer clear of the soy-based foods though. My doctor mentioned it could be a problem if I consume too much of the stuff, and I probably was in an effort to get my lipids under control.

I am going to try more exercise, more vegetarian meals (sans tofu, etc., ) and losing another 10 pounds or so.

HUGS,

Mark

Oh Mark, you dear sweet man  :-* your way smarter than most of us here, all I ever was, was a dawg in uniform, and it didn't take much brains to do that, all I had to do was follow the letter of the Law, write a decent report, and show-up everyday, and do my job, the best way I could, having brains and knowing how to use them, in a man, is very SEXY to me  :-*

I'd like to gain 10 lbs currently @ 190lbs, 200 lbs on me due to having such a large frame ( 6'3) wouldn't look that bad on me, but the problem is, the more pounds & muscle I put on, the more my lipids go WAY up, it's a evil cycle no matter what I do  :-[
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:52:31 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline aztecan

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 07:22:33 pm »

Oh Mark, you dear sweet man  :-* your way smarter than most of us here, all I ever was, was a dawg in uniform, and it didn't take much brains to do that, all I had to do was follow the letter of the Law, write a decent report, and show-up everyday, and do my job, the best way I could, having brains and knowing how to use them, in a man, is very SEXY to me  :-*

I'd like to gain 10 lbs currently @ 190lbs, 200 lbs on me due to having such a large frame ( 6'3) wouldn't look that bad on me, but the problem is, the more pounds & muscle I put on, the more my lipids go WAY up, it's a evil cycle no matter what I do  :-[

Oh Daddy! A man in uniform! Want to show me how you use your PR24? ;)

The lipids are a continual battle. I envy those who can take statins.

Oh well, hummus anyone?

HUGS,

Mark

Offline denb45

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 07:30:10 pm »
Oh Daddy! A man in uniform! Want to show me how you use your PR24? ;)

The lipids are a continual battle. I envy those who can take statins.

Oh well, hummus anyone?

HUGS,

Mark

What would you like,  ;D  I have 2 of them  :D  someday they'll figure out how to get those high lipid levels
down, or at least not have it as a side effect  ;) that would be nice......

Offline hoosier69

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:45:54 pm »
Lipo is so frustrating!   I've changed the meds three times to try and get the facial Lipoatrophy under control.    And i think i have.  Currently on Truvada & Reyataz.  But then the Lipodystrophy takes off  and my legs have gotten very vainy looking.  although muscular because I do weight bearing exercises.  while my upper torso has gained fat in the pectoral & abdominal area.  But on the right center pectoral region I'm actually loosing fat like something is eating away at it.  throwing everything off balance.
   Was concidering changing out the Reyataz for esentress.   Same as you Mark but aparently that doesent necessarily work & I under stand some people are having the vivid dreams with that med like I had 10 years ago on the sustiva.  don't really wanna repeat that expirence.     what to do what to do.   Sorry if it sounds like i'm venting                      Kenny

Offline rd97

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 03:30:48 pm »
Hi Mark,

I have had the same type of progressive lipohypertrophy.  Since I was off meds for seven years, my doctors and I were able to try and pinpoint the some of the causes.  In my case, it appears the nukes do the most harm in terms of lipo.  As soon as we eliminated all nukes (and no PI's), there was a fairly drastic reduction in my weight and shape without changing my exercise or diet.  I was on Zerit back in the late 90's, and I believe it messed up my mitochondria. 

Am just completing the first month of Egrita.  No complications.  I have heard it takes about 3 months to begin to see results.  Will keep you up to date.  I am not sure what type of insurance you have, however, in my case, they are handling it through medical not pharmacy.  (Your doc will have to still go through the steps to get you approved--it takes about 3 weeks and the dr. needs to be persistent).  PM me if you'd like to discuss more.

I'm right with you on the progressive lipo----hope we can get it to decrease for both of us.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.