Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:16:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 675
Total: 675

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Psychiatrists: Less Talk More Pills  (Read 6949 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Psychiatrists: Less Talk More Pills
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:59:16 pm »
Article in USA Today about psychiatrists being pressured by insurance companies to lessen talk therapy with
patients and just prescribe them pills instead.

Article link: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-08-05-psychiatrist-prescriptions_N.htm
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:24:05 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
Re: Psychiatrists: Less Talk More Pills
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:42 am »
This is something that I have noticed happening in the last twenty years. More and more Pyschiatrists spend fifteen minutes with their patients and then just start writing scripsts. I am having a problem with this very method I am on so many different drugs now that I am having great problems functioning on a normal level. It is a shame that insurance agencies have become the ones to control our health care systems not the medical profession. It is also a shame that so many medical professionals follow their rules and do not provide the help and support that their patients need. What a mess.
Peter

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 11:52:38 am »
It's somewhat common practice to have a psychiatrist writing your scripts with only a 15 minute session, and a separate person providing 45 min/1 hour talk therapy.  I know where I go that it's done that way because of Medicare billing, and in fact what's even more annoying is that I can't do both appointments on the same day, but that when I do see the actual talk therapist I must see them on a day when the prescribing doctor is on staff.  Sounds confusing, but I suspect that they bill everything to Medicare under the one doctor's name.  This is a low-brow place for us unemployed AIDS schmucks so I don't complain, as I don't pay anything nor do I recall ever seeing a statement regarding billing from Medicare.

But I'll also not that even when I was on private insurance in NYC when I was still gainfully employed it was done mostly in this manner.  Of course, the separate appointments/doctors makes for lousy, less efficient treatment IMO.  When I first began mental health treatment in 2000 my first psychiatrist did BOTH medication prescribing and hour long talk therapy -- and it was definitely my best experience.  I'm fortunate that my first encounter with psychiatry was with him and in this manner, but it's VERY difficult to locate someone who will do this as obviously it's a money matter.  This psychiatrist wasn't a money grubber I guess, and as he was Jewish we can see that known stereotype debunked :)  He was also gay, kind of cute, incredibly caring, and well versed in med interactions with HIV meds.

Bottom line though, while it's more effort I *highly* recommend combining talk therapy with the use of psych meds.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 06:37:55 am »
hullo Peter  :),
                      I know what you mean , I go to the V.A. and they are the same way . ::)

I have moved my V.A. care  to Saint Louis , Mo. they are much more in tune

with HIV / AIDS  patients  , I will now have the best in care , I have exspessed

my feeling with the Poplar Bluff V.A. . They do not handle   MENTAL   issues  very  well .

They seem almost ROBOTIC  ::)   after  4 years of " help " I feel no better .

My first encounter  with a Saint Louis PHD doctor of mental health made me feel like there

is hope of  over comming a lifetime of depression  :)

I also take a multitude of pills , and feel like a walking  Zombi ! I love Zombis  :o . but would rather

not be one  :D

I found the same complaint , drug doctor was NOT talking enough , I think they should TALK  :o

As for myself I tend to talk differently to different doctors  :-[
                                                                                     good luck with your doctor ,

Karl

" Live and let Live "

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:48:49 pm »
I know all about the Zombie thing. I feel the same way I do not function all that well anymore and that is frightening. i shake and have tremors. I know that keeping a job would be a difficult thing right now. But I really need one. I am working on getting a disability retirement and SSDI but it takes so long. I keep wondering if I will have to loose everything before I get any help. In the mean time I have suicidal thoughts in order to get out of this situation just to end the whole thing. I do not know if I have the ability menatally to start all over again. All these drugs do not seem to make anything any better at all. Now I cannot cry or emote, but I do have all kinds of feelings that just sit and make me worried about the future.
Peter

Offline Graywolf

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 07:29:22 pm »
I have to agree. I was in therapy with a shrink during the 70's who believed meds should be a choice of last resort, but that was before insurance companies wanted an instant cheap fix and not having to pay for someone spilling their guys hour after hour, "here take this domini domini thou art healed"

I watched an interesting documentary "Psychiatry, The Industry of Death" very interesting about the history of the practice, going back to drilling holes in patients heads to let demons out, lobotomies, ECT, Thorazine, LSD, etc which were the panacea of their times, leading up to the multi billion dollar psych med industry. Even the shrinks in the film admitted it's all based on pseudo science.
"If we don't learn to live as brothers, we will perish as fools" - Dr martin Luther King Jr

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.