Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:20:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 230
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Serious Question....Serious Risk  (Read 16031 times)

Offline dynasto

Serious Question....Serious Risk
« on: April 21, 2007, 12:38:33 pm »
Hello

I went to a massage parolor today and I have the following questions that are causing me to be very anxious and scared..

1- Before I started the massage, she gave me a towel and asked me to take a bath. I took a short shower (about a minute) then I dried myself up with the towel she gave me. I dried my penis very well with the towel without looking and inspecting the towel first. I am afraid that the towel may have had some seamen or blood on it and may have entered through the uthera and infected me..is this possible?

2- when I finished drying myself, I laid on my stomach on the massage table with my penis on the piece of cloth on the table..I also didnt inspect the table before laying on it...what if any fluids were on the table, am I at risk??

Basically, how long can HIV remain infectious on the table or on the towel..is it a matter of seconds, minutes, or hours?

Please help me...I dont want to be worried and anxious !

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Scare at Massage Parlor
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 12:43:50 pm »
Read the Lessons section here to learn about HIV transmission.

No, you don't get HIV from picking it up off surfaces.

It's a difficult to transmit virus that has to get passed on within the body- not from skin contact.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline dynasto

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:47:54 pm »
what if those surfaces had fresh bodily fluids on them??

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:53:20 pm »
I told you no.

Now read the Lessons section to learn about HIV transmission and stop "what iffing" the situation.

I'm pretty sure that if you were laying down in a big puddle of cum you would've noticed it...but it wouldn't make any difference anyway.  It is NOT transmissed by surface to skin contact.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline dynasto

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 04:15:05 pm »
guys, am sorry am pushing this...but I dont understand how I could not be at risk if blood or semen from the towel or the massage table got on my penis?? Is a minute enough to deactiviate the virus?? I am really worried about this....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 05:00:56 pm »
You do not get infected by environmental surfaces. This is the end of this discussion.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 05:39:46 pm »
Instead of refuting the answers you're given, which are well grounded in HIV science, how about reading the lessons on transmission and testing and getting down with that information?

There's a link to them in Welcome thread which opens this section.

None of this is mysterious. HIV is a fragile virus. It requires a very friendly environment in which it can be transmitted through bodily fluids. Neither a table top nor a towel is such an environment. A vagina or an anus and very rarely a mouth provide such a setting.

Now, read the lessons!

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline dynasto

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 06:24:57 am »
thanks for all your replies...the reason I am anxious over this is that about 4 weeks ago I had a condom failiure with a sex worker. I tested after 3 weeks with an antigen-antibody test and it came back negative. The doctor told me that he is sure that this test is conclusive enough but if I needed further re-assurement I should test again after 3 weeks (6 weeks in total) but he didnt think it was necessary. So now this incident happened yesterday and I dont want to start thw window period again !

what do u guys think about what my doctor told me...can I leave both incidents behind me and get on with my life??

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 06:47:42 am »
dyn,

What, exactly, do you mean by "condom failure"? If you mean the condom broke and your penis was inside her without the condom covering the head of your penis, then you need to test out to three months for a conclusive result. The only thing the three week test really tells you is that you were negative before the condom failure.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, so a six week negative result is unlikely to change, but needs to be confirmed at the three month point.

You do NOT need to re-start your window period after your massage incident. As you have been told, hiv is NOT transmitted in that manner.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dynasto

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:11:49 am »
I am back again as I cant keep this out of my mind. I know that the virus directly dies on contact with air but I am afraid because the towel was folded so the inside portions of it where not on contact with the air like the outside portions so the virus would have survived there and infected me ! Are you guys sure that there is no risk in this??? I am really sorry but am too anxious to do anything

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 07:30:09 am »
Give us a break. Why in the world would we give you false information? Seek the help of a mental health professional. You have shown that we can not be of any help to you. Good luck.

Offline dynasto

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 07:39:32 am »
I am not saying that you are giving me false information...I just need re-assurance...I dont really understand how infectioius fluids on a towel will not transmit HIV if they come in contact with the head of my penis..is it theoratically possible?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 07:44:52 am »
Even when a man has unprotected intercourse it is not easy for HIV to enter through the urethra.

It just doesn't happen when semen or blood is on another surface unless you are sitting there with a tiny funnel and having it freshly poured from the other person right into your urethra.

Was that the circumstance you were in? No, I didn't think so. And I haven't even gotten into how fragile HIV is when it hits the air.

Give it up and get on with your life. And if you can't get over it then as Rod suggested, you need to talk with a counselor or other professional to discuss the emotional aspects of this problem.
Andy Velez

Offline dynasto

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 07:53:23 am »
Thanks Andy, Ann, Rapidrod, thunter34 for your support...I will trust your assessment since you obviously are much more knowledgable than me in this field...I will put this behind me and get tested in two weeks time for the condom failure incident earlier..

God Bless you all

Offline dynasto

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 02:22:29 am »
I have a different question. Why do u guys say that eating food with blood or semen on it is not risky while there has been cases of HIV transmission from giving a blowjob? What is the difference between the 2 cases?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 03:08:54 am »
dynasto, if you don't know the difference between eating a sandwitch and giving a blowjob, then bud, hang it up. You don't need to be having sex. Read the lesson section on transmission.

Offline tripoli

Serious Question....Serious Risk
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 04:30:23 am »
Hello

I know what I did was stupid but please hear me out and advise...I have some vacutainer needles at my house. Sometimes when I want to do my diabetes test and I cant find the needles to draw blood I use those. Two days ago, some friend of mine where at my house and they were playing with one of those needles and poking themselves with them and they drew blood from one of the guys..then they put the cap back on and returned the needle to the drawer. Today, by mistake, I used the same needle to draw blood from my finger. Now I am petrefied and scared...was I at risk? I used the needle two days after my friends used it.....am I at risk? should I start PEP?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Serious Question....Serious Risk
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 04:33:57 am »
tripoli,

Can I ask why you are using different usernames while posting to our forums? Thus far, you have also used dynasto

Please realize that this kind of activity is disrespectful of other forum members, as well as our moderators. People spend a considerable amount of time helping others in these forums. Using multiple accounts is at the very least annoying, if not deceiving and disrespectful of others. It is also against our Terms of Membership which you agreed to when you became a member. This information is also contained within the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now. So really, you have no excuse.

You must realize that the answers won't change, no matter how many names you post under.

I would appreciate a reply to this message, and I hope you will commit to using just one account - preferably your original one. If not, you will be banned from further access to the forums.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tripoli

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 04:42:05 am »
hello Ann....I actually forgot my username...I didnt mean to break the rules of the forum as I really dont t have a reason to.If I remembered my original username I would have used it to log on coz this question is different from the ones I asked before and now I really consider myself at risk.

Can you please comment on my exposure?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 04:52:45 am »
trip,

Now that you know your original username, I need you to return to using it. I have merged your threads and will disable your new account.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dynasto

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 03:00:31 pm »
Ann,

I have been trying to remember the password or the email that I had for my user name for a long time but I just managed to remember it !

Anyway, I will re-post my exposure

"Hello

I know what I did was stupid but please hear me out and advise...I have some vacutainer needles at my house. Sometimes when I want to do my diabetes test and I cant find the needles to draw blood I use those. Two days ago, some friend of mine where at my house and they were playing with one of those needles and poking themselves with them and they drew blood from one of the guys..then they put the cap back on and returned the needle to the drawer. Today, by mistake, I used the same needle to draw blood from my finger. Now I am petrefied and scared...was I at risk? I used the needle two days after my friends used it.....am I at risk? should I start PEP?"

Can anybody please help me...I am really afraid this time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 03:24:04 pm »
dyn,

You let your mates play with your needles? While you were not at risk for hiv infection in this needle incident, you may have been at risk for hep C. This is not a hep C website so if you're worried about hep C, that's something to take up with the doctor who monitors your diabetes.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dynasto

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 03:32:33 pm »
so Ann, u dont think I need PEP for this? I am so angry at myself for allowing this to happen...Do u think that 2-3 days are enough for HIV in the needle to be de-activated? I am at the low risk group or no risk for HIV?

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 04:07:11 pm »
dyn,

You let your mates play with your needles? While you were not at risk for hiv infection in this needle incident, you may have been at risk for hep C. This is not a hep C website so if you're worried about hep C, that's something to take up with the doctor who monitors your diabetes.

Ann

Dy-
Ann said clearly that you were not at risk for HIV infection...

so Ann, u dont think I need PEP for this? I am so angry at myself for allowing this to happen...Do u think that 2-3 days are enough for HIV in the needle to be de-activated? I am at the low risk group or no risk for HIV?
...not "low risk".

Trust the advice given here. We know our shit.

Brent
(Who trusts Ann on everything, except maybe her Lasagna recipe)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline dynasto

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »
Ann, Bucko.....thanks a lot for your replies..

but I have read that hollow bore needle sticks are the highest risk activities...that is why I am scared. How come you guys see this as no risk? Thanks a lot

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 05:41:08 pm »
dynasto, I guess you didn't understand the reason given to you at MedHelp, why PEP wasn't necessary and it wasn't a risk. 

Offline dynasto

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 06:04:42 pm »
well rapidrod, I am trying but nobody is giving me reasons....all I am getting that it is no risk while everywhere on the net, I read that the virus survives for a long time in the hollow bore needle..I am not doubting your answers, but I am worried...mainly because I acted so stupidly...I am just trying to understand so I can put this behind me

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 06:24:18 pm »
You did not stick a vein nor did you inject anything into a vein you just poked yourself. There is no risk.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 06:34:43 pm »
all I am getting that it is no risk while everywhere on the net, I read that the virus survives for a long time in the hollow bore needle.

Well "everywhere on the net" is wrong. HIV does not survive for a long time in a hollow bore needle. I agree with everyone else, this not an HIV risk situation.

Honey, if you don't like the answers you're getting here your free to go elsewhere.

MtD

Offline dynasto

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 02:57:44 am »
how long will the virus be viable and infectious in the hollow bore needle. Are we talking about hours or days?

Offline dynasto

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 04:46:17 pm »
how long will the virus be viable and infectious in the hollow bore needle. Are we talking about hours or days?

can anybody please answer me...I am really anxious

Offline dynasto

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 04:57:35 am »
I woke up today with a sore throat and a huge canker sore in my mouth....now I am totally freaked out....could these be the seroconversion symptoms??

Offline dynasto

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2007, 07:28:52 am »
Ann, Andy, please aanswer my questions..I am really scared over this...is 2 days enough to de-activate the virus? How does this differ from needle sharing?? Was I really at no risk?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2007, 07:46:30 am »
Dynasto,

You were not at risk for hiv infection. Really. If you were, we'd tell you for certain. We don't want people walking around with undiagnosed hiv infection.

Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with hiv infection. Please see your doctor if you are worried about your symptoms - we cannot diagnose you here. All we can tell you is that this was not an hiv concern.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dynasto

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2007, 11:36:10 am »
Ann, thanks a lot for your reply...I have read in many of your replies that HIV transmission among IV drug users is common because they needles are shared immediately...the time span between the time I used the needle and the time were my friends poked each other with it was about 2-3 days...is it safe to say that the virus will not be active given that time span?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2007, 12:05:58 pm »
You did not inject anything in your body. You poked your finger. You didn't have a risk.

Offline dynasto

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2007, 12:17:26 pm »
yeah, I didnt inject anything coz it was not a syringe but just a vacutainer needle so there was no way to inject any fluids...but it took me some time to be able to draw blood from my finger using the needle...the needle actually spent some time in my finger...it wasnt like a fast poke and that is why am afraid

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2007, 01:40:59 pm »
It wasn't like embedding the needle into your finger either.

Offline dynasto

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 10:25:06 am »
what would it have taken to make infection possible?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 03:10:52 pm »
dyn,

If your friend took a syringe and drew some of his blood up into it, then you took the syringe from him and inserted it into your vein and injected his blood into your body, then, provided he was hiv positive to begin with, you may become infected. May.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.