Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:41:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 359
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: just tested poz last week.  (Read 5253 times)

Offline brenner

just tested poz last week.
« on: March 08, 2011, 07:47:00 am »
Hi everyone, just tested poz last week after discovering a nasty blue/black/purple mole about 3 cm long and wide on my upper thigh.  thought it was a blood blister.  turns out to be kaposi sarcoma.  I am really really scared.  today the blood results came out.  viral load is 262,000 and my cd4 count is at 260.  Everything is moving so fast...now i feel like i have more stuff wrong with me...sore throat, and some markings at the back of my throat that look dark and blister-like.

my doctor tells me that i have to start treatment right away, so as soon as the rest of the blood work comes in, i will have to start.  nothing against meds, its just that i have no clue about anything, and its all so fast.  and this kaposi sarcoma is flinging me back to the 80s.

mentally, i feel ok...the shock comes and goes in massive waves, but i feel ok.  I just dont want to get sick.  im 38 and in a relationship with a great guy who has been supportive of me since i got my test back.  that has helped, but i am still afraid.

on a positive note, the med staff are so amazing, and the other poz people i have met are so cool.  its just going to be a new way of living my life.  so let the games begin.  im ready to start.  if anyone has had kaposi, please let me know.  thanks everyone and all the best.

B
Feb 23. 2011  poz diagnosed
Feb 28.  cd4 257, vl 262400, %21
Mar 14.  start Atripla
May 18.  cd4 639, vl 690, %33
Aug 19.  cd4 583, vl 60, %38
Nov 18.  cd4 450, vl UD, %38
Feb.19   cd4 649, vl UD, %35
Jun 08.  cd4 524, vl UD, %34
Sep 16.  cd4 567, vl UD, %35
Dec 02.  cd4 592, vl UD, %35
Mar 10.  cd4 688, vl UD, %35

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: just tested poz last week.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 01:01:11 pm »
Treatment has so vastly improved as you probably know, chances are you'll be fine, even with ks.

Do you live in a country that has universal health care or if you are in the US do you have insurance or some sort of health coverage?

Most times ks clears up after starting meds. If you search on here for "ks' or "kaposi sarcoma" you'll find lots of threads or you can always start a new one in the "Living With HIV" forum.

Have you already started meds since the time you posted here? Keep us updated on your progress.

Offline brenner

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 02:30:28 pm »
thanks for your post....gives me some sense of hope.  will start treatment tomorrow.  will update you all on how it goes.  have to see the dermatologist on tuesday.  feeling pretty tired a lot, but am still able to function at work etc.
wish me luck everyone.
Mar 14.  start Atripla

Offline edfu

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:57:28 am »
I was diagnosed with AIDS in 2001, when I presented with two KS lesions, one on each arm.  My CD4 was 29.  After a month on antiretroviral therapy, my viral load went undetectable.  The lesions gradually changed color from pink/red/purplish to brown; this was hemosiderin, or iron.  After about a year and a half, they completely disappeared.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline brenner

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:36:22 am »
thanks edfu,

hope i have the same success as you did with the ks.  seeing my dermatologist tomorrow where they will most likely do a biopsy on the lesion.  am going to post almost every day to blog my progress on this.  right now the lesion is around 3cm in diameter, black and flat on top.  no pain or itching.  its right above my lymph node on my upper left thigh.  starting atripla today as well, so here is hoping to the best.  thanks for your reply, makes me feel much better.
Mar 14.  start Atripla

Offline edfu

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 05:40:50 am »
Haven't you already had the lesion biopsied?  Until that's done, there is no 100% proof that it's KS. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.