Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 365
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Not too happy with Walgreen's  (Read 17614 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Not too happy with Walgreen's
« on: March 03, 2009, 12:29:31 pm »
Ever since I became reliant on Medicare Part D for my drug coverage, I have used Walgreen's.  This year, the State of AL MEDCAP program has screwed me royally -- we have Blue Cross/Blue Sheild's Blue RX plan (option 2) which has NO coverage for generic meds in the donut hole.  I entered the donut hole in February; phoned in a refill of one of my cardiac meds to Walgreen's (Carvedilol).   When I got to the counter, they said it would be $69.99.   I knew for a fact that my brother gets this med (generic) at Wal-Mart for $4.   So I asked them about it.   Walgreen's has a generic "plan" that you can sign up for, to receive your meds at a cost of $1 per week....BUT, you can't sign up for it if you have any type of insurance coverage.   I explained that I am in the donut hole, and thus have NO coverage (and won't have any the rest of this year) but they said "too bad, we can't help you.".   I forced them to take back the $69.99 drug, and had them phone the prescription across the street to Wal-Mart.   I HATE having to use Wal-Mart's pharmacy; they're super-crowded, always busy, short staffed, and it's just a pain in the butt to have to go there.  Looks like I'll be using them now, though...

:'(

Edited to add:   I just looked it up on Walgreen's website; it claims that Federal and State Statutes prohibit you from participating in this program if you are enrolled in a Federally funded drug program (i.e. Medicare, Medicaid)
So how does Wal-Mart get around this?   Our healthcare system is SO BROKEN    I don't know any two people who pay the same price for the same drug.   Everyone you talk to pays something different.....now, to my way of thinking, that is just plain WRONG.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:25:42 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Not too happy with Walgreen's
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:01:22 pm »
I explained that I am in the donut hole, and thus have NO coverage (and won't have any the rest of this year)
Not trying to cause a problem here; I'm just curious about your situation. ;) (I had BC/BS last year; but was changed to another medicare part D plan this year as BC/BS prices were raised.) How does it happen that by only the third month in the year you have already lost any prescription coverage? I just don't understand about this "donut hole" stuff.

With my medicare part D plan, I have about a $14 co-pay for 5 or 6 meds (that I didn't have before Part D. Argh!) for the first 5 months of the year until I have paid a certain amount. After that I don't have to pay anything for my meds for the rest of the year. Ohio ADAP pays my spend-down amount so that I receive an Ohio medical card at the start of each month, which covers the doctor and labwork.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:54:32 pm »
Alanbama,

At least instead of wringing your hands and whining, you took charge of the situation. I knew about WalMart's plan but not about Walgreen's.

I don't understand the donut hole stuff either.

Ron~
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 04:00:27 pm »
The "donut hole" is the coverage gap...when you have spent (or someone else, on your behalf has spent) $2,700 in total drug costs, you are in the GAP.  You have no coverage, until you (or someone on your behalf)  spend OUT OF POCKET the next $1,650 to reach $4,350.  At that point, coverage resumes at "catastrophic level".

One month of my HIV meds plus a few other things puts me into the gap.

Then, the State of AL provides my HIV meds, but does not run them through Blue Cross, so they don't count towards that $1,650 that must be spent.   So I never get out of the donut hole.   It is insane.
If I had $1,650 to spend on meds, I wouldn't be enrolled in the state's MEDCAP program to begin with.

I may consider the option of withdrawing from the plan, and trying to pay for my own Part D plan.   
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 05:58:29 pm »
all "this" ::) is the reason I never moved back to NC  :D

after Randy died in 94 and I was hospitalized in 97, I know I should have paid more attention to the details of my SS disability, medicare, OH welfare, foodstamps, and OH medical card. But all those doctors and myself was pretty certain I wasn't going to outlive the PCP, so I didn't care where I signed or what the numbers were, as long as I got medical help. ;)

So I don't know all the details; but I do know that for the last 10 years in OH, I've had medical coverage (6-8 doc visits and labwork a yr; 9 days worth of hospitalization; 4 ER/Statcare visits) and medications pretty much without any out-of-pocket costs for me, ;D until this Part D went into effect a couple yrs ago. :(

I'm not complaining though! No, no. I'm quite happy to pay ~$100 out of my ~$6000 SS disability income a year to have my medicine. ;D I've gone off meds a couple times and learned that without meds I end up in the hospital and literally dying within 9 months. I have no idea what getting medical assistance would entail if I left Canton and went back to Charlotte; but I've been too scared that I might "mess up" my medical assistance, and screw myself into being dead :o, all for a chance of living near my family. So I stay up here in the cold and snowy Winter weather with my Yankee friends, and remember when I used to get kites on my birthday instead of blizzards. :D ROFL

It often scares me how much I depend upon the gov't to help me get these meds that are the only thing keeping me from death. I often think that's the biggest thing that the newly positive and the media in general just don't get. HIV is still a very terminal disease :o......without the meds. ;) A case in point, my Jim dying last year. Never knew he was poz, never took meds, and now he's dead. :'( I know I worry about too many damned things; but I already handle a lot of my own problems, living in a dying town of 75000 with no ASO or support groups. If the state or federal gov't would fail to help me obtain meds, well, then within a year, I guarantee that I'll probably be just as dead as Jim. ::)

Everyone you talk to pays something different.....now, to my way of thinking, that is just plain WRONG.
in the thread hiv treatment: price per country, I learned about different pricing when chatting with AndyArrow. In Indiana, the cost of his norvir is nearly triple the cost of norvir for me in Ohio. Compared to mine, his out of pocket expense for the meds was pretty bad too. Something like $1000 every 3 months while I pay about $100 for 12 months. We live in neighboring states so I'm really amazed at the difference state by state.

I just swallow my meds and keep telling myself: "I love snowy Ohio", "I love snowy Ohio", "I love snowy Ohio"  ;) :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:22:22 pm »
Oh sweetie,  I am so sorry you're having this awful continuous battle trying to get your meds.  You said it, the system is extremely broken.  You shouldn't have to pay anything for your meds, well, in an idealistic world.  Good luck.
 Luv ya,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 08:47:16 pm »
The "donut hole" is the coverage gap...when you have spent (or someone else, on your behalf has spent) $2,700 in total drug costs, you are in the GAP.  You have no coverage, until you (or someone on your behalf)  spend OUT OF POCKET the next $1,650 to reach $4,350.  At that point, coverage resumes at "catastrophic level".

One month of my HIV meds plus a few other things puts me into the gap.

Why don't you have "Extra Help" that's a Federal Program provided by the Social Security Administration
if you are in the 150% to 200% low income bracket, it also qualifies you for the State Medicaid Program that only pays for your Part D Premiums, but not the Full Medicaid benefit , that's what I have, and my HIV-MEDS cost so damm much, that I never reach the "Donut Hole"  every year, I'll pay about 18 to 28
dollars for co-pays for about 3 months, then after that, I pay no more co-pays for the rest of the yr.

I  still, have to (re-apply) for the Medicaid Premium Program ( the one that pays for my Medicare Part D Premium) every Yr. and that's a pain in the ass, as my local Medicad office looses paper-work, and can't seem to find it, until it's just about time to expire, it's called ( Re-Certification), and every yr. I get someone new, and they seem to not know what's going on, like I said it's a pain, but, it saves me about 1,200 a yr. getting my Medicare Part D premiums paid for, so, it's well worth the hassel to me........ ;)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:51:27 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 07:05:48 am »
   Why don't you have "Extra Help" that's a Federal Program provided by the Social Security Administration
if you are in the 150% to 200% low income bracket, it also qualifies you for the State Medicaid Program that only pays for your Part D Premiums, but not the Full Medicaid benefit , that's what I have, and my HIV-MEDS cost so damm much, that I never reach the "Donut Hole"  every year, I'll pay about 18 to 28
dollars for co-pays for about 3 months, then after that, I pay no more co-pays for the rest of the yr.

I  still, have to (re-apply) for the Medicaid Premium Program ( the one that pays for my Medicare Part D Premium) every Yr. and that's a pain in the ass, as my local Medicad office looses paper-work, and can't seem to find it, until it's just about time to expire, it's called ( Re-Certification), and every yr. I get someone new, and they seem to not know what's going on, like I said it's a pain, but, it saves me about 1,200 a yr. getting my Medicare Part D premiums paid for, so, it's well worth the hassel to me........ ;)

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment but by a strange coincidence I just got a letter from the Department of Health & Human Services saying that I automatically qualify for "Extra Help"  The letter (which is PURPLE ... and for some reason this is VERY important  :-\ ) says I qualify beginning June 1, 2009 -- that's when my 30 month wait is over and I'll finally qualify for Medicare!  :D

One line on the paper reads:

Be sure to bring this purple letter with you when you go to get a prescription filled, so the pharmacist knows you qualify for extra help.

This purple letter also tells me that Medicare will automatically enroll me in a plan.  The letter telling what plan they've selected will be either yellow or green.  I'm not sure why or what is the difference between a yellow or green letter.  I also don't know why they don't already know what color letter I'm getting.  It also says I can join a different plan if I so choose.  I'm not sure if that will involve a different colored letter or not.  ;)

Anyway, getting back to Alan.  If you weren't enrolled in this because some slipped up you can enroll online or call 1-800-772-1213 to have form SSA-1020 mailed out.  (I just looked it up)  My purple letter also gives a number to call with questions.  1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).  It also refers you to your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).  I hope maybe some of that was helpful.

As for Walgreen's I completely understand your frustrations.  I always go there because the Walgreen's by me is an HIV specialty pharmacy.  Walgreen's only has these specialty pharmacies in 18 states so I'm very fortunate.  The staff is really knowledgeable and helpful.  When I had to go on Fuzeon the pharmacy manager took me into his private office and had me practice doing the injections. Or when I was on valganciclovir for CMV and I couldn't swallow the pills whole because of the stricture in my esophagus and you can't crush or split the pills because of toxins.  The pharmacist had to wear this bio-hazard uniform to create a liquid suspension that I could poor down my feeding tube.   On the other hand if you have to pay out of pocket their prices are usually higher than most other pharmacies.

Because Walgreen's prescription savings plan is a pay to join type the can't accept government funds or something like that.  Wal-mart's is open to anyone and they are willing to take a loss on some drugs just to get you in the store.  Everyone I know who gets their drugs from Wal-mart complains about the service at the pharmacy.  Is there perhaps a Target somewhere near you.  They also have the $4.00 drug plan and I checked Carvedilol is on their plan too.  The Target staff is so much friendly too.

Good Luck!
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:42:17 am »
Hi Guys

denb, I am one of the 'higher income' poor folks -- my SSD is about $1,500 a month, so I do not qualify for 'extra help' with Medicare. (I had to have the denial letter plus Medicaid denial letter in order to enroll in the AL MEDCAP program).

AA, I sure wish I could use Target!  Unfortunately, in this one horse town, Wal-Mart is it.   We have a K-Mart, and I am not sure about their generic plans.....maybe I need to look into it.

hugs,

Alan

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:30:11 am »
Hi Guys

denb, I am one of the 'higher income' poor folks -- my SSD is about $1,500 a month, so I do not qualify for 'extra help' with Medicare. (I had to have the denial letter plus Medicaid denial letter in order to enroll in the AL MEDCAP program).

AA, I sure wish I could use Target!  Unfortunately, in this one horse town, Wal-Mart is it.   We have a K-Mart, and I am not sure about their generic plans.....maybe I need to look into it.

hugs,

Alan

Humm.....I also have a Teamsters Pension, but that's not counted against me, ( cuz it's less than 10K a yr. mark) as well as my SSDI, so I make as much as you do, you might want to check that out, that doesn't seem right to me, that you don't qualify for extra help..... that is suppose to off-set the High-cost of HIV-meds along with the part D program.... ( however my SSDI isn't as much as yours, so that could be why?)............what is Medcap? I've never heard of that one before?

So, you don't qualify for ADAP as well huh? here in New Mexico you can make up to 33, 000 a yr. before you don't get ADAP, but the way ADAP is now, it's only temporary, if you don't have any other health Ins. or your on Medicare Part D or Medicaid ........I liked the way it was before, I was forced to go on Part D 3 yrs ago and taken off ADAP after 13 yrs. Strange the way they do things now, and I understand that every State is different.......Wallie-World sounds like your best bet then Alan  :o
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:51:09 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:03:54 pm »
Hi Guys

hugs,

Alan

Something doesn't seem right and maybe it has to do with your being in AL MEDCAP and not traditional Medicaid.  It seems like each state has to have their own screwy system just to make things more difficult.  Here's how it works for me in the barren wastelands of Indiana.

My RRD (equivalent to your SSD) is just under $1,700 a month.  For Indiana this is about $1,000 too much to get unrestricted Medicaid.  Therefore, Indiana medicaid won't pay for anything until I first shell out $1,000 (actually it's $998) each month I need to use medicaid for doctors visits or drugs or whatever.  So, I have traditional medicaid but with a "spend down".

My purple letter says I'll get the extra help once my medicare kicks in.  So, it seems like either someone messed up my paperwork and I'm not entitled to this ... or you are being royally screwed by someone.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 12:13:59 pm »
Social Security's website states that to receive extra help (Low Income Subsidy Assistance),  your income can be no more than $16,245 (individual) or $21,855 (married).    I did go ahead and fill out the request for extra help even though I knew I would be denied, because the denial letter was required to enroll in Alabama's MEDCAP program (stands for Medicare Part D Client Assistance Plan).   It is a part of the ADAP program.

Currently, there are 47 of us in Alabama enrolled in MEDCAP.

It is all so complex and confusing, it's a wonder anyone can make any sense of it at all.   To add another layer of complication to the mix, the 47 of us enrolled MUST sign up for Blue Cross's Blue RX plan, option 2.   Our premium notices are mailed to us; then we have to send them to United Way of central Alabama, who pays the premiums on behalf of MEDCAP to Blue Cross.   That gets screwed up all the time, and we are always getting notices from Blue Cross that we're going to be 'cut off'.

I probably should never have moved back home from Georgia in 2001.   Hindsight is 20/20, right?   I'm just thankful that I get my HIV meds, my virus is controlled, and my T-cells are in the 400-500 range.   My health has certainly been much worse in the past.   My issues now involve mostly aging with HIV -- arthritis, joint pain, high blood pressure, etc.

Every year since I was diagnosed with HIV in 1987, I have seen changes in my own personal healthcare system, and the changes have not been for the better.   Back then (thank God) I had good insurance, and everything was covered 100%.   During the years I was dying with AIDS, I had the best medical care, at a quality hospital with a fantastic doctor.   If I was as sick now as I was then, I would surely die, because of the quality of the state of my healthcare now.   I would never be able to afford the expensive medicines and extensive hospital stays that allowed me to survive.   That is one thing I can say about those "dark days" -- I was dying, but at least I was getting great care.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:26:35 pm by AlanBama »

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 12:37:52 pm »
humm...... I'm just under the 16,245 (individual) for SSDI, but that doesn't include my Teamsters Pension which is about 300.00 a month, way under my SSDI being 1,240.00, if it wasn't for the SSDI, I wouldn't be able to live on just 300 a month, so maybe that's why nobody counts that as substantial income ( at least Medicad and SSDI and the IRS dosen't think it's substantial income)  I make 20 to 60 dollars less a month than you do around 1,480.00 ( I'm lucky tho, I live with somone, who has about the same income as I do)...so yeah Alan, I'm one of the lower-income-poor, just like you are.......but your State doesn't seem to be well funded for HIV/ADIS, and that may have a lot to do with this.........anyway, Thanks for the clarification of MEDCAP .............I still don't understand WHY, you cannot get the "Extra Help" tho, you really don't make that much more than I do ???
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:50:45 pm by denb45 »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 12:47:54 pm »
My poor little head is about to explode trying to follow all this ... but I'm still don't know why you were denied the extra help, Alan.  That is unless you've got a really big bank account. 

Your income can not be more than $16, 245 ... I read that bit too.  But I don' t think you read further down the page.  So I'll cut and paste and link the web page.

What is the income limit?

To qualify for Extra Help with Medicare prescription drug plan costs, your annual income must be limited to $16,245 for an individual ($21,855 for a married couple living together).

Even if your annual income is higher, you still may be able to get some help. Some examples where your income may be higher include if you or your spouse:

* Support other family members who live with you;
    * Have earnings from work; or
    * Live in Alaska or Hawaii

[Back to top]

What does not count as income?

Not all cash payments count as income. For example, Social Security will not count:

* Food stamp assistance;
    * Home energy assistance;
    * Medical treatment and drugs;
    * Housing assistance;
    * Disaster assistance;
    * Earned income tax credit payments;
    * Victim’s compensation; and
    * Scholarships and education grants.

[Back to top]

What is the resource limit?

To get the Extra Help, your total resources must be limited to $12,510 for an individual ($25,010 for a married couple living together).

The key there was Social Security does NOT count as income.  So unless you've got $12,510 stocked away in the bank it seems like you should qualify.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10115.html#what

So to me that means you should qualify ... but maybe I missing something.

AA

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 12:51:06 pm »
I probably should never have moved back home from Georgia in 2001
See? I told you that's why I never bothered moving back home to NC. ROFL

I did throw out a housemate back at Thanksgiving, so there is an extra room here at my house in Ohio.  ;) And OH medicare/medicaid doesn't sound as confusing as it does in AL. ;D

Don't worry either. It isn't as tough driving in the snow as you'd think ;) and we do have Summer - cause I still have the tanline from last year to prove it.  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 01:05:51 pm »
See? I told you that's why I never bothered moving back home to NC. ROFL

I did throw out a housemate back at Thanksgiving, so there is an extra room here at my house in Ohio.  ;) And OH medicare/medicaid doesn't sound as confusing as it does in AL. ;D

Don't worry either. It isn't as tough driving in the snow as you'd think ;) and we do have Summer - cause I still have the tanline from last year to prove it.  :D

Oh come-on Mikie.......show us that nice tan-line of yours, I wanna see the full monty  :P

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 01:15:27 pm »
Show Us!!!  You can't just say something like that and then not be willing to prove it!  ;) :o :-*

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 02:01:57 pm »
ok, you pervs  :-*
I should have turned a bit more to get my biohaz tat in the image; but please ignore the thermal underwear. it's still chilly here today, as we usually haven't passed blizzard weather potential until after my bday on the 14th.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 02:07:50 pm »
ok, you pervs  :-*
I should have turned a bit more to get my biohaz tat in the image; but please ignore the thermal underwear. it's still chilly here today, as we usually haven't passed blizzard weather potential until after my bday on the 14th.  ;)

hummmm......now that's what I was talking about, wish I could see more, but I'll take whatever I can get at 52 yrs of age  ;D THANK YOU  Mikie, it made my day, and OH yes I'm a Prev.........

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 04:38:29 pm »
If I admit to being a perv do I get to see more pics????  ::)  BTW -- VERY NICE!  ;)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 07:59:09 pm »
Hello Alan,

Sorry you are having the trouble dealing with Walgreens.  They've treated me pretty well through the years, but at the same time I haven't had to deal with Donut holes, medicare... and all the bull, that goes along with it.  Hopefully they will get this healthcare mess straightened out some day.  The sooner the better.

Hugs----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 10:21:29 pm »
Hey Alan,

I'm sorry this is still being such a problem. The Part D stuff - especially the donut hole - is absolutely stupid.

I don't know what numbskull thought that plan up, but they should have to live on it.

Maybe this new administration will be able to sort some of these things out.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 11:37:50 pm »
Hey Alan,

I'm sorry this is still being such a problem. The Part D stuff - especially the donut hole - is absolutely stupid.

I don't know what numbskull thought that plan up, but they should have to live on it.

Maybe this new administration will be able to sort some of these things out.

HUGS,

Mark

The BUSH ADMINISTRATION and the Congress members thought that one up, and got enough Votes and Passed this ill-fated-thing..........back in 2005, and it is full of loop-holes, and really is a mess, it only works for some people, but ,not for everyone else, that is why it's so screwed up in the 1st place...BUSH did this and wanted it passed, so Medicare people would stop buying meds from Canada & Europe via the internet for cheaper MEDS, but Bush let the RX Companies set the prices instead of negotiating lower prices.........BUSH Stopped Medicare form negotiating a better Drug Price.......
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:56:10 pm by denb45 »

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 03:53:24 pm »
Well, on a more positive note, I just received my February Blue RX Statement.  It appears that this year, they are running my HIV meds through Blue Cross (and thus will pull me OUT of the donut hole!)   It says "Paid by you or on your behalf by others - Ziagen, $481.68".

Isn't it wild how I never know from year to year what my situation will be?   Talk about impossible to plan!

I'll most likely still use Wal-Mart, because even at "catastrophic" level, my generics will probably be cheaper than at Walgreen's. 

:-*        Thanks for all the love & support!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 05:31:52 pm »

Isn't it wild how I never know from year to year what my situation will be?   Talk about impossible to plan!

Wild or atrocious?  It took Pennsylvania a while to iron out the Med-D crap.  The first year and a half I paid my own premiums because I'd been told I didn't qualify to have Ryan White pay, which was wrong I later found out and now they pay for them.  That wasted about $1,000 of my own money.  Then every year they make me pick out a new plan because the premium goes up so high on the one I had that year.  They finally started handling all of that paperwork for me through their office in Harrisburg so for the first time this year everything went off without a single hitch.

It's all so tired really.  I long for the days when everything just went through ADAP.

That said I never have dealt with the donut hole issue a single time -- it's always picked up by Ryan White.  I still don't understand why yours isn't.  Guess it's a state thing.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 07:52:03 pm »
"Paid by you or on your behalf by others"
WooHoo! ;D
Hopefully next month (and the month after, etc) will work out too ;)

leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 10:14:21 pm »
Well Alan, I'm glad that worked out for you.

It is terribly frustrating not being able to plan. It was that way when I was working at the paper. It seemed like we switched insurance plans every year.

The real problem was when I had to switch pharmacies and doctors because of the insurance switch.

I hope things continue to be better for you.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.