Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:34:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 523
Total: 526

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Take With Food: A Must?  (Read 6717 times)

Offline LordBerners

Take With Food: A Must?
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:44:32 pm »
I take tenofovir, reyetaz, abacavir, and norvir, some of which are suppose to be taken with a meal (I think the norvir especially?). 

I've been very good at keeping the dosing time about the same every day - within an hour - but I have not been able to have a meal every time.  How much will failing to fulfil the meal requirement once in a while hurt the effectiveness of my treatment?
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline BM

Re: Take With Food: A Must?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:27:04 pm »
Only the abacavir in your list has no food restrictions: the rest have to be taken with food - at the very least a "substantial snack". If you don't take your medication with food, you might not absorb enough of your drugs, leading to possible resistance and viral rebound.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 04:32:37 pm by BM »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:27:24 pm »
Only the abacavir in your list has no food restrictions

Hello,

Tenofovir ( Viread) also has no food restrictions, so that can be taken with or without food. I am not familiar with Reyetaz or Norvir. But if some food is required for those, you should probably try to eat something as BM suggested..Even if it is just a snack.

Take care---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BM

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 08:24:18 am »
Tenofovir ( Viread) also has no food restrictions, so that can be taken with or without food.

The information slip that comes with my tenofovir says that it should be taken with food. Maybe the advice is different depending where you are?

Offline bufguy

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:36:05 am »
Tenofovir is one of the ingredients in atripla, and they recommend you don't take atripla with food because of the extra absorption of efavirenz into the blood with food.
5/29/08 confirmed HIV+
6/23/08 Vl 47500  CD4 511/29% CD8 .60
start atripla
8/1/08 Vl 130  CD4 667/31% CD8 .70
9/18/08 Vl un  CD4 not tested
12/19/08 Vl un CD4 723/32% CD8 .80
4/3/09 Vl un CD4 615/36% CD8  .98
8/7/09 vl un CD4 689/35% CD8 .9
12/11/09 vl un CD4 712/38% CD8 .89
4/9/10 vl un CD4 796/39% CD8 1.0
8/20/10 vl un CD4 787/38% CD8 1.0
4/6/10 vl un CD4 865/35% CD8 .9
8/16/10 vl un CD4 924/37% CD8 1.0
12/23/10 vl un CD4 1006/35% CD8 .9
5/2/10 vl un CD4 1040/39% CD8 .9
8/7/13 vl un CD4 840/39% CD8 .
11/29/18 vl un CD4 1080/39% CD8  .86

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 10:49:17 am »
For the "food" requirement all you really need is a slice of bread or two -- unless it clearly states "full meal" which I doubt it does.  Norvir just says "food" not meal, same with Truvada so I would assume that the Tenofovir component by itself is the same.

There were HIV medications back in the 90's that clearly required full meals, but I've not encountered this for a good decade I think.  I really don't worry about the food thing much because I tend to eat something small every couple hours as my meals are often small -- helps one metabolize better anyway and stay trim :)  So I figure I've always got a little something in my tummy that my meds can mix with.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline LTSurviver

• LTS since 1987. LTNP until 2008.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 10:55:52 am »
The information slip that comes with my tenofovir says that it should be taken with food. Maybe the advice is different depending where you are?

http://www.viread.com/

How should I take VIREAD?
*Stay under a healthcare provider's care when taking VIREAD. Do not change your treatment or stop treatment without first talking with your healthcare provider.
*Take VIREAD exactly as your healthcare provider prescribed it. Follow the directions from your healthcare provider, exactly as written on the label. Set up a dosing schedule and follow it carefully.
*If you are taking VIREAD to treat your HIV or if you have HIV and HBV co-infection and are taking VIREAD, always take VIREAD in combination with other anti-HIV medicines. VIREAD and other products like VIREAD may be less likely to work in the future if you are not taking VIREAD with other anti-HIV medicines because you may develop resistance to those medicines.
*Talk to your doctor about taking an HIV test before you start treatment with VIREAD for chronic hepatitis B.
*The usual dose of VIREAD is 1 tablet once a day. If you have kidney problems, your healthcare provider may recommend that you take VIREAD less frequently.
***VIREAD may be taken with or without a meal.
*When your VIREAD supply starts to run low, get more from your healthcare provider or pharmacy. This is very important because the amount of virus in your blood may increase if the medicine is stopped for even a short time. The virus may develop resistance to VIREAD and become harder to treat.
*Only take medicine that has been prescribed specifically for you. Do not give VIREAD to others or take medicine prescribed for someone else.

Offline BM

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 01:40:18 pm »
That is strange. The advice seems to be different in Europe. Here's what my leaflet says (the bold parts are in bold on the leaflet as well):

Taking Viread with food and drink

Take Viread with food (for example, a meal or a snack).

I thought the advice with Atripla was not so much not to take it with food as not to take it with food that has a high fat content.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 03:06:16 pm »

From the drug section ;

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Viread_1587.shtml

What is already known about Viread?
The dose is one 300mg pill, taken once a day. Truvada, which contains Viread and Emtriva, needs to be taken once a day.

Viread can be taken either with or without food.

Viread is not approved for children younger than 18 years of age. To learn about treatment options for children, click here.

Studies have demonstrated that Viread is effective for the treatment of HIV when combined with other anti-HIV drugs, usually at least one other nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI) and either a protease inhibitor or non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI). Viread should not be taken alone (as monotherapy) or with just one other anti-HIV drug.

For HIV-positive adults beginning anti-HIV drug therapy for the first time, Viread is listed as a "preferred" NRTI option—used in combination with Sustiva (efavirenz) and either Epivir (3TC) or Emtriva (emtricitabine)—by the United States Department of Health and Human Services in its treatment guidelines. Alternative ways to use Viread, in a first-time drug regimen, are also listed. To learn more about these recommendations and options, click here.

Viread is active against many strains of HIV resistant to Retrovir (AZT), Zerit (d4T), Videx/Videx EC (ddI), Hivid (ddC), and Ziagen (abacavir). There is also some data from studies indicating that HIV that has become resistant to Epivir (3TC) may be even more sensitive to Viread. The drug is also active against virus containing the Q151M mutation—a single mutation that results in high-level resistance to multiple nucleoside analogues.

Viread may be less active against strains of HIV that contain the K65R mutation in its reverse transcriptase gene. To figure out if your virus has this mutation, your doctor can order a genotypic drug-resistance test. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still have food, when I take my meds .  It makes it easier on the gut.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BM

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 03:26:39 pm »
I think the main conclusion here is to take Viread with food when visiting the UK!  ;D

Offline LTSurviver

• LTS since 1987. LTNP until 2008.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 03:52:02 pm »
Well, My Walgreens pamphlet suggests taking Truvada with food if stomach upset occurs.

Hmmmmm.  Maybe that's why they say that in the UK?  A minority of people got upset stomachs after taking Viread (one of the drugs in Truvada)?

I always take my Truvada within a couple hours after dinner... so I've never had that issue.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 04:29:45 pm »
According to aidsmeds.com,  "Reyataz should be taken with food, preferably a complete nutritious meal, to ensure proper absorption of the drug into the bloodstream."

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 05:49:52 pm »
I take Reyataz/Norvir and Atripla -- You really should be taking your Reyataz with food -- the stomach acid produced due to the food will help increase the absorption to more effective levels.

Here is a small bit from the prescibing info:

Coadministration of a single 300-mg dose of REYATAZ and a 100-mg dose of ritonavir
with a light meal (336 kcal, 5.1 g fat, 9.3 g protein) resulted in a 33% increase in the
AUC and a 40% increase in both the Cmax and the 24-hour concentration of atazanavir
relative to the fasting state.

so you don't need a full meal, but a light one is recommended.  I do remember my doc telling me that in a pinch some peanut butter crackers is better than nothing.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.