Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:26:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 618
Total: 618

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV tango  (Read 4421 times)

Offline auspoz

HIV tango
« on: July 27, 2008, 03:41:31 am »
Forgive my rather trite analogy, but I'm in the middle of a tango. That's how my life with HIV feels at the moment.

I go to work and try and carry on as best I can. It's tough mysteriously going from being really good at your job to being really bad for a while, then ordinary. I wonder how I am doing what I'm doing, but somehow most of the time it works. I used to be the funny, exciting one at work. Now I feel like just another number. I love my job, and it's a damned good one, I really don't want to leave it.

Then I come home, maybe talk to one of the few that know, and get on the computer. Maybe I have to make that pattern change.

Then there's friends. Strangers are easy. But as I'm not ready to tell friends at this time, I'm glad I was always a bit quirky. My relative distance from people, which I was blissfully unaware of, has become both a blessing and a curse. It's helping me get away with being downright weird in social situations, and 'forgetting' to return calls. I know it's not healthy to hide away, but I just have a lot going on upstairs, and need to be alone for a while.

Then there's the mental tangos. The "if onlys" and "whys" and "maybes". The "OK- so now..." isn't there as much as I'd like, but it all takes time. Integrating therapy and clinic visits into the routine add to the weird sort of dance. I guess I just never envisioned this kind of reality.

Sorry to vent like this, just needed to get it out. My psych says the weird music that's constantly in my head is an obsessive characteristic. Perhaps it's just the new soundtrack of my new dance/life.

I think in some ways I'm getting better, and I'm grateful that I am physically well. Just confused by the new choreography.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Auspoz.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: HIV tango
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 05:39:25 am »
Dear Aus

I wish I had more time to tell you things will get better..but unfortunatly I don't right now, I have so much on at the moment..so all I have for you right now is a {{{HUG}}}

More hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:00:24 am »
I guess I just never envisioned this kind of reality.

Well said, Auspoz. I could say the same. I do say the same! I'm glad you have a psych; I do too. Most have tons of experience and they can totally help you figure things out. At first I was going to the psych every 4 months, now it's every week almost. Here's a hug

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 08:09:42 am »

Then there's the mental tangos. The "if onlys" and "whys" and "maybes". The "OK- so now..." isn't there as much as I'd like, but it all takes time. Integrating therapy and clinic visits into the routine add to the weird sort of dance. I guess I just never envisioned this kind of reality.

Sorry to vent like this, just needed to get it out. My psych says the weird music that's constantly in my head is an obsessive characteristic. Perhaps it's just the new soundtrack of my new dance/life.

I think in some ways I'm getting better, and I'm grateful that I am physically well. Just confused by the new choreography.

Auspoz.

The woulda, coulda, shoulda, will drive you crazy if you let it.
The only thing you can do now is to move forward, to find what helps get you through it all.
I can relate to a lot of what you said.

Good luck to you my friend, and keep us posted.

Lucas

Offline beenthere66

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 08:18:16 am »
Auspoz

I understand what you are going through.  There are times where I get tired of the same repeated advents in my life.  Just focus on the good things you have in your life.  You have a job, family and friends.  Realize that many of us don't have all that and wish we did.  Being on meds for a long time I also realize that there are some meds that can make you depress also, so always check on your meds report especially if they are new.  Start changing the repeated things you do everyday, start surrounding yourself with good people and you will start to feel better.

beenthere66

Offline auspoz

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:20:19 am »
Thanks for the support Jan, Allopathicholistic, Lucas and Beenthere66. I just need a bit of that at the moment.

Jan- thank you for the cyber-hug! I send one back to you.

I am grateful for the support I have here. Just keep trying to do my best.

Auspoz.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:55:06 am »
Just confused by the new choreography.

As someone who often feels that he has two left feet when it comes to the dance of life, I dig your post.  I suppose that's why I never graduated much from the mosh pit either literally or metaphorically.

It will get better as far as coming to terms with it. 

In the meantime, you are among friends.

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 11:49:57 am »
Hey Aus,
You're where you need to be right now. It's a place of great strength and insight. Whether you've worked hard to get there or it comes naturally, own it. Sometimes we need the uneasiness you describe to reevaluate where we are and where we might go. I suspect that's what's going on. I happens to me in my growth. The process is invaluable and not often clear for a while. So, keep doing the tango until you choose another dance. Just know that you're leading and it's powerful.

-YaKaMein
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline sprockett9

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 12:26:50 pm »
Aus, I understand.  This "tango" is driving me crazy right now!!!

I know, you all will tell me i need to talk to someone -- I know -- I just haven't been able to find someone yet through my healthcare...(yes, i also know that is just an excuse)....i have had therapy years prior so i understand the benefits...

I guess i have hidden behind walls of "normalcy" for the past 3 years.  Mentally I know I am the same person and have all the same great aspects to my life.  I am SO fortunate and try to be thankful for everything I have.  I feel stupid sharing this -- and don't necessarily know how to do it -- but will just jump in and hope you all understand...

Look, I get it -- I have been blessed genetically with a great bod and face -- I have done (and one coming up) ads for magazines, etc.  I have a "real" great job -- just do this when friends ask...I believe more about the inside though.  I am smart, have a great job and overall have my sh*t together...I am not really into the scene -- would rather be at a sports bar watching a game than a gay bar or club.  I get hit on all the time but I just don't know how to broach the subject so i just don't do anything.  Often they are people that know other friends, etc.  I am paralyzed .... I am caught in what anyone on the outside thinks is a perfect life and I hold this secret that shatters everything. My friends are starting to wonder what is up, I can tell -- I am not responding to any of the guys that approach me...

And many of the guys I have met that are pos have been screwed up in some way or another (this is NOT meant to say all guys that are pos are -- LOL i don't think I am...just the ones i have met - mostly online) -- whether they are sex addicts, recovering meth addicts/alcohol/drugs or just wacked.  H*ll, I don't even know where to meet a good looking, pos man...which I don't know if that is the answer...

I think I have pretended the past two years I was in control but now I am not so sure -- whether it is denial or what -- I don't know.  I am not "depressed" -- at all.  These emotions are different...I am an emotional wreck keeping it together with duct tape...I thank god for my life, i do -- i just don't know how to find my place in the world anymore... UGH!!!!

thanks for listening to me... :-(

Dean
Dean

Offline auspoz

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 05:06:34 am »
Hi everyone. Um not feeling very good right now. Just needed to vent somehow. I thought I was doing a lot better, and confided in a couple more people, but it ain't happening for me.

I'm ready for any advice people have for "moving on". Conceptually and intellectually I understand the concept. I wish there were some way to get my mind and heart to feel the same momentum that it seems others have. I was always quite shy, and I sometimes feel like I'm imploding now.

I know there's probably never a point at which one feels like "I get it now". But 'why me' is back and I'm trying really hard to budge it. I have therapists and anyone who knows saying all the right things. But I don't feel it within. I think this is being triggered by another lonleyish weekend, with a hell week of watching other people stand on the platforms I built while I was 'obsessed' with work, while I was gaining all that approval to compensate for having a pretty fucked up personal life. Stop the world, I wanna get off. And not in the sexual sense.

Thanks for listening. :-[

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 09:27:29 am »
Auspoz, one of the things that helps me is volunteer work.  I know you probably have a busy schedule, but maybe one night a week or one day on the weekend? 

I used to feel very sorry for myself (I didn't realize how sorry) up until a few weeks ago when I started volunteering at a homeless shelter.  I hate having to turn people away because we're full and I can't imagine being in the situation of not knowing even where I was going to sleep during the night. 

I also talk to people who are just like me-past lifestyle wise, current lifestyle wise etc.-who are moving on with their lives; learn how they're doing it, how they deal with things etc.

I try not to let things overwhelm me.  If something's getting too much, I step back and let it go for the moment and come back to it when I'm more ready to deal with it.  And I talk about it-exactly what the issue is.  Sometimes other people can see more into the meaning of why I'm feeling the way I am than I can.  Good luck and keep in touch with how you're doing.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 08:38:18 pm »

Auspoz.

"Into a Dancer You have Grown
From Everyone you have ever known
Throw some seeds of your very own
And the Dance becomes one of your own"- Jackson Browne
 ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 04:35:42 am »
Hi everyone. Um not feeling very good right now. Just needed to vent somehow. I thought I was doing a lot better, and confided in a couple more people, but it ain't happening for me.

I know there's probably never a point at which one feels like "I get it now". But 'why me' is back and I'm trying really hard to budge it. I have therapists and anyone who knows saying all the right things. But I don't feel it within. I think this is being triggered by another lonleyish weekend, with a hell week of watching other people stand on the platforms I built while I was 'obsessed' with work, while I was gaining all that approval to compensate for having a pretty fucked up personal life. Stop the world, I wanna get off. And not in the sexual sense.

Thanks for listening. :-[

Hang in there buddy you are not alone.
my therapist tells me "you are doing all the right things"
And i come back with "then why the hell do i feel so bad" ???
I guess we just keep pluggin along, and hopfully it will get better.
Try taking it "one day at a time" with one eye on the big picture so to speak.
I hope it gets better for you

Lucas

Offline auspoz

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 05:01:31 am »
Thanks for your support everyone.

I still get really angry at, oh i dunno, the universe and myself I guess, or at whatever went wrong. All of the above? And at the fact that my mind is not as good as it was. Not trying to sound up myself, but I used to be razor sharp- now I'm not. And all the other stuff. I know it's futile, but my mind just goes there.

My therapist tells me I'm a perfectionist. Maybe that's true. I know I'm being hard on myself, and I am not to blame. But HIV has put big roadblocks in my path, as it must for everyone, and they're hard to get around.

I have also just realised I use far too many metaphors as well. Perfectionist? Nah.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 06:59:54 pm »
Have you ever seen this movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliding_Doors It might help you mentally and entertain you at the same time. It raises questions but won't fuck with your head. The moral of the story is "life can turn on a dime and the future's a mystery"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.