Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:10:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 406
Total: 406

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Confused....give me some guidance  (Read 13298 times)

Offline ruans

Confused....give me some guidance
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:15 pm »
Exposure April,4, 2011 with masseuse (sex worker) in Colombia. 10 weeks later On June 24 headache, neck stiffness, muscle pain, elevated liver enzymes, elevated Eosinophils (9.0)fever started high and then remained on and off for over 3 weeks, hot flashes, light night sweats chest/neck, thrush.On July 1 I tested positive or Influenza Type A and was put on Tamiflu; which didn't work at all; then doctor said it could be an allergy and gave me Methylprednisolone and 2 other antibiotics which they blame for the thrush ( i think is just hiv infection not the antibiotics) July 8 and of course didnt help. I continued having night sweats, etc. The fever remained until July 19, but I had some night sweats still in August, fast resting heart rate at night. Then, August 12 I started a Strenuous physical training i mean strenuous and not eating right for 5 weeks which I believe could have delayed my seroconversion. 2 weeks ago I noticed a small rash on my chest kind of red(pink area with lil bumps) which is still there right now; had some peeling skin on my palms which  i didn't care about until i read Dr Bob @ the Body said sometimes ARS presents with skin peeling palms and feet.
I have been doctors and hospital and have been tested for Mono, Hep ABC, X-ray, EBV; and nothing.
Tested negative Oraquick HIV 1/2@ 13, 18, 20, 22, 24, 25 weeks.
had a cd4/cd8 September 30 inverted ratio 880/1500 = 0.7 some like that THIS IS KILLING ME
HIV 1RNA PCR October 6 Negative.
I am confident I ruled out HIV 1 but I am concerned about HIV-2 Plus I dont agree with people saying HIV-2 is isolated to Western Africa when all it takes is a catch a plane and you can be in any country in a matter of hours.. i am considering paying $600 for a HIV 2 DNA PCR and see wt happens, b/c I really think I am infected since symptoms  and inverted ratio kind of confirm it...too many coincidences?

Offline ruans

Re: Confused....give me some guidance
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:27:15 pm »
BTW U forgot it was protected exposure...condom was provided by her and was not any known brand....just adding that Thank you Guys..

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:50:45 pm »
BTW U forgot it was protected exposure...condom was provided by her and was not any known brand....just adding that Thank you Guys..

Your protected exposure was NO exposure at all. Protected sex is protected against HIV - all strains.

You had NO HIV risk.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline ruans

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 01:53:55 pm »
Condom failuies do happen, and i had too many ars symptoms plus inverted cd4cd8 ratio???

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 02:00:08 pm »
Yes, condom failures do happen. But when they happen it's very clear that is the case because it ends up looking like a hoop with fringe on your penis. So your condom didn't fail.

You were protected. You are worrying needlessly.

Stop self-diagnosing your symptoms. If you have ongoing symptoms you should discuss them with your doctor. And nothing you have reported is in any way HIV specific. You are also busily misinterpreting your cd cell ratio. If you had a real risk, which I hasten to say you did not, the only test that can answer about HIV status accurately is an HIV specific test.
Andy Velez

Offline ruans

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:37:19 pm »
Thank you for replying..I rarely get sick and all of these symptoms seem abnormal 3 weeks fever etc.. Plus the inverted cd4cd8 ratio are just too many coincidences after the only sexual encounter i had earlier this year. Very scared bc married and wife is breastfeeding. Married 6 years and never cheated before..High price to pay.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:05:48 pm »
OK, I appreciate your situation. You have absolutely and reliably tested negative for HIV. You ARE HIV negative.

But it seems you are also loaded with guilt. You did what you did. Accept that, take a breath, let it go and get on with your life. Believe me please, that is best for all concerned. You can't give your wife (and baby) a virus you definitely do not have.

Get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline ruans

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:19:06 pm »
Gracias andy...I reaky appreciate u taking time 2 help. Still lil scared since thrush is almost gone but still feel it in my throat and have that rash in my trunk. This have been the worst 3 months of my life. Also lost 7 pds. Andy- arent my symptoms described on previous post very typical ars symptoms.Prolmged fever is not common.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:46:05 pm »
I'm not going into the whole thing again because really, you had no risk. Thrush is absolutely not an HIV-specific problem. And nothing else you reported is HIV specific. No surprise because there was no risk.

Just a big one for getting scared, anxious and guilty. Cut it out. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline ruans

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 08:34:32 pm »
I dont know wt 2 say bc when symptoms started i wasnt scared..But symptoms plus inrerted ratio which should be over 1. Anyway...Have u had anyone return 2 the forum with hiv diagnosis after 13 weeks or after being told u had no risk. Ive s3n people in forum contracted hiv using condom. Have u? Thanx again i might retake my cd4cd8 and probably hiv2 dna pcr. I really want to end this. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 09:31:00 pm »
As Andy already told you, you did not have a risk and you don't need testing for HIV.

Offline ruans

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 09:43:46 pm »
I am going 2 add a ? Can hiv enter through skin (i know the answer is no) and the reason why i ask is bc the scientists that claim circumcision reduces risk mention cells on the foreskin that facilitate hiv virus entrance..So didnt we say no to skin.....?.I am not circumcised and when put a condom on foreskin goes down and can be exposed with condom movement or when you dont pull out right after ejaculation which is one of my fears.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 09:50:59 pm »
It goes thru the underside of the foreskin which is a membrane.

Offline ruans

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 10:06:37 pm »
So that puts me in risk ..I took a lil time after ejaculation.

Offline ruans

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 11:28:54 pm »
My cd4 880    cd8 1500   have u guys ever seen such a high cd8 in hiv neg person?? I think it is a clear indication of hiv espfcially when adding night sweats thrush, hot flashes, mouth ulcers. Rash chest peeling skin palms, malaise weight loss...Everything in the books besides diarrhea which i never got. Thanx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 07:35:55 am »
ruans,

I deleted the post you left in someone else's thread. You are not permitted to post anywhere but here, in your own thread.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

You have not had a risk for hiv infection. Whatever is going on with your CD8s has NOTHING to do with hiv, as you do NOT have hiv. Your test results prove that.

If you feel unwell, see a doctor. Whatever is going on has NOTHING to do with hiv.

YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV!!!

Again, if you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation[/b], will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ruans

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 10:13:20 am »
I have been to dr, id, and tested 4 hep, ebv, mono. They dont know how 2 explain my almost 4 weeks low grade fever, and other symptoms. I wanted 2 ask why 12 weeks are considered conclusive when there is people in poz forums that took 4-5 or 6 months to seroconvert? And have u guys ever had a person who u guys advised as negative come back with a poz result later on? Can the ars rash appear 3 months after initial symptoms?  Thanx a lot.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 10:26:33 am »
Just because you have not gotten a diagnosis as to the cause of your "symptoms" does not by default mean HIV is the cause. The facts you have reported about your sexual activity have not changed. Nothing you did put you at risk for HIV.

The exceptions for those who can take up to 6 months to seroconvert are very specific situations which include longterm intravenous drug use, organ transplant patients and those being treated for cancer. Otherwise 3 months is the long accepted standard for a conclusive negative result.

There is nothing more we can do for you in this setting. If you continue to return over this non-risk incident you are going to get a Time Out from the site.  No matter how much you continue to be unwilling to believe it, HIV is not your problem.  Consider yourself warned for the last time. 
Andy Velez

Offline ruans

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 09:01:44 am »
Please read this and let me know wt u think..Terrified especially 4 my breastfeeding baby and wife. I had very high eosinophils-liver enzymes-neck stiff-headache-prolonged low grade fever-muscle pain- mouth ulcers-thrush- light night sweats  small rash trunk-hot flashes...And to 0.7 cd4cd8 ratio. I keep testing neg but i am concerned about hiv2 since there is hiv 2 in colombia. I have hsv2 which outbreaks in pubic area and read an article about how that area facilitates hiv infection. I never had so many weird symptoms plus abnormal labs..I just want to know 4 sure if i am poz and have my fam checked. All of the other differential diagnosis viruses do not match my symptoms. Been to doctors.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 09:14:06 am »
I am sorry you are so upset. It's all totally unnecessary because as you have been told repeatedly whatever is going on has nothing to do with HIV. Period.

And now I am going to give you that 28 day Time Out which you have been warned about. Don't make the mistake of trying to get around it by creating a new account. We'll spot that right off and it will get you permanently banned.

Despite your fears and despite whatever is causing your symptoms, HIV is definitely not your problem.
Andy Velez

Offline ruans

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 01:57:59 pm »
Hi, I am back after being banned 28 days.
I wanted to add to my post that I have HSV-2 and itoutbreaks in the pubic areawhich is notcovered by condom and recent research states that is the same  asnot having a condom b/c increases hiv risk 2 to 37 times. I also, found out that the route of exposure could affect window period. My case is pretty unusual since I used protection but my Herpes site is not protected by condom but in an area of sexual contact.

After my last post I develop anal itching (Dr said fungus, but not 100% it could be ulcers) ..just another symptom to add to the list, and I noticed my skin is super dry since I never paid attention to skin my whole like now is really dry and I have red rash..small dots on top of feet and ankles.
I had 15 tubes of blood drawn for testing any disease outthere and nothing, but my cd4/cd8 = 0.71 my cd8 are 1400 and Dr Holodiny in the Body says that is very typical of HIV-2 infection which also matches with 2 cases of hiv-2 positive individuals who posted in the body website about their seroconversion  and  how they testes + after 6 months. I am scared of hiv-2 infection since my exposure was in Colombia and there are confirmed cases of HIV-2 down there; and b/c I trust the  HIV-1 PCR 20 copies/ml was negative at 6 months .
I understand there is not much you guys can say anymore, but I had a few questions...
1. After 6 months can you be infected and have undetectable RNA 20 copies??
2. ID doctor told me totest agin in 3 more months and 6 . If I had a rarestrain or new..arent the proteins in the HIV virus similar and detectable by todays's tests?

Thanks a lot and I just never had 20+ real symptoms

Is just too many werid symptoms, real exposure with secual worker and CD4/cd8 Inverted..

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 02:51:57 pm »
Despite your efforts to prove otherwise, I am afraid that you remain HIV negative.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 05:35:04 am »
HIV is not your problem. For symptoms see your doctor. For your obsessive concern about HIV without cause I suggest you see a counselor or other professional to discuss what's going on. We can't help you with that in this setting. Again, HIV is not the problem.
Andy Velez

Offline ruans

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »
Thank you 4 replying..have appt tomorrow 4 what looks like an anal fissure....one of the few sometimes listed possible symptoms  of ars that i didnt get...bfore but I have it now and appeared at the same time as my rash on feet and chest.
I understand u guys can't do more for me but I have researched CD4/cd8 ratios  and esoecially CD8 increases and all u get is information on how Cd8 arevery specific reactors to HIV infection..I know EBV and CMV too but those dont match my situation and I tested negative for those.
How are new strains discovered...When people shows up to hospital with Cd4 of 20 or when they die due to PCP, etc?? Or do they still have some genetic similarities to the other strains and still show in todays tests??

Please answer..especially my last question..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 09:16:07 pm »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 03:52:35 am »
No More of just one last question. HIV is not the issue whether you accept that or not. If you come back again as if you have really had a risk when in fact you have not, you are going to get a 56 day Time Out from the site.
Andy Velez

Offline ruans

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 02:24:07 pm »
I wanted to ask..
How are new strains detected?

Do they show in regular test, or people has to get Aids and die before they find out?

Does anyone know how do they find new recombinants, strains?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 02:43:15 pm »
When someone has a real risk such as specifically unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse, all generations of tests in current will yield a reliable result at 3 months.

But as you have been told repeatedly you have not had a risk.

If you come back again about your non-risk you are going to get a Time Out for at least 56 days if not a permanent ban from the site. HIV is not your problem. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline ruans

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 07:59:28 pm »
Can a Genotype test help detect rare strains/subtypes?
Talked to a scientist at Insititute of Human Virology and he suggest testing for sevral months because o fall of my signs/symptoms and cd4/cd8 subsets.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 09:54:36 pm »
When someone has a real risk such as specifically unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse, all generations of tests in current will yield a reliable result at 3 months.

But as you have been told repeatedly you have not had a risk.

If you come back again about your non-risk you are going to get a Time Out for at least 56 days if not a permanent ban from the site. HIV is not your problem. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline ruans

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 12:40:51 pm »
guys,

I don't want to be banned, I just want to gather more info.
I have had very real symptoms, unexplained rashes, unexplained rectal lesions, inverted cd4/cd8 ratio and this is destroying my life. (been to Infectious disease doctor, immunologist, dermatologist, colorectal doctor). They never find a cause for any of my complains.??? All of these happened after sex with SW.
It is possible to have a UD viral load @20 copies and be infected. I believe I've seen people in the I just tested POZ forum with UD VL without treatment.??
Thank you,

Please answer my question...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2011, 12:50:15 pm »
Ruans,

Yes, people can have undetectable viral loads while not on treatment.

HOWEVER. Those people WILL TEST HIV POSITIVE on the antibody tests.

You do not have hiv. Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with hiv.

I'm giving you that second time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ruans

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 10:26:44 pm »
Just had a cd4/cd8 with 1096/1296= 0.84 ratio inverted 5 months straight after the night sewats, prolonged fever, candida, dx by MD, hot flashes, macopapular rash chest did not itch, weskness, etc... Why is it such a taboo topic heer to mention a late seroconversion or a hiv rare strain. I took a test in Colombia and it says "variations of HIV virus can produce negative results".
I believe that a little more testing should be done in people with abnornmal symptoms combined with constant elevated cd8 's and inverted ratios which clearly shows that the body is fighting a virus/pathogen.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 10:29:11 pm »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result,  or no-risk situation will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 05:47:35 am »
Ruans,

You never had a risk in the first place. You have repeated negative results far outside the window period. You have a really high, really healthy CD4 count. You're misinterpreting the CD4/CD8 ratio thing.

YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV!!!

I'm giving you that permanent ban you've been warned about.

Clearly your one month and a two month breaks did nothing to convince you - and did nothing to get you to keep working with your doctor to find out what, if anything, is actually wrong with you.

Every single symptom you complain about can accompany many other illnesses - not ONLY hiv. Your body may well be "fighting a virus/pathogen", but whatever that pathogen might be, it is NOT hiv. You have conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture.

If you cannot accept that you do not have hiv, despite all the facts pointing to your negative hiv status, then perhaps it's time you sought out therapy with a mental health care professional. There's nothing more we can do for you.

I'm giving you that permanent ban you've been warned about.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.