Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:28:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 225
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Basil cell carcenoma  (Read 3634 times)

Offline krakerjm

Basil cell carcenoma
« on: March 31, 2007, 04:46:33 pm »
Had a basil thing removed from my arm recently, let it go on much too long, but am ok.  It got as big as the end of a thumb and became weepy. had to scoop out a surface chunk of my arm about the size of an old silver dollar.  Has been slow healing and thought it was getting infected, but am ok and healing nicely now.  Thank goodness basil's are usually benign and this one was.  It was just a little pink bumb that had been there for a couple yrs, then exploded into something scaery and ugly.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Basil cell carcenoma
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 04:56:26 pm »
Hello Stranger,

I am sure the arm will continue to heal !! I had a basil cell on my left arm several years ago, that I also let go too long. By the time the doctor finished cutting, and removing deep flesh, I had almost 18 stitches around my wrist. Look as though my hand was reattached !! I remember looking at it befor he had bandaged it, and all I could say was "holy shit", all those stitches, for that dime sized spot !! The basil is less dangerous than the squamous cell. ( which I have also had)

The only thing one can do, is to keep an eye on it keep it clean keep it dry. It's good to see you again Jim, everything else going well for you?

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 07:42:34 pm »
Hi Jim,
Nice to see you around. I'm really glad that it was easily taken care of. I really miss seeing you. I've always had such a soft spot in my heart for you.
Great big hugs, and a buncha kisses to you old friend.  :-*   :-*
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline edfu

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 01:34:37 am »
I had a basal-cell carcinoma on the very tip of my nose.  Once it was removed, I needed plastic surgery.  I still ended up with a scar.  That gorgeous sun is dangerous.
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 09:53:25 am »
Glad to hear it was resolved so easily. 

I had one on my back and it took a while for it to heal.  Everyone should see a dermatologist regularly and use lots of sun screen.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline urbanwildlife

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 06:21:14 pm »
I am one who should stay out of the sun, but it is difficult to please a person who enjoys the outdoors and I am all about pleasing myself these days, (thank you right hand.!)  I too have had BCC on my forehead and my left shoulder. Do did a great job on the forehead, and acceptable but slightly noticeable. As for my left shoulder, I am not sure if the work he did was just shitty or I was to active as much as I restrained any movement, but I feel my scar is absolutely horrible.

Anyhow, does anyone see as this is a rise in conditions for people with HIV, more to the susceptibility to skin cancers?

Offline edfu

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 07:33:20 pm »
wildlife, I asked my dermatologist that very question, especially since he has a large HIV practice (he was the one who diagnosed my KS).  He said that he doesn't believe HIV has a connection to basal-cell carcinomas, that he sees a significant increase of this type of skin cancer amongst HIV-negative patients as well.  He blames sun exposure and the change in environmental factors that make sun exposure more dangerous than in the past.  He also thinks it possible that the use of sunscreens gives sun-worshipers a false sense of security. 

http://vvv.com/healthnews/dsunscre.html
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Jody

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 09:00:28 pm »
Good to see you posting again Jim and glad to hear the carcinoma was removed with no problem.

Hope Nish hangs in there for you and know that you have been a great pal to your cat over these many years.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.