Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:18:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 243
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Re: seroconversion  (Read 10443 times)

Offline jakie

Re: seroconversion
« on: September 09, 2006, 06:42:32 am »
I am new to this forum.  Not sure if this is the correct way to ask a q.  But here goes.

I am worried about a sexual encounter 15 weeks ago with a pros.  Went in for a Std panel meaning Hiv/HepB/HepC/Herpes1/Herpes2.  Thankfully, all neg at 105 days after exposure.  Short q:  Is this a definite negative outcome for all?  This forum is great and you are doing a wonderful service to so many.  I hope all of you enjoy MANY years of good health.

Again, I apologize if this is not the correct way to ask a q.  If I am lucky enough to get a response, please post in the 'Am I infected' section.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Re: seroconversion
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 08:30:04 am »
jakie,

I split your post out of Sacramento's thread into your own thread. Please keep all your additional thoughts or questions in this thread and this thread only. To find your thread when you come here, look under your name in the left hand column of any forum page and click on the "show posts" link.

The tests you took, at the time you took them, are conclusive. The window period for hiv is 12-13 weeks - that's 91 days maximum, and an hiv test anytime after 84 days is conclusive.

You don't mention whether or not you used a condom when you had intercourse. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Please also read the Welcome Thread and follow the Lessons links found there for further transmission and testing information.

You are hiv negative. Protect your negative status by using condoms. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jakie

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 01:27:27 pm »
Many Thanks for your assurance, Ann.  1 follow up comment and a final q.  I did use a condom so my risk was low.  You mentioned the 91 day window for Hiv.  My final q is this : Is a neg test at 105 days conclusive for HepB/HepC/herpes1 and 2?

I realize this may be outside the scope of this forum so if you cannot answer I will understand.

I am sure living with Hiv is a challenge and i hope you have MANY years of good health.

Thanks, again.

Jakie

Offline jakie

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 03:02:22 pm »
Ann, I am not sure if you saw my follow up q and comment.  Very briefly,  Is a 15 week(105 day) neg test for hepB,hepC,Herpes 1 and 2 a definite outcome?

many thanks for your help.  I saw your reply to the Hiv q and I am so relieved to put that behind me.  I have a feeling I know your answer to the other tests.  I only want to hear it from you.  This is a great forum and you are very kind to help so many so selflessly.

jakie   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:32:52 am »
jakie,

Re-read my first post to you. I already told you that ALL of your test results are conclusive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jakie

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 08:39:41 am »
Many thanks, Ann.  You gave me much peace of mind.   You are great to help so many so selflessly.  I hope you are well.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:53:07 am »
jakie,

I'm just fine, thanks, and so are you. You are hiv negative. Make sure you protect your negative status by using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions. If you haven't already, read through the condom and lube links in my signature line.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jakie

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 09:56:33 am »
Yea, i won't bother you any more with 'am I infected' qs.  You lifted a 50 lb weigth off my back.  This is my wakeup call.  I have a second chance at life now, knowing I am neg for Hiv/HepB/hepC/herpes.  You are a true healer of body,mind and soul.   Please be well, sweet Annie.  If a cure for Hiv is ever discovered.  I hope you get the first dose.

Offline jakie

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 03:28:38 pm »
no q today.  Just a sincere thank you to all you wonderful people here at the forum.  You gave me much peace of mind, especially sweet Annie.  I won't bother you any more with 'am I infected' qs.  Please stay well and have MANY years of good health.  You are great.

Jakie

Offline jakie

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 02:48:28 pm »
No q today.  Just a short comment that I hope everyone at aids.meds is well.  You guys are great and really are doing a wonderful service for a lot of people.  Ann helped me through a stressful time and now i feel as though I have my life back.  Please stay well everyone and don't ever leave us.  You would be missed so much
Jakie :-\

Btw, how do you attach one of the smiley faces?

Offline jakie

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 04:02:08 pm »
Just a general info q.

What is longest amount of time you know of for someone testing positive after a previous neg test?  Just curious.

This is a great forum for information.  you guys are doing a lot of good for so many.

Jakie

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 04:19:40 pm »
Jackie

The information on this subject is tricky to give.

The test have made much progress over the last few years. While there have been scattered reports of seroconversion post 6 months in the mid eighties - mid nineties (sometimes those reports have been a bit sketchy though and involved coinfection with hepC for example) this  is unheard with newer test technologies. It is agreed that with the newer tests introduced around 1998 all but a very small fraction will seroconvert within 6 weeks. To catch the outliers there is still the 13 weeks period in place.

6 months only counts for people with a severely damaged immunosystem such as chemotherapy or organ transplants or if one is a daily druguser for years..

Hope this helps.

Darkfiber

Offline jakie

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 02:56:41 pm »
Hello, everyone. 

I hope all of you are well and enjoying life.  Sweet Annie really helped me out with some good advice and now i am done with the worry and anxiety.  You guys are too nice.  What do you know about a vaccine or cure for Hiv?  Will that happen in our lifetime?
         Please be well and safe, everyone.  You are doing great things for a lot of people.

Offline jakie

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 01:42:08 pm »
Hello everyone, 

I hope all of you are well.  Have you heard any news about the Fda approving the pcr test for Hiv diagnosis?  I am not sure if that is good or not.  Could you tell me your thoughts?  If sweet Annie doesn't see this, tell her I hope she is well and loving life.  She really helped me through a bad time in my life so I am grateful.  For all of you, please stay well and enjoy many years of good health.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 03:26:26 pm »
jakie,

Yes, I know about that. It is a very specific test only to be used under very specific circumstances, ones we rarely see in this forum.

The test that has been approved is the APTIMA~ HIV-I RNA Qualitative Assay, an in vitro nucleic acid test (NAT) for the detection of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1).

The test, however, is not meant to be used as a stand-alone test for the diagnosis of HIV-1 infection.  A positive nucleic acid test should be viewed as a unconfirmed test result, indicating probable infection, and should be followed up later with traditional EIA antibody testing to confirm infection with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus.

This test is only intended for use in definite high risk situations where there is very good reason to suspect the patient has been recently infected. It is not intended for use after a low or no risk situation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jakie

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 09:54:58 am »
Thanks for the update, sweetie.  May I ask how you are?  Certainly not trying to be nosy and if this is none of my business, tell me.  I am grateful for your help and hope you are well.

jakie

Offline jakie

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 02:24:02 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I haven't checked in for awhile.  I hope all of you, especially Sweet Annie, are well and excited about Christmas and the holiday season.  You are doing a lot of good for so many people. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 02:45:08 pm »
Jakie,

Happy Winter Solstice and New Year to you too.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jakie

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 04:09:19 pm »
Annie,

Are you rooting for Osu in the national championship game for college football against Florida?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 07:22:37 am »
jakie,

I live on a Rock in the middle of the Irish Sea; I know nothing of American National Championships. Sorry. Now, quit hijacking your own thread.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jakie

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 08:12:56 am »
How do i ask a new q or just say 'Hi' without hikacking my own thread?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 09:52:27 am »
jakie,

Sorry, I was joking more than anything. I probably should have added a :D

If you're wanting to say hi and just be sociable, the best place for that is the Off Topic forum, which is the only other forum you're ok to post in.

If you want to ask additional transmission, risk or testing questions, please continue on in this thread.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jakie

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 10:01:02 am »
i'm with you, sweet annie.  I just hope you are well and enjoying the holidays.  I think of you as a friend even though we will probably never meet.  If i could have one wish, it would be to have a cure/vaccine for Hiv.  Maybe some day.

Offline jakie

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2006, 10:29:24 am »
This is a q for sweet annie.  I know you tell everyone three months is the outer limit for hiv testing.  Does that hold true for herpes testing as well?  I have a 15 week neg for hsv 1 and hsv 2 and would like to know if that is long enough to wait for a definite outcome for hepres testing.

Many thanks, Ann.  I hope you are well and enjoying the holidays with MANY more to come.

jakie

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.