Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:53:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 190
Total: 190

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: rapid test accuray taken while on combivir  (Read 3864 times)

Offline sgap1107

rapid test accuray taken while on combivir
« on: September 15, 2007, 06:16:04 pm »
Hello all,
      I had an accident at work recently where I got a blood spill on my hands in an open cut.  I had to go to the ER 2-3 hours following the incident and they put me on combivir.  They also tested me for HIV at the time and are continuing to follow me up until one year.  I am just wondering how accurate is the hiv rapid fingerstick test, and would combivir affect my test results since it is killing the virus if I did get infected?.............. Thank you.
                       sgap

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: rapid test accuray taken while on combivir
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 06:36:50 pm »
sg,

Didn't anyone explain the protocol to you? The combivir is what is called Post Exposure Prophylaxis - PEP. It's normally taken for 28 days after the exposure.

The three month window period begins at the end of the PEP. You need to test three months after your last dose of PEP for an accurate, conclusive result. As long as you are tested at the correct time, a rapid test is reliable.

Test at three months post-PEP, and that will be conclusive. You don't need to test out to one year.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sgap1107

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 06:44:39 pm »
ann thank you for your response- 
       i do understand the pep and the window period, however, to be certain, they follow their employees up until one year post exposure.  However, would the combivir affect the test.  For instance, if I was hiv positive before this exposure, would the combivir interfere with the accuracy of the result.  If an hiv infected person was on any antiviral, (not just combivir), would the result test negative?  In other words, would the viral load be undetectable???

thanks, sgap

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 06:52:35 pm »
sg,

The test looks for hiv antibodies and if you were already hiv positive, the test would show the antibodies regardless of any anti-hiv medication you were taking or for how long.

So no, the combivir itself won't affect the antibody test. However, as the combivir might delay seroconversion if you were actually infected through the accident, you need to test out to three months past the last dose of combivir.

I don't know why your company tests for a year - even six months would be overkill.

At the end of the day, it's highly unlikely, PEP or no PEP, that you would be infected in the manner you describe. If I'm reading you correctly, you work in a medical setting. Infections occuring this way outside of a medical emergency setting are less than rare. IN a medical setting they are rare as well.

If you were infected prior to this accident, your baseline hiv test would reflect that, unless your were infected less than six weeks before the accident.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.