Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 11:07:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773457
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 412
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 298
Total: 298

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mr Obama and Mr Castro  (Read 11892 times)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Mr Obama and Mr Castro
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:05:38 am »
Have shook hands at the Mandela Ceremony today in South Africa BBC reporting.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Mr Obama and Mr Castro
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:21:44 am »
Fox news needs to have ambulances on standby today when Hannity hyperventilates .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:34:54 am »
Puhleaze, he's shaken hands with Ghaddafi, Chavez and is totes besties with Rouhani...why wouldn't he shake hands with Castro  ;)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:36:46 am »
Puhleaze, he's shaken hands with Ghaddafi, Chavez and is totes besties with Rouhani...why wouldn't he shake hands with Castro  ;)

It sends out the horrible message to the world that Americans have manners . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:00:58 am »
It sends out the horrible message to the world that Americans have manners .

Manners are good. Recognizing torturers and Human Rights abusers while alienating our Ally heads of states by tapping their personal cellphones is questionable.

Cuba and US have been thawing, albeit slowly, for years. I have no problem with this thawing in the least bit so long as it leads to human rights reforms in these countries, which Raul is slow to enact after the retirement of his tyrant brother.

Dispense with the photo-ops and get down to serious business

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:03:05 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 10:20:49 am »
Remember the time Dubya kissed and held hands with the Saudi ruler that gave birth to 19 terrorists -- and on the very same day that the Republican House formally banned gay unions.

My how times have changed.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:39:23 am »
Yes, let's compare everything to back to Bush. Btw, it's common knowledge that GW set back Cuban - US relations by at least 40 years. Which was stupid.

Look, I know all you people are giddy at the anticipation of swilling Club Havana Rum and toking on Cuban cigars next week given this handshake but unfortunately until old man Fidel croaks (or at least slips into the sweet embrace of dementia) nothing significant will happen.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:44:54 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:47:35 am »
Have you ever actually studied the Cuban Revolution and the US support of DICTATOR Fulgencio Batista along with his human rights abuses, or how US companies controlled majority portions of the domestic Cuban economy?

Now tell me, who wouldn't take up arms? It's very sad that your Texas right wing views have been so shaped by the elite-class South Florida Cuban emigres that have engaged in terrorist activities against a foreign state, and which the US has tolerated harboring instead of allowing them public trial. The US places Cuba on its list of "state sponsors of terror" while harboring Luis Posada and the late Orlando Bosch, both involved with the CIA and the 1976 bombing of a Cuban commercial airliner that killed 73 people.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 11:08:13 am »

It's very sad that your Texas right wing views

So you are in agreements with Cuba's current use of sham trials and imprisonment of people without due process, locking up citizens to lanquish in prison in unsanitary and inhuman conditions merely for daring to exercise their fundamental rights?

If you're so against these fundamental rights in Cuba take it up with your President and his left-wings views who stated he would not lift trade embargos until Cuba reforms Human rights.

hmmm?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:11:13 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Theyer

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 11:58:55 am »
So you are in agreements with Cuba's current use of sham trials and imprisonment of people without due process, locking up citizens to lanquish in prison in unsanitary and inhuman conditions merely for daring to exercise their fundamental rights?

If you're so against these fundamental rights in Cuba take it up with your President and his left-wings views who stated he would not lift trade embargos until Cuba reforms Human rights.

hmmm?

Supporting a better relationship between the US and Cuba does not mean supporting lack of human rights , abuses of human rights in those countries. Rather it is recognizing that polarized positions are damaging , that there are modernizers within both countries who will be strengthen by this action.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 12:05:34 pm »
Remember the time Dubya kissed and held hands with the Saudi ruler that gave birth to 19 terrorists -- and on the very same day that the Republican House formally banned gay unions.

My how times have changed.

Which Saudi "ruler" was that again?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 12:14:17 pm »
Have you ever actually studied the Cuban Revolution and the US support of DICTATOR Fulgencio Batista along with his human rights abuses, or how US companies controlled majority portions of the domestic Cuban economy?

Now tell me, who wouldn't take up arms? It's very sad that your Texas right wing views have been so shaped by the elite-class South Florida Cuban emigres that have engaged in terrorist activities against a foreign state, and which the US has tolerated harboring instead of allowing them public trial. The US places Cuba on its list of "state sponsors of terror" while harboring Luis Posada and the late Orlando Bosch, both involved with the CIA and the 1976 bombing of a Cuban commercial airliner that killed 73 people.

The right will never acknowledge the good side to marxist revolutions, the necessary corrections they brought to colonised and oppressed people. Because the party line. Because marxist revolutions have considerable downsides in totalitarian state aftermaths.

Having sat through dozens of hours of Cuban history and the entire history of Cuban film, its clear there were many advantages and disadvantages to the Castro-led change of that country.  But like the feats of the Russian space program, very little of that filtered into American public awareness over the decades... 

People love their binaries. Castro's Cuba MUST have been evil.

Anyway, its obviously time for the US-Cuba reconciliation.  We jumped into bed with China years ago, for economic gain and necessity.   
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 02:46:36 pm »

Which ever crown prince ruler was alive then.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 02:47:41 pm »

Did you actually say that with a straight face considering Guantanamo is in Cuba? Exactly how many Fox News enemas do you take every day?

Should I mail you my copy of "Overthrown" by Stephen Kinzer?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:09:50 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Theyer

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 03:55:48 pm »

Fred

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 04:02:10 pm »
Speaking out strongly for human rights in Cuba while maintaining dialogue/pressure on the regime there aren't mutually exclusive. You can talk to your opponents while being steadfast in your beliefs. We talked to the Soviets for years, while still articulating our beliefs. We had numerous summits with Soviet leaders while the threat of nuclear war was constant. In other words, one can talk to one's enemies while also being very frank in areas of disagreements. In other words, as JFK said, never negotiate out of fear, but never fear to negotiate, plain & simple.

Last time I checked, there aren't Soviet missiles in Cuba anymore, so there's no reason for us not to have a frank dialogue with them while simultaneously speaking out strongly for human rights. Both can be done.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 04:47:02 pm »
I am 100% behind a complete thawing of relations between the 2 countries. I think more could be accomplished by Obama inviting Raul to Washington and beginning discussions face to face, how hard would that be. Raul has already stated he is willing to sit down with the US and discuss "anything".

I just find it cute how everyone gets all giddy about a handshake. Do something meaningful. Btw, Obama didnt seek out this encounter, it was just "there".

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:10:34 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline buginme2

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47:31 pm »
It's not like he slipped him the tongue
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 06:49:09 pm »
So you are in agreements with Cuba's the U.S.'s current use of sham trials and imprisonment of people without due process, locking up citizens to lanquish in prison in unsanitary and inhuman conditions merely for daring to exercise their fundamental rights?

Okay, when did we switch the topic to Gitmo and Edward Snowden?   ;) ;D ::)   (sorry, couldn't resist the multiple emoticons)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 07:12:55 pm »
What would Crown Prince Fred think if he was still alive .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 07:18:42 pm »
It's not like he slipped him the tongue

^^^^^  Thanks Bug.  Best laugh I have had all week.  8) 8) 8)

Joe

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 08:31:30 pm »
So after yucking it up with the Communists, Obama takes selfies with his homies at the memorial....Michelle, being the proper lady that she is, is not pleased.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:00:23 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 10:38:18 am »
I saw this man, and in watching him something looked peculiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Apparently some random man was standing up there next to Obama moving his arms around and pretending to sign...Some in the deaf community said "he was only flapping his arms around"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/deaf-interpreter-nelson-mandela-memorial-fake-officials-article-1.1544251
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 12:21:03 pm »
So after yucking it up with the Communists, Obama takes selfies with his homies at the memorial....Michelle, being the proper lady that she is, is not pleased.

Oh really?

http://www.today.com/news/first-lady-not-peeved-says-photographer-who-caught-obama-selfie-2D11723566

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 12:38:06 pm »
I saw this man, and in watching him something looked peculiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Apparently some random man was standing up there next to Obama moving his arms around and pretending to sign...Some in the deaf community said "he was only flapping his arms around"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/deaf-interpreter-nelson-mandela-memorial-fake-officials-article-1.1544251

How does this happen?  How does he get by secret service?  You had so many world leaders there.  Many reporters also said the crowd was not screened.  Bocker, surely the NSA knew who he was...lol.  Kidding.  Seriously, this is concerning, to me. 

I was watching him live, and we were questioning what language he was signing in. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 04:28:09 pm »
For someone who professes to have voted for Obama twice Guilhermina sure expends a lot of energy on a daily basis trying to impersonate Laura Ingraham.

Offline mecch

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 05:38:25 pm »
I thought of the security nightmare as soon as the guest list started to be reported.
When this snafu about the fake interpreter showed up on my morning news review, I swallowed hard.  I mean really?  REALLY?   Really!
I'll just assume the security details of all these heads of state did their own detail scrupulously and assumed the South African government and/or the ANC were beside the point.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 07:17:03 pm »
For someone who professes to have voted for Obama twice Guilhermina sure expends a lot of energy on a daily basis trying to impersonate Laura Ingraham.

I voted for Gary "My next-door neighbor's two dogs have created more shovel ready jobs than this administration." Johnson last time around.

How does this happen?  How does he get by secret service?  You had so many world leaders there.  Many reporters also said the crowd was not screened.  Bocker, surely the NSA knew who he was...lol.  Kidding.  Seriously, this is concerning, to me. 

I was watching him live, and we were questioning what language he was signing in. 

Its crazy! Surely he was vetted by security???

Edited: Interestingly I just heard CNN address this, they say the host country is responsible for providing names of everyone who will be within the security perimeter to the Secret Service no later than 48hous before the event. The South African Govt did this. Secret Service hasn't commented, but one can assume they screened his background but of course they don't screen for professional capabilities (ie. can he sign)

They just played a clip of him signing the same thing over and over while the speaker was talking. LAWL
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:44:22 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 07:58:15 pm »
And, he's been criticized for fake signing at other events.  I am always perplexed by security.  I went to see President Clinton at a local school, in October 2000, when he was still prez.  I ran in last minute.  Secret service only had a hand wand and just did my everything below my neck.  But, I was wearing a baseball cap.  They didn't make me take it off or wand my head.  I made my way all the way to the barriers and shook hands and spoke to him.  Could have hidden a gun in cap.  And, I was looking rough.  I was trying a beard then.  It was bad. 

We went down to Gore's Nashville election night 2000 HQ.  Once again, barely any security.  Went to see both Kerry and Edwards and no security at all.  Shook hands with both of them. 

When I volunteered for Obama in 2008 and he met with us after a rally here, we did go through more security.  Brian was asked to take his shirt off, for some reason.   This happened after criticism Obama rallies weren't screening everyone.  Brian stood guard next to Bush at the firefighters memorial.  They did have to submit social security numbers for background checks.  But, I think he said they never screen him. 

Offline Dan0

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 11:52:43 pm »

*knock*
*knock*

'Oh...hello hypocrisy'

"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 07:56:57 am »
For someone who professes to have voted for Obama twice Guilhermina sure expends a lot of energy on a daily basis trying to impersonate Laura Ingalls.

Fixed.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 08:05:27 am »
I hope this reduces tensions and lifts travel restrictions, Cubans are totally hot.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 09:54:53 am »
Here's MissP practicing for when the embargos are lifted.. which clearly is imminent given the handshake  ::)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:11:42 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.