Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:31:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 181
Total: 182

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Loss of job, loss of insurance, loss of ny area  (Read 12130 times)

Offline motherinneed

Loss of job, loss of insurance, loss of ny area
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:02:43 am »
I am never sure where to post my questions so here it goes in this section also
My son is HIV positive, he just lost his job..
HOW does he afford his meds without health care insurance, especially if he cannot get another job?
He will most likely have to leave NY and come back to NJ so I would please like answers to this from NY and NJ people as to the availablity of options???
Please help as I am stressed .

Offline ARMANDO

Re: Loss of job, loss of insurance, loss of ny area
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 09:33:09 am »
CHECK WITH THE DEPT. OF HEALTH IN YOUR AREA.IN MY RAEA IF YOU MAKE LESS THEN 1200.00 A MONTH OR HAVE NO INCOME THEY COMPLETELY PAY FOR ALL YOUR MEDS!!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 05:18:52 am »
Hello ,

Check out the link below. Scroll down to your state and area, your son will need to find an Aids Service Organizations in his/your area:

http://www.avert.org/hiv_usa.htm

Let us know if this is helpful to you.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Just_Need_A_Pain_Killer

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 12:19:38 pm »
too bad if he has to leave NY.. generous entitlements..

heres a link to New York ADAP..

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/aids/resources/index.htm

and heres NJ..

http://www.atdn.org/access/states/nj/nj.html

good luck.. and try not to worry.. Im a southern boy who defected to the NE.. you are fortunate to live in this part of the country..

Offline Just_Need_A_Pain_Killer

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 12:21:30 pm »
oh and PS.. you'll want to look in to ADAP+ (thats ADAP plus).. can help cover primary care.. check with your state..

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 10:35:21 pm »
oh and PS.. you'll want to look in to ADAP+ (thats ADAP plus).. can help cover primary care.. check with your state..

Yup, Motherinneed, JustNeed is right. The acronym for ADAP+ is APIC (in New York).

In New Jersey, I do believe it's named HICP. Double check with an HIV advocate in New Jersey

Here's the link for HICP: http://www.state.nj.us/health/aids/keepins.htm

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Re: Loss of job, loss of insurance: COBRA OPPORTUNITY
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 11:13:14 pm »
I am never sure where to post my questions so here it goes in this section also
My son is HIV positive, he just lost his job..
HOW does he afford his meds without health care insurance, especially if he cannot get another job?

Others have given you great information, partly from experience. I know nothing about those matters.

I will comment only on maintaining health insurance. When you son lost his job (more like a letter 45 days later) he must be offered the chance to continue at least two types of insurance, medical and dental. He has or will get a letter about this. This is called COBRA and is mandated by Federal Law. He can buy his COBRA, self-paying the group plan for 12-18 months (depending on how early he was offered insurance), after which they must offer a "conversion" to and individual plan. All of this is costly, not free, but I've done it 4 times, and currently on COBRA! It's easy, really easy, only you have to pay without getting bills (mark the calendar and the check book). And it's not cheap, like my $601/mo for health, drug, and dental. It's worth it.
I have always sacrificed to get, and keep insurance. I don't want money interfering with the quality of my healthcare, and so far it hasn't.
Like some others here, I totally oppose this "system" of costly individual insurance and unequal access and levels of care (single-payer single-standard universal healthcare is the answer). I put all that aside for my needs "in the here and now." If your Son can't afford his premiums and copay, consider taking a family collection to assist on a regular basis. If your Son can work, getting another job in order to qualify for good benefits (check to see that they are!) would allow COBRA to be nothing but a "stop gap" exercise in seamless insurance coverage. Good luck!  8)  -megasept

Offline PaulinNJ

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 08:31:36 pm »
I only just joined this forum, but I know you can contact NJ Buddies at  (201) 489-2900 or their  Helpline: (800) 508-7577 and discuss the issue with them. I have received HICP through the state of NJ which paid my COBRA for 18 months after I was 'let go' from my job ( in 2001 I applied for disability and after a time and lots of legalities, I was 'let go') and HICP eventually converted my policy to an individual policy. COBRA was about $400+ a month and here it is a few years later and my individual policy is around $900 a month - and they pay it several months in advance so you don't have to stress every month. Just send them the bills from the insurance company every month. HICP (Health Insurance Continuation Program) can be reached at (800) 353-3232. I wish I could help you more with services in NY but I live in NJ! May I suggest a wonderful group called Friends InDeed located on Soho (corner of Houston and Broadway) (212) 925-2009 - they were and are the most wonderful ASo and support anyone could ask for. I really suggest you call them and get some advice. I know they require you go to a 'big group' meeting prior to any services (don't worry, they don't make you handle snakes or anything - at least not your first time! LOL) but THEY ARE WORTH the trip and I have NO DOUBT they will be able to assist you and provide support for both you and your son. PLEASE let us all know how you are making out! Peace, Paul
Laugh often - the alternative ain't worth it!
"Ain't I a stinker?" -- Bugs Bunny
From 120 t's, shingles and high VL in 2001
To 1200+ t's and undetectable in 2007.
2010 remain undedect. and 1000 CD4.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.