Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

36 Photos From Russia That Everyone Needs To See

(1/11) > >>

tednlou2:
What's going on there?  If the media wasn't outside the royal vagina 24/7, I may have heard more about this and the gay history there.  I guess I will actually have to research it. 

Has there always been a big anti-gay movement there?  Here, we see anti-gay groups using religion, usually.  But, from what I've read, most Russians rarely go to church, if at all.  And, there is thought to be a much higher number of atheists there.  I've always read religion isn't that important there-- the whole godless thing presidents and congressmen would say about them.  I do think people here use religion for cover.  Duh.  I have always thought the Phelps leader was covering for some gay thoughts or actions and he just uses religion as a means to that end. 

So, what is going on there? 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/photos-from-russia-everyone-needs-to-see

buginme2:
This has been going on in Russia for quite awhile. Putin has declared an all out against gays and lesbians.

Harvey Firestein wrote an oped in the New York Times about this just yesterday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/opinion/russias-anti-gay-crackdown.html?_r=0

The first paragraph of his oped is poignant

RUSSIA’S president, Vladimir V. Putin, has declared war on homosexuals. So far, the world has mostly been silent.

Habersham:
I read Harvey's piece yesterday. I'm waiting to see if one of the more eloquent or informed contributors pipes in.

WillyWump:

--- Quote from: tednlou2 on July 23, 2013, 03:25:06 pm ---

Has there always been a big anti-gay movement there?  Here, we see anti-gay groups using religion, usually.  But, from what I've read, most Russians rarely go to church, if at all.  And, there is thought to be a much higher number of atheists there.  I've always read religion isn't that important there-- the whole godless thing presidents and congressmen would say about them.  I do think people here use religion for cover.  Duh.  I have always thought the Phelps leader was covering for some gay thoughts or actions and he just uses religion as a means to that end. 

--- End quote ---

Religion? really?

Gay rights parades are banned in Moscow, There is a hundred year ban on them, or something crazy like that. In the eyes of the govt and police they were violating the law. People who think Russia is on the brink of being a progressive democratic type country are mistaken. Ptuin and co are trying to dial back the clock. Dont let them kid you, Putin gives tacit approval to the Moscow mayor to ban these parades.

--- Quote from: buginme2 on July 23, 2013, 03:30:05 pm ---
Harvey Firestein wrote an oped in the New York Times about this just yesterday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/opinion/russias-anti-gay-crackdown.html?_r=0

--- End quote ---

that's a scary read. I knew it was bad but didnt realize it was that bad

mitch777:
I watched a documentary last winter (don't remember what it was called) about how secretive the gay activists have to be to protest and rally. The planning and timing was extensive and they also had to come up with a plan "B" should something go wrong.
Even though Putin is a putz (to be kind), at least todays technology helps keep the spirit alive.

Those photos revealed pure hatred. Important to show the world.
Thanks for the post Ted! :)

And yes, Harvey's op-ed was scary!

Those in power in Russia seem to be 50 years behind the times. Unfortunately there are many other countries that fit the same bill. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version