Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:16:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 236
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Disability Quality Review Board  (Read 5537 times)

Offline bulldogpride02

• facebook
Disability Quality Review Board
« on: May 30, 2013, 01:20:41 pm »

So, let me try to break this down, not sure who all has read my other posts, and in lieu of a support group in central il to go and get advice on, I come to the forums again for advice.

Diagnosed a year ago, HIV/aids, pcp pneumonia, cyptococcal meningitis, lung deflated blah blah blah, from day 1 everyone told me to apply for ssi and ssdi, I waited a few months till the fall then finally had everything in order to start my disability application around Christmas.

I've sent them everything they needed of me, minus showing up at their office with my impressively large and organized big black medical binder (thank u OCD and grandma). I went to a required dr appt with some random dr last month who had no idea why I was sent there, let alone what was wrong with me. The whole appt was odd, the dr asked me a few stupid questions, looked at all the holes in my head, felt my stomach blah blah, then asked exactly what I was even there for. I explained my diagnosis and he abruptly sent me on my way.

I called my adap caseworker and my adjudicator for an explanation, but they were very little help. I was told to wait 10 to 14 days and callback if I hadn't heard anything. Yesterday was day 15, no word, so I called.

Adjudicator stated a decision had been made but he was no longer handling my case anymore and I'd need to contact the initial SS office I started with. Fine. I call there, they tell me the same thing about a decision being made but can't tell me what it is, BC my file was ''randomly selected'' by the Quality Review Board ''to ensure that all the T's were crossed and the i's dotted'' and that I should wait ANOTHER 14 days for my letter of approval or denial.

Both calls I felt were positive but a little sketchy, kinda like when your at a job interview or on a date and the other person isn't saying something but you can tell they are hiding it by being overly polite.

I'm coming up on 6 months without being able to work BC I don't want to eff up the decision, be it an approval, I can work still if I wanted its just I can no longer work as hard as normal for me. Growing tired easily and being very short tempered, when before I worked like a machine and could care less if ppl tried to get me mad, which I believe my dr attributed to my meds but won't change them just quite yet.

I'm unsure what all this QRB shit means, and Googling has become rather unproductive with all these stories from non-poz ppl about how horrible their disability processes went.

So I am putting it to the forums for your thoughts, advice, wisdom & experiences with this process.
Mainly regarding this Quality Review BS I'm waiting on now.
Jan 07, 2014 Cd4: 246
Dec 19 2012  Cd4: 157
Sept 18 2012 Cd4: 115
May 23 2012  Cd4: 34

Offline Gary S

Re: Disability Quality Review Board
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:21:58 pm »
I had the same thing happen to me. After I was approved, my case was "randomly" selected for review. Along with adding several weeks to me finally getting my award letter, it added a LOT of stress. I was told that another, completely different investigator would be reviewing my entire case and ensuring that the person that approved my application did EVERYTHING by the book. This person (I was told) has the ability to reverse the approval if they feel proper protocol was not followed.

They only have a set amount of time to complete this review. I don't recall how long that was however once that time has passed, if you call SSA, they can expedite the final decision for you. I did this and was FINALLY approved.

Hope this helps

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
Re: Disability Quality Review Board
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 09:58:55 am »
It sounds like you have a strong case for SSI. That is why they are having to *ahem* review it.

Follow the timeline you've been given. Get it in writing. If you've been told they're supposed to make a decision on  X day, make sure you call and follow up the very next day.

They are required to follow the timeline they've given you. If you don't keep following up, they will let your case languish.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.