Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:15:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 318
Total: 319

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Did you get this early symptom?  (Read 8687 times)

Offline maninthai

Did you get this early symptom?
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:14:52 am »
I just want to know if ARS symptoms can come on within 2 weeks of a possible exposure? I have been sweating a bit but I am in a hot country at the moment (32C durin the day and high humidity), but am in the middle of a worry about an incident with a female who I do not think was a female (but she had a vagina) and I used a condom which kind of had a little rip halfway along it when I looked at it after having taken it out. I think the hea part was still covered.

Do people with ARS sweats have them because of a fever? I do not have a  fever and it is not 2 weeks yet. I have not had any night sweats, but during the day I feel sweaty but i think it is because of the humidity and heat. I  had a PCR test done about 2.5-3 days after the event and the doc said it was negative. I have read on this website somewhere that these tests can be accurate within 48-72 hours but I have also read other websites which say 10 days for these tests so i am still worried. Why would they say 48-72 hours on here and 10 days on a lab website which does the test.

Offline maninthai

whats risk of infection from a transexual (male-female) if condom broke
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 11:47:09 am »
First of all I did not know this SE asia female was a ladyboy (with a vagina), and i do not know her HIV status. I think the condom broke half way up, I checked the bottom part where the head of the penis was and I think it was still covered alright, but I could not understand where my seaman had gone, unless some was still in there, but it all seemed to go flat. I took it out by the way in one piece. I also gave (her) oral for 5 minutes.....she went wet, but i dont understand what hormone it is with them. I do not think (she!) had any menstruation. Also, I kissed her and she had her tongue in my mouth, again no blood I dont think.

I have been very worried as I read somewhere that some trans... have a high HIV, although I asked this one about drugs and she said she did not take drugs at all.

I had a PCR about 3 days later and it was negative. doctor thought this was ok but ive read u need to check 3 months later as per usual.

can someone tell me the risk and answer my question please...but do not guess if u dont know the answer.

Offline RapidRod

First off you will not be permitted to TROLL this forum like you did at Medhelp. Go back and read the "Welcome" thread and the posting guidelines.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: are symptoms possible within 2 weeks?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 12:45:25 pm »
man,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

As long as the head of your penis was still covered, you did not have a risk for hiv infection. I would not expect you to test positive as a result of your encounter.

Don't keep coming back here with symptoms. We do not discuss symptoms here as neither symptoms nor the lack of them will tell you anything about your hiv status. Only testing will reveal your hiv status.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline maninthai

Did you get this early symptom?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 05:45:18 am »
Hi

I have been feeling uncomfortable/achey in the groin area for approx 3 weeks and I also get jabs of pain behind my ears. I believe there is something wrong, although I have had an hiv test done 7 weeks after an incident I want to rule out. My doctor couldnt see any swollen glands when he looked but there is a  definite uncomfortable sensation..I felt it last night while standing at the bar and I am feeling it now sitting down, but there is nothing to see, nothing swollen up. Again, my ears att he back sting slightly. Im not being paranoid, it is happening, and I am worried it might be HIV. So, has anyone had this symptom as I have explained it? I do not have a fever or rash. I was wondering whether is could be a different STD but I have had a negative syphilis at the same time as my 7 week negative HIV test.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Did you get this early symptom?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:16:50 am »
Do not start new threads for every question and concern you have. Keep all your questions in your original thread.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:45:31 am »
This is the second time we have merged your thread..keep all your question in this one from now on, do not start a new thread everytime you have a new question.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline maninthai

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 07:04:38 am »
ok thanks

And now to the question I posed and my symptoms? Most people I have read on the just tested poz forum say they felt unwell with sweating and rash as far as I can tell and that their seroconversion was quite bad. I am really worried about these symptoms as they have been there for the last 3 weeks now albeit sometimes not as bad as others. I had the negative test after these symptoms started. Perhaps it is another STD, i think you can get chlamydia from oral but not sure.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 07:25:33 am »
Not all people that test positive have had any symptoms. That's why you can never go by symptoms.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 07:52:35 am »
Man, there is absolutely nothing which is in any way HIV specific about any symptom you are reporting. That's not surprising since from what you have reported you really didn't have a risky incident. As long as the condom covered the head of your penis then you were protected, even if it did develop a tear during intercourse.

You need to discuss your symptoms with your doctor if they continue. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV and we always advise anyone who's sexually active to have a full panel done regularly, which means at least once a year and more often if there are symptoms.

Make sure you aren't squeezing, fondling and otherwise bothering your glands. You can create a problem with them by doing that.

I don't see any need for HIV testing in this situation but if you're going to continue worrying then test at 13 weeks and collect what I certainly expect will be a negative result.   
Andy Velez

Offline maninthai

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 08:14:11 am »
Thanks for your reply. I am not concerned about the condom tear, I am more concerned about whether he has done anything, because I woke up and "she" was brushing my arm and then lay down to sleep when I awoke. I didnt think anything of it at the time because a) I thought she was a female at that point in time and b) I don't remember any blood.......but now I am experiencing stinging pains behind my ears and in my groin so obviously I am going to be concerned NOW about this sexual encounter. She even took delight in telling me in the morning in a round about way that she was actually a ladyboy. No one could have told that she was not female when she was done up, she was really convincing at the time and did not even have a low voice.

I am more worried whether when I awoke and "she" was brushing/touching my arm that she could have done something while I was asleep, I wouldnt be worrying if I did not have symptoms...although you say they are not HIV specific. Also, if it were HIV, then obviously there is someone out in Thailand who poses a significant danger to people. Hopefully it will turn out to be something different such as chlamydia.

Offline maninthai

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 08:16:04 am »
I forgot to ask whether 3 months is conclusive for needlestick transmission too.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 08:30:51 am »
What has a needlestick got to do with your incident? Nothing as far as I can tell. Seems like more anxious "what if" stuff to me. I've already told you what my opinion is about your incident. Not a risk. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline maninthai

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 08:45:40 am »
So, what I described then, no one who has contracted HIV has experienced this kind of symptom. And yes I am very anxious. I certainly don't want to be tricked by transgenders, I am heterosexual and always use a condom.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 08:53:23 am »
Man,

How many times do you have to be told that we don't discuss symptoms here? Your symptoms are meaningless when it comes to hiv. See a doctor about them.

As long as you always use a condom you don't need to worry about hiv. Your seven week negative is hardlly going to change after a no-risk event. Three months is conclusive no matter what the exposure.

It sounds to me like you never had an exposure.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline maninthai

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 10:38:42 am »
I will see the doc again, but I have never had jabs of pain behind my ear,knee and groin before. Do people who have hiv early symptoms get completely well then after the initial infection period, because these jabs of pain I am having started about 3 weeks ago now suddenly (this was about 5 and a half weeks after this sexual contact).

I also dont think people know what I mean about the risk....I woke up and this transgender seemed to be rubbing my arm and stopped and lay back as soon as I woke up. So, I am thinking of the possibility of having been infected on purpose AND I have these symptoms I have been telling you all about. So, far no one has said whether they got these symptoms or not in the beginning except someone said they are not HIV specific. I had a test at 7 weeks which was negative. It will be 9 weeks this wednesday and I was trying to wait until 12 weeks, but I dont know now if I should test before again.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 11:06:15 am »
Everyone understood you. You didn't have a risk. PERIOD...

Offline maninthai

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 11:42:02 am »
well I dont think this person is trustable at all and Im still wondering what he/she/it was doing or why he/she/it seemed to be rubbing my arm while I was asleep. Also if you look on the thread "how was your conversion", quite a lot of people say they had swollen glands....mine are not swollen but they (or something) are hurting in the places I have mentioned.

Funny that this has all started within the window period. Some peeps on that thread said they tested positive after the window period I think, dunno why but most tested positive during or shortl after their conversion so my 7 week test could possibly be correct. will have to wait and see.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 01:36:11 pm »
man,

You cannot become infected with hiv from someone rubbing your arm. You get infected from having UNPROTECTED anal or vaginal intercourse. Get real.

How many times do you have to be told that symptoms are meaningless when it comes to hiv? Take your symptoms to your doctor. Keep going on about your symptoms and no risk incident and you'll earn yourself a time out.

You did NOT have a risk for hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline maninthai

Re: window period for testing
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 11:00:26 am »
Is the rapid finger prick test just as sensitive and accurate as the hospital ELisa test? Do they both look for the same antibodies or is the Elisa more sensitive? I am going to have an 11 week test next week.

Offline maninthai

Re: window period for testing
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 11:02:51 am »
And why do the americans say the test should be conclusive at the start of 13 weeks and the UK when you get to 12 weeks (ie not the end of the 12 week, the beginning of it)

What's the difference in 6 days?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 12:13:38 pm »
Man,

I removed the posts you left in another person's thread and placed them here, in your own thread, which is the ONLY thead you should post in. Please read the Welcome Thread and abide by our posting guidelines.

The fingerprick tests are as accurate as any of the other approved hiv tests and they all look for the same thing.

The only difference in the UK vs US window period is how you define a month. There are twelve months in the year, but there are actually thirteen four-week periods in a year. There is no real difference otherwise. A twelve week negative result is not going to change at thirteen weeks. It's splitting hairs.

You, however, do not need testing. As you've been told, you didn't have a risk for hiv infection.

Keep posting about this no risk incident and keep ignoring our posting guidelines and you'll be given a time out.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline maninthai

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 01:24:34 pm »
I just had my follow up HIV Elisa test at 11 weeks (couldnt wait till 12 as busy next week) and it was negative, so I have put the irrational theories to rest now. Just waiting for a chlamydia test result.

However, as I was subjected to anxiety due to an encounter with a tranny I have come to the conclusion that uninfected people have the right to know if they are in danger of being infected and propose that the WHO make governments throughout the world get all its citizens to do mandatory HIV tests annually and then they will be issued with an ID card with their status on it....You already have to do this to get a visa for a job in quite a few foreign countries anyway.

Then when people meet each other in a bar or wherever, the norm will be to ask that person for their HIV ID card.

It's the only way to eradicate further infections.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 05:29:29 pm »
man,

ID cards are easily faked. Equal responsibility lies with anyone having intercourse - use condoms correctly and consistently and you won't need to look at anyone's card, a card which could easily be a forgery. You simply cannot legislate what goes on in the bedroom. It doesn't work.

Make sure you read all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can avoid breakage in future.

Your eleven week negative is not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.