Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:36:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 214
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Transmission, Oral, Negative and Positive  (Read 3897 times)

Offline SANJUANDUDE

Transmission, Oral, Negative and Positive
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:01:42 pm »
 :)  There are approximately 2/3 of the US states which require an HIV+ person to inform his or her sexual partner of their status.  Does this include even oral sex?  It seems that in some states, Florida for example, that the law is subject only to intercourse.   :-\   Also, I met two positive persons who swore up and down that if someone's viral load was "undetectable" that this did negate the person from having to inform his or her partner.  I wasn't sure what to think about that.
10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Transmission, Oral, Negative and Positive
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 12:05:04 pm »
There are states where the duty to inform is strict and furthermore, open to interpretation depending on the D.A. and the individual situation.  And it doesn't matter if there is undetectable viral loads, if you have safesex, and if there is no transmission. 

Some places in this world, one could do an obviously risk free sex act and be considered a criminal...  For not disclosing.

Your friends are misinformed...  Some places don't have these laws, some places do. That's the reality.

Maybe they are well aware of the laws where they are having sex and not disclosing...  If so, fine for them, I guess.

The message is - their behavior and moral code does NOT apply everywhere.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:08:17 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 12:08:57 pm »
very true, it varies from state to state.  Florida's law is pretty much defined as "intercourse" whereas Pennsylvania has one of the most strict laws that I have ever read, including North Dakota, and New Mexico, Arizona, Wyoming, New Hampshire, and Vermont do not have laws at all.   Alabama has a law against it, but the maximum is a misdemanor charge, but across the state line in Mississippi it is a felony.

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:10:44 pm »
Well its sounds like you are informed.... So what is unclear in your thinking? Why this post?
Here in Switzerland the judges are starting to consider undetectable status in such court cases. 
But a bad law on the books - you can't rely on getting a good judge.  Right.  8)
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 12:25:06 pm »
my point in this post is where does oral sex fit into this equation?  or does it.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:35:48 pm »
Instead of trusting forums answers, I'd search for specific revised codes pertaining to HIV and criminalization in the state you're inquiring about.  This borders on asking for legal advice. (IMO)

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 12:40:51 pm »
As wolfie says, one would have to refer to state laws where one is having sex.  A local ASO should be able to inform a bit.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/policies/law/states/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_transmission_of_HIV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_transmission_of_HIV_in_the_United_States

_________

A lot of people do not want to bother figuring out what laws might actually apply where they are having sex.
Its wilful ignorance.

It may be wishful thinking and self-rationalization to say that one's own undetectable status "exempts" one from disclosure, for this sex act or that sex act.   

There's either a law and a history of prosecutions, or there aren't... 

Just better know the facts and figure out your personal code of conduct in relation to the facts, not wishful thinking.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:43:28 pm by mecch »

Offline mecch

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:48:28 pm »
it came up in conversation last night with someone else, and I knew very very little about it.  Fortunately, I am not opening up this discussion for personal knowledge or advice.  Since I am +, it is best to just not have intimate relations unless the other person is also +.

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 12:59:31 pm »
One thing to point out in such conversations is to discuss that one's personal code of behavior is not the same thing as the laws that apply.

Its possible your friends were referring only to their own morality.  As in "I don't feel the need to disclose, according to my own moral code" is such and such a situation.

Thats different than saying I am exempt from a law that might apply....

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 03:52:11 pm »
my point in this post is where does oral sex fit into this equation?  or does it.

In Geogia there's a guy in prison right now for giving oral sex to men and not informing. Despite the impossibility of transmission.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.